U.S. Men 2022-23 news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Lucas Broussard, 16, after he won the SILVER medal at the JGP Final earlier today :) - from the junior men's press conference afterwards:
(on the emotions on the silver medal) I’m very happy, it’s really crazy just cause I didn’t really expect to be here when I started the season with the back injury and I had to take a few months off the ice and I almost didn’t get any [JGP] assignments, and to get a silver medal was not something I planned on and here we are. I’m exceedingly proud of myself, how I handled myself and mostly I’m just happy that I had a lot of fun.
(who are the idols) My favorite skater here is Shoma Uno. I think, the power he gets is really impressive and he is an amazing skater too. It’s really inspiring to be able to just be here with him, walk by him, to look at him, it’s very surprising, it’s nice to know he is here and I’m here with him and it’s really cool.
(on what he takes from this event) The lesson I will take with me - no matter how awful I feel going into the competition unprepared or I felt like a wreck going into this one but even then I can still be successful despite a bad week of training or something aching or a really bad trip here - I can still do my best.

Lucas had 2 ISU PB scores in Torino: 220.43 total & 81.11 in his 1st place Tango SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwjLk1AkPH4
His cleanest FS performance this JGP season was in Gdansk (SB 140.27 at Solidarity Cup where both 3Lz combos were landed cleanly and well, unlike the two today): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wecGC_49_Jo

Robert Yampolsky, 18, finished 5th with 198.02 (4th in SP & FS) - his quick quotes following his FS:
(on a shaky performance today) I think definitely illness and sickness threw me off, my training regimen was completely different coming to this competition because of it, so that was definitely part of what happened out there with the first two Axels. Usually I'm used to getting so much so many long program run-throughs in, but not having been able to practice them for a solid week before coming here threw me off, but at the end of the day it's my responsibility to try to get it together when I need to. Unfortunately, I couldn't do it today but I think in upcoming competitions I'll be a little more prepared and better suited to skate better, like cleaner programs.
(on his next goal) My next goal would be to land a quad in competition. I mean I've been landing triple Axels for about a season now, so the next step would be to probably do a quad, my Lutz is the closest. I’ve landed it here and there, but it's usually underrotated or I fall on it. It's close but I’m trying to get it more consistent.
(on the experience from the Junior Grand Prix Final) Well there's so much to take in. That was the biggest competition in my life and it's a whole new experience to compete with so many people watching in the foreign country, so probably try to calm myself, and I learned how to prepare my nerves a little bit better coming into such a big competition.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Nice to see that Nathan Chapple (along with Ting Cui) was a main focus of World University Games press release on Dec 8 re Team USA figure skating contingent.

Two U.S. figure skaters are hoping that the Lake Placid 2023 FISU World University Games will be the launching pad to regaining their form after years lost to injury. Ting Cui, from Pikesville, Md. who attends Middlebury College, and Nathan Chapple of Solon, Ohio, who attends Cuyahoga Community College, are healthy and have high hopes for the FISU Games, held every two years. ...

Chapple has been competing for more than a decade and hopes the World University Games can propel him to long-held goals of competing on the senior international circuit for Team USA in the Grand Prix series, skating’s top annual tour.

Injuries like patellar tendinitis in his left knee, a high ankle sprain, Achilles problems and stomach surgery kept him off the ice for most of the past four years. Chapple has been healthy this year, regaining his form enough to post second- and sixth-place finishes in sub-national competitions. Getting named to the FISU U.S. World University Games team was big. Chapple said he had gained a sense of accomplishment from “finally earning a spot in something amazing like an opportunity like this.”

Chapple’s home base was Winterhurst Figure Skating Club near Cleveland, Ohio before he moved to work with coaches Amber Gil and Rohene Ward at the Glenview Community Ice Center outside Chicago, Ill. Chapple got into skating at age six after watching the Olympics on TV and seeing short-track speed skater Apolo Ohno. The nearest speed skating program was too far away, so Chapple decided to pursue figure skating.

Chapple, a Black skater, is an ambassador for the Diversify Ice Foundation, whose mission is to support and mentor underrepresented groups in competitive figure skating.

“It’s very important because there’s not really that much diversity in the sport,” said Chapple, 23. “Seeing an organization that’s trying to promote it is nice to see in the sport – to see that there’s something improving, that there are people that are putting in an effort to advance the sport.”

Chapple says he takes his inspiration for hard work from his mother, Angela, who adopted him as a single mom while she worked – and continues to work – three jobs as a college professor and teaching consultant after decades teaching in inner-city schools.

Chapple has found he likes teaching, too. For the past seven or eight years, he has taught in Learn to Skate programs, and he coaches at the rinks where he trains. “I just like giving back to the sport,” Chapple said. “I like having people feel accomplished with something they’ve done, whether it’s planning a jump or getting a spin better.”

I hope that Nathan has a great experience at World University Games. 🥳

(Although Nathan had the fifth highest NQS score in the nation for senior men, he ended up not qualifying for Nats.
I enjoyed his skating at Mid Atlantics, and had hoped to see him in San Jose too.)

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I hope that Nathan has a great experience at World University Games. 🥳

(Although Nathan had the fifth highest NQS score in the nation for senior men, he did not qualify for Nats.
I enjoyed his skating at Mid Atlantics, and had hoped to see him in San Jose too.)
I didn't realize how significant his injury history was over the past several seasons. Hopefully he can continue to improve, though, not gonna lie, I'd love to see him pursue pairs.

Stephanie

Cross-posting from the Ilia thread in the Trash Can:

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere, but I just noticed that Ilia will be part of the Art on Ice shows in February: https://www.artonice.com/en/program/ilia-malinin/

I guess this means no Four Continents for him (same as Jason Brown) but at least another US man will get a shot at an ISU championship.

Interesting - this must have happened in Torino (the show's producer was there) since his appearance hasn't been added to Art on Ice's Instagram account yet (Alexa & Brandon are in their latest IG story): https://www.instagram.com/artonicemagic/

Karen-W

Cross-posting from the Ilia thread in the Trash Can:

Apologies if this has already been posted elsewhere, but I just noticed that Ilia will be part of the Art on Ice shows in February: https://www.artonice.com/en/program/ilia-malinin/

I guess this means no Four Continents for him (same as Jason Brown) but at least another US man will get a shot at an ISU championship.
Him getting more show opportunities is a good thing, IMO. He needs to develop his PCS.

Beyond that, the rest of our men who won't be on the Worlds team need the WS points they could earn at 4CCs.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from Jason's thread... Jordan Cowan filmed Jason's performance of his SP ("Melancholy" by Alexey Kosenko that he debuted at the Peggy Fleming Trophy virtual competition in the summer of 2020) in the live rehearsal of the 2022 Providence, Rhode Island Tree Lighting Show on December 2, 2022: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf2EX0TGugk

I just created a GSD thread for the Art on Ice shows, Feb. 2-12, 2023 (4CC is Feb. 7-12):

sheetz

Him getting more show opportunities is a good thing, IMO. He needs to develop his PCS.

Beyond that, the rest of our men who won't be on the Worlds team need the WS points they could earn at 4CCs.
Show opportunities are good for Ilia, but not at the expense of competition. He needs more competitive experience against skaters like Shoma and Yuma which he would get at an event like 4CC. There will undoubtedly be plenty of show opportunities in the offseason for Ilia so I don't understand this decision.

Karen-W

Especially two weeks after Nationals, which is, like it or not, far more important than 4CCs.

sheetz

So are you willing to pay the bills for him? Shows are income and this is not a cheap sport. it's easy for fans with no investment to "announce" what skaters should do but unless you have alternative suggestions for income....

He's the current USFS darling and will have plenty of show opportunities in the future. In fact he's already had lots of opportunities. I see nothing to gain from skipping competitions against his main rivals ahead of the World Championships.

Edit: He's already earned a substantial amount of money this season based on his performances on the grand prix and Japan Open so I really doubt he's that hard pressed for cash.

Last edited:

Karen-W

He's the current USFS darling and will have plenty of show opportunities in the future. In fact he's already had lots of opportunities. I see nothing to gain from skipping competitions against his main rivals ahead of the World Championships.

Edit: He's already earned a substantial amount of money this season based on his performances on the grand prix and Japan Open so I really doubt he's that hard pressed for cash.
How do you know he will have "plenty" of show opportunities? Three years ago, that was certainly the thought and look what happened, especially to the North American & European skaters who weren't being allowed into Japan except under very tight conditions for 2+ years, and certainly not for touring opportunities.

Honestly, he can't win. People will complain about his lack of PCS, but when he takes an opportunity to do some shows in Europe and work on the deficiency, he is criticized for not competing against his main rivals. Let's be honest, though... competing at the GPF against a couple of solid rivals in Uno, Grassl, Miura and Yamamoto, didn't do him any good (especiallysince he is injured, so he is struggling with his rotations). He is getting hammered on his PCS and part of that deficiency helped bury him pretty far back in the SP. Yes, he was able to TES his way into a medal, but it would have been nice if his PCS hadn't been as low as it was, which helped keep him from silver.

I'm not seeing what the benefit of competing at 4CCs is, really. He has competed against Uno, Kagiyama, Miura, Sato, Yamamoto, Grassl, Aymoz, etc at least once or twice already.

sheetz

Skaters need to decide how to pace themselves and their training through a long season - it should be up to them and the respective teams around them, not us fans. It's a marathon and not a sprint (to the 2026 Olympic season).
It's exactly because this is a marathon that I believe it's an unwise decision to skip these type of competitions. It seems to me his team is in this for a quick buck when he needs to take a long term view of his development. There are relatively few chances to compete against the top skaters compared to the number of show opportunities.

VGThuy

Nobody knows what his financial situation is, so let's not go there. I get it's annoying if you think he's choosing to make money that isn't very necessary for him in lieu of competing, but I don't think we should make assumptions about anyone's finances or motivations to make money or make judgments on whether he "needs" to make money. It's a personal choice, and a legitimate one.

I think 4CC is an important competition and I get if people think him snubbing it is a turn-off. However, we don't know if he's "snubbing" it or is taking doctor's recommendations to pace himself properly for Worlds after Nationals, which will require a lot out of him. If you're suspicious of him skipping 4CC for "medical" reasons when he's doing an Art show, that's fair, but let's not make declarations of what he "should" or "shouldn't" do regarding his health. That's between him and his doctor and we don't know what the doctor has recommended or "green lit".

One thing is for sure, Ilia doing an Art show performance will be less taxing on his body than competing at 4CC where he's expected to do multiple quads, quad combinations, triples, and level 4 elements. Not to say show programs aren't strenuous and exhausting on the body, but we know he won't be doing his SP and LP and all of its planned content at a show.

skatfan

It's exactly because this is a marathon that I believe it's an unwise decision to skip these type of competitions. It seems to me his team is in this for a quick buck when he needs to take a long term view of his development.
Lol! Ilia has been at plenty of competitions this season. Skipping one to pace oneself is the very definition of working the season as a marathon.

Karen-W

It's exactly because this is a marathon that I believe it's an unwise decision to skip these type of competitions. It seems to me his team is in this for a quick buck when he needs to take a long term view of his development.
Or they realize that the Art on Ice shows are a better way for him to develop his artistry and connection with the audience, and this help raise his PCS... something he needs if those quads don't last...

Karen-W

I do think this adds fuel to the fire of the argument that 4CCs pales in comparison to Euros since most top Euro skaters would never dream of skipping Euros. ;)
Well, but sure, but shouldn't the blame for that be on the show organizer? It's not as if he went and scheduled it on top of Euros, which is why Loena Hendrickx and Alexia Paganini are booked for Art in Ice.

VGThuy

Well, but sure, but shouldn't the blame for that be on the show organizer? It's not as if he went and scheduled it on top of Euros, which is why Loena Hendrickx and Alexia Paganini are booked for Art in Ice.
In the end, it was Ilia's choice and he chose what he chose. We can make assumptions on what Leona and Alexia would have done had the Art show been scheduled on top of Euros...and my money is on them competing at Euros...but that doesn't amount to much at all since it's only a guess about what would happen in a hypothetical after all.

sheetz

Lol! Ilia has been at plenty of competitions this season. Skipping one to pace oneself is the very definition of working the season as a marathon.
In theory 4CC is supposed to be a major competition and good preparation for Worlds, though. But I guess that's no longer true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information