U.S. Women [#1]: The Contenders Unmask Themselves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Excerpt from @Jayar's Mia Kalin article:
As she looks ahead to competing in Kosice, Kalin says that she will draw on her experience of competing internationally at the Asian Open in 2019, where she finished with the silver medal in the advanced novice competition.
2019 Asian Open Trophy was Isabeau Levito's first international for Team USA as well -- she won the bronze behind China's Xiangyi An (awaiting her JGP debut still) & Kalin: http://www.hksu.org/event/aofst2019/CAT005RS.HTM

ETA that I checked Kalin's Junior FS protocols for her 4T attempts in competition and came up with (most recent going back to 2021 Nationals):
Skate San Francisco (scored 115.70 in FS 1st): 4T< fall, 4Tq+2T
Skate Milwaukee Junior Cup (135.54 in FS 1st; link to protocols); 4T+2T & 4Tq; also landed 2nd half 3Lz+3T & 3F+1Eu+3S
Broadmoor Open (117.03 in FS 2nd behind Levito who had a 4T<< fall; link to protocols): 4T+2T & 4T<
Utah Skatefest FS (92.30 in FS): 4T< & 4T<+2T
2021 Nationals Junior FS (96.25 in FS 8th; link to protocols): landed 4T<

Last edited:

Maximillian

RIP TA
Trivia that I've posted before on FSU: Ava Ziegler's mom, one of her 3 listed coaches, competed at 3 U.S. Nationals in Senior as Patricia (Tricia) Mansfield - 1994, 5th in 1995 & 2002 at the age of 28.

Ava skated very well yesterday and is in 6th after the SP in Kosice (60.03):
I remember Patricia Mansfield, pretty sure she was shown on one of ABC's Nationals coverage.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
Isn't she still coached by Tom? When was the last time Tom cared about programs being ready before throwing them out?! But given his history of forcing his students to compete while injured, I am guessing Bradie's issues might be more serious than their team would let the public know.
Who did Tom force to skate injured?

Sylvia

TBD
On Ice Perspectives' latest video contains excerpts of Audrey Shin's free skate to Moonlight Sonata: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7YS7ABQWhk
Audrey Shin was confirmed officially for Skate America today via USFS' press release.
USFS has published the preliminary [JGP #7 Linz] Austria entries:

Ladies: Placeholders are Levito [likely confirmed] and Kate Wang [her 1st assignment is #4 Krasnoyarsk]
JGP #4: Maryn Pierce, Kate Wang
JGP #5: Lindsay Thorngren, TBD
JGP #6: Clare Seo, TBD
JGP #7: Isabeau Levito, Wang (both listed as provisional as of 9/3)

ETA that this was posted on Aug. 23 in the JGP thread in GSD and seems likely to me as well:
I'm guessing that Kanon [Smith] might be dealing with some sort of injury as given her results from nationals and Milwaukee she would be a no-brainer for the JGP. I'm really hoping that she'll be able to get one or two of the later assignments. Pure speculation on my part, but that's the only thing that would make sense to me.

Last edited:

Lacey

Trivia that I've posted before on FSU: Ava Ziegler's mom, one of her 3 listed coaches, competed at 3 U.S. Nationals in Senior as Patricia (Tricia) Mansfield - 1994, 5th in 1995 & 2002 at the age of 28.

Ava skated very well yesterday and is in 6th after the SP in Kosice (60.03):

Anyone out there know if Tricia Mansfield, mom of Ava Ziegler, coached outside Philly in Ardmore for a few years before she was married and had a child?

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I don't know if he 'forced' her, but as a Mirai fan, Rachael Flatt at 2011 Worlds comes to mind...
If Tom forced any skater to skate injured against their will, there should be repercussions with USFSA. In this time and culture Tom would be cancelled and exiled. Add lawsuits from the skater's parents. Flatt received punishment for 2011 Worlds as a fine, not Tom afaik. Not sure how we jump to Tom forced her to skate injured based on what happened. I'll have to look up what was reported about Joshua Farris.

edit Looked up what happened in the K&C after Joshua's long and I still don't know where anyone gets Tom, himself, forced Joshua to skate. I see a coach trying to make the best of a bad outing and encourage the skater who is obviously upset. When Mirai fell on her knee at Nationals after clipping the board and had a bleeding knee he motioned for her to go out there and bow to the judges/crowd instead of just coming off the ice defeated. Did Mirai leave him the next season? No.

Last edited:

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
If Tom forced any skater to skate injured against their will there should be repercussions with USFSA. Flatt received punishment for 2011 Worlds as a fine, not Tom afaik. Not sure how we jump to Tom forced her to skate injured based on what happened.

I thought she just wasn’t being forthcoming about an injury… Not so much being forced to skate…

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I do member that skate, too. It truly was captivating.. A pure talent and charisma. Unfortunately, truly talented ones usually need someone who is able to give them, as to say, a background; who helps to keep them grounded "on earth"... hard workers and with an average talent most of the time go further than talented ones...
I disagree. Nicole, IMO, fell in the category of being able to rely on her raw talent to a point. But raw talent will only take you so far. At some point, it requires discipline and hard work. Ask Michelle, Sasha, etc.

Willin

If Tom forced any skater to skate injured against their will, there should be repercussions with USFSA. In this time and culture Tom would be cancelled and exiled. Add lawsuits from the skater's parents. Flatt received punishment for 2011 Worlds as a fine, not Tom afaik. Not sure how we jump to Tom forced her to skate injured based on what happened. I'll have to look up what was reported about Joshua Farris.

edit Looked up what happened in the K&C after Joshua's long and I still don't know where anyone gets Tom, himself, forced Joshua to skate. I see a coach trying to make the best of a bad outing and encourage the skater who is obviously upset. When Mirai fell on her knee at Nationals after clipping the board and had a bleeding knee he motioned for her to go out there and bow to the judges/crowd instead of just coming off the ice defeated. Did Mirai leave him the next season? No.
Lol I agree that Tom doesn't straight up force skaters to skate, but this part is just naive. They LOVE Tom compared to other coaches with similar results. He could get away with whatever the heck he wanted to short of criminal activity - but then again given how many people USFS has let get away with sexual misconduct... (including Dalilah Sappenfield - as close to them as Tom)

AxelAnnie

What is the supporting information about Bradie? Is she really injured? Has she said?

I feel so bad for all these skaters. An entire quadriennial may just fade away. And these men and women have worked so hard to realize their dream----the Olympics.

Last edited:

Vagabond

edit Looked up what happened in the K&C after Joshua's long and I still don't know where anyone gets Tom, himself, forced Joshua to skate.
From their conversation.

Zakrajsek: Aren't you glad you did?
Farris: [In tears] No!

Whether or not "forced" is the right word, the conversation suggests to me that Zakrajsek applied heavy pressure to get Farris to compete when, in retrospect, the right thing to do would have been either to let Farris make the decision himself or (better) to have told him not to compete.

Yes, there should be repercussions, but it's not that easy for a sixteen-year-old to stand up for himself and report a prominent coach to the USFSA about something like this. As it was, Farris switched coaches. So too did Rachael Flat.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Very impressed with Ava Marie Ziegler at JGP Kosice this weekend.

She did a terrific job interpreting the music (Gravity by Sara Bareilles). The program flew by for me, probably because she punctuated it with so many lovely spread eagles and ina bauers. Sometimes music like this is background music in skating, but she took her time with and made it authentic and meaningful.

I hope she gets a second event and would love to see her skate seniors at nationals—I think she could do quite well there.

Last edited:

layman

Mia Kalin moved up from 10th place after the SP to 7th in the Free and Overall. This was her first Junior Grand Prix (possibly first Junior competition) and she has a lot of room for improvement.

Her opening 4-toe/2-toe combo was called clean but from then on, it was a carrot-fest. Mia seems to often land (her jumps) with a stiff knee (and off-axis) and her under-rotations are visible to the naked eye. She looks down at the ice too much (which can't help). I hope her team address her lack of spring and help her soften her knee positions.

radcliffe96

Mia did a freeskate with 2 quad attempts, one in combo... two triple triples and two solo triples.

4T+2T with +GOE
3Lz+3T with +GOE

It's clear she is just beginning to scratch the surface of her potential to achieve very high scores over time. Lots to work on but seems like great capacity for growth!!!

Great job to Ava for a clean skate and higher PCS though lower tech content.

AxelAnnie

Very impressed with Ava Marie Ziegler at JGP Kosice this weekend.

She did a terrific job interpreting the music (Gravity by Sara Bareilles). The program flew by for me, probably because she punctuated it with so many lovely spread eagles and ina bauers. Sometimes music like this is background music in skating, but she took her time with and made it authentic and meaningful.

I hope she gets a second event and would love to see her skate seniors at nationals—I think she could do quite well there.
She is quite lovely. Choice of music and costume great.

Question: What is the odd thing she does with one arm when she pulls in for her jumps? It goes up like she is going to find a strap to hold on to and then she brings it down. Not very attractive IMO.
Spread eagles....gorgeous.
Looks like she is fast across the ice...but also like she is rushing. Hopefully she will add a bit more of what Carolina Costner learned. The in betweens are as important as the jumps.

Gosh...sounds like I know what I am talking about.

Lastly is she related to the Socal Zeiglers? Boy I enjoyed them.

Maximillian

RIP TA
She is quite lovely. Choice of music and costume great.

Question: What is the odd thing she does with one arm when she pulls in for her jumps? It goes up like she is going to find a strap to hold on to and then she brings it down. Not very attractive IMO.
Spread eagles....gorgeous.
Looks like she is fast across the ice...but also like she is rushing. Hopefully she will add a bit more of what Carolina Costner learned. The in betweens are as important as the jumps.

Gosh...sounds like I know what I am talking about.

Lastly is she related to the Socal Zeiglers? Boy I enjoyed them.
Do you mean the Stieglers?

bladesofgorey

Great job by Ava. When she doesn't lose focus she is an extremely natural performer who intuitively expresses the music through movement- when she's "on" she's definitely one of the most expressive skaters we have (and most mature- she skates years above her true age) and makes every movement seem unforced and organic. So nice to have her skate cleanly here and fully deliver the programs the way I've seen her do in practice. She's a very physically strong athlete and as some people have asked in the thread: yes, she is a fast skater and gets excellent ice coverage. Her mom was a powerhouse as well here's a clip of her 1995 Nationals FS (fun fact, I was there and saw this in person it turns out): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1LsqEZ3W3c

Lacey

Anyone out there know if Tricia Mansfield, mom of Ava Ziegler, coached outside Philly in Ardmore for a few years before she was married and had a child?
Ya, just watched her competition video, Diane Aigle (sp?) choreographed at least her long--a very strong and different program, that was Tricia, she was later a great coach and very very nice person too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information