Discussing Tuberidze's latest interview

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
It did work out that way Mirai had the better career as a Senior just not as good as she could have had with the amount of talent she had.

Thank you - I thought I was on acid reading that when... that's exactly what happened. Caroline never was able to overcome her skating issues, though she didn't disappear as soon as she grew.

Mirai was able to land a 3A late in her career, which I don't think would have been possible without decent technique early on. She certainly fought URs for a long time, however.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It did work out that way Mirai had the better career as a Senior just not as good as she could have had with the amount of talent she had.
I guess I wasn't clear as to my point. It was that Mirai struggled more than Caro to adjust to her post-puberty body. I wasn't judging their entire careers because it's true that Mirai was able to have a better overall career in the end but she ran hot and cold while Caro was steadier.

layman

Finally Russian commentators have the courage to tell the truth about Eteri (so that us "foreigners" don't have to do all the work):

screech

No one can tell by looking at someone if they have an eating disorder, or if they do not have normal menses, of if they have bone thinning or other health issues.
I 100% agree with your comment.

I've said in other threads before, but this statement applied to me when I was a teenager at my figure skating peak. When I quit skating at 18 years old, I was about 5'4" and weighed 94 lbs. I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted - Tim Hortons donuts and cappuccinos for breakfast before early morning practice, McDonalds or pizza after school but before practice started, big meat-filled dinners at home, evening snacks with Coke to drink...

I also ate big lunches at school, which is where the issue came in. I would eat a big lunch, then go to the washroom to wash my hands before class. Well apparently all people saw was a skinny girl who ate a lot then went to the washroom, and assumed that of course I couldn't naturally be skinny like that, I must be bulimic. The school guidance counsellor got involved and started pulling my friends into her office to ask them about my eating habits and health.

The accusations made me incredibly self-conscious. I couldn't help being skinny, and I wasn't doing anything to make myself skinnier, but my peers and teachers were judging me for my body. Some people are just built differently, and assuming someone has an eating disorder just by looking at them is extremely harmful.

All that said, I do not condone micro-management of athletes eating, or public weigh-ins (luckily, though my coach and I had our differences, she never focused on my eating, and any weighing I did was on my own at home, and only a few times a year.)

Last edited:

Scott512

Diana and gleb are good up and coming dance team. They have taken advantage of some injuries and sickness in Russian dance this season and they've been more impressive than they were as a junior. Scores high? Yes. But Lizas scores have been high this year with PCS off the charts that no one understands. That's figures gating.

If the number one Russian dance team is healthy for the team event do they get both skates? I think that's possible unless there's some kind of guarantee that is the Diana and gleb get one of the skates.

I was surprised that Eteri did a big interview at this time of year heading into Russian nationals Europeans and the Olympics. It made no sense to me unless she was trying to create some dialog to take is some dialog to take some of the heat and pressure off her daughter and her partner. That may be the strategy behind it to get them to talk about the coach and not her daughter.

EG couldn't give 2 you know what people think of her. If her daughter can get on the Olympic team that would be the thrill of a lifetime for this woman and even greater thrill than having an Olympic champion as a pupil.

But I find it hard to believe that D and G will get in the Olympic team competition. One bad skatee from them and the team gold medal could be gone. I would think there are still at least 2 Russian teams better than them. Maybe we will figure things out after Europeans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information