The Fifth ISU Grand Prix and the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final of the 2023/24 Allotted to Espoo and Beijing

Status
Not open for further replies.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I didn’t see anyone bitching about Taylor Swift having multiple shows in TX this year. If it’s ok for musicians and other performers to have shows there then why is USFS evil for having an event there? Not everything can be about politics.

I feel bad for the Dallas FSC that their efforts are being sh*t all over. I see Ashley Wagner has now expressed her disgust on Twitter, further riling people up.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I didn’t see anyone bitching about Taylor Swift having multiple shows in TX this year. If it’s ok for musicians and other performers to have shows there then why is USFS evil for having an event there? Not everything can be about politics.

I feel bad for the Dallas FSC that their efforts are being sh*t all over. I see Ashley Wagner has now expressed her disgust on Twitter, further riling people up.
Little children in ivory towers who have no real understanding of how the world works and would prefer to complain and gripe. SMDH.

Amy L

My sister-in-law and her family recently moved to Dallas and my husband and I just visited them. We were at the Renaissance Faire in Waxahachie when the shooting happened. I am super duper tempted to go to Skate America, but I would be traveling by myself. (I'm just trying to imagine my husband's face if I told him I expected him to go to a skating competition and it would be something like :eek: :rolleyes::scream:--but all at once) I could probably talk my sil into letting me stay at her house, but she would be grumpy about it. Time to get to work on it!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
My sister lives in Addison (20-30 mins away), so she is over the moon about the location. She used to volunteer at local test events, and she emailed the Dallas FSC a few times last year suggesting Allen would be a great place for SA. We went to the Pairs Final a few years ago and the arena was very comfortable. No one should have any complaints about food options within walking distance as every chain known to man is in the immediate area. There’s also a Whole Foods right by the arena.

My mom hasn’t been to SA since 2016 and she’s really looking forward to it. We’ll be at the Courtyard next to the arena. It will be so nice to just walk over to events and not worry about parking!

Debbie S

I'm all for speaking out against laws and policies you don't agree with, but boycotts of cities/states (in terms of holding events) don't necessarily hit those (legislators) who actually voted for those laws. The ones hurt the most are those who work in the hospitality and events industries...front-line/hourly workers in hotels, arenas, restaurants, event vendors, etc.

That being said, the NBA (or was it the NHL?) pulling their All-Star Game out of NC to protest HB2 a few years ago may have had some impact. But SA/USFS is hardly on that scale.

On My Own

And then, we can place the worst judge on a one way trip to Pluto! This is why we should go to NASA!

ice coverage

.. I feel bad for the Dallas FSC that their efforts are being sh*t all over. ...

I too feel bad for Dallas FSC. (y)

Not related to Skate America, but for those interested, an excerpt from Dallas FSC Facebook post on May 8:

We are devastated by the tragic events that took place in our beautiful community of Allen this past weekend. With our home rink nearby, we frequent these areas often and a large portion of our membership calls this home. There are many people in this area, including our club members, who are hurting, whose lives have been shattered, and who need our prayers and support in this time of tragedy. We are grateful for the swift actions of our first responders who saved many more from this senseless violence and offer our love to all those involved.

Please don’t forget that in times of crisis, there are many silent victims who suffer alongside their parents, partners and friends who are grieving. Children who have experienced traumatic events or are exposed to the needless social media postings of this and other tragedies need to feel safe and understood. Please hug your families, communicate your feelings with each other, and seek help and assistance if needed. ...

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Meanwhile, even Espoo has its own issues. Guess it's time to reassess events in Finland?

Temporary walkway/bridge collapses, injuring 25+, mostly kids.

Obviously not, and as much as I'm not a fan of states like Texas, it would be silly to pull an event from specific states when the gun problem in America is nation wide. If anything, the ISU would have to pull events from the US entirely if safety of athletes and attendees was important to them. But that's definitely not their prerogative.

jamesy

delightful
Yes the wank about it being in Texas has grown exponentially today. I'm not going to go into my reasons of why I find it reductive and a little bit insulting, so instead I'm just gonna be hype for this. I will 100% be there ready to cheer as loudly as possible.
Your presence will still be required in the PBP threads so hopefully the arena WiFi works and you are good at multitasking haha

Dobre

Seeing as how the average Skate America location gets trounced on FSU based on its availability of water bottles, size of permissible bags, distance from the airport, lack of shuttles from hotels, weather, time zone, etc., I hardly think one should be shocked if people opt to complain about it being held in a state where weapons can be carried without safety restrictions.

Having said this, I support holding Skate America in a variety of locations around the country. Texas is certainly in keeping with that. Altitude should not be an issue. And since we have skating events being held in Vancouver, Ohio, and Montreal this year, plus events held in California, Colorado, and New England last year. Plus Worlds next year in Boston. I am happy for Texas skating fans that they will have a local event (even if Texas is so big that could still mean a major drive for some folks).

Last edited:

On My Own

Seeing as how the average Skate America location gets trounced on FSU based on its availability of water bottles, size of permissible bags, distance from the airport, lack of shuttles from hotels, weather, time zone, etc., I hardly think one should be shocked if people opt to complain about it being held in a state where weapons can be carried without safety restrictions.

Having said this, I support holding Skate America in a variety of locations around the country. Texas is certainly in keeping with that. Altitude should not be an issue. And since we have skating events being held in Vancouver, Ohio, and Montreal this year, plus events held in California and New England last year. Plus Worlds next year in Boston. I am happy for Texas skating fans that they will have a local event (even if Texas is so big that could still mean a major drive for some folks).
I think maybe some backlash might be for this tweet? The QRTs.

(Sorry if it was brought up already)

Last edited:

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual

Having said this, I support holding Skate America in a variety of locations around the country. Texas is certainly in keeping with that. Altitude should not be an issue. And since we have skating events being held in Vancouver, Ohio, and Montreal this year, plus events held in California, Colorado, and New England last year. Plus Worlds next year in Boston. I am happy for Texas skating fans that they will have a local event (even if Texas is so big that could still mean a major drive for some folks).
I'm never going to blame someone who makes a personal choice to not support an event in Texas, I just don't think it's useful for some people to imply we never deserve an event because of things many of us constantly fight against like it can be exhausting to be here let me have this haha (this is not directed at you by the way just other things I've seen).

Carolla5501

Well—if they were thinking Texas, they might be reconsidering that. What would the policies be, regarding bringing firearms into the venue? Let’s hope some intelligent person at USFS might realize that this concern could impact spectators’ willingness to attend.
Well, if you want to get away from the bring my gun everywhere culture, you are going to have to move this event to another country. There is no state in the country that is safe from the gun violence.
Y'all really think a figure skating competition is gonna be a target for a mass shooter? 🤣🤣🤣

I mean, sure, it's possible, but the same can be said of any sporting event or other activity that causes people to congregate in the same location.
Yes, it’s just as likely to be a target as your local school, a doctors office, your workplace, pretending that it’s not because you want to do think that you’re safe, proves that you’ve lost the ability to assess the risk we are currently experiencing

Karen-W

Yes, it’s just as likely to be a target as your local school, a doctors office, your workplace, pretending that it’s not because you want to do think that you’re safe, proves that you’ve lost the ability to assess the risk we are currently experiencing
No, it does not. This is the same sort of argument that people used to defend the Covid shut downs. It fails to acknowledge or accept that people are capable of independent analysis and should be allowed to determine what level of risk they are willing to accept.

The plain and simple fact is that it is no more dangerous, maybe even LESS dangerous, to hold an event in Allen, TX after last weekend's tragedy than anywhere else, precisely because chances are people in that area will be more vigilant and observant of the warning signs that most of these people present before they go on a mass shooting rampage.

Carolla5501

No, it does not. This is the same sort of argument that people used to defend the Covid shut downs. It fails to acknowledge or accept that people are capable of independent analysis and should be allowed to determine what level of risk they are willing to accept.

The plain and simple fact is that it is no more dangerous, maybe even LESS dangerous, to hold an event in Allen, TX after last weekend's tragedy than anywhere else, precisely because chances are people in that area will be more vigilant and observant of the warning signs that most of these people present before they go on a mass shooting rampage.

The plain and simple truth is that the poster I was responding to believes that "Figure skating is safe" just because "no one would care" And that's not true.

Your right it's no more dangerous but it's not safe because "it's figure skating", there's no magic "oh the upset person won't think this is a good target" protection. Welcome to American in 2023!

On My Own

Well, if you want to get away from the bring my gun everywhere culture, you are going to have to move this event to another country. There is no state in the country that is safe from the gun violence.

Has there ever been a mass shooter at a figure skating competition in the US before?

Why exactly has this become an issue all of a sudden, when this has always been a thing in the US?

nylynnr

There are often complaints on FSU about security lines and having to carry bags of limited size, and/or clear bags, into arenas. Part of that is to prevent fans from carrying guns. So, this time around for SKAM, maybe the complaints won't be as vociferous, assuming the Allen arena follows similar security protocols.

Karen-W

Has there ever been a mass shooter at a figure skating competition in the US before?

Why exactly has this become an issue all of a sudden, when this has always been a thing in the US?
It's an issue because some Twitter-ites are conflating the mass shooting in Allen with the fact that Texas is a red state and therefore, in their opinion, unwelcoming of the LGBTQ+ community (please, no one correct me on whatever letters I left out of that acronym - it feels like it changes every 6 months). They aren't really related, IMO, plus it's far too early to know what was the Allen shooter's motivation or potential underlying mental health issues.

Karen-W

There are often complaints on FSU about security lines and having to carry bags of limited size, and/or clear bags, into arenas. Part of that is to prevent fans from carrying guns. So, this time around for SKAM, maybe the complaints won't be as vociferous, assuming the Allen arena follows similar security protocols.
Those sort of rules are arena/locale-specific and have nothing to do with the USFS. I doubt that the arena in Allen will be changing their current security protocols as those are going to be based on state laws.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
It's an issue because some Twitter-ites are conflating the mass shooting in Allen with the fact that Texas is a red state and therefore, in their opinion, unwelcoming of the LGBTQ+ community (please, no one correct me on whatever letters I left out of that acronym - it feels like it changes every 6 months). They aren't really related, IMO, plus it's far too early to know what was the Allen shooter's motivation or potential underlying mental health issues.
LGBTQIATS+ ...that may not be right...

I'm flummoxed. My thought was that Allen TX just experienced a tragedy and if in time the USFS says its going to have an event there (made sense to delay the announcement I think) that to me is an affirmation of support for a community going through a difficult time.

Karen-W

LGBTQIATS+ ...that may not be right...

I'm flummoxed. My thought was that Allen TX just experienced a tragedy and if in time the USFS says its going to have an event there (made sense to delay the announcement I think) that to me is an affirmation of support for a community going through a difficult time.
Agreed. Plus, I really just want to slap some of the critics over the head and ask how many of them are involved with their local FSC and actively working to put together a bid to host SkAm. I'm pretty sure there would be crickets chirping in response.

BlueRidge

AYS's snark-sponge
Agreed. Plus, I really just want to slap some of the critics over the head and ask how many of them are involved with their local FSC and actively working to put together a bid to host SkAm. I'm pretty sure there would be crickets chirping in response.
Yes we already know how hard it is to get events hosted. Let's cheer on those places that will host them.

I mean, fine with me to have every event in Norwood but I don't think that would really be good for skating. I like the idea of a middle of the country location like this. I could fly there direct in 3 1/2 hours. That's a lot better than 5-6 hours.

I'm curious and also confused as I'm not on other social media. Is the objection to Texas because they have passed anti-Trans legislation? Or is because they have permissive gun laws? I don't think these two issues overlap.

On My Own

LGBTQIATS+
I never understood what "Queer" or "Questioning" is supposed to mean. Which I'm sure means I have about 50 different phobias.

Or why it was supposed to include Two Spirits, if it's supposed to be a global term?

Anyway, I prefer nyancat.

Karen-W

Yes we already know how hard it is to get events hosted. Let's cheer on those places that will host them.

I mean, fine with me to have every event in Norwood but I don't think that would really be good for skating. I like the idea of a middle of the country location like this. I could fly there direct in 3 1/2 hours. That's a lot better than 5-6 hours.

I'm curious and also confused as I'm not on other social media. Is the objection to Texas because they have passed anti-Trans legislation? Or is because they have permissive gun laws? I don't think these two issues overlap.
Ashley's tweets, and the others that have jumped on her bandwagon, have been about the anti-Trans legislation, IIRC. Personally, I find it really disingenuous of her to make the inflammatory tweets she's made when I'd expect that a skater of her experience would recognize the challenges involved in finding hosts for these events. But, then again, maybe she's the typical elite skater who lives in a narrow little bubble and doesn't pay attention to the "how" of any of those events she was privileged enough to compete at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information