Non-Russian skaters training in Russia

Sylvia

TBD
Elizabet Tursynbaeva announced her retirement from competition in September 2021 but still skates for fun (I assume she continues her studies at the Moscow State Institute of International Relations) - her latest post includes photos from the outdoor rink in Red Square: https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca7PKsHs89O/

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
Kazakova & Reviya appear to be DRIVING to Georgia. I do hope they are able to remain safe and get there soon. Lonnnnng but beautiful trip, even if they flew to somewhere like Sochi first.

Yow, that's long and dangerous. Who knew ice dancers were so adventurous?

I agree with most of what @TAHbKA wrote (although :lol: that the USSR immigrants in the '90s were better and smarter than native Israelis, I will not report that comment to my husband who likes her.) But somewhere Andrey also posted that despite the high educational attainments of FSU immigrants in Israel, they have few political or business leaders, they are not represented at the top of the army and so on. It usually takes two generations for people to integrate enough to be leaders in their new society.

I know a lot of people in the DC area working to house and help Afghan refugees, I'm about to join the board of a new organization providing housing to refugees myself. Of course, DC gets new waves of refugees (and restaurants) every single time the US has a foreign policy feckup, meaning we have some of the best Vietnamese, Persian, Salvadorean, Somali, Ethiopian, Afghan and Iraqi restaurants in the country. Elsewhere in the country, a lot of xenophobia just like most places. People want to live with people who look and think like them.

Orm Irian

Has there been any info on where/how Hektor Giotopoulos Moore and Anastasia Golubeva are? They're still listed for Worlds and Junior Worlds on the ISA spreadsheet, but I can't imagine it's going to become any easier for them to get out of Russia to attend the longer they stay there.

Vagabond

MacMadame

Doing all the things

Vagabond

That's interesting because I thought there were requirements to be an ISU federation and that included having ice to train on. Is this not true?
It is true, but for one reason or another, the ISU isn't doing anything about it. It's possible that they don't have the facts, but I would not be surprised if there were another reason. :bloc:

Last edited:

Miezekatze

Azerbaijan buys themselves everything and into everything. Art, pop artists, Eurovision Song contests, sports, politicians,...I'm sure they can also present proof of at least 10 imaginary ice rinks for an ISU membership in an envelope with a couple of millions or something :shuffle:

MsZem

I see the sea
Azerbaijan buys themselves everything and into everything. Art, pop artists, Eurovision Song contests, sports, politicians,...I'm sure they can also present proof of at least 10 imaginary ice rinks for an ISU membership in an envelope with a couple of millions or something :shuffle:
If memory serves, Ell and Nikki are vastly more Azerbaijani than basically every skater to ever represent Azerbaijan. So there's that, at least ;)

Hedwig

Antique member
That's interesting because I thought there were requirements to be an ISU federation and that included having ice to train on. Is this not true?
it is a requirement at the point of entering the ISU. They had a rink but it is now not used anymore.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Ryabova and Litvintsev were in Azerbaijan to meet with the head of Azerbaijan's Winter Spirts Federation. We'll see if they return to Moscow prior to Worlds.

Alina Urushadze has posted in the last day or so to her IG and is still in Moscow.

Andrea82

Vladimir Samoilov moved to Egna (Italy) to work with Angelika Turenko.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Post Worlds...

Looks like Safina/Berulava have returned to Perm. Hopefully not permanently.

Ryabova looks ro be training in Courchevel post-Worlds per her IG.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story
I've lost track, can foreign skaters still train in Russia or is that included in the ban on anything Russian?

Orm Irian

I've lost track, can foreign skaters still train in Russia or is that included in the ban on anything Russian?
I haven't heard anything formal about it being banned, but per their instagrams Harley is back in Sydney and Hektor and Anastasia are currently training for Junior Worlds in Tallinn, so they at least seem to be avoiding it in practice now.

Carolla5501

I would think another concern would be just expenses. Based on some of the banking and finance restrictions I’ve seen transferring money and converting money might be a real challenge

hanca

Values her privacy
I would think another concern would be just expenses. Based on some of the banking and finance restrictions I’ve seen transferring money and converting money might be a real challenge
That depends. Quite a few of the foreign skaters are just Russian skaters skating for a different country, so there would be no need to transfer or convert money. As far as I know, Safina/Berulava remained in Perm.

Carolla5501

That depends. Quite a few of the foreign skaters are just Russian skaters skating for a different country, so there would be no need to transfer or convert money. As far as I know, Safina/Berulava remained in Perm.
Yes I was thinking more about skaters who might have gone over there to train although honestly I don’t follow where people train

Of course leaving is not easy just ask Brittany Griner who’s now locked up in jail. (Maybe she had the drugs with her maybe they were planted it’s going to be very hard to find out)

airgelaal

Reportedly Nazarova/Nikitin are coaching contestants on the Romanian Dancing on Ice show. I'm glad they've found work!

They also performed there

Last edited:

Hanna

Skating junkie
So glad that they've managed to find at least a bit of work and somewhere they get to skate and perform, as that's what they were looking for. :love:

Edit: And I love that they brought back the double illusion spin! They used to do that in their 2015 FD and to this day I find it one of the coolest ice dance elements. :kickass:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information