Let's Talk Movies #33: Star Wars: Jabba Rising...Captain America Trumps China...and MORE!

Which Movies Might You See In 2017? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

• The Lego Batman Movie

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • The Great Wall

Votes: 5 8.6%
  • Logan

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • T2: Trainspotting

Votes: 8 13.8%
  • Kong: Skull Island

• Beauty and the Beast

Votes: 39 67.2%
  • Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2

Votes: 28 48.3%
  • Snatched

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Alien: Covenant

• Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales

Votes: 11 19.0%

• Total voters

Allskate

"Hidden Figures" was okay, but like @smurfy it seems like the most "commercial" of all the pictures in this field. I was really looking forward to this and was a bit let down, because I just felt the script wasn't up to snuff. And while I thought she was good, I was a bit surprised that Octavia Spencer got the Oscar nod of the three ladies. She's great (as always) but it's definitely the least showy part of the three major characters in the movie.

I do think that it was a commercial movie and not particularly creative other than the subject matter. But, it was different because it explored a kind of story that isn't usually explored. And I think it's important to explore it. (My first-grader niece, who always has liked dinosaurs, told my sister the other day that she can't be a paleontologist; some boys at school had told her that dinosaurs are only for boys. My niece has an aptitude for math and, even today, I think she'll still be led to believe that math is not the right path for her. I loved that, when I went to see the movie, there was a little boy with a NASA cap watching the movie. I hope that now little girls will start wearing NASA caps.)

Yes, Octavia was the least "showy" of the three characters, but she seemed more authentic because of that. I don't think that an African-American woman working for NASA back then could be very showy.

Allskate

@Allskate Phooey on what anyone tells your niece, there are some great women paleontologists!!! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...n-of-female-field_us_57bd45dfe4b029a9a4682239

My sister was furious. She was on the way home from school with my niece when my niece told her that dinosaurs were for boys. My sister stopped mid-way home and gave my niece a very serious and stern lecture about how she better not ever again hear her say that something was for boys or something was for girls. My niece has said things before about boys at school saying certain things (like Legos) were for boys and not for her. But, before she complained about that. This time she actually was believing it, which is what I think made my sister particularly upset. But, it's hard to escape. A few minutes after my sister told me this story she referred to "boy things" and "girl things" when she was talking about what her kids' friends like. It's hard to take on cultural norms. That's one of the reasons I like "Hidden Figures."

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
3 different parts? It is a coming of age story of a boy, at 3 stages in his life, about 10 years apart each time.
I love Moonlight - but it can be depressing - so as a distraction? just be aware it is very sad/disturbing at times.

Thanks for the warning. I will go to see something cheerful, as an antidote to Trump.

PeterG

Two events held yesterday:

32nd Independent Spirit Awards

Moonlight beat Jackie and Manchester By The Sea for best picture. Isabelle Huppert and Casey Affleck won best actress and actor, with supporting wins for Ben Foster (Hell or High Water) and Molly Shannon (Other People). Hmm, Other People hasn't been on my radar. Has anyone seen it?

Moonlight also won for director, screenplay, cinematography and editing. Toni Erdmann was the best international film winner.

37th Golden Raspberry Awards

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice swept the awards, winning four and tying "Hillary's America: The Secret History of the Democratic Party" which you know just has to be awful! :lol: Mel Gibson won the Razzie Redeemer awards, going from a previous nomination for Worst Supporting Actor nominee for The Expendables 3 to directing Hacksaw Ridge this year.

The Barry L. Bumstead Award (For a movie that cost a lot and lost a lot) went to Misconduct, the Al Pacino/Anthony Hopkins thriller. It cost 11 million to make, made 2 million internationally and must have been so bad that it never got a North American release.

snoopy

We saw Get Out tonight and loved it. I thought I was being dragged to see a Scream with some black kids. I had no idea it was going to be such a creative endeavor. And it's like ghost - you want to see it again for any clues you might have missed when you get the shocker at the end. Don't get put off by mentions of racism as a movie theme - there is a lot going on here outside of that. This is not a movie you've seen before.

Hmm, Other People hasn't been on my radar. Has anyone seen it?

It's worth watching. Molly Shannon I thought was fantastic in it, as was Jesse Plemons. It would have been easy to make it really saccharine but they managed to avoid that tendency. It maybe was a little too close to my own experience to be completely objective about the movie, though. I was pretty emotionally invested right away, but that probably also indicates how genuine it felt to me.

manhn

I liked the first half of Other People but it wore me down. I found the lead so self involved. His sisters were needing him, and his lack of attention to them really turned me off to him. But Molly was great.

Seerek

Moonlight- I had seen before and was even better on 2nd viewing. I just love this movie. The cinematography was amazing - I felt like a fly on the wall in personal scenes. All the acting was great, and appreciate the continuity between 3 actors playing the same part at different ages.

Lion - I really loved it, and as I had read - the first part with the young actor Sunny - was just the best. Dev Patel was good, and the last few moments of the movie really got me. I am glad Dev Patel got a nomination. Beautiful story.

Hidden Figures - I enjoyed this too, but not sure if it is 'best picture'. It is a little too Hollywoodish to me. The storyline is important, but it seemed standard to me, with a great cast. Also Taraji P Henson and Octavia Spencer seemed to have equal starring roles, not one leading the other supporting. Kevin Costner was excellent.

Agree with pretty much all of this.

I know that some viewers who prefer a more continuous flow in plot will likely be frustrated with the gaps in time in Moonlight, but the gentle storytelling (for the most part) of all 3 acts was a remarkable achievement given the subject matter at hand.

I was surprised to learn that Sunny Pawar was actually designated in the Lead Actor category for award season - still think he should have been under more serious consideration for nominee short lists.

Earlier in this thread, most people were of the opinion that Taraji was the sole lead as Katherine Jenkins, but yes, I do agree w/you that an argument could be made for Octavia as a co-lead.

PeterG

I was surprised to learn that Sunny Pawar was actually designated in the Lead Actor category for award season - still think he should have been under more serious consideration for nominee short lists.

Good info, because last night I was wondering, "...if Dev and Nicole were the supporting characters in Lion, who were the lead actor and actress"?

I also heard mention of Viola Davis now well on her way to being an EGOT winner (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony). She has everything now except the Grammy, but she said she can't sing to save her life. (Others have won Grammy's for spoken word recordings, though.) While looking into the wins of Davis, I saw that one of her two Tony wins was for Fences, where she won for lead actress. Did Denzel cut her part for the film version of Fences?

Jay42

Between the click of the light
I also heard mention of Viola Davis now well on her way to being an EGOT winner (Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony). She has everything now except the Grammy, but she said she can't sing to save her life. (Others have won Grammy's for spoken word recordings, though.) While looking into the wins of Davis, I saw that one of her two Tony wins was for Fences, where she won for lead actress. Did Denzel cut her part for the film version of Fences?
It was the studios decision to put Viola Davis in Supporting because they figured she'd have a better chance at winning. The Lead Actress category had been seen as early as September as a 2-way race between Emma Stone and Natalie Portman. With several other actresses, including Ruth Negga, Emily Blunt, Amy Adams (with 2 movies) and Jessica Chastain all having movies yet to come out, and Meryl Streep always being in the picture if she has a movie coming out, Lead Actress was very crowded very early on. They made it official the Viola Davis was going to be listed as Supporting around the end of October.

The role does have a history of category jumping, in it's original run on Broadway the actress when the Tony for Supporting Actress. Then they moved it to Lead for Viola Davis in 2010.

peibeck

Simply looking
The role does have a history of category jumping, in it's original run on Broadway the actress when the Tony for Supporting Actress. Then they moved it to Lead for Viola Davis in 2010.

Historically, for the Tony Awards, if a producer has listed an actor or actresses name "above the title" they are considered for Lead Actor/Actress. There is a more formal submission of consideration, but traditionally it follows that pathway.

Jay42

Between the click of the light
Historically, for the Tony Awards, if a producer has listed an actor or actresses name "above the title" they are considered for Lead Actor/Actress. There is a more formal submission of consideration, but traditionally it follows that pathway.
Thanks, I really don't know a lot about the structure of the Tony Awards. I only started paying attention to them in the last couple of years when I realised how many actors I like on TV shows also do a lot of Broadway.

Seerek

I'm very pleased for Viola Davis, yet I always wished Lisa Marie and James Earl Jones had a chance at a film version of Fences back in the 1980s (I did enjoy the TV movie version of Wilson's The Piano Lesson from the 1990s).

VGThuy

That's absolutely correct. I think if an above-the-title actor wants to be considered for "Featured" or one that isn't above-the-title wants to be considered for Lead, they appeal directly to the Tony Committee by a cut-off date before nominations are announced. It's a formality but one that needs to be done for procedural reasons.

Thanks, I really don't know a lot about the structure of the Tony Awards. I only started paying attention to them in the last couple of years when I realised how many actors I like on TV shows also do a lot of Broadway.

Someone told me a long time ago to not confuse "Featured" categories at the Tony Awards with "Supporting" categories at the Oscars and Emmys and saying that historically, the featured categories were just to give a "fair" shake to other actors who were not big, at times larger-than-life, stage stars like Ethel Merman or Mary Martin or Helen Hayes. It was more of a billing difference than size of role difference. Like how Yul Brynner won for Featured Actor in The King and I but won Best Lead Actor at the Oscars for the same role. Of course, billing and size of role are often correlated. I do think nowadays though, Featured Actor and Actress is pretty much treated like supporting.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
My sister was furious. She was on the way home from school with my niece when my niece told her that dinosaurs were for boys. My sister stopped mid-way home and gave my niece a very serious and stern lecture about how she better not ever again hear her say that something was for boys or something was for girls. My niece has said things before about boys at school saying certain things (like Legos) were for boys and not for her. But, before she complained about that. This time she actually was believing it, which is what I think made my sister particularly upset. But, it's hard to escape. A few minutes after my sister told me this story she referred to "boy things" and "girl things" when she was talking about what her kids' friends like. It's hard to take on cultural norms. That's one of the reasons I like "Hidden Figures."
I'm always very careful to let my kids know working hard is what matters not your gender. I fully intend to show them that movie especially for my daughter who shows interest in science which we value a lot in our house. We talked about how many great female scientists were and still are overlooked so this movie where not 1 but 3 great female scientists/engineers are portrayed, it's like a gift.
I don't know how old is your niece but if she hasn't already, she could read this very nice novel, Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier about Mary Anning's life, the fossil-hunter. Great read and right in your niece's center of interest with two very striking and passionate female leads.

Last edited:

Allskate

I don't know how old is your niece but if she hasn't already, she could read this very nice novel, Remarkable Creatures by Tracy Chevalier about Mary Anning's life, the fossil-hunter. Great read and right in your niece's center of interest with two very striking and passionate female leads.

I've read that book. :) My niece is about to turn six, though. I'm giving her some Wild Kratts books and Magic School Bus books for her birthday. She's also getting a toy for building circuits to go with the Magic School Bus book on electricity. She's been fascinated by electricity for a few years.

She's not really into movies, but is obsessed with Wild Kratts. And animals in general. The one movie she really wants to see is the Secret Life of Pets. She's fascinated by space and likes to make rockets, but I think she's too young to sit through Hidden Figures. She probably needs another couple of years.

I am really glad that kids will see these role models in Hidden Figures, though. When I went to the movie, I saw it with a friend who used to create software for satellites. She had never even heard about these women who worked at NASA.

PeterG

I saw Captain Fantastic last night, only because Viggo has been nominated for best actor by practically every award. This is such an obscure movie! Why couldn't they release it in November? I had not even heard of it until Viggo got the GG nomination. It's a good movie, but why such a weird title? It made me believe it must be one of the summer blockbusters which I usually avoid.

The scenery in the Pacific Northwest is gorgeous- not surprising, but I had not seen these isolated areas. The humor was good in places and crude in others. I am sure there are people that live like this, to avoid the current 'normal' lifestyle that makes people obese, eating the wrong food, and the traditional politics. Both are extremes.

One thing that really bothered me about this movie was that Leslie was mentioned as a Buddhist. She wanted her ashes to be flushed down the toilet? Buddhists would never do that. Though I don't have first hand knowledge about this, I think a more logical way would be for the ashes to be sent into a river, ocean- a natural body of flowing water. In this case, the family lived in natural surroundings - they could have easily found a stream, a waterfall, or even a pretty spot for the ashes. But Hollywood wanted their 'Toilet' in it. Also Buddhists don't kill. She didn't mind killing animals for food? The movie is guilty of spreading wrong information about a religion. Why couldn't they consult with someone? I suspect there are other things that are wrong in the movie but this is the one I found glaring.

I'm guessing they went for a summer release in the hopes of making more money with more people going to the theatre in July than in the fall. And maybe they weren't thinking of this as an Oscar-type movie, so didn't release the movie closer to Oscar time. I'm guessing everyone was surprised for Viggo to get as much attention for his performance as he did.

As for the title... :wuzrobbed I'm missing imdb.com!!! (Well, their message boards!) I'm sure people would be talking about why "Captain Fantastic" as the title? Maybe it's a nickname the kids had for their father?

As for the family being Buddhist, I think they accepted many differing things as influences that were important to them and how they lived their lives. They were a family who questioned the status quo, so I would think that they would not follow any one thing 100%. That would be too much of a "blind faith" kind of thing for them. So as far as Buddhism goes, I think they took what worked for them and left the rest behind. And Buddhism is maybe practised mainly in parts of the world where there is enough food to live off without having to kill animals, but in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. that might not be a realistic way of living.

As for her ashes, I thought they released them on a cliff at the end of the movie which faced out over the ocean. The earlier references in the film were made at the funeral where her parents stated that her body would be buried and Viggo's character facetiously said that she'd rather be flushed down a toilet rather than buried in a cemetery. Here's a link to the script, use "flush" as your search word and you'll see Viggo's speech where he talks about his wife's sense of humour.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm guessing they went for a summer release in the hopes of making more money with more people going to the theatre in July than in the fall. And maybe they weren't thinking of this as an Oscar-type movie, so didn't release the movie closer to Oscar time. I'm guessing everyone was surprised for Viggo to get as much attention for his performance as he did.

As for the title... :wuzrobbed I'm missing imdb.com!!! (Well, their message boards!) I'm sure people would be talking about why "Captain Fantastic" as the title? Maybe it's a nickname the kids had for their father?

As for the family being Buddhist, I think they accepted many differing things as influences that were important to them and how they lived their lives. They were a family who questioned the status quo, so I would think that they would not follow any one thing 100%. That would be too much of a "blind faith" kind of thing for them. So as far as Buddhism goes, I think they took what worked for them and left the rest behind. And Buddhism is maybe practised mainly in parts of the world where there is enough food to live off without having to kill animals, but in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S. that might not be a realistic way of living.

As for her ashes, I thought they released them on a cliff at the end of the movie which faced out over the ocean. The earlier references in the film were made at the funeral where her parents stated that her body would be buried and Viggo's character facetiously said that she'd rather be flushed down a toilet rather than buried in a cemetery. Here's a link to the script, use "flush" as your search word and you'll see Viggo's speech where he talks about his wife's sense of humour.

Peter, I Saw the movie just two days ago. They literally found a toilet at the airport and poured the ashes down it. Then they flushed the toilet, and laughed as they were being flushed. Disgusting. They absolutely did not release them off a cliff. They did cremate the body in open air, could be near a cliff, but the ashes went into the toilet. Nothing facetious about it.

Buddhism is practiced in all parts of the world, except perhaps the Islamic countries. Buddhism is more a way of life than a typical religion, although I am sure there are people with blind faith in it too. There are many people in the Pacific Northwest that understand and even practice Buddhism, though they may not call themselves Buddhists. I do believe some do, but the label is not important.

A family living in the wilderness would depend on meat, I assume, but I don't see why they wouldn't be able to grow vegetables and fruit in an area that is so green.

The Family was not Buddhist. They were devout Christians and recited the words of Jesus frequently. Only the mother was a Buddhist. so they strongly opposed a funeral, as per her wishes, which was understandable, but flushing the ashes down the toilet?

I don't remember if somewhere in the movie someone called him Captain Fantastic. If it was there, I missed it. He wore a ridiculous red suit to his wife's funeral, and at one time even stood naked - intentionally- to shock the couple that passed by. It's one thing to choose a different lifestyle and quite another to not respect the sensitivities of others. I have no sympathy for this character, but incredibly Viggo made me feel compassion for the character while watching the movie. He was kind and disgusting, loving and cruel, knowledgeable, yet ignorant, all wrapped in one character. I would recommend that movie only for his amazing acting. Had the movie been released at the right time, in the right way, he could be challenging for an Oscar.

Last edited:

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The Family was not Buddhist. They were devout Christians and recited the words of Jesus frequently. Only the mother was a Buddhist. so they strongly opposed a funeral, as per her wishes, which was understandable, but flushing the ashes down the toilet?
That was also the mother's wish.

watchthis!!

I watched The Back-Up Plan on the weekend, it's a romantic comedy with Jennifer Lopez and Alex O'Loughlin (who is now on the Hawaii 5-0 tv show). The movie is about Lopez deciding to get pregnant through artificial insemination and when she discovers she is pregnant, then she meets the man of her dreams. I thought it was sweet more than funny and it avoids most movie cliché's (but not all of them). The leads are great and are certainly are pretty to look at. The supporting cast are wonderful and probably should have all been given bigger roles. These supporting players include Melissa McCarthy, Linda Lavin (the tv show Alice), Tom Bosley (Happy Days), Eric Christian Olsen (NCIS Los Angeles), Robert Klein and a few other faces you will recognize. Hindsight is 20/20 in regards to how small McCarthy's role is considering the fame she has achieved since this movie came out. But from the DVD extras, you can see her get even bigger laughs from the cast in the outtakes than she gets from the movie itself. One outtake in particular makes everyone lose it so much that I can't help but laugh thinking about it. :lol:

Trailer for The Back-Up Plan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cut4IW0oz1w

skatingfan5

Past Prancer's Corridor
I've read that book. :) My niece is about to turn six, though. I'm giving her some Wild Kratts books and Magic School Bus books for her birthday. She's also getting a toy for building circuits to go with the Magic School Bus book on electricity. She's been fascinated by electricity for a few years.
My book group just read "Remarkable Creatures" and in looking for additional info about Mary Anning I found a couple of children's books about her -- both were picture books with great illustrations but one seemed to be closer to the facts (at least as I understood them). If your niece is fascinated by electricity she should "get a charge" about Mary Anning's being struck by lightning as a baby :D -- or maybe not. :yikes:

Allskate

My book group just read "Remarkable Creatures" and in looking for additional info about Mary Anning I found a couple of children's books about her -- both were picture books with great illustrations but one seemed to be closer to the facts (at least as I understood them).

Do you remember the names of the picture books?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information