2022–23 Canadian Ice Dance: News and Updates

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
I an unabashedly a fan of the Evita soundtrack, and loooooved Nicole Bobek's every skate to it. Even the uninspired ones.

I have big hope this Evita FD is going to be something impressive/special. I sincerely doubt they're telling the Eva/Col. Peron story.

chantilly

Agreed, 10-fold. I've thought the Waltz for Che & Eva has been ripe for a great skating program forever.

I'm not sure about Piper as Eva, but I'm excited for her to impress me.
Piper is one of the best and most natural actors in skating IMO.
True she hasn’t yet played someone as manipulative as Eva Perron, but I think she can’t handle it.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Per the Skate Canada release Makita and Gunara are out of SCI due to injury and are being replaced by Lauriault and Le Gac. Also Emmy Bronsard and Jacob Richmond have been assigned to Warsaw Cup.
Oh, I'm sad for Makita & Gunara - I really like them. But good for LaGacs!

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Didn't M&G pull out of an earlier event as well? Hope there aren't serious injuries involved or anything like that.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Agreed, 10-fold. I've thought the Waltz for Che & Eva has been ripe for a great skating program forever.

I'm not sure about Piper as Eva, but I'm excited for her to impress me.

And they will use that song.

From the updated ISU bio:

Music Free Skating / Free Dance as of season 2022/2023
You Must Love Me (from Evita) by Andrew Lloyd Webber, perf. by Madonna
Waltz for Eva and Che (from Evita) by Andrew Lloyd Webber, perf. by Party Time Karaoke
Waltz for Eva and Che (from Evita) by Andrew Lloyd Webber, perf. by Madonna & Antonio Banderas
Don't Cry For Me Argentina (from Evita) by Andrew Lloyd Webber, perf. by Madonna

chantilly

I’m not loving them using the Madonna version of the song to be honest. However I do remember being pleasantly surprised that she did Ok with it. Patti Lupone sang the definitive version, but I can see why they’d use Madonna for the familiarity.

I’m stumped by Party Time Karoke. Not instilling much confidence.

Was excited by the music announcement but this is a bit disappointing to hear.

Hopefully it’s fine. We’ll find out soon enough.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
I’m not loving them using the Madonna version of the song to be honest. However I do remember being pleasantly surprised that she did Ok with it. Patti Lupone sang the definitive version, but I can see why they’d use Madonna for the familiarity.

I’m stumped by Party Time Karoke. Not instilling much confidence.

Possibly they decided that they needed an instrumental section for particular emphasis - or maybe they sampled it underneath to bring out the beat more. Looking at their ISU bio, it seems like they did something similar with their rhythm dance - sandwiching a generic ballroom dance rhymba beat between the main piece.

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Every inch of respect due to the towering genius that is Patti Lupone - and every singer from Evita who made the role something special... but Madonna managed to pull off an impressive feat in the movie, and I think it's definitive as far as the general population is concerned. (Theatre fans are very special and obviously know better, etc etc etc)

Still looking forward to seeing how this looks! ...but hoping they don't follow the same trajectory their opening weekend as C&B by starting the season so late.

honey

Agree it ended abruptly. The ending was just kind of there, with no conclusion.

And I’m prefacing the next statement by saying in no way am I comparing them to V/M, nor do I think this is going to be Moulin Rouge (so V/M fanatics sit down):

I felt the same way about the original ending of Moulin Rouge as I did for this Evita program. Not enough oomph and it needs something grand at the end. Fizzling out like that takes the wind out of the audience, who are already on board because of the sweeping, familiar music. Don’t blow that. Ramp up the ending and have yourselves a moment. V/M changed Moulin Rouge for the better in this regard and it worked brilliantly. Hopefully G/P will do the same here.

I also can’t believe they had this in their back pockets and didn’t try to change the program last year to this. :shuffle: .Evita is already miles beyond what they were doing last season.

Per the interview on CBC Gem, they originally started choreographing this in 2020 after worlds was cancelled. They abandoned it after it took so long to get back into the rink and stuck with Both Sides Now for the 2021 season. So, it sounds like at least some of it was completed then.

Anyway, happy for them that they look like they are enjoying what they are doing right now. I didn’t sense that last year. I look forward to seeing how this program develops over the season.

chantilly

Agree it ended abruptly. The ending was just kind of there, with no conclusion.

And I’m prefacing the next statement by saying in no way am I comparing them to V/M, nor do I think this is going to be Moulin Rouge (so V/M fanatics sit down):

I felt the same way about the original ending of Moulin Rouge as I did for this Evita program. Not enough oomph and it needs something grand at the end. Fizzling out like that takes the wind out of the audience, who are already on board because of the sweeping, familiar music. Don’t blow that. Ramp up the ending and have yourselves a moment. V/M changed Moulin Rouge for the better in this regard and it worked brilliantly. Hopefully G/P will do the same here.

I also can’t believe they had this in their back pockets and didn’t try to change the program last year to this. :shuffle: .Evita is already miles beyond what they were doing last season.

Per the interview on CBC Gem, they originally started choreographing this in 2020 after worlds was cancelled. They abandoned it after it took so long to get back into the rink and stuck with Both Sides Now for the 2021 season. So, it sounds like at least some of it was completed then.

Anyway, happy for them that they look like they are enjoying what they are doing right now. I didn’t sense that last year. I look forward to seeing how this program develops over the season.
I had the same thoughts and I am a V/M Uber.

The retweak of that FD made it Olympic worthy.

V/m kinda made the end a bit theatrical but it worked and MR is a very theatrical piece.

However I didn’t have the issue with the ending of G/P as most did.

It didn’t bother me. But for sure there is work to be done.

I’m pretty sure it’ll evolve.

They just started working on it in July per Carol Lane.

And they definitely need to get better levels, although it seems most teams are struggling.

This is definitely a podium challenging program.

They have a big fight against the Italians and Americans but they definitely have a shot at a gold and a medal for sure.

Curious to see the Italians, who I’ve always understood are great skaters, but I’ve never liked their material.

I thought their MJ RD was atrocious.

Something about them just always misses the mark for me.

I think I just don’t find them either moving or exciting.

We will see soon enough what they have up their sleeve.

Piper and Paul will have to be technically perfect and have a moment to win the whole thing though I think.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Jordan from On Ice Perspectives filmed some of Carol Lane's teams this week.

Gilles/Poirier:

Soucisse/Firus:

Bashynska/Beaumont:

yurokis40

I hope lajoie and lagha beat the canadanes at nationals, sending the canadanes to worlds is too risky sorensen is too mistake prone and lala have the way better freedance. Btw Lala should have won silver in sheffield can`t believe this mediocre british team is winning medals, Lilah fear is such a weak skater and comparing back to back Marjorie is so superior to her not even funny. Their rd is so cringe I hate this political scoring international judges won`t give lala the huge marks until they win nationals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information