2023 U.S. Nationals in San Jose

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I wouldn't mind volunteering before the events start like we did last time or even for some Junior events but I don't want to volunteer during the Senior events!

ice coverage

I sent an email to the San Jose sharks ticket email and they tell me that they hope to have other ticket options available within the next week or so

thought I would pass it on

"Weekend Finals Package" option now is available on Ticketmaster site.
ETA:​

This package includes tickets to Friday (1/27) Senior Women's Free, Saturday (1/28) Senior Free Dance, Saturday (1/28) Senior Pairs Free, and Sunday (1/29) Senior Men Free.​

*P1 - Platinum: SOLD OUT​
*P2 - Red: (lower bowl) - $300 inclusive of all taxes and fees​
*P3 - White (lower bowl) - $225 inclusive of all taxes and fees​
(Not available for P4)​

Please note: Prices and event schedule subject to change.​

*Does NOT include Prevagen Skating Spectacular on Sunday, January 29 -- tickets for this event will be sold separately​

(I purposely stopped short of finalizing a purchase of Weekend Finals Package, but it was possible to select a seat, add to cart, and start the checkout process.)

I’m approved to volunteer again! Anyone else?

🙋‍♀️

Last edited:

Carolla5501

"Weekend Finals Package" option now is available on Ticketmaster site.

This package includes tickets to Friday (1/27) Senior Women's Free, Saturday (1/28) Senior Free Dance, Saturday (1/28) Senior Pairs Free, and Sunday (1/29) Senior Men Free.​

*P1 - Platinum: SOLD OUT​
*P2 - Red: (lower bowl) - $300 inclusive of all taxes and fees​
*P3 - White (lower bowl) - $225 inclusive of all taxes and fees​
(Not available for P4)​

Please note: Prices and event schedule subject to change.​

*Does NOT include Prevagen Skating Spectacular on Sunday, January 29 -- tickets for this event will be sold separately​

(I purposely stopped short of finalizing a purchase of Weekend Finals Package, but it was possible to select a seat, add to cart, and start the checkout process.)

🙋‍♀️

Thanks! I couldn't find anyplace where you could see what the weekend included. I did buy the weekend and spent some time trying to purposefully pick a seat that left some undesirable locations just because this new "single ticket buyers aren't important" plan the arenas has is disgusting. Would still like to have tickets for a couple of the short programs but if they make it too difficult that may not happen.....

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I just got the email from USFS about weekend tickets and it said individual tickets will go on sale next week along with other experience tickets:

Individual tickets will go on sale next week in addition to unique fan experience packages, including meet and greets with previous champions, Zamboni rides and more!

Carolla5501

Single-session tickets now are available for purchase on Ticketmaster site.

Ticketmaster has decided I am a bot and am therefore not allowed to buy tickets..... So I tried on my phone... now I have to reset my password and I have a feeling the fees are going to be as high as the tickets....

Since I only want one event I think I will either see if I can get it on here as resale or just buy it at the ticket office there.

TanithandBenFan

I emailed the SAP Center to ask if they would reconsider the bag policy since this event requires spectators to be at the arena all day, and someone called me and said they wouldn't decide to make any changes until a few days before the event. Very helpful for those who need to go out and buy a 5x9x2 purse. She said spectators can bring in bottled water, but whether food will be allowed will also not be decided until shortly before the event. At least she clarified the purse can be 9 inches long. I found a fanny pack on Amazon that fits the bill if worse comes to worse.

acraven

Thanks for checking. About the purses--did your contact mean purses can be 9"x9"x2", or did she just mean that the length can be the longest dimension?

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

Thanks for checking. About the purses--did your contact mean purses can be 9"x9"x2", or did she must mean that the length can be the longest dimension?
The length can be the longest. Has to be 5 inches high if it’s 9 long.

beebee

For all the good it will do, I emailed USFS asking them to intervene with SAP regarding an exception to the bag policy for Nationals. Clearly, their policy is designed with a concert or one night sporting event in mind. At the end of the day, whatever decision is made, it needs to happen before "shortly before the event."

For the relocated 2021 Nationals, the SAP policy was the more reasonable clear 12x6x12 stadium bag size. I even bought a nice Vera Bradley stadium bag just for that event ;)

Last edited:

TanithandBenFan

For all the good it will do, I emailed USFS asking them to intervene with SAP regarding an exception to the bag policy for Nationals. Clearly, their policy is designed with a concert or one night sporting event in mind. At the end of the day, whatever decision is made, it needs to happen before "shortly before the event."

For the relocated 2021 Nationals, the SAP policy was the more reasonable clear 12x6x12 stadium bag size. I even bought a nice Vera Bradley stadium bag just for that event ;)
The lady that called me claimed it’s the NHL policy for bags, but Nashville let us bring in 12x12 clear bags and they have an NHL team. And that’s their policy for ALL events at that venue. So I’m calling BS on the NHL thing. I’ve looked around at a number of NHL arenas and they all have differing policies.

I told the lady we need more than a few days to go out and buy a new bag if necessary and she gave me some song and dance about ordering from Amazon. It makes no sense to me to wait until the week of an event to change a policy. She even said “oh that event is too far off.” Next month is too far off??

acraven

As I have mentioned prior to earlier Nationals: I attend Nationals for the full week. The past is no guarantee of the future, but in every previous year it has ultimately been possible to take an opaque tote bag of decent size into the arena. If necessary, I approach the security gates with the contents of my bag in my arms and the bag itself empty. After going through the gates, I put everything back in the bag. The security folks typically become a lot more lenient as the week goes on. Maybe it's in response to the demographics of the spectators, maybe they find they don't have time to be really picky and argue with everyone, but the enforcement is never as strict as the policy implies.

Debbie S

Here is the bag I bought: https://www.target.com/p/crossbody-bag-with-pouch-wild-fable/-/A-82000313

Caveat: It curves upward at the ends so it is 6 inches at that point, but most of the width across is 5 inches. If they go through with this policy and someone at the door gives me a hard time, I swear I will go full-on Karen and demand to speak to a manager.

But I hope they come to their senses and allow us to bring the 12x12x6 clear bags (if that size works for the NFL, it should work for SAP Center).

MacMadame

Doing all the things
The length can be the longest. Has to be 5 inches high if it’s 9 long.
That's completely ridiculous for Nationals.

I told the lady we need more than a few days to go out and buy a new bag if necessary and she gave me some song and dance about ordering from Amazon.
:rolleyes: I did that for Nationals in Nashville and unless you want to pay as much as the bag costs in shipping, they might not arrive in time. I did not and so ordered two bags just to be sure -- one that arrived at the last minute and one that didn't arrive until I was in Nashville.

It doesn't have to be clear? Hmm. 🤔

I agree with @acraven though that this will work itself out. This happens every year and generally, they either change the policy to something more reasonable or get lax as the week goes on or both.

Yuri

It's ridiculous if an NHL/NBA indoor arena won't accept a clear NFL bag (my Ravens bag is 12" x 11" x 5"), but even the NFL is inconsistent. In addition to working in Baltimore, mine worked in the Meadowlands for both "New York" football teams, and in Jacksonville FL, but NOT in Tampa Bay where they insisted on the clutch-style clear bag.

I agree with those who find that the demographics of figure skating fans tends to make enforcement by security more lax as the week progresses.

skatfan

But I hope they come to their senses and allow us to bring the 12x12x6 clear bags (if that size works for the NFL, it should work for SAP Center).
it’s also the size that Oracle Park (SF Giants) has for their bags.

mtnskater

FYI if you haven’t booked your hotel yet, I just booked the Signia by Hilton through the USFS hotel planner on the U.S. nationals website for five nights at $151.99 a night (standard room). It’s a fantastic rate for a five star hotel and I’m so glad to get it.

All the other close hotels are showing $300/$400 plus a night. I had to select the Insignia from the hotel list and this rate showed up, even though it didn’t show on the hotel list prices. The rate is refundable except for one night if I cancel three days before arrival.

This is the old Fairmont Hotel that I stayed at for the previous Nationals twice. I really liked the hotel and location. It’s about a one mile walk to the SAP Center through the main downtown street in San Jose with lots of shops and restaurants. I always enjoy that walk when sitting in an arena all day.

Carolla5501

FYI if you haven’t booked your hotel yet, I just booked the Signia by Hilton through the USFS hotel planner on the U.S. nationals website for five nights at $151.99 a night (standard room). It’s a fantastic rate for a five star hotel and I’m so glad to get it.

All the other close hotels are showing $300/$400 plus a night. I had to select the Insignia from the hotel list and this rate showed up, even though it didn’t show on the hotel list prices. The rate is refundable except for one night if I cancel three days before arrival.

This is the old Fairmont Hotel that I stayed at for the previous Nationals twice. I really liked the hotel and location. It’s about a one mile walk to the SAP Center through the main downtown street in San Jose with lots of shops and restaurants. I always enjoy that walk when sitting in an arena all day.

That’s a great deal!

carriecmu0503

I think this is a USFS room block rate. They always have two official hotels for nationals- one for officials, and one for athletes/ coaches. In 2018, the Fairmont (now the Signia Hilton) was the hotel for athletes/ coaches, and the Marriott was the hotel for officials. That is the only reason this luxury hotel would be so cheap, let alone on a weekend during a national event.

Debbie S

They always have two official hotels for nationals- one for officials, and one for athletes/ coaches. In 2018, the Fairmont (now the Signia Hilton) was the hotel for athletes/ coaches, and the Marriott was the hotel for officials.
I believe in both 2012 and 2018, the Marriott was the primary official hotel and Fairmount was the overflow. I stayed at the Marriott in 2018 and there were definitely skaters and coaches there. Last year, I'm pretty sure there was 1 hotel (Renaissance) for skaters, coaches, officials and the same in 2020. In 2019, there were 2. It depends on the size of the hotel and the amount of rooms the hotel is willing to reserve for USFS.

mtnskater

I’m pretty sure The Fairmont was one of the official hotels at both 2012 and 2018 Nationals. I remember seeing Frank Carroll checking in at the front desk in 2012 as well as lots of skater sitings. Also recall USFS ran a large bus shuttle from the hotel to the SAP center in 2018. Im guessing that at the rate I got I won’t get a remodeled room, but I really liked the old Fairmont as it was. Yes the rooms were slightly dated but they were large with large luxurious bathrooms And nice views.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
If anyone is interested in staying at the Flamingo Motel, I have canceled my reservation there so there should be at least one available room again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information