Russian Figure Skater tests positive for drugs - delays ceremony for team medals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks for re-opening this thread in GSD for those who don't have access to the thread in the 2022 Olympics subforum.

Cross-posting...

CAS Ad hoc Division update on the arbitrations relating to Kamila Valieva (Feb. 12):

OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES BEIJING 2022 (6)

UPDATE ON THE ARBITRATION PROCEDURES BEFORE THE CAS AD HOC DIVISION RELATING TO FIGURE SKATER KAMILA VALIEVA

Beijing, 12 February 2022 – The Ad Hoc Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) provides the following update on the arbitration procedures relating to Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva:

A third application (filed by the International Skating Union (ISU)) has now been registered against the decision issued by the RUSADA Disciplinary Anti-Doping Committee on 9 February 2022 (the Challenged Decision) in which the provisional suspension imposed on Kamila Valieva following the detection of the banned substance trimetazidine in a sample provided by her was lifted, allowing her to continue her participation in the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022.

The case references are:
CAS OG 22/08 International Olympic Committee (IOC) v. Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA)
CAS OG 22/09 World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) v. Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) and Kamila Valieva
CAS OG 22/10 International Skating Union (ISU) v. Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA), Kamila Valieva and Russian Olympic Committee (ROC)

The applications were received at the CAS Ad Hoc Division in Beijing at 20:45 and 22:20 on Friday, 11 February 2022, and at 09:15 on Saturday, 12 February 2022 (Beijing time).

The three procedures are handled together and have been referred to the same panel of arbitrators:
President: Mr Fabio Iudica, Italy
Arbitrators: Mr Jeffrey Benz, United States of America
Dr Vesna Bergant Rakočeviċ, Slovenia

The Panel has issued procedural directions to the parties including the holding of a hearing by videoconference on Sunday, 13 February at 8:30pm (Beijing time).

Following the hearing, the Panel will deliberate and prepare the Arbitral Award containing its decision.
It is anticipated that the decision will be notified to the parties in the afternoon of Monday, 14 February 2022.

Iudica has served as a CAS Arbitrator since 2012 and has worked for over 20 years as a sports lawyer.
The panel includes Jeffrey Benz, a former General Counsel of the United States Olympic Committee, a role he served in between 2001 and 2006.
The presence of an American on the panel, albeit one who has been a CAS arbitrator since 2000, will likely be questioned by Russian officials.
Slovenia's Dr Vesna Bergant Rakočeviċ completes the three-member panel.
Bergant Rakočeviċ is a senior higher judge at the Ljubljana Higher Court and Deputy Chief of the Civil Division, as well as serving as an arbitrator at the Permanent Court of Arbitration at the Slovenian Chamber of Commerce.

Last edited:

soogar

Muscle recovery is essential for muscle building. They try to play it off that it is not performance enhancing but it totally is or they wouldn’t give it to their athletes. I think athletes should be able to take things to recover and that all athletes should have access to recovery drugs, not just athletes who compete for countries that have systems to evade drug detection. Children already have a natural advantages in recovery, so why give her a drug to help her recover? All it does is permit overtraining that can break the bodies faster.

Perky Shae Lynn

Muscle recovery is essential for muscle building. They try to play it off that it is not performance enhancing but it totally is or they wouldn’t give it to their athletes. I think athletes should be able to take things to recover and that all athletes should have access to recovery drugs, not just athletes who compete for countries that have systems to evade drug detection. Children already have a natural advantages in recovery, so why give her a drug to help her recover? All it does is permit overtraining that can break the bodies faster.
Overtraining? What do you mean? Of course there was Medvedeva with her stress fracture and bad back, Trusova with a broken foot, Kostornaya with a broken hand, and Usacheva in a wheelchair with a broken hip... But other than that, it's all peaches and roses.

Last edited:

Susan1

Rainbow

This topic even made it into the German Pharmacies Magazine. They explain in detail, how trimetazidine work. It not only helps with muscle growth and hyperacidity of the muscles (ETA this would be particularly helpful, when training the second part of your program, no?). It even helps with rotary vertigo.

DreamSkates

Sorry I don't know how to post a tweet link but today Johnny Weir (we all know how pro-Russian he is) tweeted about his heartbreak for figure skating over the Valieva-drug issue. He also stated he waited for the facts to come out before tweeting. If you are on twitter you can look up his statement.

e2theeyepie

Sorry I don't know how to post a tweet link but today Johnny Weir (we all know how pro-Russian he is) tweeted about his heartbreak for figure skating over the Valieva-drug issue. He also stated he waited for the facts to come out before tweeting. If you are on twitter you can look up his statement.

ETA: he's being dragged by Skating Twitter for his history of Eteri cheerleading and the lack of substance in this statement.

becca

This news is awful and I am heartbroken but a part of me is hopeful whatever suspension she gets will be minor and maybe we will get more years with her in the sport. I hate the idea of her winning and retiring

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Sorry I don't know how to post a tweet link
For the future, if you click the date/time stamp on the tweet, which is to the right of the poster's name and "@" handle (ex: "Feb 11", "12h"), it will bring you to the tweet, and you can copy the direct URL in the URL window of your browser.) This works for Instagram and Facebook, too, although the date/time is placed differently.

DELTA

This drug helps with overtraining, but NOT for muscle building. If you take it you take in you can train more without developing heart issues.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

ETA: he's being dragged by Skating Twitter for his history of Eteri cheerleading and the lack of substance in this statement.
All he is saying is wait for the facts. The lack of substance is coming from angry fans and media who just love to spread controversy. Why is anyone not waiting for the results of sample B? Will those test results ever come out? Why did the lab send those results exactly after TE ended? C19 delayed it by 6-7 weeks is not a satisfactory answer to me. Everyone and everything should be investigated before drawing any conclusions.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It could be different, based on whether you are on a computer or iPad/iPhone (in my case). Under the tweet, on the right hand side there is a square box with an upward pointing arrow. Click on it, and you see different options. One of them is Copy link. I click on it and my iPad saves the link. You can then post it wherever you want, like fsu/Facebook/ email message, etc.
It May be different on a computer. Next time I will see how it appears there, but the key is to look below the tweet, and find that arrow (other options are just like, Retweet, etc.). I hope this helps,

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
Thanks for re-opening this thread in GSD for those who don't have access to the thread in the 2022 Olympics subforum.

Cross-posting...

CAS Ad hoc Division update on the arbitrations relating to Kamila Valieva (Feb. 12):

OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES BEIJING 2022 (6)

UPDATE ON THE ARBITRATION PROCEDURES BEFORE THE CAS AD HOC DIVISION RELATING TO FIGURE SKATER KAMILA VALIEVA

Beijing, 12 February 2022 – The Ad Hoc Division of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) provides the following update on the arbitration procedures relating to Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva:

A third application (filed by the International Skating Union (ISU)) has now been registered against the decision issued by the RUSADA Disciplinary Anti-Doping Committee on 9 February 2022 (the Challenged Decision) in which the provisional suspension imposed on Kamila Valieva following the detection of the banned substance trimetazidine in a sample provided by her was lifted, allowing her to continue her participation in the Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022.

The case references are:
CAS OG 22/08 International Olympic Committee (IOC) v. Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA)
CAS OG 22/09 World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) v. Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA) and Kamila Valieva
CAS OG 22/10 International Skating Union (ISU) v. Russian Anti-Doping Agency (RUSADA), Kamila Valieva and Russian Olympic Committee (ROC)

The applications were received at the CAS Ad Hoc Division in Beijing at 20:45 and 22:20 on Friday, 11 February 2022, and at 09:15 on Saturday, 12 February 2022 (Beijing time).

The three procedures are handled together and have been referred to the same panel of arbitrators:
President: Mr Fabio Iudica, Italy
Arbitrators: Mr Jeffrey Benz, United States of America
Dr Vesna Bergant Rakočeviċ, Slovenia

The Panel has issued procedural directions to the parties including the holding of a hearing by videoconference on Sunday, 13 February at 8:30pm (Beijing time).

Following the hearing, the Panel will deliberate and prepare the Arbitral Award containing its decision.
It is anticipated that the decision will be notified to the parties in the afternoon of Monday, 14 February 2022.

As an American, I'm not comfortable with the presence of an American on the Panel. As the US team likely would benefit, if the ROC is stripped of the gold medal at some point, imo, the American panelist should recuse himself for someone from a neutral country, in order to avoid a conflict of interest, not to mention that the ROC would naturally accuse him of favoring the American team.

Last edited:

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
This doesn't have anything to do with the Team Event medal.
It will indirectly in time. The ROC will for sure say that it does, if they rule against Kamila competing in the women's event. They could claim that the American on the Panel rendered a decision against her to boost American chances of making the podium. Nevertheless, it's bad for optics, and I still say that he should recuse himself.

skatingguy

decently
It will indirectly in time. The ROC will for sure say that it does, if they rule against Kamila competing in the women's event. They could claim that the American on the Panel rendered a decision against her to boost American chances of making the podium. Nevertheless, it's bad for optics, and I still say that he should recuse himself.
You can't pick your judges in a legal system, and citizenship is not an automatic conflict of interest. The ROC are always going to claim that the process is unfair to them, because it's the only line they know.

DELTA

All he is saying is wait for the facts. The lack of substance is coming from angry fans and media who just love to spread controversy. Why is anyone not waiting for the results of sample B? Will those test results ever come out? Why did the lab send those results exactly after TE ended? C19 delayed it by 6-7 weeks is not a satisfactory answer to me. Everyone and everything should be investigated before drawing any conclusions.

Were her European Champ test results were knows before that? That's what I heard.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!

Oh you can bet on Russia/ROC laying the blame on the USA. They already are…I.e., that USA (& US media like NBC) doing everything in its power to bring USA another gold medal, by hook or crook. Just watch the YouTube cartoons…showing overweight Americans of different colors…some of it quite disgustingly racist, IMO.

Bigbird

Valieva will testify today in CAS
But why the intense focus on Valieva? This is really Russia violating the terms of their suspension, not so? The entire figure skating team could be suspended not only for the remainder of these games and the next, right? Is that why the Russians are gaslighting all coherent arguments to distract from the big picture?

reckless

But why the intense focus on Valieva? This is really Russia violating the terms of their suspension, not so? The entire figure skating team could be suspended not only for the remainder of these games and the next, right? Is that why the Russians are gaslighting all coherent arguments to distract from the big picture?
The only issue before CAS is whether Valieva can compete in the ladies event. The focus is on Valieva because she was the one who failed the drug test.

Questions about her team and other skaters is for further investigation.

Bigbird

The only issue before CAS is whether Valieva can compete in the ladies event. The focus is on Valieva because she was the one who failed the drug test.

Questions about her team and other skaters is for further investigation.
Baby steps. This was so disappointing.

DELTA

Do you know how drug got into her body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information