U.S. Men 2022-23 news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Oh! I didn't realize Mindra had the 4CCs TES mins! Glad to see he got the 3rd alt spot for that, but really, USFS... Tomoki as 1st alt? Oy. These alternate assignments are a study in USFS favoritism at its worst.

This one I agree with you on. Aside from Jason Brown almost all the US men can be patron saints for team trainwreck

toMoki and oh my gosh especially Camden, people can disagree with me all they want to but they have given so many chances and their trainwreckiness is always showcased. I say go with new faces all around where possible

invest now at the beginning of a quad

Allskate

Jackie Wong has some of the comments from the press conference in this thread:

It's interesting that Ilia says that they spent more time on the short program in the lead up to Nationals. I can understand why they did that given the problems he's had with the short. But, I do think that the emphasis on the short showed not just in the jumping, but in the presentation side. He's smart to realize that the short program is now better developed than it was and that he needs to put more into both the short and long in preparation for Worlds.

The comments that Jason made to Ilia are really sweet. Class act as always.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I hope USFS intends to try and keep Jason involved somehow even when the dreadful day comes. His life lessons, his wisdom, and his shining spirit could be such an asset to them when it comes to young skaters' psychological development and people skills. He has such an amazing perspective on everything.

Although judging by how beautifully he skated this weekend, and how radiantly happy he looked doing it, I hope the dreadful day is quite a way off yet!

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
This one I agree with you on. Aside from Jason Brown almost all the US men can be patron saints for team trainwreck

toMoki and oh my gosh especially Camden, people can disagree with me all they want to but they have given so many chances and their trainwreckiness is always showcased. I say go with new faces all around where possible

I would argue that Camden has had just as much success (if not more) as, say, Amber Glenn :saint:

Allskate

I hope USFS intends to try and keep Jason involved somehow even when the dreadful day comes.
I suspect that is what they intend. Didn't they already do that with the most recent Skate America? I thought Jason mentioned that in one of his recent interviews. Jason clearly has a passion for the sport that goes beyond competing and is valued by so many. I think he'll be involved in skating in some capacity for many years to come. From what he said when he talked to Chock and Bates on their podcast, it seems like he is going to take competing one step at a time, depending on how he feels (physically and emotionally). But, as a next step, he said today that he wants to be at Worlds.

Dobre

Well, it's nice to know we have so many men who can land a quad or two. After bombing the short program. I guess;).

The USFS just assigned Zingas/Kolesnik with ONE Challenger result and 4th at Nats to be alternates to both Worlds & 4CCs over vastly more experienced teams.
And USFS will probably be lucky and never have to find out how that would go. (At least at Worlds. There's absolutely nothing on the line for the federation at 4CCs).

SkateFanBerlin

The USFSA really needs to send him to a competition in February to get the minimums. I think they are smart enough to do that
I was gob smacked by his skate last night. But even Ted Barton said a couple years ago that he was frustrating to watch. Great one day and melt down the next. It would be a good step if he DID get his minimums under pressure.

SkateFanBerlin

But who goes to 4CC then?

I for one really wouldn't be completely surprised if Camden does get named to 4CC. But who knows, maybe he will decide he's focusing on school the rest of the year and make ......
I had this thought too. He's working on a technique change and. A second quad. No 4cc and he'd have a long stretch with Raf and finishing up the semester.

SkateFanBerlin

Sorry to say I agree. Hope to see lots of new faces on the circuit next fall. But who will USFS give two assignments to? All are new or as you say TWrecks.

Evgeniafan

Thinking about it a bit, I'd almost be tempted, if I was the USFS, to put Torgashev on the plane to Bavarian Open this week and let him try for the TES mins while he's clearly skating "hot". Waiting until Challenge Cup is going to put a tremendous amount of pressure on him, whereas if he goes this next week and gets them then he can go back home and spend the next 6 weeks prepping for Worlds.
I would to. Plus the competition is not that stiff. The Challenge cup is usually packed.

Dobre

The point is to have someone who can skate a solid two performances at Worlds. You don't have to win a competition, no matter how packed, to earn a minimum. However, the guys do need to be able to at least land a solid triple axel under pressure in an SP.

Andrea82

Thinking about it a bit, I'd almost be tempted, if I was the USFS, to put Torgashev on the plane to Bavarian Open this week and let him try for the TES mins while he's clearly skating "hot". Waiting until Challenge Cup is going to put a tremendous amount of pressure on him, whereas if he goes this next week and gets them then he can go back home and spend the next 6 weeks prepping for Worlds.
There are other options between Bavarian Open and the very last week for Worlds TES.
Ephesos Cup or Dragon Trophy looks like places which can profitable.

Dobre

Jackie listed all the criteria and showed how they applied. That was it. Camden is not a model of consistency, but it's not like those other guys are either. He might not have had great showings at his GP events, but he finished higher than Ma at Skate Canada and scored better in his events than the others (besides Ilia), plus the Worlds 5th place finish.
I think you could argue that almost anything met the criteria this year. I mean, how does one argue that Torgashev is above Camden and Naumov is not? (Either both or neither, I could see being logical; but mostly it feels arbitrary). Mom & I were discussing it quite a bit, and we basically agreed on two things. 1. The men made this call hard for the selection committee and 2. It doesn't matter. The whole lot of them--all the guys with an argument for the third berth--are also capable of being a mess.

*To be fair to the U.S. men, this is a very international dilemma.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Per Elyce Lin-Gracey, the Jr Worlds Singles Selection Camp is next week in Las Vegas.

mtnskater

Who are Samuel Mindra’s coaches? They’ve done a great job with him so far! But I think USFS needs to facilitate helping him get the resources he needs to work with a coach who can teach him the triple axel. I seem to recall he trains on an open air rink in Portland? He’s too good not to get the triple axel. Loved his skating so much at Nationals.

Karen-W

Who are Samuel Mindra’s coaches? They’ve done a great job with him so far! But I think USFS needs to facilitate helping him get the resources he needs to work with a coach who can teach him the triple axel. I seem to recall he trains on an open air rink in Portland? He’s too good not to get the triple axel. Loved his skating so much at Nationals.
He was training during the pandemic all over the place because the lockdown restrictions, especially in the PDX Metro, were pretty draconian. He was down in Klamath Falls as well as over in Bend (that's the open air rink) and around the country - I think he went out to Colorado at one point. But, he's back up here training. Here's a recent article from the Portland Tribune about him -

His main coach, Mari Malama, has been producing some moderately successful skaters in the last several years, and it seems that Mindra is also working with Raf part-time.

FYI - Happy Valley to Sherwood is a bit of a trek, though Happy Valley to any of the local rinks is going to be a trek. Depending on where in HV he lives and the time of day he's making that commute to the rink, it could be anywhere from 40 minutes to an hour (or longer).

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

Yes, and I’m so excited to see him develop

what’s so exciting about his skating is how happy he looks to be on the ice. He’s one of the ones that outwardly seem to enjoy figure skating, lol

euterpe

Just noticed that Maxim Naumov skated at the Budapest Challenger--he earned the TES Minimum for the SP, but missed the TES FS minimum by 1.46 points----however, he lost 3 points for "interruption in excess", which means something went wrong during his FS and he had to stop skating to fix it. So it seems he shouldn't have any trouble getting the FS minimum at the Challenge CUp.

Karen-W

Just noticed that Maxim Naumov skated at the Budapest Challenger--he earned the TES Minimum for the SP, but missed the TES FS minimum by 1.46 points----however, he lost 3 points for "interruption in excess", which means something went wrong during his FS and he had to stop skating to fix it. So it seems he shouldn't have any trouble getting the FS minimum at the Challenge CUp.
He already has the Worlds TES min from 2021 Cranberry Cup. He will need it again for next season but he's fine for both 4CCs and Worlds (alternate) this year.

sheetz

You're probably confusing Naumov with Torgashev, who is being sent to Challenge Cup for his minimums.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Torgashev has no minimums -- he's not on the list -- so he wouldn't be confused with a skater who is missing one, but has the other.

Sylvia

TBD
Did anyone see Torgashev's performances during Nationals qualifying? If so, what were they like?
Quoting posts from the U.S. Sectionals competition thread (November 2022) in the Kiss & Cry section:
Torgashev - step out on his opening triple, same for the 3a. Both had some serious lean in the air, so it's a bit of a minor wonder he managed to remain upright on the landings at all. Triple-double for the combo. Again, like Naumov, he's lucky there are only 4 guys here at Easterns, so this should be enough to get through to Nationals. Love the positions on his closing combo spin!
Torgashev (Carmina Burana+Muse, choreo. by Misha Ge): 4T fell out, 3A off balance landing/step, 3T, 2A, 3Lz+1Eu+3S solid, 3F+3T landed on toe so small step backwards, 3F+2A - his best showing of the season - 143.05 FS, 210.31.

His father Artem (based in Florida) is with him here [in Norwood, MA].
Posted on Nov. 14 in this thread:
Andrew Torgashev's comeback this season has been more gradual, with Easterns being the first time he attempted both a 3A and 4T in his FS (fell or stepped out of 4Tq and 3A< in both programs).
And on Dec. 14:
Andrew Torgashev practicing quads (posted by the Team Raf Instagram): https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cl4N9deIht-/
Based on his August-September competitions (I watched him online at SoCal Open NQS, Golden West and Pasadena Open NQS) and then Easterns, I was really hoping Andrew would continue to show progress but did not expect him to win the BRONZE at Nationals! :D His quality of skating and performances at Nationals were wonderful to behold in person after 2 years away (he had a memorably clean 3rd place SP at 2020 Nationals in Greensboro, landing 4T, 3A & 3F+3T, scoring 97.87, and finished 5th in the FS with 162.77 and overall, 260.64). His scores at this year's Nationals: 78.78 in SP, 177.78 in FS, 256.56 total. Now he has 3 weeks to get ready for to Challenge Cup!

@cheremary (thank you!) took some good photos at Nationals - Men's SP: https://www.instagram.com/p/Cn82Z00uZ8E/
Men's FS: https://www.instagram.com/p/CoEkJ2DuXW7/

BTW, I posted this about Samuel Mindra's fabulous SP in the U.S. Sectionals thread on Nov. 12, 2022 :D:
Samuel Mindra’s percussion (various beats with no music) program & performance were just AWESOME!!! I rewatched it until Peacock shut down the stream!!

Sylvia

TBD
Junior Worlds team (singles) announced just now: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...rld-junior-championships-team-selections.aspx

Lucas Broussard (J1)
Daniel Martynov (S11)
Robert Yampolsky (J3)

Alternate 1 - Michael Xie (J5)
Alternate 2 - Jacob Sanchez (J2)
Alternate 3 - Joseph Klein (S13)

Singles selection camp ended today in Las Vegas so the skaters' performances there likely were factored in.

ETA that Will Annis (S15) & Kai Kovar (invited to camp) are also in Xie's photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CoOOTY8P1bp/

Last edited:

dinakt

Any idea why Sanchez, who made such a
splash at Nationals, is off the team? He really must have been “off” at the camp if he was there.

Last edited:

mtnskater

Broussard could medal or even win. Martynov (age 16) had two solid triple axels in the free skate at senior nationals. Yampolsky made the JGPF. Sanchez had a breakout free at junior men nationals but I’m not sure how consistent he is (yet). I’m happy with these selections.

jlai

Question everything
Any idea why Sanchez, who made such a
splash at Nationals, is off the team? He really must have been “off” at the camp if he was there.
If memory serves from last few junior worlds, it is hard for someone without a 3A to crack top ten after the short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information