2022 Nationals in Nashville

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
she's right though. USFS should be taking care of their athletes, and the planning has clearly been poor. i'm sure you won't be rolling your eyes when the US don't have a team to send to the Olympic because they're all denied entry.
Don't you worry about that. We have plenty of athletes who have the TES mins in each discipline. I'm sure we'll be able to field a C19-free team, regardless of how competitive that team may or may not be. But, I'm sure the Canucks in this thread are hoping for the worst possible outcome so that they have a shot at that team bronze after all. ;)

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Yes, Phil is just as bad as Christine. Sometimes even worse. They have been two peas in a pod since the Tonya & Nancy days.

Well, thank you for letting us know about your unbiased perspective on their work.

Judy

Well, some things happen for a reason. I originally booked a room at the Renaissance right after tickets were made available, but pulled out a few months ago after tracking cases, hospitalizations, deaths and vaccination rates. Here's what Christine Brennan just reported:

And Phil Hersh, who opted to watch remotely:

Is that the general public?

Miezekatze

When I was at Nebelhorn trophy, mask compliance was very good overall.

The only ones who weren't wearing masks were 1 or 2 audience members occasionally, the others were a few skaters who came to sit in our section temporarily.
Which they weren't supposed to be doing anyway, because that section was only supposed to be for spectators and not athletes to avoid mingling, but a few came there anyway because their family happened to sit there.

And I don't think they weren't wearing masks because they are bad people, but because they are young people and didn't think much of it.

So I don't think athletes need to be protected from fans or the general public, they probably take quite a lot of risks privately anyway. Looking at Instagram I don't see particularily much distancing from skaters, but the ones who are very careful will probably be extremely careful everywhere on their own.

And in Germany for example people always remove their mask in restaurants as soon as they sit down (might not be what makes the most sense, but is just what is established behavior), so I'm sure for example Germans would never even get the idea to keep the mask on when not eating in a breakfast room.

People who obsess about such things just shouldnt attend events during a wave, cause there's never going to be perfection.

Yuri

Well, thank you for letting us know about your unbiased perspective on their worAnyt

Well, thank you for letting us know about your unbiased perspective on their work.
Anytime. I would be happy to pontificate on the talent-less hack PHILIP Hersh, but honestly I thought they put him out to pasture years ago after the Chicago Tribune dumped his sorry butt. I didn't realize that PHILIP even remained relevant in figure skating.

Skibean

I thought Nationals was supposed to be about the athletes and not the fans? So you whine when you can’t attend, but post all over a message aboard what your personal Covid and mask beliefs are, and refuse to accommodate the requests to wear a mask for the safety of the athletes, and this somehow makes you right?

I don’t care what your beliefs and politics are. You are not competing at nationals and hoping for a shot at the Olympics. Alyssa is skating around with her mask on, yet you’re preaching your own politics and trying to act like your beliefs are correct. Get over yourselves!

Debbie S

I thought they put him out to pasture years ago after the Chicago Tribune dumped his sorry butt.
I'm not a Phil Hersh fan, but for the record, he wasn't "dumped", he took a buyout, which the Tribune Co (which also owns my city's main paper), along with other journalism orgs, has been doing since the 90s. It's usually a year's worth of salary, I think benefits during that time too, in exchange for resignation/retirement, offered to employees with a certain number of years of service. It's a way to reduce payroll by attrition rather than layoffs. Presumably Phil was thinking about retirement or doing other projects and thought the buyout was a good opportunity.

Lanie

the uberdom chooses YOU
Damn the plague! I started sneezing this morning. My first thought was that I can hunker down with Peacock for the day. My second thought was that I might have to call in sick for all my LTS classes, which truly sucks.
Fortunately, they are distributing test kits in my town today, so I can find out quickly.
Hope you feel better! I had it in January 2020 and felt terrible for a few days, gamut of fever up to 103 and fatigue. This is a chest cold (with my lungs, worse for me than my husband but I'm fine, I don't even need inhalers which I usually do with bronchitis and whatnot and DEFINITELY did with OG panini bug). My vaccine wore off probably summer 2021 so this is clearly heck of a lot milder. We were convinced it was just your average run of the mill cold.

I'm sorry people are getting screwed by the weather too. I had to cancel one year because Detroit was like nah let's have lots of snow and ice and you can't get in ahahahahaha

Judy

I'm not a Phil Hersh fan, but for the record, he wasn't "dumped", he took a buyout, which the Tribune Co (which also owns my city's main paper), along with other journalism orgs, has been doing since the 90s. It's usually a year's worth of salary, I think benefits during that time too, in exchange for resignation/retirement, offered to employees with a certain number of years of service. It's a way to reduce payroll by attrition rather than layoffs. Presumably Phil was thinking about retirement or doing other projects and thought the buyout was we a good opportunity.
Ummm yeah .. I should be getting this snow in MY city not there .. it[s gone missing here that’s for sure. Last time it snowed was a week before Christmas. Americans should stop stealing my snow.

acraven

For those who are already there, have you been able to bring bottles of water, food, etc. into the arena?
Empty water bottles are explicitly allowed. Food and beverages are forbidden, but many people have carried snacks into the arena. Bags are being X-rayed, so I think beverages would probably be noticed. Food is best carried into the arena in your pockets. The arena would have the right to confiscate food or drink found in your bag, and I have certainly seen that done at some earlier Nationals.

Gusmom

Banned Member
Precisely how is USFS going to provide skaters with a true bubble hotel? They don't own the Renaissance, official hotel or not. USFS certainly is renting out a few ballrooms within the Renaissance which they can control with all of their masking and other protocols for its credentialed skaters, coaches, officials, volunteers, and so forth.

The area in question is the Executive Lounge where guests with high point levels can generally pick up free meals like breakfast. At some of these clubs certain guests may be even get free lunch and dinner, perhaps even cocktails. What the HELL is a competitor doing in there anyway? People are acting like the Renaissance Executive Lounge, not even accessible to ordinary guests, is an area that is or even should be controlled by USFS. What next, does USFS shut down all the bars and restaurants in the hotel?

It's not as if all the guests are participants in US Nationals or necessarily even fans. Anyone in the general public can stay there.

The less I say about that fame whore Christine Brennan, the better. Posting photos on Twitter of legally mask-less folks eating and drinking in a lounge is beyond the pale even for her typical antics.
My husband travels for work and has access to the lounges — many of them are still closed across the country. So of course the one hosting potential olympians is not.

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
Someone in one of the threads mentioned they normally have access to the Marriott lounges and they do not have access at the Renaissance for this trip. I’m guessing that lounge is only open for credentialed people.

Gusmom

Banned Member
Agh. So watching practices & seeing the arena… this is going to be a rough few days even if I know it’s the right thing. 😔 Is there a live chat or Twitter thread somewhere for those of us who are supposed to be there? 😂 (half serious). I need to talk about skating & since I won’t have seat mates … luckily husband will be away so I can watch in peace but I’m 😢

toddlj

I have the weekend package and was planning to leave Thursday early AM... but now I'm running a slight fever and have a sore throat which has me concerned. One negative test so far, took another and waiting on the results. Will go if my test is negative and if my fever is gone tomorrow. 😓
Update... negative test and no fever today. Getting on a flight at 5AM tomorrow!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information