From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

shuilee

Kolyada withdraws from Euros due to injury!

Wow....what if he's too injured to compete in Olympics. Or he competes with an injury, and bombs the Team Competition like in 2018?

Suddenly Japan or USA could win Gold?!

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

Wow....what if he's too injured to compete in Olympics. Or he competes with an injury, and bombs the Team Competition like in 2018?

USA yes, Japan no. It's going to be close between the USA and Russia for TE gold but if RUS has to use Kondratiuk or one of their other men in the TE instead of Kolyada as well as only use SinKats in one segment at the most, that will sink their chances. A LOT.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

USA certainly, but not Japan. USA and Russia were neck to neck even without Kolyada's injury. What's really going to hurt Russia is s/K's injury. Nikita is not likely to skate both ice dances. Their men were always inconsistent.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
I’m not too worried about Kolyada’s injury. He has appeared really cautious about the crud (as he should with his history) so I’m sure this is a minor injury. I wouldn’t be surprised if there aren’t more injuries in the next few days.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
I’m not too worried about Kolyada’s injury. He has appeared really cautious about the crud (as he should with his history) so I’m sure this is a minor injury. I wouldn’t be surprised if there aren’t more injuries in the next few days.
Yes, I would expect there will be.

Marco

I hope this is just a minor injury but in any event there's been massive withdrawals from Europeans these few days and I wonder how many skaters named to the Olympics are strategically skipping Europeans due to YNW concerns (would IMO would be totally justified).

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

Not really certain where to put that and I'm sure one of our Russian speakers can confirm what was more literally said, but it seems Zhulin has something to say about 'freak' Timothy LeDuc making it to the Olympics.

And Queen Butyrskaya doesn't agree, although I'd wish for more of a positive response :(

Last edited:

pointbleu

Not really certain where to put that and I'm sure one of our Russian speakers can confirm what was more literally said, but it seems Zhulin has something to say about 'freak' Timothy LeDuc making it to the Olympics.

And Queen Butyrskaya doesn't agree, although I'd wish for more of a positive response :(
I guess Zhulin hasn’t got the difference between sex and gender… AFAIK, sporting events still go by sex…

Trillian

Butyrskaya’s response could have been worse, but I agree, I’m not impressed.

As far as Zhulin goes, we’re talking about someone who’s expected to be credentialed as a coach at the Olympics, so this absolutely warrants a response from both the ISU and the IOC. I don’t speak Russian, but I can’t believe there’s a translation that could make whatever he said acceptable.

Bigbird

Butyrskaya’s response could have been worse, but I agree, I’m not impressed.

As far as Zhulin goes, we’re talking about someone who’s expected to be credentialed as a coach at the Olympics, so this absolutely warrants a response from both the ISU and the IOC. I don’t speak Russian, but I can’t believe there’s a translation that could make whatever he said acceptable.
Don't we know who Zhulin is by now? One can disagree with many things and still use tact, correct? Especially in public? Might be best to ignore.

Peepsquick

I am not holding my breath when it comes to the Russian "Officials"' side but there are more enlightened people among the Russian figure skating fans. They have the power to change the "conservative" mentality and the discourse, It just takes time. If we are being honest, it is true for most of the world ...

Trillian

Don't we know who Zhulin is by now? One can disagree with many things and still use tact, correct? Especially in public? Might be best to ignore.

I’m not surprised Zhulin would say something like that. But no, I don’t think either the IOC or the ISU should “ignore” a prominent coach making discriminatory remarks about an athlete a couple of weeks before the Olympics start. Timothy and all other LGBTQ+ athletes (who may or may not be out) deserve to know that the governing bodies will support them.

becca

Nobody asked. A discussion about an Olympic coach’s discriminatory remarks actually doesn’t need to involve volunteering opinions about anyone else’s gender identity.
I was committing on Caseyedwards point. With whole men/women thing

CassAgain

While it would be nice to be a decent human being in response to questions like the one Zhulin answered, NOT SAYING ANYTHING is always an option. It's not that difficult. "I am so busy preparing my athletes, I have not followed American pairs this season."

Taso

While it would be nice to be a decent human being in response to questions like the one Zhulin answered, NOT SAYING ANYTHING is always an option. It's not that difficult. "I am so busy preparing my athletes, I have not followed American pairs this season."
Well certainly he didn't think of that, and as for the easy answer out....I'm not sure he has, you've seen Sinitsina & Katsalapov's FD right :shuffle:

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Based on the crap programs his athletes have that would be a lie. :rofl: However, he should spend more time focusing on that.

Trillian

I was committing on Caseyedwards point. With whole men/women thing

I see, I didn’t realize and that makes more sense in context. The ISU definitely needs to have some conversations w/r/t the way the gender binary is encoded/enforced, but I wouldn’t pick this particular thread to have that conversation. If the ISU wants to support their trans and non-binary athletes, some kind of formal response to Zhulin’s remarks would be the very least they could do.

mjb52

Someone needs to confiscate Zhulin's phone for the next few months (or forever). Aside from the comments being unenlightened and offensive in and of themselves, which I would guess they don't really care about, at a practical level, I don't know why the officials and coaches who make these kind of comments don't understand that ultimately they hurt their own active competing athletes and the reputation of Russian sport with this kind of stuff, at a time when Russian sport is trying to re-integrate itself successfully back into the world community.

muffinplus

Literally... his comment was "What do I think about this? I don't want to comment on these freaks".

Russian "yellow press" (aka sports.ru) is pathetic... like literally who gives a f*** about this and they decided they needed clickbait and called all the usual suspects.

Trankov gave a decent response as usual. Though, I literally don't know why. for once, any of them could have just not answered and said they are too busy? Like, really... Well, we know Zhulin is a moron. Though I guess that's exactly why they call these specific people... Leonova, Bestemianova etc... they clearly have nothing better to do.

Last edited:

mjb52

Ironically, Zhulin was so so so so close. If he had stopped at "I don't want to comment," it would have been a much better answer. It's so frustrating, because I loved him as a skater, and he is important to me as a coach. It is totally possible to be a colorful, interesting person without needlessly getting into scuffles like this. It's the same with Yagudin and the other little handful of people who are recurrently getting into these kind of things. I guess their reputation is sufficient in Russia that maybe they don't care, but the reality is that Russia needs to care about this stuff because international sport is international.

caseyedwards

Someone needs to confiscate Zhulin's phone for the next few months (or forever). Aside from the comments being unenlightened and offensive in and of themselves, which I would guess they don't really care about, at a practical level, I don't know why the officials and coaches who make these kind of comments don't understand that ultimately they hurt their own active competing athletes and the reputation of Russian sport with this kind of stuff, at a time when Russian sport is trying to re-integrate itself successfully back into the world community.
Ironically, Zhulin was so so so so close. If he had stopped at "I don't want to comment," it would have been a much better answer. It's so frustrating, because I loved him as a skater, and he is important to me as a coach. It is totally possible to be a colorful, interesting person without needlessly getting into scuffles like this. It's the same with Yagudin and the other little handful of people who are recurrently getting into these kind of things. I guess their reputation is sufficient in Russia that maybe they don't care, but the reality is that Russia needs to care about this stuff because international sport is international.
So skating is going to ban any social conservatives. To compete you must but this age, be a citizen and have these beliefs? “We don’t know if the skater is eligible because they haven’t endorsed leduc being non-binary”

Trillian

So skating is going to ban any social conservatives. To compete you must but this age, be a citizen and have these beliefs? “We don’t know if the skater is eligible because they haven’t endorsed leduc being non-binary”

The published position of the IOC is that all athletes have the right to participate in sports “safely and without prejudice” and “Measures should be put in place with a view to making sporting environments and facilities welcoming to people of all gender identities,” among other things.

IOC Framework on Fairness, Inclusion and Non-Discrimination etc.

Nobody is telling anyone what to believe or “endorse,” but it is the official position of the IOC that athletes should not be harassed or discriminated against on the basis of gender identity. So relax, nobody is trying to force anyone to be a decent human being. We’re just saying that somebody acting in an official capacity on behalf of an IOC/ISU member organization can be held responsible when they can’t manage to keep their bigoted beliefs to themselves.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Wanted to share this video of Kavaguti/Smirnov at Moskvina's birthday jubilee since we haven't seen them in a while: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aea1LmMGZN0

Yuko seems so joyful. After the skate she does a death spiral with Trankov, Moskvina comes onto the ice and Smirnov thanks her for everything. Moskvina explained Yuko's story and how she came all the way from Japan and became a bona fide Russian pairs skater. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information