2022–23 Canadian Pairs: News and Updates

skatingguy

decently
K/F got the world champion PCS boost, but the technical score should not have been as close as it was. IMO S-D/D should have eked out the win in the FP, but I would have been okay with silver overall due to the SP

Has there been any talk of Deanna trying for Canadian citizenship? I know the Olympics are ages away, and sh!t happens (especially to 'elderly' people in this sport), but it would be great if she had the option to even potentially compete in 2026.
There is no reason to believe that Stellato-Dudek won't get citizenship in time to compete in 2026 - that was always the goal for Stellato-Dudek/Deschamps.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Laurin and Ethier won $12K 9K USD* plus earned 324 World Standing points for that bronze medal. Hopefully they'll get their Worlds SP minimums -- they were so close at Lake Placid and even closer at Skate America -- because, you never know.

*SMH: I originally posted the GPF number.

Very good news for them!

I did NOT expect to enjoy them so much. A lot of work to do, of course, (All their neg GOE was well-earned...) but I feel like the potential is surprisingly there. Twist in the SP certainly got away from them, but it's nice to see a Canadian pair struggle because it was TOO HIGH!

clairecloutier

Colonel Green

As I said in the competition thread, Deanna & Maxime are the first Canadians other than Piper & Paul to win a Grand Prix in five years.

They're also the first Canadian pair other than Meagan & Eric to win a Grand Prix since Dube & Davison won SkAm in 2007.

mcic

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Great program, great chemistry on the ice, great flow on the ice, the triple twist will be huge someday when it gets there

Heck this program probably could’ve got the bronze in France this weekend lol
No, it couldn't have. For starters, it's just a SP, and while it was nice, it was nowhere near the quality of Hocke/Kunkel. In time, they might get there and while it was nice, I was somewhat underwhelmed.

Sabine-Yuna

Yes, Perkins was with Pereira and Michaud. Really impressive start - 66 and change in the short, 122 in the free skate. All double throws, but all other elements but the 3twist in both programs were level 4, and all with (mostly small) positive GOE.
They sure are promising, but there is no chance you could earn 66 pts. with that SP at an Intl. competition. And at the stage they are with their elements and their skating I can't see a chance to earn 122 in a FS. But they sure have the potential to do so in the future.

Yyzskater

They sure are promising, but there is no chance you could earn 66 pts. with that SP at an Intl. competition. And at the stage they are with their elements and their skating I can't see a chance to earn 122 in a FS. But they sure have the potential to do so in the future.
I was wondering the same thing. They would have beat Deanna and Maxime at GP France in the FP based on their score today and come super close in the SP. But I don't know too much about pairs so I thought maybe they are really that good straight out of the gate

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I was wondering the same thing. They would have beat Deanna and Maxime at GP France in the FP based on their score today and come super close in the SP. But I don't know too much about pairs so I thought maybe they are really that good straight out of the gate

I viewed the protocols and the FS for P/M - perhaps they wouldn't get all the maximum levels with an international panel , but imo, there isn't that much "home cooking" with that score.
I said this over in KnC, but I'm happy to say it again - that was a pretty decent FS from PerMich. The only real weakness are the throws, but apart from that, it was very solid. Trennt's feet on the lifts was still a little sketchy at points, but it's also a fan cam and they are brand-new, so I'm giving that a pass for now. Skate Canada would do well to send them to Golden Spin. There's no reason to believe they can't easily achieve the Worlds TES minimums.

Also, they would be eligible for GP assignments based on Trennt's Worlds finish last year, as a "Return of a Split Couple", and I could see them getting 2 assignments on the initial round, even if they don't wind up as a seeded team from Worlds.

puglover

I admit to a special fondness for Trennt and it makes me so happy to see him continuing. My experience says - it is a huge bonus if the woman can jump. She looks quite comfortable in the lifts but that is probably where his experience is a tremendous help for a new team.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information