2021/2022 Canadian Pairs: News and Updates

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Dang. If their recovery is anything like what we've seen from other skaters (Ashley Cain-Gribble most recently), then I can't imaging them being competition ready in 4 weeks for the Olympics.
This is completely different than Ashley, though. It says in the further info that they've been 10+ days without symptoms and just stayed off the ice, I'm guessing due to whatever protocol was in place. It couldn't have been anything too severe. What I don't get is how it says they haven't tested negative yet ('have yet to both post negative tests' are the words used) but they are back on the ice-- exceptions being made, I guess.

danafan

Canadian ladies über
James seems hopeful about being named to the Olympic team.

James: “I don't think that there's a bye to Olympics, but I do think that Skate Canada has put in place a protocol or a way to determine a way for who's best to represent Canada based on scores from the season and we hope that Eric and I have done enough for that.”

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
This is completely different than Ashley, though. It says in the further info that they've been 10+ days without symptoms and just stayed off the ice, I'm guessing due to whatever protocol was in place. It couldn't have been anything too severe. What I don't get is how it says they haven't tested negative yet but they are back on the ice-- exceptions being made, I guess.
Ashley hasn't ever said how severe hers was either, though. All we know is that she now has asthma as a result of the C19, and their first competition was 5 weeks after she was diagnosed, and she looked really rough.

I guess we'll see but I wouldn't expect them to be in top shape. Additionally, will they be able to clear a PCR test to get into Beijing?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
James seems hopeful about being named to the Olympic team.

Earlier in the season, some of her comments had me :confused: about what their expectations were, but I have to agree here unless two teams (one of which has to be MT/M and disregarding SD/D because they can't go) are on fire during Nationals, then one spot should be theirs. I think the odds are the competition ends up super sloppy as it is, but I like surprises.

Mayra

This is completely different than Ashley, though. It says in the further info that they've been 10+ days without symptoms and just stayed off the ice, I'm guessing due to whatever protocol was in place. It couldn't have been anything too severe. What I don't get is how it says they haven't tested negative yet ('have yet to both post negative tests' are the words used) but they are back on the ice-- exceptions being made, I guess.

:watch:

Interesting that Skate Canada with all their protocols isn’t requiring negative tests.

Lara

Bonjour/Hi to everyone at Worlds!
PCR tests are just too difficult to come by and are being prioritized for those at risk. Which clearly does introduce an additional risk factor at these Nats… :(

ETA - what about rapid tests? Not easy to find either but at least not restricted to the same extent as PCR tests currently are.

Last edited:

firefly

@angi I don't know where you are from, so guidelines may differ, but in Québec and Ontario you are not required to show a negative test to "re-enter" society after your isolation period (10 days from the time you show symptoms). They would not be eligible for a publicly funded PCR test to show they are negative either, unless there is an exception for high-level athletes that I don't know about.

mackiecat

@angi I don't know where you are from, so guidelines may differ, but in Québec and Ontario you are not required to show a negative test to "re-enter" society after your isolation period (10 days from the time you show symptoms). They would not be eligible for a publicly funded PCR test to show they are negative either, unless there is an exception for high-level athletes that I don't know about.
Yes and Ontario is 5 days from positive test with no symptoms and fully vaccinated ( which they would be)

Ontario is now restricting PCR tests to high risk individuals with symptoms only.

yeslek

PCR can show positive for 90 days. Usually it is a negative test or at least 10 days and recovered/not symptomatic.

fsfann

Can someone remind me if Stellato/Deschamps could qualify for Olympics or are they ineligible?

It'll be interesting to see the Free tomorrow....

screech

Interesting decision making time for Skate Canada. MTM are safe for the Olympic team. You'd think that W/M would have done enough here to make the team, however J/R have been the highest scoring team all season, and I'm sure they've petitioned for that second spot.

angi

Interesting decision making time for Skate Canada. MTM are safe for the Olympic team. You'd think that W/M would have done enough here to make the team, however J/R have been the highest scoring team all season, and I'm sure they've petitioned for that second spot.
It was redemption for both teams and very emotional for everyone involved which made for a great watch.
J/R opting out of the FS and performing poorly in the SP when two other teams in the event were in the exact same position yet still competed and overall delivered is telling to me, their scoring potential isn't that great as we've seen this season even when clean and W/M seem to be getting it together.

Karen-W

MTM have similar scoring potential to J/R when they skate clean. There isn't some dire need to have J/R on the Olympic team when MTM are perfectly fine for the TE - better if they skate in Beijing like they did in Ottawa.

Skate Talker

....J/R opting out of the FS and performing poorly in the SP when two other teams in the event were in the exact same position yet still competed and overall delivered is telling to me,.....
I'm not saying you are wrong about the rest of your post but would like to add my two cents to this part of your statement.

Firstly, this illness hits everybody differently so afaik there is no "exact same position" about it. Secondly, one of those teams has a considerable advantage in the youth department where statistically the effect are most often less severe, though again, I acknowledge it can hit everyone differently. Eric is known to have back issues so it might not take much to have them decide it's too risky to do lifts and throws safely. I don't know if this factored into their decision or not or if it did, how much. It may have exactly zero to do with their recent positive results and lack of practice. Equally it may have nothing to do with wanting to be in a stronger position to be considered for the Olympics by not going head to head with the other teams.

Personally, I just can't see everything as so black and white when we have been living in shades of grey for so long.

Sorry for the ramble - I don't mean to be picking on you or anyone else here for their views but I would like to add another avenue of thought. These athletes work very hard and they have my respect for trying to keep their minds and bodies focused on their goals.

angi

I'm not saying you are wrong about the rest of your post but would like to add my two cents to this part of your statement.

Firstly, this illness hits everybody differently so afaik there is no "exact same position" about it. Secondly, one of those teams has a considerable advantage in the youth department where statistically the effect are most often less severe, though again, I acknowledge it can hit everyone differently. Eric is known to have back issues so it might not take much to have them decide it's too risky to do lifts and throws safely. I don't know if this factored into their decision or not or if it did, how much. It may have exactly zero to do with their recent positive results and lack of practice. Equally it may have nothing to do with wanting to be in a stronger position to be considered for the Olympics by not going head to head with the other teams.

Personally, I just can't see everything as so black and white when we have been living in shades of grey for so long.

Sorry for the ramble - I don't mean to be picking on you or anyone else here for their views but I would like to add another avenue of thought. These athletes work very hard and they have my respect for trying to keep their minds and bodies focused on their goals.
Don't get me wrong, I agree with their decision to withdraw, pairs skating is dangerous enough when skaters are in optimal shape so to attempt it when you are not is a huge risk. Their safety comes first. However, it does make me question how ready they are going to be in less than a month when they are in this shape now and haven't exactly been killing it this season, to say the least. That's why I don't think they should get the spot.

Vase

MTM have similar scoring potential to J/R when they skate clean. There isn't some dire need to have J/R on the Olympic team when MTM are perfectly fine for the TE - better if they skate in Beijing like they did in Ottawa.
I think MTM would rather compete at the Olympics against WM they know they’ll beat them. WM don’t have the tech. Score level of JR and definitely no consistency. I wasn’t a JR fan, but they were the Canadas team to step it up showing improvements, big improvements even with errors they put up some top Canada scores this season.

Last edited:

Karen-W

I think MTM would rather compete at the Olympics against TE, they know they’ll beat them. TE don’t have the tech. Score level of JR and definitely no consistency. I wasn’t a JR fan, but they were the Canadas team to step it up showing improvements, big improvements even with errors they put up some top Canada scores this season.
TE = Team Event. I had to think for awhile about who you meant by TE but I was referring to the TE not another team.

manhn

I think MTM would rather compete at the Olympics against WM they know they’ll beat them. WM don’t have the tech. Score level of JR and definitely no consistency. I wasn’t a JR fan, but they were the Canadas team to step it up showing improvements, big improvements even with errors they put up some top Canada scores this season.

I would think the team event is the main thing for Skate Canada. The singles can do both programs, the pairs can split. Not sure whether Piper and Paul want to do both.

Vase

I would think the team event is the main thing for Skate Canada. The singles can do both programs, the pairs can split. Not sure whether Piper and Paul want to do both.
Then if it’s for the team event I’d say J/R would be the pick, but good luck to all involved and can’t wait to see who’s chosen.

litenkyckling

If I were Skate Canada I'd split the men and the dance - because splitting the men will probably get the same result as splitting pairs, regardless of who goes. They likely won't medal anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information