Provisional allotments for ISU Championships 2022, 2023 & 2024; future bids discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

skategal

Bunny mama
If SC and SA are going to be near each other, I would say that rules out Halifax for SC.

Plus they are doing a joint bid with Moncton NB for the World Junior Hockey in 2023 so it’s all in for that event.

It probably rules out Moncton as well…

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Everett was too cold and gloomy. And not close to the airport. Kent was the better option if they must do the Seattle area.

I liked Everett. The downtown merchants were really happy to welcome everyone and the arena was great.

Any event in the Northwest in mid to late October is going to have some rain and gloom.

ETA I haven't been to SA in Vegas, but the world curling championships are there this week, and everyone involved seems very happy with the Orleans. The main issue is very few spectators, but curling is tough to sell as it's not well known.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
It’s less than two hours from Lake Placid to Montreal. And upstate NY is beeyootiful in October.

But Buffalo-Toronto area is acceptable.

skategal

Bunny mama
I liked Everett. The downtown merchants were really happy to welcome everyone and the arena was great.

Any event in the Northwest in mid to late October is going to have some rain and gloom.

ETA I haven't been to SA in Vegas, but the world curling championships are there this week, and everyone involved seems very happy with the Orleans. The main issue is very few spectators, but curling is tough to sell as it's not well known.
There have been many complaints about the quality of the ice (and how it changes throughout the day) from the curlers.

I’m wondering if it has been made to the preferences of figure skaters. :lol:

Dobre

Possibly? Fall can be very pretty in the Pacific Northwest. East of the Cascades, like Spokane & Kelowna, can both be quite lovely in October. (I also have at least one memory of trick-or-treating in the snow). Even in the Seattle area, I have memories of walking to the park & adopting maple trees in October. Generally speaking, I find that Skate America/Skate Canada weather in the Pacific Northwest tends to be pretty great compared to much of the skating season. (We did see snow in the mountains on our drive to Lethbridge and wish we had brought our snow tires, but we lucked out and made it home before winter got us).

Last edited:

once_upon

Better off than 2020
I just want it to be somewhere that I can get to without spending an arm and a leg to get to. I don't necessarily need a straight through flight, because there really aren't many from here - Chicago, Minneapolis, Detroit, Denver and Atlanta - are among the few.

But airfare less than $600 one way would be nice. And a hotel less than $200/night would be great.

mattiecat13

Since SA has been in Vegas for the last couple of years we’re hoping for something on the east coast, though hopefully not Lake Placid since it’s so difficult to get to. Failing that, an east coast Skate Canada is an option. But as I said before, I suspect so few cities bid on SA at this point, I doubt USFS has a whole lot of options.

once_upon

Better off than 2020
If it is Las Vegas, I don't think I'd go. It might be Skate Canada depending on location.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Possibly? Fall can be very pretty in the Pacific Northwest. East of the Cascades, like Spokane & Kelowna, can both be quite lovely in October. (I also have at least one memory of trick-or-treating in the snow). Even in the Seattle area, I have memories of walking to the park & adopting maple trees in October. Generally speaking, I find that Skate America/Skate Canada weather in the Pacific Northwest tends to be pretty great compared to much of the skating season. (We did see snow in the mountains on our drive to Lethbridge and wish we had brought our snow tires, but we lucked out and made it home before winter got us).

If you define "great" as "not tons of snow" then yes, I agree with you. But it rains in the PNW in the fall. There are very nice sunny days, but there are more days of gloomy cloud and/or rain.

moonvine

One way to get to Lake Placid is by Amtrak. The train ride has gorgeous scenery and it was a very relaxing way to travel. Amtrak doesn't go all the way into Lake Placid, but it has contracted with a shuttle bus company to take you the rest of the way. I'd never travel there any other way now and especially if the weather is bad and driving or flying look dicey.
Amtrak tells me I can’t get there from here.

moonvine

I figure we have three locations in the running for skate America. Las Vegas, Colorado Springs, Lake Placid

Since I will not be going to nationals next year, if this is someplace that I can get to easily I will probably go. if it’s someplace like Lake Placid, where it’s a two day journey to get there, I’ll just watch it on Peacock
Those all sound equally bad to me.

Hanna

Skating junkie
Boston is the U.S. bid city for 2025 Worlds!!! I was not expecting this—but I’m excited!!

Other bidders are Malmo, Prague, Budapest, Beijing
Interesting, thanks for this!

Boston probably has a good chance, too.

Looks like Prague, Innsbruck, Taipei City and Budapest are just desperate to host anything. :lol: The two former would actually be great!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Boston is the U.S. bid city for 2025 Worlds!!! I was not expecting this—but I’m excited!!

Beijing would be a big no for me. I remember visiting there after going to the 2015 World Championships in Shanghai. The sky was brown from so much pollution, and I was coughing for weeks afterwards when I got home.

Plus, the scammers were a total nightmare, and made the experience particularly unpleasant. As a foreign tourist, you simply couldn't get away from them.

sk9tingfan

I'm very excited as well. The only issue I see is the ISU granting 2024 to Montreal that missed its opportunity due to prior cancellation, and loathe to place Worlds in North America two years in a row. 😞

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information