2021/2022 Canadian Pairs: News and Updates

Vase

Trennt and Evelyn struggled in the short, I hope the Russia assignment shows some good Canadian Pair skating. I guess This makes Eric and Vanessa the team to beat and makes you wonder who will be teamed up next season.

karmena

It was so heartbreaking to watch Evelyn struggling ... and heart warming to see how caring, understanding and supporting is Trennt. It really requires a great personality not to pass even a slightest judgment or disappointment on your skating partner for the his/her mistakes. I give them 10 in that department,- they seem to be great human beings.

Colonel Green

Brooke & Ben looked solid on the elements in the shot program at Challenge. Not bad at all for a first outing.

They really need a more inspired choreographer, though.

Vase

I was happy to see the pairs event, some pretty good scores for teams that haven’t really had a chance to be competing together all season. Lots of growth all around for the younger teams. Summer H. And Marty, she came straight from star skate this season and doing well with beginning pair beginning pair elements and a level 3 twist good for them.

Catherine M

I was really impressed with Brooke and Ben's skate. Hopefully she's done growing.

Another person I thought looked good was Patricia Andrew. Nice to see her still skating.

Does anyone know the status of her former partner, Zach Daleman? Has he quit/retired?

Vase

It’s being said Zac isn’t skating anymore, though no official confirmation that I’ve saw.

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Brooke & Ben looked solid on the elements in the shot program at Challenge. Not bad at all for a first outing.
I was really impressed with Brooke and Ben's skate.
Copying over what I posted yesterday in the Challenge thread in Kiss & Cry:

McIntosh/Mimar's new Junior SP to "Happy Ending" by MIKA starts here in the replay video: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x860vvi?start=1080

I MUCH prefer this song/music to the country duet cover of "Billie Jean" that they skated at the NextGen Camp simulation back in the summer.

angi

The streak of underwhelming performances by the Canadian teams continues unfortunately at Golden Spin.
J/R with a very shaky SP with an aborted twist and many lost levels (which has been an issue all season) are currently 9th, W/M with a solid performance with an UR sbs jumps that was costly (but the best levels of all three Canadian teams) in 8th, and MT/M with a relatively clean SP but most elements still looked shaky so underwhelmng GOE are in 6th.
I have to say that things aren't looking great for the team event, it seems like both Eric's and Michael's backs are holding on by a thread at this point, and it's especially visible during the lifts and twist.

Vase

I guess Deanna isn’t eligible, but I kinda wish they’d of sent others out more to give them experience. I’m sure we’ll be seeing most skaters in these 3 teams retire or not together next season.

mackiecat

I guess Deanna isn’t eligible, but I kinda wish they’d of sent others out more to give them experience. I’m sure we’ll be seeing most skaters in these 3 teams retire or not together next season.
The next best team is skating Junior she had a major injury this year and will be at Jr World. They should make the jump to Sr next year. Not sure if any other Jr teams have triples

Vase

Kelly ann and Luca, (sorry not sure how to spell his name off hand) have triples.
I just feel they are putting everything into ‘popular skaters’ but like Maddie senior ladies, she has been able to blossom, though was never in the sights before her senior years.
Given the state of pairs this season I don’t see harm in giving skaters opportunity, even young ones.
Waiting and hoping for one junior pair team is not gonna help Canada pair situation at the moment or in the near future.
But maybe I’m just hoping to enjoy pairs again, instead of seeing no changes internationally. Mostly the same skaters, same elements and some tough competitions.
Ill wait to see who they send to 4CC and even Worlds and then may switch to be an ice dance fan.

Sylvia

TBD
Has there been any update on Purich/Chudak since she was injured?
Purich shared a clip of herself doing a strength/conditioning exercise back on Nov. 5 via her Instagram (currently set to private):
Because this rehab has honestly been the hardest thing I've ever gone through! Thanks @isabelaldrichw for believing in me and training me through this Achilles rehab.💕

angi

So after the FS we can say that mostly clean J/R score in the low 130 (to be fair their elements are just not great, and when you factor in their lack of speed, transitions, and overall shaky lifts the 130 seems even too high), W/M had two major errors but the rest was more solid compared to the rest of the season (but their lack of consistency hurt their scoring) and that KMT looks like she's completely checked out of this season (the skater who barely missed a throw or a jump now barely lands any) and struggling to continue. Depressing as hell honestly.

Last edited:

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
It is truly time to send Andrew/Adcock and McIntosh/Mimar out to get the senior minimums. I cannot watch W/M or MTM anymore. If Nationals is judged fairly, they could be fighting for 5th place. But I don't expect it.
Unfortunately, they won't be able to get them in time for 4CCs, so that team will be Deanna/Maxime, Matte/Ferland and whichever of the 3 at Golden Spin don't get an Olympic spot.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
No Karen, I actually mean get the mins for the OLYMPICS. And Worlds! And only because S/D are not Oly eligible, otherwise the team to me would be J/R and S/D. But yea S/D should go to Worlds, with Matte/Ferland or whoever.

I just think its sad to only have 5 teams with the mins when 1 of them is not oly eligible and 2 are skating worse than ever.

RoseRed

No Karen, I actually mean get the mins for the OLYMPICS. And Worlds! And only because S/D are not Oly eligible, otherwise the team to me would be J/R and S/D. But yea S/D should go to Worlds, with Matte/Ferland or whoever.

I just think its sad to only have 5 teams with the mins when 1 of them is not oly eligible and 2 are skating worse than ever.
I'm not sure Adcock is even a citizen, and anyways, they just scored a 156 domestically, behind Matte/Ferland (+ Stellato/Deschamps). That's ~12 points less than W/M just got internationally. So no, they don't need minimums for the Olympics. Or for Worlds. They aren't ready for that. I get that our top teams are kind of a mess, but let's be realistic - this team didn't even get a single level 4 lift at Challenge (3 in the SP, 1/3/2 in the FS). I'm all for sending them out to get experience, but making it about Olympics and Worlds tech minimums doesn't make sense.

As for McIntosh/Mimar, they chose to compete junior domestically even though they did senior at Challenge last year. Because obviously, that's where they're at right now. They missed the JGP while dealing with injury, and if they/their team chose for them to not skate seniors right now because of that, then again, talking about them for Olympics and Worlds this season just doesn't make sense.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
I get your point. I still think they are better than what we saw today, scores and reputations aside. Anyway Matte/Ferland is going to be the benchmark stable team to potentially take advantage if those teams really blow it at Nats. Should be interesting.

karmena

So after the FS we can say that mostly clean J/R score in the low 130 (to be fair their elements are just not great, and when you factor in their lack of speed, transitions, and overall shaky lifts the 130 seems even too high), W/M had two major errors but the rest was more solid compared to the rest of the season (but their lack of consistency hurt their scoring) and that KMT looks like she's completely checked out of this season (the skater who barely missed a throw or a jumps now barely lands any) and struggling to continue. Depressing as hell honestly.
I am not quite sure about lack of speed....perhaps it is as to say "Golden Spin of Zagreb speed"

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information