Russian women news & updates, 2021-22 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobbe

JGP#5 in Ljubljana coming up! This will be a big chance for USA’s Lindsay Thorngren - winner of Courchevel1 - to make a statement, now competing against Russians Muravieva (2nd at JGP#3 with 208 total pts) & Petrosian (3rd at the same event, 201 pts), not the highest-ranked Russian jr women but, still, Russians who try Ultra-Cs. Ava Ziegler will be another prominent US competitor in Ljubljana. For the fun factor, I’m looking forward to Perky Papp of Hungary and Nina P of Belgium!

So can Muravieva & Petrosian medal at JGP#5...another Team Plush-Team Eteri showdown? Can USA’s Lindsay Thorngren raise her 181 points from her JGP#1 win and earn a JGP Finals spot? Lindsay has been trying Utra-Cs, we know.
And Samodelkina and Zinina are now listed at JGP Austria. So with Akatieva and Zhilina at JGP Poland, the Russian entries are now complete.

Tobbe

Gives them a chance to skate in front of international judges, and get feedback about the programs.
Yeah, I get that. But why not choose Challenger events instead that counts for the Seasons Best List, which is crucial for the next season (and Challengers also gives higher WS points).
And the prize money at Challengers are probably higher too.

I guess it doesn't really matter for Anna, Maiia and Alëna, they will probably score high in their GP events and get into the SB Top 24 anyway.
But Samodurova, she has only 1 GP, and she really needs to make sure she competes a lot to get into that SB24. And this event is not it.

Stephanie

With Nepela cancelled and Nebelhorn restricted to potential Olympic qualifiers or countries that competed there last year, there aren't many Challenger options that don't clash with GP's. I thought Shcherbakova and Khromykh might go to the Asian Open since it's 3 weeks before their first GP but I guess their team wanted to avoid long haul travel.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
With Nepela cancelled and Nebelhorn restricted to potential Olympic qualifiers or countries that competed there last year, there aren't many Challenger options that don't clash with GP's. I thought Shcherbakova and Khromykh might go to the Asian Open since it's 3 weeks before their first GP but I guess their team wanted to avoid long haul travel.
I am kind of thinking that the Russian women should have their own competitions. Then the rest of the world's ladies can have theirs. The Russian ladies are just in a different dimension :)

Tobbe

Guess so. I'm a bit worried why we haven't any info on that Asian Open Challenger yet. It is supposed to be an Olympic Test event. Is the quarantine restrictions too high and no one wants to go? Or will they cancel the whole event?

Without Nepela and Nebelhorn I guess it kind of explains the situation, and why they are competing in this instead. But it doesn't explain Samodurova. Why wasn't she at Autumn Classic instead of this? ...maybe it's a funding thing.

Last edited:

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Guess so. I'm a bit worried why we haven't any info on that Asian Open Challenger yet. It is suppose to be an Olympic Test event. Is the quarantine restrictions too high and no one wants to go? Or will they cancel the whole event?

Without Nepela and Nebelhorn I guess it kind of explains the situation, and why they are competing in this instead. But it doesn't explain Samodurova. Why wasn't she at Autumn Classic instead of this? ...maybe it's a funding thing.
The ISU usually publishes the initial entry lists for Challenger events 3 weeks before the event so we should see those tomorrow if the past few weeks are anything to go off of.

The fact that we HAVEN'T heard anything about it being canceled makes me believe it is, indeed, happening. It won't surprise me if we see a few of the other Russian women assigned to it.

Stephanie

The ISU usually publishes the initial entry lists for Challenger events 3 weeks before the event so we should see those tomorrow if the past few weeks are anything to go off of.

The fact that we HAVEN'T heard anything about it being canceled makes me believe it is, indeed, happening. It won't surprise me if we see a few of the other Russian women assigned to it.
Entries were due on the 10th so it does seem unusual that 10 days later the entries still haven't been published :(

Tobbe

Well I hope it happens. It would be very unprofessional of the Chinese to cancel it now.

But, I fear there will be no Russian women there I'm afraid...just my gut feeling.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Not really. Nebelhorn entries were due 8/27 and we didn't see the first competitor lists until 9/6 or 9/7. Finlandia entries were due 9/3 and we didn't see the competitor lists until 9/14. The pattern is pretty consistent in that the entries are due on the Friday 4.5 weeks before the start of the event and the ISU/event organizer spends the next week verifying the entries/payments, etc, and the publishes the competitor lists the Monday or Tuesday 3 weeks before the event.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Guess so. I'm a bit worried why we haven't any info on that Asian Open Challenger yet. It is supposed to be an Olympic Test event. Is the quarantine restrictions too high and no one wants to go? Or will they cancel the whole event?

She's lost a lot of her funding and Canada has strict visa issues at the moment. Trusova went to the US classic in part because Diana Davis was competing. Tutberidze got to see her daughter compete in an international senior event and let Trusova try the new FS in front of an international judging panel. I doubt she'd have been there otherwise. A lot of the Russian skaters are doing the Russian cup events rather than challengers to prep for the GP events.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Has ROC released their selection criteria? Do they ever? I'm wondering if there is some kind of bonus or incentive for competing frequently. It would make sense as the selection process will be so competitive the selectors need as many data points as possible.

Cherub721

YEAH!
Has ROC released their selection criteria? Do they ever? I'm wondering if there is some kind of bonus or incentive for competing frequently. It would make sense as the selection process will be so competitive the selectors need as many data points as possible.

Generally it's been the national champion being guaranteed a spot at Euros along with two others selected by committee (typically the top 3 at nationals but not always) and then final decision after Euros. I think they lean much more towards who is skating well immediately before Olympics rather than in the fall.

Tobbe

Generally it's been the national champion being guaranteed a spot at Euros along with two others selected by committee (typically the top 3 at nationals but not always) and then final decision after Euros. I think they lean much more towards who is skating well immediately before Olympics rather than in the fall.
I don't know. I remember last year the RusFed said that they have rules about who is going after Nationals, and that rule was that the top two was guaranteed and the third spot decided by the council.
Historically, they have almost always gone for the top three. The exceptions has been when someone big has been injured and couldn't attend nationals but got selected anyway. Like Medvedeva in 2018 for example.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Anybody knows how many times Trusova has attempted a triple axel in her career so far ?
I want to know the exact number ! so I can easily track her zero success ratio...

Is it really that quad jumpers have an achilles with triple axel ?
but how come Akatieva and Valieva have quads and even better triple axel success rate. :confused:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Anybody knows how many times Trusova has attempted a triple axel in her career so far ?
I want to know the exact number ! so I can easily track her zero success ratio...

Is it really that quad jumpers have an achilles with triple axel ?
but how come Akatieva and Valieva have quads and even better triple axel success rate. :confused:
Skaters are just different. Some good jumpers have difficulty with the 3Axel. For some, it is the easiest jump.

If Trusova has not yet landed a 3A in a competition, it is pointless to 'calculate' the success because zero divided by any number is still zero.

My hope is that she and her coaches will figure out a way for her to land the 3A in competitions. Sooner the better.

Bigbird

Time to simply wrap things up. The strategy should be as she had with Plushenko at the end of the last season, do everything she can do cleanly. She can overtake them all with her five quads. Go for the axel at all costs and lose all the quads? It does not make sense.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Time to simply wrap things up. The strategy should be as she had with Plushenko at the end of the last season, do everything she can do cleanly. She can overtake them all with her five quads. Go for the axel at all costs and lose all the quads? It does not make sense.
she might need to land at least one axel in a real competition to get over the mental blocks

Rika, Alena, La Tuk, Alisa, Kamila and Sofia A have all landed theirs.

Bigbird

She might tear a ligament and then what? She doesn't need to lead from the front. She just needs to stalk or taunt the competition she doesn't need to waste time trying to intimidate them.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
She might tear a ligament and then what? She doesn't need to lead from the front. She just needs to stalk or taunt the competition she doesn't need to waste time trying to intimidate them.
just saying, could be a reason shes attending this domestic russian cups just days after arriving from Norwood.
She has zero success rate with triple axel even Kihira has like 50% same with La Tuk and a bit higher from Valieva.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
It may not be mental.
bad technique ? I notice she does circle going the triple axel jump,
compare that to her peers with higher success rate like Valieva (she has firm leg landing even if off axis sometimes), Akatieva or even La Tuk (jumps from her lower body).

puglover

Did we not see a nice one in a warmup somewhere from Trusova? I know that is not the same as competition but at least next step.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information