From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherub721

YEAH!
There was an official list of Olympic candidates posted here a while ago. It was pretty much all the skaters on the national team and anyone who could potentially make it.

hanca

Values her privacy
There was an official list of Olympic candidates posted here a while ago. It was pretty much all the skaters on the national team and anyone who could potentially make it.
And a few of those who can’t make it because they are age ineligible, plus a few of those who could make it only if God was working overtime and managed to pull off a major miracle…

Spikefan

Rooting for that middle-aged team
If that is the case there are potentially more than three, Danielian is 17 (and likely others in other disciplines). So I guess he knows he is out too. :shuffle:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
How odd that they have already determined three figure skaters will be minors, that does not bode well for Liza. Maybe they just meant, potentially three…
You did not think that the entire system is rigged? I want to come and live in you world.

And I don't think it will be.just Russia doing the rigging.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Here are the skaters that were on the nominees list who are under 18 as listed on the document:

Iuliia Artemeva 16/03/2005
Artur Danielian 17/12/2003
Irina Khavronina 31/07/2004
Maiia Khromykh 25/05/2006
Sofia Samodelkina 18/02/2007 (age-ineligible)
Daniil Samsonov 13/07/2005
Anna Shcherbakova 28/04/2004
Ksenia Sinitsyna 05/08/2004
Alexandra Trusova 23/06/2004
Daria Usacheva 22/05/2006
Kamila Valieva 26/04/2006

My take on the statement is that the ROC doesn't expect more than 3 figure skaters under the age of 18, and I'd say that's a reasonable assumption.

Dance - Khavronina/Cirisano - no way - they've been competing junior all season
Pairs - Artemeva/Nazarychev - remote chance they could finish top 3 at RusNats but if that happens, they'll get sent to Euros and if they don't medal, they'll be replaced by one of the 3 (or 4) teams that made the GPF.
Men - Samsonov has been injured all season; Danielian - well, it's Russian men and, sure, anything is possible, but based on how he's been doing on the GP, I can't see him beating at least 5 of Kolyada, Semenenko, Kondratiuk, Ignatov, Mozalev, Aliev and Samarin.
Women - 2 of Khromykh, Shcherbakova, Sinitsyna, Trusova, and Valieva (assuming Usacheva isn't at RusNats due to her injury) seems reasonable, maybe 3 but not certain.

Anyway you slice it, looking at how the fall season has played out so far, it doesn't seem unreasonable to state "three figure skaters" as a maximum expectation.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
FYI:

Deputy Prime Minister Tatiana Golikova announced separately that the health ministry would register a new Sputnik M vaccine for use for children aged 12-17 later on Wednesday, with shots expected to be available at the end of December.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
It will be a statement skate for Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin, if they skate clean with more innovative moves
they can score 77+ SP and 145 FS, This can increase more in the GPF, and if win silver here with a high score and medal again in the GPF.

They still have a slight chance of knocking out one of Tarasova / Morozov or Boikova / Kozlovskii
technically both also are struggling a bit, mentally of course more for T/M. I have a soft spot for P/K as I prefer them to haughty and divas B/K. I rank Tarasova / Morozov , Boikova / Kozlovski, Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin as equal as of the moment.

Now it will be interesting if P/K make the Nationals podium and knock out one of teh top 3 pairs,
they will then be sent to Euros and if they finish only with a bronze, will they get another skate off with T/M or B/K or M/G ?

Russian Pairs pecking order

Mishina / Gallaimov

Tarasova / Morozov
Boikova / Kozlovsky - Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin

Artemeva / Nazarychev

Khabibullina Knyazhuk ( bambi legs, in danger of growing more taller)
Geinish/Mironov ( passed height difference for now )
Mukhortova / Evgenyev ( she is short enough to get decent height difference)

and more juniors in the ranks ( I did not mention juniors will very low height difference)

----------------------------

Panfilova / Rylov ?

------------

B rate pairs

Pepleva / Plseshkov
Kadyrova / Balchenko
Akopova/ Rakhmanin

ETA: In Pairs you Cannot be successful with NO Height Difference.

Last edited:

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Pavliuchenko/Khodykin have shown nothing yet this season to indicate they are "equal" to Tarasova/Morozov or even B/K.

If they skate well at Rostelecom, that could change. We'll see. Innovative moves are great, but only if executed well.
Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin lift positions are difficult, only Panfilova / Rylov should compete with their lift GOEs
Their twist exit is unique and their jump throw entry are difficult too.

we'll see, a 77 SP+ and 144 FS will be very good score that even B/K have not gotten yet this season.
I'm rooting for them to make an upset and make the Olympics, I also really do not like Boikova and Kozlovskis haughty attitudes.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin should be getting in that 77+ SP close to divas Boikova / Kozlovski :rolleyes:
deserved higher GOE with their difficult lifts and jump entrances and Transition too is lower marked

at least they get +2 with their twist unique exit.

Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin are equal to Tarasova / Morozov or Boikova / Kozlovskii
They are not on Artemeva / Nazrychev level getting 73+

angi

The fact that Mishina/Galliamov got a higher score than Pavlyuchenko/Khodykin for transitions in their PCS is everything that is broken in the sport. Most of P/K's transitions were well executed here and increased their difficulty above anything that any other team was doing. This was a clean SP that should have scored ~77, it's a shame they weren't rewarded when they delivered.
Also, if B/K can get ~75 with a mistake, to give ~73 to a clean P/K is just off.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
It will be a Travesty if Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin doesnt go to the Olympics, their black swan is "IT", a darkhorse for Olympic medal.
I would have them above old and inconsistent Tarasova / Morozov or the snotty Boikova / Kozlovskii.

Still hoping they knock out one of these two and medal in GPF and Nationals:

ETA: I do not Like Boikova / Kozlovski attitude problems :rolleyes:

love_skate2011

Banned Member
I wonder why their TES dropped for Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin so much from 74 to 69, was their last lift considered aborted or not enough time needed for the lift ? Khodykin was a bit shaking and dropped, still a 74 if not for that lift and a fall is competitive with Mishina / Galliamov technically.

their transitions are paying off, now they just need to work on PCS. A score of 77 SP and 144-146 FS is doable
and They should be sent to Olympics if they medal at Nationals coz theyll medal in Euros too obviously, a clean skate can be enough for an Olympics podium.

No skate off with them against Tarasova / Morozov or Boikova / Kozlovski

happycamper2554

I wonder why their TES dropped for Pavlyuchenko / Khodykin so much from 74 to 69, was their last lift considered aborted or not enough time needed for the lift ? Khodykin was a bit shaking and dropped, still a 74 if not for that lift and a fall is competitive with Mishina / Galliamov technically.

The 2nd 3t was called under rotated, they also got called for a spin violation

clairecloutier

On Twitter, I came across this interview with junior pairs skater Diana Mukhametzyanova:

She says that Nina Mozer broke up her partnership with Mironov.

Now she is training in Pavel Sliusarenko's group in Perm and looking for a new partner.

J

Jeschke

On Twitter, I came across this interview with junior pairs skater Diana Mukhametzyanova:

Now she is training in Pavel Sliusarenko's group in Perm and looking for a new partner.
Thanks, I am still missing M/M.
Surprised that she is already looking for a new partner.
First outings with her new one (sorry, forgot the name) were kinda decent iirc.

hanca

Values her privacy

Well, there is Kalashnikov who should be available. He is with Sliusarenko too.
What happened to Butaev? We haven’t seen his since Raskovalova/Butaev split up, and they were in Sliusarenko’s school. (Though I am not sure if he is tall enough for her?)
Or there should be Volodin, we haven’t seen him this season yet.
Or she may be a back up plan for Bakhmat, in case his partnership with Sobinina doesn’t work out.
My guess is that Briukhanov and Kolesov may be available soon too, considering how bad season they had. (No GPF, no senior nationals… Akhanteva/Kolesov and Kostiukovich/Briukhanov are under Mozer’s school, and if Mozer got rid of Mukhametzianova because she stopped landing jumps, she can easily get rid of Akhanteva or Kostiukovich too. That just shows that one can be ‘the golden pair’ for a few seasons, but if puberty comes and the female skater stops jumping, there are no second chances.)
There may also be Malikov available soon, if Petushkova completely outgrows him.
The same with Artem Griatsenko, if Storublievtseva completely outgrows him.
Ialin is probably too short for her, isn’t he?
What about Khvalko, did he find a new partner? Or is he also too short? (I am not sure if he was too short for pairs or if Kuzmina was the one who was too tall…)

hanca

Values her privacy
Just wondering, does anyone else finds it a bit hypocritical when a morbidly obese woman advises Mukhametzianova to lose weight? What happened to setting an example? Like a proper role model? I mean, I know that Mozer is not an elite athlete, but she probably weighs four times what Mukhametzianova does.

rfisher

Let the skating begin

Diana has really struggled this year. I hope she can find a new partner and get past this bad year.

Karen-W

So, here's a question... With Omicron rearing it's ugly head and new travel restrictions cropping up... What happens to the agreement between the Beijing organizers, the IOC and the ROC regarding their underage athletes participation in the Olympics? China can change their C19 protocols for the Games at any time. We might not see those unvaccinated athletes in Beijing at all if things keep going the way they are.

skatingguy

decently
So, here's a question... With Omicron rearing it's ugly head and new travel restrictions cropping up... What happens to the agreement between the Beijing organizers, the IOC and the ROC regarding their underage athletes participation in the Olympics? China can change their C19 protocols for the Games at any time. We might not see those unvaccinated athletes in Beijing at all if things keep going the way they are.
Was that an agreement with the ROC? I thought that was the rules - if you are eligible for a vaccine in your country, then you need to be vaccinated, but if an athlete can't be vaccinated according to the rules in their own country then the quarantine rules wouldn't apply.

Karen-W

Was that an agreement with the ROC? I thought that was the rules - if you are eligible for a vaccine in your country, then you need to be vaccinated, but if an athlete can't be vaccinated according to the rules in their own country then the quarantine rules wouldn't apply.

Well, who is to say that the Beijing organizers don't change their C19 playbook again and basically say "everyone must be vaccinated or quarantine for 10 days, no exceptions"?

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Meningitis is scary stuff, I'm just glad Tiff is ok. But definitely hope she is recovered enough in time for Nationals as well.
Yeah my dad before he passed had meningitis then encephalitis which created a brain injury and he had to learn to walk, talk etc. can be life altering, hope they treated her quickly and she has a full recovery. I will be cheering for her at Nationals, they deserve to qualify to the Olympics

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I don't think there is any way to have this be anything other than a ClusterF.

There would have to be total change in how people are rated. Some skaters have had their comps cancelled, could not travel for whatever rules are in place at any particular time in the last 2 years.
It is all totally not fair (even not fair for regular ISU rules).

I wish they would rate the competitions and give points accordingly.

1. All skaters could be rated (like A, B, C)
2. Points from any given competition could be weighted by the classification of skaters they have. So, you are not just whomped because all the hard skaters are there, and you would get overly rewarded for being in a competition where there is a weak field.
3. There should be some ceiling or floor on how many competitions a skater can go to.

I don't know what to do about the judges who give PCS which has very little to do with reality.

I don't know...............it is all a mess, rigged, not equitable, and totally ridiculous.

But what can I say I love it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information