2022 Nationals in Nashville

sk9tingfan

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

tony

But some are playing games and this probably is echoed in other areas of the hotel.
Yeah, we all know. They went to a city where masks are not mandatory. We know that certain posters will argue all day about how it's all people who voted for Trump because Dem-run areas are 100% compliant. We know posters will argue about what it's like in cities they know nothing about. We know people in other countries will talk about how they follow rules inside and outside of an arena only to have a very poster on this board talk about how they were unmasked with a friend almost the majority of a recent event and no one said anything to them.

I live in a place that has been mask-optional for a long time. It is what it is. The skaters can stay masked and stay as distanced as they can, but it's still lame of Brennan to have this fake outrage over a majority of people eating in a room, in a city where they all knew damn well what they were signing up for. Anything for clicks. After this event she will amp it up to 100 about the Olympics not taking place.

sk9tingfan

Yeah, we all know. They went to a city where masks are not mandatory. We know that certain posters will argue all day about how it's all people who voted for Trump because Dem-run areas are 100% compliant. We know posters will argue about what it's like in cities they know nothing about. We know people in other countries will talk about how they follow rules inside and outside of an arena only to have a very poster on this board talk about how they were unmasked with a friend almost the majority of a recent event and no one said anything to them.

I live in a place that has been mask-optional for a long time. It is what it is. The skaters can stay masked and stay as distanced as they can, but it's still lame of Brennan to have this fake outrage over a majority of people eating in a room, in a city where they all knew damn well what they were signing up for.
Well time will tell.....

sk8nlizard

But some are playing games and this probably is echoed in other areas of the hotel.
I will say, I’m staying in the Renaissance as well (but do not have access to the club lounge) and most of the people I’ve seen in the lobby are masked. Are there some unmasked…yes but The majority are masked, including the people working at the hotel. And the vast majority of people at the hotel are there for skating and they all seem to be masked. I also haven’t noticed people approaching skaters and are giving them space. I saw Karen Chen in the parking garage and she and her mom had on their KN95 masks the whole time, even outdoors. I don’t think anyone here, whether they agree with masks or not, wants these skaters to catch Covid right before the Olympics (or anytime). I could take a picture to make it look like anything I wanted it to look like. But, what I’ve seen at both the hotel and the arena is that people are taking it seriously.

vesperholly

Well, some things happen for a reason. I originally booked a room at the Renaissance right after tickets were made available, but pulled out a few months ago after tracking cases, hospitalizations, deaths and vaccination rates. Here's what Christine Brennan just reported:

And Phil Hersh, who opted to watch remotely:

Phil's stance is much more sane than Christine publishing pictures of legally unmasked strangers on her Twitter and attempting to shame everyone like a raving lunatic.

I liked the comment "You didn’t have to be in there, Christine" and she instantly blocked me. Ooookay.

rudi

I don't know where the Hilton is, but Whole Foods is about seven blocks west of Bridgeston Arena, in the 1200 block of Broadway.
Thank you! I'll have my car so will definitely hit Whole Foods before, or right after, checking in.

For those who are already there, have you been able to bring bottles of water, food, etc. into the arena?

tony

she's right though. USFS should be taking care of their athletes, and the planning has clearly been poor. i'm sure you won't be rolling your eyes when the US don't have a team to send to the Olympic because they're all denied entry.
The USFS cannot babysit their athletes 24 hours a day. If the athletes want to sit in their rooms and order food or have someone on their team bring it up to them, they can always do that.

I will continue to roll my eyes are her dramatic narratives and half-truths of stories because she doesn't have breaking news these days. She went and stood in a room of people eating.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Phil's stance is much more sane than Christine publishing pictures of legally unmasked strangers on her Twitter and attempting to shame everyone like a raving lunatic.

"legal" is not the same thing as "ethical" or "appropriate" or "sensible".

Given the rise in case rates that Hersh reported in his Tweet, IMO it makes a lot of sense to wear a mask whether it's required or not. And if people are thinking, well, it's just a quick trip to the breakfast bar....all it takes is one person in that room being a carrier for the v*r*s to expose everyone in that room to it.

Last edited:

litenkyckling

The USFS cannot babysit their athletes 24 hours a day. If the athletes want to sit in their rooms and order food or have someone on their team bring it up to them, they can always do that.

I will continue to roll my eyes are her dramatic narratives and half-truths of stories because she doesn't have breaking news these days.
nothing to do with "babysitting" - they should have provided their athletes with a true bubble hotel. It's not babysitting - it's duty of care and if they expect athletes to represent them on the global scene then said athletes deserve to be treated with care and respect.

tony

nothing to do with "babysitting" - they should have provided their athletes with a true bubble hotel. It's not babysitting - it's duty of care and if they expect athletes to represent them on the global scene then said athletes deserve to be treated with care and respect.
They can stay bubbled in their rooms and only get from A to B just as they did every day getting to the rink, going to the airport, etc. What's going to happen in a true bubble? They are going to sit in their rooms.

But there is constant outrage, one thing after another, in these threads and there has been for 22 months. Most skaters at Nationals have zero chance of making an Olympic team or even getting team funding. They are here because they want to skate and they are doing their best to stay safe. Fans are coming and analyzing what everyone else is doing around them, including while sitting in the stands. I really cannot wait until a photo of a well-known FSUer gets shared to Twitter by the police with the caption that they had a mask off for X minutes because they were snacking. We all know a few pages ago how big of a deal the food options were.
Sorry for being somewhat sacrilegious, but I tweeted to Marriott that since they provided bibles in every room, did they think that those would protect individuals from contracting *********.
:rolleyes:

vesperholly

"legal" is not the same thing as "ethical" or "appropriate".

Given the rise in case rates that Hersh reported in his Tweet, IMO it makes a lot of sense to wear a mask whether it's required or not. And if people are thinking, well, it's just a quick trip to the breakfast bar....all it takes is for one person in that room being a carrier for the v*r*s to expose everyone in that room to it.
The thing is, people are autonomous beings who get to decide for themselves what is ethical or appropriate. Your risk tolerance is not the same as mine or any of the people in that hotel - or even Christine Brennan's, given that she was in that stupid room with all the rest of them.

It's pretty clear that skaters are going to get the big C from anywhere and everywhere, judging by the amount of withdrawals even prior to this event, not just at Nationals.

litenkyckling

They can stay bubbled in their rooms and only get from A to B just as they did every day getting to the rink, going to the airport, etc. What's going to happen in a true bubble? They are going to sit in their rooms.

But there is constant outrage, one thing after another, in these threads and there has been for 22 months. Most skaters at Nationals have zero chance of making an Olympic team or even getting team funding. They are here because they want to skate and they are doing their best to stay safe. Fans are coming and analyzing what everyone else is doing around them, including while sitting in the stands. I really cannot wait until a photo of a well-known FSUer gets shared to Twitter by the police with the caption that they had a mask off for X minutes because they were snacking. We all know a few pages ago how big of a deal the food options were.

:rolleyes:
Some of you aren't outraged enough. Claim to be huge fans of the sport, yet you don't think that the governing body should be putting athlete safety first? They managed a bubble last year in Vegas, in fact, many events have had an effective bubble.

Just because an athlete has "zero chance at the Olympics" doesn't mean that their safety doesn't matter as much as likely Olympians.

Criticising governing bodies is actually a good thing. You mention a lot about "twitter police", yet you're very comforable policing people for questioning bad safetly protocols. You don't need to protect USFS, just fyi.

tony

Some of you aren't outraged enough. Claim to be huge fans of the sport, yet you don't think that the governing body should be putting athlete safety first? They managed a bubble last year in Vegas, in fact, many events have had an effective bubble.

Just because an athlete has "zero chance at the Olympics" doesn't mean that their safety doesn't matter as much as likely Olympians.

Criticising governing bodies is actually a good thing. You mention a lot about "twitter police", yet you're very comforable policing people for questioning bad safetly protocols. You don't need to protect USFS, just fyi.
Just FYI, you're making a lot of assumptions. The skaters can sit in their rooms all day besides when going to the rink if they want to. That is what any other bubble would've done. Except the fact of getting from A to B. And except the fact that these skaters haven't been posted up in their houses for 22 months, relying on work-from-home or retirement or being fearful of stepping outside and getting CV. It is the responsibility of each individual to gauge their own safety and the risks they will take without everyone else talking about what is ethical or moral. If the skaters were that worried, they wouldn't have been preparing for any further events in the first place and/or they would've withdrawn. I feel like we are flashing back to a year ago when the 'I know everything!' types were insisting skaters didn't want to go to Worlds, until the skaters themselves from all over the globe started refuting those claims. They trained through everything pre-vaccines. They wanted to go to Worlds.

I have a lot to criticize with the USFS, another FYI. But Brennan posting a snapshot of a place where people are eating is still moronic.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The thing is, people are autonomous beings who get to decide for themselves what is ethical or appropriate. Your risk tolerance is not the same as mine or any of the people in that hotel - or even Christine Brennan's, given that she was in that stupid room with all the rest of them.

People don't exist in a vacuum. Your choice to wear or not wear a mask potentially affects the well-being of every other person you come in contact with, including people breathing the same air in the same room.

tony

People don't exist in a vacuum. Your choice to wear or not wear a mask potentially affects the well-being of every other person you come in contact with, including people breathing the same air in the same room.
Yeah, I know. Heaven forbid there are any FSU breakfast or dinner or drink meet-ups this week. But oh yeah, wouldn't that be those people assessing their own risks? Wouldn't anyone going anywhere to eat in the last 22 months or however long things have been opened been more of the same? How unethical!

Yuri

Precisely how is USFS going to provide skaters with a true bubble hotel? They don't own the Renaissance, official hotel or not. USFS certainly is renting out a few ballrooms within the Renaissance which they can control with all of their masking and other protocols for its credentialed skaters, coaches, officials, volunteers, and so forth.

The area in question is the Executive Lounge where guests with high point levels can generally pick up free meals like breakfast. At some of these clubs certain guests may be even get free lunch and dinner, perhaps even cocktails. What the HELL is a competitor doing in there anyway? People are acting like the Renaissance Executive Lounge, not even accessible to ordinary guests, is an area that is or even should be controlled by USFS. What next, does USFS shut down all the bars and restaurants in the hotel?

It's not as if all the guests are participants in US Nationals or necessarily even fans. Anyone in the general public can stay there.

The less I say about that fame whore Christine Brennan, the better. Posting photos on Twitter of legally mask-less folks eating and drinking in a lounge is beyond the pale even for her typical antics.

tony

The past 22 months have not been a constant not is one place identical to another.
Well no shit. :lol: The minute you don't have a mask on in a public area, then you are taking some sort of risk. That hasn't changed. Either you assume the risk that not everyone thinks exactly as you do every time you step outside, or you don't.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
The less I say about that fame whore Christine Brennan, the better. Posting photos on Twitter of legally mask-less folks eating and drinking in a lounge is beyond the pale even for her typical antics.

Phil Hersh agreed with her. Is he a fame whore too?

D

Deleted member 221

"legal" is not the same thing as "ethical" or "appropriate" or "sensible".

Yes, vaccine mandates and mask mandates are not ethical, appropriate, or sensible. Glad you agree. :saint:

Given the rise in case rates that Hersh reported in his Tweet, IMO it makes a lot of sense to wear a mask whether it's required or not. And if people are thinking, well, it's just a quick trip to the breakfast bar....all it takes is one person in that room being a carrier for the v*r*s to expose everyone in that room to it.

People have free choice (at least in places that aren't ruled by "liberals") and can make their own decisions based on the data and their personal risk tolerance.

Some of you aren't outraged enough. Claim to be huge fans of the sport, yet you don't think that the governing body should be putting athlete safety first?

So let's require athletes to wear helmets. They're more likely to die from a freak fall than from C19. And while we're at it, let's dress them in knee pads, elbow pads, space suits, whatever, so that the medical volunteers don't get overwhelmed by the number of potential falls. I have a model that shows we could have 37,842 freak falls at Nationals (Laetitia Hubert is making a comeback) that could overwhelm the medical volunteers and Nashville hospitals. Oops, I guess we better be safe and ban skates because they're so dangerous. People can walk on the ice. Except it's slippery so we can put down a carpet. There we go - carpet walking on ice. We can send the first three to walk from one side of the arena to the other to Beijing. SAFETY FIRST!

Your choice to mandate masks or "preventative" measures potentially affects every other person, too.

And, yes, Phil Hersh is a fame whore, too.

tony

Phil Hersh agreed with her. Is he a fame whore too?
Everyone knows they are both trying to stir the pot as much as possible, so yes he's a fame whore. I have to say, though, I've gotten into spats with Hersh enough times and we always have a logical discussion. Brennan reports at angles that she knows are not full-truths. But what do I know as some random poster on the internet or whatever you called me?

Second of all, his literal reply to his own post was 'everyone's comfort level is different'. Something that repeatedly goes over the heads of people on FSU.

These replies are also really rich coming from the very poster who flat-out stated they have no problems with someone being rewarded for absolute unethical behavior because others have gotten the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information