Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonas

That's when they usually are but someone told me because of the Olympic season they're backing up Nationals into January. When they are remains to be seen. Aliona Sasha and Anna need as much time as possible to make a real strong push for the Olympic team.
As long as Russia's TV1 offers up free streaming coverage like they did the last two years, I'm gravy!! Very honestly, I'm probably more excited to watch Russian Nationals than the Olympics!

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
As long as Russia's TV1 offers up free streaming coverage like they did the last two years, I'm gravy!! Very honestly, I'm probably more excited to watch Russian Nationals than the Olympics!
Yep, Russia has been wonderful with their streaming competitions. Russia Nationals ladies event last year was unreal. I also like that they hired Ted Barton to commentate. He's quiet, kind, and I like his manner.

annie_mg

I really wish we could cut Kostornaia a little slack. So she made some decisions that turned out poorly. So she's struggling with her skating. So she changes her programs a lot. Guess what? She's a teenager. When I was a teenager, I barely knew which end was up, never mind having a career as a top medal-winning athlete. Nor did I have to deal with a serious disease or injuries or allegedly predatory coaches.

I love skating as much as the next person, and I'm probably guilty too sometimes, but let's try to be aware of the weight of expectation we put on these kids. Yes, some of them bear it well, but we shouldn't be so shocked and disapproving when some of them don't. They're talented and strong, but they're not superheroes or demigods. They're still kids.
Thanks for bringing in this perspective Wyilefan. It's true that we get carried away sometimes and don't see the bigger picture. The thing is, these girls aren't treated like 'normal' teenagers. They are part of a sport where girls peak early and they are pretty much expected to perform like small machines. There's no space for teenage tantrums, there just isn't. It's the same with gymnastics. Not saying I agree with it all, but it's simply a fact, especially in Russia.

Last edited:

hoptoad

... post 2022 will be an Era of the Sofias ?

Sofia S, Sofia A, Sofia T, did I miss another Sofia ? :confused:
The Era of Sofias, lol!

I just counted, and 10% (!) of my students this year (including all genders) are named either Sofia or Olivia. (this includes Sophia and Sophie/Sofie)

Where are all the Olivias in skating?

Marco

The problem for Trusova with not doing a triple axel is that she is forced to count a double axel in both programs since the axel jump is required.

This is why Valieva does not need to do as many quads as Trusova to equal or surpass her scores.

Because the number of jumps a skater can do are limited, the values of the jumps aren't just raw numbers. The value of every jumping pass matters, and by doing only the double axel, Trusova is forced to count lower value jumping passes twice.

Each skater is allowed 4 jumps in the short program and 11 jumps in the long program. In both programs an axel jump is required.

So over the course of both programs someone doing a triple axel in both the short and the long earns 9.4 points more than Trusova or anyone doing only a 2a. That is about the value of a quadruple toe.
Another [more risk-free] way of looking at it is Kamila is simply earning so much higher GOEs / PCS on eveything over Sasha. So if the 3axel is simply not possible for Sasha, then she needs to find ways to catch up on GOEs and PCS.

Scott512

Two Grand-Prix down, four to go! Next up: Cup of China Cap-pu-ccino (Italia)!

Anna Scherbakova
Maiia Khromikh
Sofia Samodurova

Same three Russian contenders who were the three medalists at Budapest Trophy a couple of weeks ago, when Maiia took gold over World Champ Anna. “Can’t Not Watch” as Peacock tells us.
At least they don't have to go all the way to China. Italy is a much better choice. Especially in a pandemic. Maybe they can move the Olympics to Italy too. ;)

It's time for the reigning and defending world champion and defending 3 time national champion Anna to bow her neck and show us what she's got. It's hard to imagine they won't put this girl on the on the Olympic team if she's scoring in the 240 point range again and has her quad back.

This is the cream puff Grand Prix isn't it? If Anna or Maya don't win it will be a shock. Maya is the wild card in all of this. She is just the right age to hit her stride land her quad's and look spectacular. Anna needs to show up and win this event and show the federation she is still one of the top girls. The question I have is Anna just overwhelmed by the scores KV is putting band knowing she's already a world champion and 3 time national champion if that's enough for her?

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I have been predicting Olympic gold for Kamila for over four years. All the Eteri girls knew Kamila was coming... I think Anna has a secure enough head on her shoulders that she will go out and perform her best, and most likely skate totally clean. And she will be happy with it. This isn't like Evgenia losing to someone who backloaded, Kamila is better in just about EVERYTHING. It's life. Do your best, and then just hope for the best.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
At least they don't have to go all the way to China. Italy is a much better choice. Especially in a *********. Maybe they can move the Olympics to Italy too. ;)

It's time for the reigning and defending world champion and defending 3 time national champion Anna to bow her neck and show us what she's got. It's hard to imagine they won't put this girl on the on the Olympic team if she's scoring in the 240 point range again and has her quad back.

This is the cream puff Grand Prix isn't it? If Anna or Maya don't win it will be a shock. Maya is the wild card in all of this. She is just the right age to hit her stride land her quad's and look spectacular. Anna needs to show up and win this event and show the federation she is still one of the top girls. The question I have is Anna just overwhelmed by the scores KV is putting band knowing she's already a world champion and 3 time national champion if that's enough for her?
Other than Anna-Maiia, perhaps Loena H or Mai M or a Korean or two could challenge for a bronze here? (No USA women here.) Variety is the spice of life.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I'm excited to see how Maiia responds after her win over Anna in Budapest. Hopefully she will be brimming with confidence. I haven't seen too much about Anna's training on Russian news sites, and it's making me nervous. Or maybe she'll come out with two 4lutzes and a 4flip and surprise us.... This will either REALLY help Maiia's campaign, or it might convince RusFed to just go with Anna for the Olympics. Alot could be riding on this week.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm excited to see how Maiia responds after her win over Anna in Budapest. Hopefully she will be brimming with confidence. I haven't seen too much about Anna's training on Russian news sites, and it's making me nervous. Or maybe she'll come out with two 4lutzes and a 4flip and surprise us.... This will either REALLY help Maiia's campaign, or it might convince RusFed to just go with Anna for the Olympics. Alot could be riding on this week.
It may come down to Anna's recovery from the injury. She has a tough mind. I expect her to bounce back, unless the injury is more serious than we know.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
No it is not a weak field. It has the reigning world and Russian champ, a former European champ, an upcoming Russian woman who just upset the world champ, aND promising skaters Mihara and HendriCox. Should be a great competition.

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
It's actually a really strong field. Pretty much agreed that a woman wont be able to get on the podium without a triple axel.
That’s quite the feat when Kromykh does quads but no Axel AFAIK and Shcherbakova has none either, and struggled with the quad in her last event.

So who is going for more than a 3Lz besides those two?

Hendrickx doesn’t even do all five triples let alone the Axel and she is a medal contender here.

canbelto

I should have said a quad and/or triple axel.
And I mean the Olympics. Oops. What event are we talking about?

canbelto

Gotcha. I was saying that at the Olympics you need a 3A or quad to make the podium.

Frau Muller

That’s quite the feat when Kromykh does quads but no Axel AFAIK and Shcherbakova has none either, and struggled with the quad in her last event.

So who is going for more than a 3Lz besides those two?

Hendrickx doesn’t even do all five triples let alone the Axel and she is a medal contender here.
Wasn’t Satoko trying 3-ax recently? Korean Yelim Kim? A big unknown so far this season: Eun Soo Lim. We’ve seen very little of her in ages. Well, sorry to digress beyond the Russians...but from here on out, we’re realistic looking at Russian women winning every single G-P. It’s relevant to ponder about any non-Russian who may alter the plan.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Wasn’t Satoko trying 3-ax recently? Korean Yelim Kim? A big unknown so far this season: Eun Soo Lim. We’ve seen very little of her in ages. Well, sorry to digress beyond the Russians...but from here on out, we’re realistic looking at Russian women winning every single G-P. It’s relevant to ponder about any non-Russian who may alter the plan.
You, Liu and Higuchi have the triple axels. Liu has a quad. I think any of them can upset a Russian woman who is having a bad day.

Frau Muller

You, Liu and Higuchi have the triple axels. Liu has a quad. I think any of them can upset a Russian woman who is having a bad day.
...but only if they (You, Liu, Higuchi), in turn, have good days..meaning no under-rotations/Qs, high GOEs and extraordinary PCS. Liu & Higuchi deserved higher PCS than what they received in SkCan, IMO...performance, composition and interpretation of music...deserved more into the low 9s.

Last edited:

Scott512

Interesting. I think it's hard to add these Ultra jumps once you reach a certain age but a lot of ladies are trying.

I also have seen it's very hard for the skaters who do the ultra jumps to skate cleanly. So with all these girls looking to add triple axels or quads the reward is great but the risk is great too and almost no one skates cleanly who does these Ultra jumps. Anna at Nationals the last three years Liza skates cleanly with her 3A and aliona 2 years ago was brilliant with her 3A. The girls with the quads struggle to skate cleanly it will be interesting to see what Maya does in Italia.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Khromikh landed all the jumps but her program was not interesting to me. It was one jump after another. I think Anna with one quad can beat her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information