CAS rules Valieva can compete - reactions/fallout, plus some details from the hearing

Areski

As many as had "exercise-induced asthma" under Alberto Salazar. ;)

I used to take that! Then I switched to ubiquinol because it's supposed to be better absorbed. It's supposed to give us old folks more energy but I wasn't convinced it did anything so I stopped buying it to save the money.

CoQ10 and L-carnitine are popular with endurance athletes.
Norwegians top cross-country skiiers nearly all have "excercise-induced asthma". After poor World Championships in 2009 in Liberec suddenly most of them developed that "asthma" and started dominating. :/ I do wonder how many more wins, medals would Justyna Kowalczyk from my country - Poland get if not for that factoring. She did not have a benefit of symbicort nebulisations.

Last edited:

concorde

Norwegians top cross-country skiiers nearly all have "excercise-induced asthma". After poor World Championships in 2009 in Liberec suddenly most of them developed that "asthma" and started dominating. :/ I do wonder how many more wins, medals would Justyna Kowalczyk from my country - Poland get if not for that factoring. She did not have a benefit of symbicort nebulisations.
Anyone who trains in a cold dry environment is prone to get it. Most common athletes to develop it are skaters and skiers. That was per my daughter's peditrician when she was diagnosed with it.

If swimmers were suddenly saying they had it, I would be raising my eyebrow in curiosity.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Anyone who trains in a cold dry environment is prone to get it. Most common athletes to develop it are skaters and skiers. That was per my daughter's peditrician when she was diagnosed with it.

If swimmers were suddenly saying they had it, I would be raising my eyebrow in curiosity.
:lol: because

AYS

🌻

Based on my close to 20 years' experience as a swim parent (age group/high school/NCAA), I can say that asthma is pretty prevalent among non-elite swimmers as well. Rather than being triggered by exercise in the cold, I believe it's more related to exercising in the poor air quality in most aquatic centers (ie the chlorine and other chemicals, lack of outside air circulation).

Rafter

It is interesting, if not really surprising, how quiet The Japanese skating fed and Olympic Organization have been. Besides the team medal, they are the most affected in the ladies event. There was the post about Kihari. I wonder what would happen if Hanyu did the team event….

What’s the post about Kihari?

soogar

Oh, Eteri knew. She probably promised Valieva she wouldn't get caught
I'm sure Valieva knows too. Interesting how this minor actually knows and can testify as to what she is taking. I honestly think they should just stop dope testing and make the age 18. Let adult athletes decide what kind of regimen to take.

It gets very problematic with OTC supplements because in the US at least, they don't have to disclose all of their contents on the label. They are at a lower standard than medicine and many are contaminated with banned substances. Most US athletes have to check their vitamins carefully and only take approved vitamins and supplements.

I find it hard to believe that Russia, which has/had a very sophisticated doping system. would not have a list of clean supplements for its athletes to take. Especially in light of what is going on now.

Seerek

Before what happened this week with KV, the big story was Therese Johaug winning 2 gold medals (thus far) after missing the 2018 Olympics due a suspension.

soogar

Based on my close to 20 years' experience as a swim parent (age group/high school/NCAA), I can say that asthma is pretty prevalent among non-elite swimmers as well. Rather than being triggered by exercise in the cold, I believe it's more related to exercising in the poor air quality in most aquatic centers (ie the chlorine and other chemicals, lack of outside air circulation).
I worked in a poultry plant, and there was a lot of chlorine used for washing equipment and floors and many workers also developed breathing issues.

Debbie S

They still sell the real deal pseudoephedrine behind the counter with monthly purchase limits. Phenylepherine was the replacement that they used for the products not behind the counter. It has 30% of the bioavibility and is basically worthless as a decongestant.
Yep. I had a bad cold about 3 years ago and got the OTC stuff and it did nothing. Went back for the real stuff, which consisted of me taking a card from the display/aisle to the cashier to get it out from behind the counter, then signing something on the keypad that said I wasn't a drug dealer, and handing over my drivers license so they could copy (or maybe they just entered the number). I'm like, I just want to be able to breathe.

I have about half left, but now I see that it expired in March of 2020 (which is less than a year after I bought it). But I think drugs last a couple years after expiry?

screech

I have about half left, but now I see that it expired in March of 2020 (which is less than a year after I bought it). But I think drugs last a couple years after expiry?
I was taking some expired Robax earlier this year and was worried so I looked it up. It seems that most medications are still fine (within reason) after expiry, however their efficacy is less, so people often have to take a higher dosage to get the same effect.

carriecmu0503

She is 15 even if she knew! She is not old enough to consent
If she, or anyone, wants to compete with the adults, then they need to follow the adult rules. If she wants to whine that she’s too young to understand what’s going on or can’t consent, she needs to go back to juniors! This is totally ridiculous, this whole protected person nonsense. There should be no such thing at Olympic competition. Either do away with that, or raise the minimum age to be eligible to compete. I don’t feel sorry for her at all. 15 is plenty old enough to know about banned substances and that you need to be very careful with what you’re taking. I don’t know why people are acting like 15-year-olds have the intellect of a pea.

Last edited:

becca

If she, or anyone, wants to compete with the adults, then they need to follow the adult rules. If she wants to whine that she’s too young to understand what’s going on or can’t consent, she needs to go back to juniors! This is totally ridiculous, this whole protected person nonsense. There should be no such thing and Olympic competition. Either do away with that, or raise the minimum age to be eligible to compete. I don’t feel sorry for her at all. 15 is plenty old enough to know about banned substances and that you need to be very careful with what you’re taking. I don’t know why people are acting like 15-year-olds have the intellective a pea.

I am actually now all for age rules because I think not old enough to handle all the responsibilities not old enough to compete.

But she comes from a very different system than a western one and is very young.

millyskate

Sure, mistakes can’t be made, but samples are kept for up to 10 years for testing well after events using new screening techniques. That is why some 2012 medalists were stripped of medals in 2019.

In the other thread, I believe someone posted about cases where the delayed testing argument was made - and was always rejected.
The closest I can think of is the Diane Modahl case where the storage conditions came into play.

Winnipeg

And of course, KV is the only Russian athlete who has taken banned substances...........I would guess, but it is only a guess, that others were in the same boat but were not caught.

I still cannot believe this is happening but then again I can believe it given the players.

Thanks to poster who corrected my comment about the US gymnastics team (it was a long time ago)! still, the rule was followed and they lost the bronze.

WRT poster who said the gymnast was not a minor at 16........I suggest a minor is anyone under the age of 18?!

carriecmu0503

WRT poster who said the gymnast was not a minor at 16........I suggest a minor is anyone under the age of 18?!
16 is the age of adulthood in many countries around the world. As far as WADA is concerned, you are no longer a minor at 16. At 16, WADA imposes adult penalties for doping. For this reason, absolutely nobody under 16 should be allowed to compete in the Olympics or any type of senior elite competition under any circumstances. Time to get rid of anybody 15 or under; this is what the youth Olympics and other junior events are for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information