Provisional allotments for ISU Championships 2022, 2023 & 2024; future bids discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
And I think we need to remember that audience = cash.
Except they don't really. These events are expensive to put on and having an audience adds to the expense. The amount we pay for our tickets doesn't generate a lot of profit if any. Most of the money comes from TV and sponsorships.

Many people are fans of sports they only watch on tv. I think I have been to one football game in my entire life and it was a minor league game someone invited me to. I rarely go to watch my home team play baseball either. The only time I attended the World Triathlon Championship was when I was there as an athlete (they were still combining it with the Worlds for amateur/recreational athletes -- now we have our own).

Skating is the only sport I follow where I go to competitions and mostly that's because I can meet people from FSU there. And because they are relatively cheap compared to other sports. A week of skating, 12-16 hours a day for $575? Two tickets to Warriors games in the equivalent seat is more than that.

Miezekatze

I'd guess the big venues in Paris are much too expensive for a week long sports events of a not very "rich" sport, plus I'm sure there is lots of competition from other entertainment events, like big music stars, who are probably also more attractive for the venues and who want to play the big cities.

FWIW I think the crowd size in Montpellier was just fine, especially on the last days, especially considering the uncertainty in the time leading up to it with regards to the Omicron wave, the Corona restrictions, ...in December/January I was still unsure whether big events with audience were going to happen in March. Considering all that, I think demand looked just fine.

Also even if Montpellier and Grenoble might seem "obscure" to North Americans and Asians, I'm not sure the French would necessarily agree? There's tons of towns in Germany, that are not Berlin, that still would be considered towns suitable for big events here (Dortmund is not exactly a famous or huge city in Germany either and it hosted Worlds).

Dobre

Ughhhh I really wanted to go to Norwood this year. Lake Placid is such a PITA to get to.
Don't knock it. People can breathe there. And it's so pretty.

Mom & I had a wonderful time at the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships there. We flew in on an itty bitty plane from Boston and had a taxi scheduled to pick us up & take us back to the airport. We did have to walk through the town in order to get to the arena (which was normally good for us, but one day involved walking through a flash flood). It is a more difficult arena to access than many, and accessibility is a legitimate concern; but not that many people attend the CS events anyway so size-wise this event seems like a good fit to me.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
One way to get to Lake Placid is by Amtrak. The train ride has gorgeous scenery and it was a very relaxing way to travel. Amtrak doesn't go all the way into Lake Placid, but it has contracted with a shuttle bus company to take you the rest of the way. I'd never travel there any other way now and especially if the weather is bad and driving or flying look dicey.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
There was a time when I wanted to do the Lake Placid Ironman and then stay for the Ice Dance competition. They were back to back!

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Don't knock it. People can breathe there. And it's so pretty.

Mom & I had a wonderful time at the Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships there. We flew in on an itty bitty plane from Boston and had a taxi scheduled to pick us up & take us back to the airport. We did have to walk through the town in order to get to the arena (which was normally good for us, but one day involved walking through a flash flood). It is a more difficult arena to access than many, and accessibility is a legitimate concern; but not that many people attend the CS events anyway so size-wise this event seems like a good fit to me.
It was very pretty when I went there for SA, but it’s just a very long day of travel to take two flights and then have to drive two hours or more.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I'd guess the big venues in Paris are much too expensive for a week long sports events of a not very "rich" sport, plus I'm sure there is lots of competition from other entertainment events, like big music stars, who are probably also more attractive for the venues and who want to play the big cities.

Also professional or semi-professional sports teams, if the venue is where their home games are played. If their season overlaps with Worlds dates, it could be hard to get that venue for an entire week.

Another consideration is practice ice. Most ISU events IIRC use a second rink for practice time, and it could be difficult logistically if the main venue is a single-sheet arena downtown and the practice ice is somewhere off in the burbs. Not impossible, but the travel back and forth could be an issue.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Except they don't really. These events are expensive to put on and having an audience adds to the expense. The amount we pay for our tickets doesn't generate a lot of profit if any. Most of the money comes from TV and sponsorships.

Many people are fans of sports they only watch on tv. ....
EXACTLY to my points above. The only reason why my mom & I traveled to skating events 30, 40, 50 years ago was to SEE them, as they were never shown on TV.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
So I Need to Know accurate dates for the CS, to convince DH we should go and then see his friend in Willsboro rather than go way out of the way at end of our Canada trip.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
I'd love to visit Lake Placid.

Montpellier was a lovely place to host a skating event. The arena was full, audience buzzing, and the city was so nice! I had the most fun at a skating event ever. Ontario CA for SA was the worst even though I could drive there :lol:

Debbie S

Folks here better accept that SkAm isn't going to the East Coast this year what with the US International Classic being in Lake Placid.
Well, by that reasoning, SA won't be in Vegas since Nats is in San Jose.

I doubt the location of one event has anything to do with the other.

USFS doesn't care about spreading events around (except when they have to, like the Nats Qual Series). They're going to go where they can get the best deal (whatever that looks like for the specific event) and where their officials and VIPs don't mind going. It would be nice if they could spread major events between different areas of the country each season but as we have already established, fans aren't their priority.

So I Need to Know accurate dates for the CS, to convince DH we should go and then see his friend in Willsboro rather than go way out of the way at end of our Canada trip.
I guess the USFS events people would know. Hopefully they clarify soon. Governing Council is in a few weeks and dates of the coming season's events are usually listed in the report that is published in advance.

azcalder

One way to get to Lake Placid is by Amtrak. The train ride has gorgeous scenery and it was a very relaxing way to travel. Amtrak doesn't go all the way into Lake Placid, but it has contracted with a shuttle bus company to take you the rest of the way. I'd never travel there any other way now and especially if the weather is bad and driving or flying look dicey.
That shuttle service was actually part of your Amtrak ticket, but it ended several years ago. The train doesn't even stop at Westport anymore. I checked it today. There is a bus from the Albany Airport, but it stops at everyone's back door as it winds through the mountains. The small Lake Saranac Airport only has flights from the Cape Cod Express that flies from Boston. As already mentioned, it's a very small plane. With all the renovations being done at the Lake Placid Ice Center, I understand major events are anticipated. The LPIDI returns to its original home in July 2022. The Winter World University Games are scheduled for January 2023

mattiecat13

Honestly, I doubt that many cities are bidding to hold Skate America/US Nationals these days so most likely the events are awarded to whichever city actually does bid on it. I was told in Nashville by a USFS person that while they didn’t know the location for 2022 Skate America, they did know it wouldn’t be in Las Vegas. 🤷‍♀️ Hopefully, we’ll find out after the Governing Council meeting next month. If it’s in the west, I may attend Skate Canada. Does anyone know the location for Skate Canada or when it will be announced?

emilieh

I heard rumours that Skate America and Skate Canada would be close-ish to each other, but those rumours were months ago, with still no announcements, so I'd imagine that things haven't panned out as planned.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
I heard rumours that Skate America and Skate Canada would be close-ish to each other, but those rumours were months ago, with still no announcements, so I'd imagine that things haven't panned out as planned.
Detroit and London?

Debbie S

Gov Council meeting book is posted (on USFS members site). No mention of upcoming season events - dates or locations. (Maybe they don't have a location for SA yet...although it looks like the report was put together about a month ago.)

Debbie S

I just read through it again...a few of the proposals I wanted to read more thoroughly...and I now see that on the list of previous BoD actions, it does note their approval of the U.S. Classic and gives the dates of Sept 12-16, so it appears those dates are correct.

Approval of SA is also listed but location is blacked out, pending "public announcement." I wonder if this means they don't plan to announce until after GC, which is in 3 weeks. I hope they'll announce before then, assuming they have a location confirmed.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I just read through it again...a few of the proposals I wanted to read more thoroughly...and I now see that on the list of previous BoD actions, it does note their approval of the U.S. Classic and gives the dates of Sept 12-16, so it appears those dates are correct.

Approval of SA is also listed but location is blacked out, pending "public announcement." I wonder if this means they don't plan to announce until after GC, which is in 3 weeks. I hope they'll announce before then, assuming they have a location confirmed.
As a retired person I consider it my duty to attend a CS held during the work week!

clairecloutier

I heard last night at the EWC event that those dates for U.S. Classic aren't fully finalized yet, but that the event probably will be occurring mostly during the week, and not on the weekend. Apparently this weekday scheduling was requested by someone (perhaps the ISU? so it doesn't overlap with Lombardia??).

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I heard last night at the EWC event that those dates for U.S. Classic aren't fully finalized yet, but that the event probably will be occurring mostly during the week, and not on the weekend. Apparently this weekday scheduling was requested by someone (perhaps the ISU? so it doesn't overlap with Lombardia??).
Well, the obvious choice would have been to have moved it back to the previous weekend. But, no, the USFS/SCOB solution is a mid-week competition...

Carolla5501

I figure we have three locations in the running for skate America. Las Vegas, Colorado Springs, Lake Placid

Since I will not be going to nationals next year, if this is someplace that I can get to easily I will probably go. if it’s someplace like Lake Placid, where it’s a two day journey to get there, I’ll just watch it on Peacock

Rhumba d’Amour

I figure we have three locations in the running for skate America. Las Vegas, Colorado Springs, Lake Placid
Not the Skating Club of Boston? I would have thought that would be in the mix!

watch us all be wrong and they put it somewhere none of us would have anticipated! :)

clairecloutier

Well, the obvious choice would have been to have moved it back to the previous weekend. But, no, the USFS/SCOB solution is a mid-week competition...

Why would SCOB be involved in deciding the timeframe for a Lake Placid event?? :D

I agree, though, that they seemingly could have just pushed it back to the previous weekend. There must be some reason for this unusual scheduling, but I have no idea what it is.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Why would SCOB be involved in deciding the timeframe for a Lake Placid event?? :D

I agree, though, that they seemingly could have just pushed it back to the previous weekend. There must be some reason for this unusual scheduling, but I have no idea what it is.
Oh, brain fart. I thought US Classic was in Boston again this season. Or somewhere more accessible than Lake Placid at least, lol.

Las Vegas and Vancouver. :D

Not the Skating Club of Boston? I would have thought that would be in the mix!

watch us all be wrong and they put it somewhere none of us would have anticipated! :)
Piggybacking off the "watch us all be wrong" and the rumor that SkAm and SCI will be near each other this fall...

Spokane and Kelowna! Or Everett and Kamloops!

Lolololololol!

Debbie S

Saint John, NB and Portland, Maine? :biggrinbo
Now, I would go for that. :) I've never been to Maine and the weather will still be decent in Oct. But seriously, if the goal is to hold SA and SC close to each other, somewhere in New England seems like an obvious choice. But yeah, the Pacific NW is another option...but wasn't SC in BC this past year? SC might want to move it around.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
Las Vegas and Vancouver. :D
Las Vegas and Vancouver are not even in the same timezone?

I hope for Everett and Kelowna ! Kelowna was really wonderful.

It could also be Seattle proper though I’m guessing our new/old/rebuilt NHL arena is too big. But I have my fingers crossed for a nationals or even worlds (though parking is a PITA $$$)

I’m not sure I’d say Montpellier is out of the way? There can’t be direct flights from everywhere, unless you severely limit the host cities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information