From Russia With Love [#40]: Summer 2021 & into the Olympic season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkverse

StepanovA
SmilkovA

Russian women usually add A to their last name. The only exceptions I have seen are Liza Kulik, Diana Davis and Mirozov's daughter. All three were born in the USA. There could be others though, and born in either Russia or Ukraine, with names ending in O. The Slavic names and those ending 'in' do add A.
Examples - Boikova, Moskvina.
Ukrainian last names like Kulik, or English ones like Davis do not add an -a, and neither do Russian ones like Ilinykh. To add an -a, a name must end in -ov/ev or -in. It doesn't have to be Slavic, other ethnic groups like Tatars also have last names ending in -ov/ev and -in which add an -a (Valieva, Zagitova, Khudaiberdieva, Mustafina etc).

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ukrainian last names like Kulik, or English ones like Davis do not add an -a, and neither do Russian ones like Ilinykh. To add an -a, a name must end in -ov/ev or -in. It doesn't have to be Slavic, other ethnic groups like Tatars also have last names ending in -ov/ev and -in which add an -a (Valieva, Zagitova, Khudaiberdieva, Mustafina etc).
I know all of this. I just wanted to keep my post short. Thanks for adding though. Also, as an American I do know that Davis is not a Russian name. :)

Last edited:

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Russian sunames not all ending in ov

ending suffix: in, ov, ev, y ( add a for women) and some exceptions ( like Volosozhar)
Trusova, Kostornaya, Samodelkina, Andreeva

this also applies to tatar mostly ending in, ov or ev - Valieva is only a tatar surname.

It is true most last names that dont need suffixes are mostly ukrainian in origin like Plusneko, Kulik, Kovtun, Ilinykh
Ukrainian is suffix ending in ko, yuk

skylark

M/G and B/K are no longer in good terms, since M/G also moved to Moskvina
there is tension , also add to that Kozlovsky especially Boikova have difficult peronalities like Kostornaya.

hence the voodoo reference for Mishina based on Boikovas snarky and diva attitude.

If B/K Dont win gold in France , I just realised they wont make the GPF and will increase the chances of P/K of making the Olympics.

M/G > T/M - B/K - P/K ( All later three have equal chnaces, not consistent)
thank you for your reply to my question, which I only just now saw. I was pretty amazed and horrified at Boikova's reaction at Worlds.

I wonder if Mishina/Galliamov will stay with Minchuk at the Moskvina school after Tamara M. retires. Well, they have plenty of time to plan and think about it.

J

Jeschke

Qualification Russian Nationals Ice Dance (3 spots available via Russian Cup*)
Final Standings

Bildschirmfoto-2021-11-18-um-14-24-47.png

Green - Nationals spot secured by Grand Prix entry
Purple - Nationals spot secured by JGPF qualifcation
*dependent on participation of JGP-finalists
---
Horror scenario for Ushakvoa/Nekrasov.
Some JGP-finalists may not skate and status of Z/G is unknown, but they are still way down the list.
Will the fed surpass lower 'level' teams?

hanca

Values her privacy
Qualification Russian Nationals Ice Dance (3 spots available via Russian Cup*)
Final Standings

Bildschirmfoto-2021-11-18-um-14-24-47.png

---
Horror scenario for Ushakvoa/Nekrasov.
Some JGP-finalists may not skate and status of Z/G is unknown, but they are still way down the list.
Will the fed surpass lower 'level' teams?
In ice dance the JGP finalists never compete in senior nationals. It may be because there is a different short dance. It is only in in women, men and pairs that the JGP finalists go to senior nationals.

But even with those three spots that you offered to JGP finalists being available, it will still leave Ushakova/Nekrasov as second substitute. I think the federation will give them pass. Surely no one will want to watch Khrabrykh/Suslov who scored 111 and 115 in their events rather than U/N who scored 175. 111 and 115 is pretty bad even for juniors and this is qualification for senior nationals!

Ka3sha

Alexei Mishin's team explained their withdrawal from Cup of Austria last week, as some of the journalists mentioned fever as the main reason. A night before their flight Liza Tuktamysheva texted Mishin and said she has 37,2C temperature and is not feeling well, they decided to wait until the morning and she then had 38,2C, so the whole team (Tuktamysheva, Kolyada, Semenenko) withdrew from the event and got tested. All of them got negative tests for the crud, spent few days at home and recovered from the cold.
Some pictures from recent practice in the article:

J

Jeschke

Qualification Russian Nationals Men (4 spots available via Russian Cup*)
Final Standings

Bildschirmfoto-2021-11-19-um-15-10-12.png

---

Ladies final standings in Russian ladies thread

euterpe

She does over Russian judges and Russian judges loaned to other nations who might not get assignments unless they support Russian skaters.....

hanca

Values her privacy
She does over Russian judges and Russian judges loaned to other nations who might not get assignments unless they support Russian skaters.....
That’s a bit far fetched. She may have influence over Russian judges, but international judges do not need Tutberidze. One Tutberidze is not going to improve ranking of skaters from their countries, and if Tutberidze were offering assignments to improve scoring for her own skaters, considering how many skaters she has, there would have to be competition in Russia every day, to be able to repay with all those supposedly promised assignments.

euterpe

Yet the scores for her own skaters rise into the stratosphere in their international assignments. If the judges from other countries want good scores for their own skaters, it may give them an incentive to support her skaters----and her daughter in ice dance.

On the Warsaw Cup Ice Dance panel: RUS CZE ISR (Beletski) USA BLR UKR (Medvedieva)

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Here with go again with the Diana Davis and Tutberidze conspiracy. If theres anyone propping them its the RUS Fed,
who can blame them ? they need new blood, and the other russian juniors have been flops transitioning to seniors

They are coached by Igor and he will be more than happy to be back in the limelight
How will the reactions be when D/S will be World medalists, i think they will pass S/B soon anyways.

We could be looking at a D/S team Igor and K/A (pending her 3 inches increase if it happens) team Krylova for next Olympic Cycle.

hanca

Values her privacy
Yet the scores for her own skaters rise into the stratosphere in their international assignments. If the judges from other countries want good scores for their own skaters, it may give them an incentive to support her skaters----and her daughter in ice dance.

On the Warsaw Cup Ice Dance panel: RUS CZE ISR (Beletski) USA BLR UKR (Medvedieva)
I don’t think Czechia has any reason to try to help Russia. Russians are not liked there (that’s what happens when one occupies their country for a while). I can’t imagine Russia is doing any skating deals with the USA either. And the relationship between Russia and Ukraine is also not so great. Tutberidze must be a miraculous worker if she manages to make deals with all those countries, who don’t really like Russians…

euterpe

Some of the Ukrainian judges are Russian, and anyway there is a sizable Russian population within the Ukraine.

It isn't as if there is specific deal-making with other Euro countries, but more that skaters from those countries might get even worse results if their judges don't support Russian skaters.

The US isn't making any deals with Russia, but Canada's only real hope for an Olympic medal is Gilles/Poirier, and according to gossip on the boards, SC is "pushing really hard" for that to happen (whatever that means).

But too bad: now it looks as if Russia wants two medals-- one for S/K, the other for Eteri's little girl.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
Eteri's "little girl" isn't getting an Olympic medal (or a World one, for that matter) this season. They might be setting them up for an Olympic medal in 2026 but certainly not this year.
I sort of wonder if with Z/G’s health issues if they’re trying to give them some buzz if they end up going as Russia #3. Also, as I’ve said before, scoring at challengers can get weird, so let’s see what happens when all the Russian teams skate at the same time under the same panel.

I do see potential in D/S, but they’re still young and not soup yet.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I sort of wonder if with Z/G’s health issues if they’re trying to give them some buzz if they end up going as Russia #3. Also, as I’ve said before, scoring at challengers can get weird, so let’s see what happens when all the Russian teams skate at the same time under the same panel.

I agree. They do have potential. So do Morozov/Bagin and Skoptcova/Aleshin. We'll see how they all fare at RusNats in another month, but right now, my preference of those three, if Z/G aren't healthy enough, would be S/A.

love_skate2011

Banned Member

they will be going to the Olympics, Z/G absence from Zahorski illness sealed their fate.

It happens, in Sports its about peaking at the right time and avoiding injuries.

aka_gerbil

Rooting for the Underdogs
If I were Russia, what I’d do if Z/G aren’t healthy is see how things go down at nationals, then send the first three teams that aren’t s/k or s/b to Euros and see how they score to make the final decision on who to send.

Z/G’s main issue isn’t injury, but that Tiffany had meningitis. I’m not sure what the recovery is like for that.

hanca

Values her privacy
they will be going to the Olympics, Z/G absence from Zahorski illness sealed their fate.

It happens, in Sports its about peaking at the right time and avoiding injuries.
We don’t know if any of the top three Russian ice dance teams will be healthy. Katsalapov seems to be quite injury prone, we don’t know how fast Zahorski will recover and get back into full fitness, and even though Stepanova/Bukin are currently healthy, they also had some health problems in the off season and at the beginning of the season, so we don’t know what it was/how likely it could be coming back. As I see it, it will be two daughters and Khubardieva who are going to the Olympics! :p

J

Jeschke

Qualification Russian Nationals Pairs (1 spot available via Russian Cup*)
Final Standings

Bildschirmfoto-2021-11-20-um-14-12-45.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information