U.S. Men 2021-22 season news & updates

wickedwitch

It also says the reduction of a fall is -5, and I think we can all agree that it's pretty final even if up until the fall the jump somehow deserved +4 GOE.
The fact that the same q jumps can get anything from +2 to -2 is a problem and mean that the rules are not clear enough (or at least not strict enough).
Just after I read this, I saw Gracie Gold's protocols from today where she received 3s on a combo with a q on the 3T. https://ijs.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2021/30111/SEGM018.html It was a nice combo and all, but I doubt the judges had been planning on giving her a +5 for it.

maureenfarone

What is going on with him? Didn't he miss Nationals last year too?
He skated at 2020 Nationals and then missed 2021 because of injury. I don't have any special knowledge but he only did 1 summer comp with reduced jump content. He had signed up for the Nationals qualifier comp in Henderson NV but withdrew from it.

Jammers

He skated at 2020 Nationals and then missed 2021 because of injury. I don't have any special knowledge but he only did 1 summer comp with reduced jump content. He had signed up for the Nationals qualifier comp in Henderson NV but withdrew from it.
Well to me 2021 Nats is last year now. LOL

Flowerz

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
In surprising news, looks like Jason got full rotation credit for his (2-footed) quad today:

Generous of the caller, but what a great milestone for him! :40beers:
After some of the absolute gift baskets that have been handed out in calling this year I'll take this one for Jason.

Or perhaps this is karma making its long-awaited return since I will go to my grave maintaining that 4T at 2016 Skate America should have been rotated.

Hopefully the confidence boost it gives him will be a big forward push for him.

layman

After some of the absolute gift baskets that have been handed out in calling this year I'll take this one for Jason.

Or perhaps this is karma making its long-awaited return since I will go to my grave maintaining that 4T at 2016 Skate America should have been rotated.

Hopefully the confidence boost it gives him will be a big forward push for him.
Does Jason's bronze in France mean that the US has qualified 3 men for the GPF?

skatingguy

decently
Does Jason's bronze in France mean that the US has qualified 3 men for the GPF?
Semenenko needs to finish 1st or finish 2nd with a score greater than 267.74.
Kolyada needs to finish 1st or 2nd, or finish 3rd with a score greater than 250.20.
There are no other skaters with a chance to qualify.
At this point it looks like Brown will make the final because Semenenko would need a personal best by 9 points to win the tie breaker.

Tavi

Kolyada needs to finish 1st or 2nd, or finish 3rd with a score greater than 250.20.
At this point it looks like Brown will make the final because Semenenko would need a personal best by 9 points to win the tie breaker.
What makes you think he wouldn’t get a personal best by 9 points skating at home in Russia?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
It's not quite that simple.

Semenenko will be in with a 1st because he will have 26 points to Jason's 24.

Kolyada will be in with a 2nd or higher, again because two 2nds give him 26 points to Jason's 24.

If Kolyada wins and Semenenko finishes 2nd then it will come down to the total points tiebreaker.

skatingguy

decently
It's not quite that simple.

Semenenko will be in with a 1st because he will have 26 points to Jason's 24.

Kolyada will be in with a 2nd or higher, again because two 2nds give him 26 points to Jason's 24.

If Kolyada wins and Semenenko finishes 2nd then it will come down to the total points tiebreaker.
I'm assuming that Kolyada is going to win. He's the top Russian man, and their best opportunity for a medal in the men's discipline so barring disaster he's going to win.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I'm assuming that Kolyada is going to win. He's the top Russian man, and their best opportunity for a medal in the men's discipline so barring disaster he's going to win.

Fair point. Rizzo is my dark horse for silver. I don't think Semenenko is a lock for 2nd but I would agree that Kolyada is pretty far ahead of the rest of this field.

DreamSkates

Back to men - Jimmy Ma had a not-so-great SP in Warsaw. GRRR. I hope he doesn't revert back to the messy landings and lower levels that plagued his skating prior to this year.
He looked really good at the beginning of this year...fingers crossed he'll get everything in order for Nationals.

skatingguy

decently
Fair point. Rizzo is my dark horse for silver. I don't think Semenenko is a lock for 2nd but I would agree that Kolyada is pretty far ahead of the rest of this field.
I think I hit all the possible outcomes, and Rizzo can certainly come in and help out Brown by beating Semenenko at this event. Feels to me like Semenenko skated pretty well for him at Skate Canada, and just out scored Rizzo who didn't skate to his potential in his first Grand Prix. I would really like to see Rizzo get a medal & gain some of his momentum back.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I think I hit all the possible outcomes, and Rizzo can certainly come in and help out Brown by beating Semenenko at this event. Feels to me like Semenenko skated pretty well for him at Skate Canada, and just out scored Rizzo who didn't skate to his potential in his first Grand Prix. I would really like to see Rizzo get a medal & gain some of his momentum back.
Kondratiuk is also in the field, and even though it's his only event, he can also play spoiler to his two teammates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information