Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

peibeck

Simply looking
It will indirectly in time. The ROC will for sure say that it does, if they rule against Kamila competing in the women's event. They could claim that the American on the Panel rendered a decision against her to boost American chances of making the podium. Nevertheless, it's bad for optics, and I still say that he should recuse himself.

Three separate organizations filed the complaint (including, finally, the ISU) seeking to overturn RUSADA's decision to lift the temporary suspension. The Russian Fed can spin that 1/3 of the panel hearing the case is American, but in the face of three international organizations enjoining a legal claim against them, that's all it is... spin.

Last edited:

DELTA

We don't know even if KV was aware of what she was taking. It could've been mixed in with other medicine/vitamins.

Cachoo

Russia really has a inferiority complex they always have to blame someone else when they get caught cheating or get their asses handed to them fair and square in sports or anything for that matter.
Historically Russia has been invaded so many times that I think they do have an “us against the world” response that has it’s genesis from all of those invasions. And now here we are at each other’s throats about Ukraine and they see their Olympic star under attack. I think most of us were looking forward to Kamila. They only see it as an attack. It is sad and maddening. When will they ever learn?

becca

Historically Russia has been invaded so many times that I think they do have an “us against the world” response that has it’s genesis from all of those invasions. And now here we are at each other’s throats about Ukraine and they see their Olympic star under attack. I think most of us were looking forward to Kamila. They only see it as an attack. It is sad and maddening. When will they ever learn?
I tend to believe when there is conflict it’s never just one side. A lot of people warned our geopolitical actions over the last 20 years would lead to a hostile
Russia.

Furthermore I even think the timing of this announcement is weird.

rink_mom

We don't know even if KV was aware of what she was taking. It could've been mixed in with other medicine/vitamins.
That's not the focus for right now as the decision that is time sensitive is whether she can compete or not. The how/where/when/who knew what will come later (less rushed). I actually think they way this has been dragged out is torture for a young girl. I don't think she should be allowed to compete as at the end of the day the sample was positive but to have this hanging over her and still having to go to practice ice with all the cameras on her is brutal.

Vagabond

The hearing is expected to last as long as six hours — well into the early hours of Monday morning in Beijing. Once it is complete, the judges will most likely have a short discussion among themselves before retiring for the night and reconvening on Monday to complete their deliberations.

The panel expects to inform the parties, and announce its decision, on Monday afternoon in Beijing, one day before Valieva is — for now — scheduled to compete in the women’s short program.

DELTA

That's not the focus for right now as the decision that is time sensitive is whether she can compete or not. The how/where/when/who knew what will come later (less rushed). I actually think they way this has been dragged out is torture for a young girl. I don't think she should be allowed to compete as at the end of the day the sample was positive but to have this hanging over her and still having to go to practice ice with all the cameras on her is brutal.

From what I heard it was illegal to publically reveal doping case of minor.

rink_mom

From what I heard it was illegal to publically reveal doping case of minor.
There are two reasons her name is officially known
This article describes one https://ita.sport/news/beijing-2022-the-ita-informs-on-figure-skater-kamila-valieva/
"First, the ITA stresses that Ms. Kamila Valieva, a member of the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) delegation in Beijing, is a minor and therefore a ‘Protected Person’ under the World Anti-Doping Code – this status applies to persons under the age of 16. As such, the parties are not subject to mandatory public disclosure of her name or any case she might be involved in, instead any public disclosure must be proportionate to the facts and circumstances of the case. Seeing that some in the media did not grant her the same protection and have reported widely on the basis of unofficial information following the postponement of the medal ceremony of the figure skating Team Event at the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022, the ITA acknowledges the necessity for official information due to heightened public interest."

Secondly - there has only been 1 minor who has competed already in the figure skating event so by even saying "a protected person" it is 100% obvious who it is

DELTA

There are two reasons her name is officially known
This article describes one https://ita.sport/news/beijing-2022-the-ita-informs-on-figure-skater-kamila-valieva/
"First, the ITA stresses that Ms. Kamila Valieva, a member of the Russian Olympic Committee (ROC) delegation in Beijing, is a minor and therefore a ‘Protected Person’ under the World Anti-Doping Code – this status applies to persons under the age of 16. As such, the parties are not subject to mandatory public disclosure of her name or any case she might be involved in, instead any public disclosure must be proportionate to the facts and circumstances of the case. Seeing that some in the media did not grant her the same protection and have reported widely on the basis of unofficial information following the postponement of the medal ceremony of the figure skating Team Event at the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022, the ITA acknowledges the necessity for official information due to heightened public interest."

Secondly - there has only been 1 minor who has competed already in the figure skating event so by even saying "a protected person" it is 100% obvious who it is

Doesn't matter. Rule is broken so there should be consequences.

altai_rose

This is 1 thing I don't quite understand. You're absolutely right that by saying "a protected person" it's clear who it is. In healthcare, HIPAA means that you can't identify a patient by name, age, sex, etc, or by other attributes that would make it clear who it is. For example, a doctor couldn't post on facebook "Wow, just treated [name]." But they also couldn't post "Wow, just treated the pitcher of the baseball team in town today!" because that is also identifiable information. By indicating it's a 'protected person,' they already disclose who it is. Why couldn't they simply have said "an individual in the Team competition" or "a figure skater" and leave the words "protected person" out? Seems like they already broke the rule "As such, the parties are not subject to mandatory public disclosure of her name or any case she might be involved in, instead any public disclosure must be proportionate to the facts and circumstances of the case"

Sylvia

TBD
This article has a timeline of events: https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/russi...ieva-tested-positive-banned/story?id=82782897

Russian media reported Wednesday that 15-year-old figure skater Kamila Valieva had tested positive for a banned drug, after the ceremony to present her and her teammates with their Olympic gold medals was postponed for unexplained legal reasons.

Newspapers RBC and Kommersant named the drug as trimetazidine, which is typically used to treat chest pain.

[...]

Prominent journalist Vasily Konov, deputy general producer at Russian sports channel Match-TV, said without citing sources that the sample in question had been taken two months ago.

"The drug trimetazidine does not help an athlete in any way. At all. It was found in one single sample in December. A minuscule amount. Nothing in her samples before or since," he wrote on social media.

"There is no doping in the conventional sense. No! This cardiac drug has no impact on ... performance. Now leave Kamila in peace."

bcash

I think it's sad that US and Japanese athletes will likely not be able to have their Medals awarded at a proper ceremony in Beijing. It's also sad that this case is overshadowing the Dance competition, where a group of superior athletes and artists are showcasing what FS is about.

ETA
Even if the substance had no impact on performance, testing positive for something on the WADA list would be an indisputable violation. Except now we know that it very much lends an unfair advantage to athletes using it in training and competition.

Bigbird

Do you know how drug got into her body?
No. But it doesn't really matter. They are on probation for doping. The responsibilty is theirs to ensure that no one is doping if they want to be invited to future Olympic Games. I don't care how it got into hers or Bobrova's for that matter. They just keep on doing it. I think it's time to stop playing nice.

DELTA

No. But it doesn't really matter. They are on probation for doping. The responsibilty is theirs to ensure that no one is doping if they want to be invited to future Olympic Games. I don't care how it got into hers or Bobrova's for that matter. They just keep on doing it. I think it's time to stop playing nice.

It matters because it determines the length of suspension. As for Olympics admission, the results should've been available before Olympics, NOT after. I don't believe the excuse that was given for the delay.

Bigbird

It matters because it determines the length of suspension. As for Olympics admission, the results should've been available before Olympics, NOT after. I don't believe the excuse that was given for the delay.
We don't need to believe reason for the delay. Right? They will investigate and find out. But listening to your POV I see this meeting with Valieva as an opportunity to build an even greater case against the ROC. The girl is a great talent. She has had issues with consistency in the past and rather than allowing her to develop like fine wine the ROC it appears took an accelerated route that wasn't necessary. They have a great team don't they? They would have won team gold whichever lady they had used. That's what is so disappointing and that's what the CAS may see.

becca

We don't need to believe reason for the delay. Right? They will investigate and find out. But listening to your POV I see this meeting with Valieva as an opportunity to build an even greater case against the ROC. The girl is a great talent. She has had issues with consistency in the past and rather than allowing her to develop like fine wine the ROC it apoears took an accelerated route that wasn't necessary. They have a great team don't they? They would have won team gold whichever lady they had used. That's what is so disappointing and that's what the CAS may see.
But the fact that Russia would have won with whoever they sent and Liza was left behind is why I have major questions about the timing.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
This is 1 thing I don't quite understand. You're absolutely right that by saying "a protected person" it's clear who it is. In healthcare, HIPAA means that you can't identify a patient by name, age, sex, etc, or by other attributes that would make it clear who it is. For example, a doctor couldn't post on facebook "Wow, just treated [name]." But they also couldn't post "Wow, just treated the pitcher of the baseball team in town today!" because that is also identifiable information. By indicating it's a 'protected person,' they already disclose who it is. Why couldn't they simply have said "an individual in the Team competition" or "a figure skater" and leave the words "protected person" out? Seems like they already broke the rule "As such, the parties are not subject to mandatory public disclosure of her name or any case she might be involved in, instead any public disclosure must be proportionate to the facts and circumstances of the case"
It's a catch-22 situation. As a "Protected Person" she should not have been publicly identified. But, the REST of the skaters who won medals in the TE are NOT Protected Persons so they WOULD have to be publicly identified. There was no way that her identity wouldn't come out even if she is a Protected Person. The IOC/ISU really effed up by delaying the TE medal ceremony because that was the point at which media in Beijing started asking questions and digging.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
If Kamila's suspension is reinstated, will Loena Hendrickx win European's Bronze?
I don't see any reason for the ISU to keep the title vacant, so yes that should be what happens in that event. I'm also very curious to see if the ban only covers that event but not the Olympics-- of course, if the evidence (and the sample B, most likely) are sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information