2021-22 ISU Grand Prix assignments announced

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Samsonov is crossed out for Skate America. Who is next in line that would be a viable substitute?
Here's @haribobo's most recent alternates list:

If none of the Russian men other list can get visas in the short time frame we now have, then my guess is Sota Yamamoto will be invited. There aren't any Chinese skaters at SkAm, so I'd be surprised if Jin was invited instead, Fentz is injured, and the US already has 3 men.

RoseRed

Samsonov is crossed out for Skate America. Who is next in line that would be a viable substitute?
The list should look something like (though I'm not sure that Han Yan would still be on it after he WD from GP ITA)
  1. Boyang Jin - 2nd (CoC)
  2. Han Yan
  3. Andrei Mozalev - 2nd (IdF)
  4. Sota Yamamoto - 2nd (SC)
  5. Petr Gumennik - 2nd (CoC)
  6. Paul Fentz - 2nd (CoC)
  7. Lukas Britschgi
  8. Aleksandr Selevko
  9. Ivan Shmuratko
The next couple would be Konstantin Milukyov and Vladimir Litvintsev.

I don't know whether the Russians would have time to get visas or not.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
Point? He could have injured himself in the interim.
Yes, I do realize that. Especially considering injury is what took him out of test skates.

But what I was trying to see was if I was correct in thinking he was in Tashkent last week.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Yes, I do realize that. Especially considering injury is what took him out of test skates.

But what I was trying to see was if I was correct in thinking he was in Tashkent last week.
You were. Trankov posted a photo on IG of them at dinner and he was in a

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
No explanation was given, other than he withdrew.

When did all this go down? Im pretty much glued to figure skating right now when I’m not working, drinking, sleeping or in the bathroom. And yet there’s still news I miss?

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Or, to be more efficient, the drinking and the bathroom can be combined?
A chilled glass of ice wine or champagne in a luxurious bubble bath is the only acceptable form of bathroom drinking.

When did all this go down? Im pretty much glued to figure skating right now when I’m not working, drinking, sleeping or in the bathroom. And yet there’s still news I miss?
Work? I have always assumed you are a gentleman of leisure.

-BB

Last edited:

On My Own

LOL. Great that so many better skaters were pushed aside for an Eteri junior - and he won't even go :rolleyes: And now it's too late to invite some of them. Nothing more expected from RusFed.

ETA: Not even going to pretend I'm sad for Eteri. Will rather be sad if Jin isn't invited rightfully. Maybe CSA will prevent or maybe he won't get a visa quickly enough, but Sakamoto is also going to go straight to Skate America from Asian Open, so preparation time isn't necessarily the issue. (Or are there specific travel restrictions on China?)

Last edited:

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I’ve noticed that, in many skating competitions, a coach takes many of his/her charges to the event. So I’m betting that Samsonov was originally on the list because he’d be part of the Eteri Troupe...along with T/M, Trusova & Usacheva. Too bad that he is now unable to go.
Isn’t it exciting to think that this is happening SOON?

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Its worth noting Daniil Samsonov won the Junior title at Russian Nationals twice, and defeated Yuma, Gumennik and Grassl at the 19/20 JGPF (only losing to Shun Sato and Mozalev). His PB score is 250 which is absolutely enormous for a junior skater, and would put him 10th at 2021 Worlds. Personally I'm fine with Daniil getting the spots.

At this point, the more borderline skaters most deserving of spots IMO are the ones medaling on the Challenger series, and all of those so far have spots (although Kondratiuk only has 1 currently).

Last edited:

On My Own

Its worth noting Daniil Samsonov won the Junior title at Russian Nationals twice, and defeated Yuma, Gumennik and Grassl at the 19/20 JGPF (only losing to Shun Sato and Mozalev). His PB score is 250 which is absolutely enormous for a junior skater, and would put him 10th at 2021 Worlds. Personally I'm fine with Daniil getting the spots.
It's 18 points lower than Jin's - and I'm not going to pretend there wasn't some Eteri power going behind his scores in the first place. The least RusFed could have done is made him wait his turn. If it turns out he wasn't pushed over anyone (like if it was just Jin's choice, or CSA is being difficult), then fine. He wasn't even at senior worlds 2021, where Yan finished 13th and Kagiyama finished 2nd, who actually knows how he'd have performed there. But given how Eteri has also made sure people like Davis/Smolkin get pushed over teams that were placed higher at Nationals than those two, it's not exactly beyond the realm of possibility he was politicked into two spots.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Politics aside, his previous scores and skating was at that level so what is the problem here? Boyang finishing 22nd at Worlds yielded the result of being given one less assignment than some wildly successful Junior skaters and to me that is ok, given that Boyang has had many many chances. Its not like Daniil is some skater who finished last at Nationals and then went to Eteri and got no results but ended up at a GP event. Though if he can't back up his previous results this season, I think he will then be falling below the Kondratiuks and Danielians...

I don't know enough about dance to judge whether Davis/Smolkin are actually improving or just getting a political push or a little of both...

toddlj

It would be bad luck indeed (but not unprecedented) if Paniot was still dealing with boot issues; breaking them in, pain from new boots, etc.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Tiffani Zagorski and Jonathan Guerreiro have withdrawn from Skate America

Someone on that Twitter thread suggested Davis/Smolkin as potential replacements. Seems like a pretty likely option, or possibly Reed/Ambrulevicius. I'm trying to think of North American-based teams that wouldn't have any trouble getting to Las Vegas who would be on the alternate list already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information