Discussing Tuberidze's latest interview

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
They are the most junior looking and the least polished of any of the Russian senior dancers.

In both programs they stayed mostly in the center of the Ice. There patterns were shallow and small. All the teams that placed below them showed better ice coverage and more speed.
Well, now we all know, with 100% certainty, that you haven't watched ALL of the RDs from Russian Nats. I can assure you, they were NOT the worst or least polished, by a long stretch. Ermakova/Panteleev were miles away the winners of that dubious honor - like 1990s-era US ice dance outside of the top 2-3.

layman

Davis and Smolkin are like a cake that takes an hour to bake, that was put in the oven for 3 minutes and then taken out and served runny and gooey. Are we supposed to pretend that this cake is done?

I think not. They need to go back to the Junior ranks and "bake" for two to three more seasons. Then, perhaps, they might really be ready for the big leagues.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Davis and Smolkin are like a cake that takes an hour to bake, that was put in the oven for 3 minutes and then taken out and served runny and gooey. Are we supposed to pretend that this cake is done?

I think not. They need to go back to the Junior ranks and "bake" for two to three more seasons. Then, perhaps, they might really be ready for the big leagues.
This is what happens when one already has an opinion formulated, and in this case, one that is because of nothing said team actually did. Seeing how the competition ended with 13 teams and one of which struggled through their entire free dance to finish 9th in that portion.... Also, they were 5th at Junior Worlds in 2020. Not last season. There was not much of a junior season last year for anyone.

I will agree that Davis/Smolkin are not the fastest team and they don't cover the most ice. However, they are both technically sound skaters. They completed their elements with a crispness and their flow was smooth. They both have decent, stable edges throughout the dance (this part seems to be overlooked). They skate closer together than many of the teams right behind them. Their lines are pretty well-matched throughout.

You've tried your hardest to make a case, but who do you think really got screwed over? Zagorski/Guerriero were not an option from the start, and I still don't know who everyone thinks really deserved (a clear) 2nd here to spend so much time analyzing things that aren't really there. 'Anyone but Eteri's daughter...' probably.

I've watched a lot of skating over the last 30 years and I've gone back and watched endless archives starting in the 70's, and D/S really didn't look out of place at all nor will they in an Olympic field. Do they look like Olympic medalists right now? No! But again, all this whining for a team that is probably going to finish 11th or 12th at the Olympics....

Last edited:

BittyBug

Disgusted
A translated interview posted by Figure Skating Gossips:

OMG.
It’s advisable to weigh yourself every day, because it’s much easier to solve the problem at the initial stages than when it is already 2-3 kilograms and you really need to lose weight, when it’s 200-300 grams, it’s not that serious.
No, no, no and nyet! This is exactly how people develop the obsession that leads to an ED.

Is it really no way without strictness?

Eteri Tutberidze:
Yes, not strictness, but correctness. Correctness of the parent including.
She really should have become a dominatrix instead of a coach.

(And for no particular reason, this reminds me of a billboard I saw in London when Thatcher was in power. It had head shots of Queen Victoria, Queen Elizabeth and Thatcher, and said, "Dominance. Discipline. Correction." :rofl: )

angi

The hypocrisy of her saying:
"I have such thing: the best parent is the one I don’t know."
when she's been following her daughter around, working closely with Igor, and even doing both of D/S makeup during Russian nationals is really something else.
The part about gaining 200 grams is also so ignorant that I don't even know what to say, I don't think it's even physically possible to weigh exactly the same day after day or that the difference between each day won't even be over 200 grams. Somewhere nutritionists and dietitians are screaming into the void.

canbelto

FWIW I have heard of the Russian idea of "perfect weight." Perfect weight is supposed to be your height in cm - 127 in kg.
So suppose a skater is 160 cm, her "perfect weight" would be 33 kg, which would be 73 pounds!!!

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
FWIW I have heard of the Russian idea of "perfect weight." Perfect weight is supposed to be your height in cm - 127 in kg.
So suppose a skater is 160 cm, her "perfect weight" would be 33 kg, which would be 73 pounds!!!
That can't possibly be correct!?

canbelto

That can't possibly be correct!?

No it is. It's the standard ballet schools and figure skating coaches use.

Here is a chart the Vaganova Academy uses:

Students who cannot make the weight are expelled.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
No it is. It's the standard ballet schools and figure skating coaches use.

Here is a chart the Vaganova Academy uses:

Students who cannot make the weight are expelled.
Okay but it's not quite as extreme as height in cm - 127 cm because it says:
"The ideal weight for a 155cm (5ft) tall girl is 37kg (81.5lb)"
which is still very very thin but not as severe as 155-127= 28 kg.

muffinplus

when she's been following her daughter around, working closely with Igor, and even doing both of D/S makeup during Russian nationals is really something else.
The part about gaining 200 grams is also so ignorant that I don't even know what to say, I don't think it's even physically possible to weigh exactly the same day after day or that the difference between each day won't even be over 200 grams. Somewhere nutritionists and dietitians are screaming into the void.
What hypocrisy.. she is not coaching her daughter full time.?

I don't think she said you need if you suddenly weigh 200 grams more it's a cause for concern but guess I didn't watch the same interview?

canbelto

Okay but it's not quite as extreme as height in cm - 127 cm because it says:
"The ideal weight for a 155cm (5ft) tall girl is 37kg (81.5lb)"
which is still very very thin but not as severe as 155-127= 28 kg.

Vaganova Academy apparently is not as extreme as some other ballet schools with regards to weight. Perm Ballet school is nuts:

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
What hypocrisy.. she is not coaching her daughter full time.?

I don't think she said you need if you suddenly weigh 200 grams more it's a cause for concern but guess I didn't watch the same interview?
Well neither was the mother who sat with her daughter in the lobby who skipped warm up because her legs get too tired ;)

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
As for what Eteri says my guess is she is saying the skaters are weighed daily and she only allows for a weight fluctuation of 200-300 grams. Anything outside that and I guess the girls have to "stop drinking water" immediately ;)

becca

In fairness though she is a coach herself and a former ice dancer. It’s not the same as a parent who doesn’t know much about skating.

I actually don’t think a parent should be messing with warm ups. She isn’t wrong there

angi

In fairness though she is a coach herself and a former ice dancer. It’s not the same as a parent who doesn’t know much about skating.

I actually don’t think a parent should be messing with warm ups. She isn’t wrong there
I wasn't referring to the warm-up story but to her story about forbidding Zagitova's mother from living in Moscow and the general notion of having no connection to the parents of her students. She is coaching minors and is responsible for their physical and mental well-being, her attitude is messed up and completely hypocritcal considering the level of her closeness and involvement in her own child's life and career.

becca

I wasn't referring to the warm-up story but to her story about forbidding Zagitova's mother from living in Moscow and the general notion of having no connection to the parents of her students. She is coaching minors and is responsible for their physical and mental well-being, her attitude is messed up and completely hypocritcal considering the level of her closeness and involvement in her own child's life and career.
I don’t agree with forbidding Zagitovas mother.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Its not only figure skating, In Russian Rythmic Gymnastics, gymnasts are forbidden to drink water after certain training as it gains you extra weight
"water weight"

Mayra

As for what Eteri says my guess is she is saying the skaters are weighed daily and she only allows for a weight fluctuation of 200-300 grams. Anything outside that and I guess the girls have to "stop drinking water" immediately ;)
My 8th grade US History teacher didn't let me have water in class either. Pretty sure she was meaner. The extra water prevented me form memorizing the 50 state capitals you see. It happens everywhere. Nothing to see here. :scream:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
My 8th grade US History teacher didn't let me have water in class either. Pretty sure she was meaner. The extra water prevented me form memorizing the 50 state capitals you see. It happens everywhere. Nothing to see here. :scream:
Pffffft... you mother clearly wasn't doing her job when you were in elementary school then if you didn't have the 50 states and their capitals memorized before fifth grade! /I might be a geography and history nerd, descended from two history/geography nerds, lol.

flyingsit

I’m just under 5’7” and about 118. I’m thin but not unhealthy looking, and typically wear a size 2.

VGThuy

The no water thing seems to be a holdover from old country Soviet ideas of nutrition. You heard a lot about it in gymnastics back in the day with people wondering why Russian and Romanian coaches (and those in the US who fled those regimes) were so anti-water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information