Chinese Skating News, Pt. 3: A long & winding road to Beijing 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spun Silver

Xiaoyu Yu has formally announced her retirement.

Best wishes, Xiaoyu!

ETA: Translation of Xiaoyu’s post:

To all the FS fans and friends who have supported me along the way, here I’ll announce something that would disappoint you: I submitted my formal application for retirement not so long ago.

Perhaps this will confuse or disappoint many, but this is a decision I made after thoughtful consideration. As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. Life is like a chain of choices and I have no regret in my journey and every choice I’ve made. There is no ‘if’ in real life and everyone must adapt to circumstances.

For me, the most important thing now is heading into the future. Over these years, I’ve learned to accept my weaknesses. My understandings of figure skating, beauty and art have deepened and they shaped a new me. Although it’s a pity that I haven’t showed my best to you in competitions, it’s not something I can do on my own. But I believe that, as long as I don’t give up and continue to improve, this desire in my heart will be fulfilled one day. There must be new chances in the future.

This choice is an opportunity for me, a new start point in life. I’ll be involved in figure skating in different ways to bring you new joy and surprise in the future. Here I thank you for being with me for so many years.
Oh, what might have been! I wish her everything good in the years to come.

Sylvia

TBD
Copied from the ISU Worlds Quick Quotes documents re. Han Yan (parts I liked bolded below):

After the SP:
I made a little mistake today. But for me it’s normal, because I haven’t competed at the World Championships for many many years, maybe 3 or 4 years (since 2016). Thus the biggest challenge for me is to keep a good condition as well as my mindset.
(on coming back to the World Championships after many years) I just want to show everyone that I’m still here. I’m still skating. I’m not giving up. This is my goal for this championship. Otherwise, I didn’t feel much difference. As an experienced skater, my mindset is more mature, but I need to improve my physical condition.
(on including a quad toe loop inthe Free Skating) Yes we’re considering that. I started to prepare for the Championship two months ago. Compared to all the competitions all these years, I prepared the most this time. I keep practicing my quads but it depends on the situation to decide whether I do it or not in the free. If I do not do quads, it may affect my ranking. But it doesn’t matter to me because what I’m trying to express with my performance is different.

After the FS:
I feel good. Though I made a mistake, I’m satisfied. I expressed what I want to express, that is enough for me. I wish me doing this (not doing quads) can show everyone there are different kinds of beauty in figure skating, not only jumps. I hope I did my contribution to make younger skaters realize that. Only in this way can men’s skating in China become better.
(on pressure for the Olympics spots) No, I didn’t have any pressure. I’m here to perform. I’m here only for myself. It’s too big to talk about representing the country. As a skater, of course I represent my country, so we do not need to reiterate that. I’m here to represent myself.
(on programs for the next season) Nothing has been settled. Because there are so many pieces I want to try. Hopefully I can try them in the future performances, or luckily in competitions.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Of course it doesn't matter now, but it drives me crazy that Yan has such a great 3A, worthy of huge GOE, and he only put one in the LP. He got ! calls on both of his 3F which of course drove down the GOE. He really wasn't that close to 12th (7 points off), but just the little things that I know he could've done..

Marco

Of course it doesn't matter now, but it drives me crazy that Yan has such a great 3A, worthy of huge GOE, and he only put one in the LP. He got ! calls on both of his 3F which of course drove down the GOE. He really wasn't that close to 12th (7 points off), but just the little things that I know he could've done..
And 2 spins losing levels

Sylvia

TBD
From April 2nd:
https://m.weibo.cn/2741408621/4621592683088201

Xiaoyu Yu has formally announced her retirement.

Best wishes, Xiaoyu!

ETA: Translation of Xiaoyu’s post:

To all the FS fans and friends who have supported me along the way, here I’ll announce something that would disappoint you: I submitted my formal application for retirement not so long ago.

Perhaps this will confuse or disappoint many, but this is a decision I made after thoughtful consideration. As the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. Life is like a chain of choices and I have no regret in my journey and every choice I’ve made. There is no ‘if’ in real life and everyone must adapt to circumstances.

For me, the most important thing now is heading into the future. Over these years, I’ve learned to accept my weaknesses. My understandings of figure skating, beauty and art have deepened and they shaped a new me. Although it’s a pity that I haven’t showed my best to you in competitions, it’s not something I can do on my own. But I believe that, as long as I don’t give up and continue to improve, this desire in my heart will be fulfilled one day. There must be new chances in the future.

This choice is an opportunity for me, a new start point in life. I’ll be involved in figure skating in different ways to bring you new joy and surprise in the future. Here I thank you for being with me for so many years.
YU Xiaoyu is in Blackpool, England rehearsing for the "Hot ice Euphoria" show that is scheduled to run from July 8-September 11, 2021 - her Instagram photos: https://www.instagram.com/p/CQaw25Gp144/ & https://www.instagram.com/p/CPtmmWVJPro/

She's in the middle of the 3rd row in this cast photo (group includes 2 other 2018 Olympians - Larkyn Austman & Felipe Montoya): https://twitter.com/HotIceShow/status/1406939426991841282

Info about the show at the Blackpool Pleasure Beach Arena in Lancashire, North West England:

IFS article about ZHANG Hao's retirement (May 24): https://www.ifsmagazine.com/zhang-hao-hangs-up-his-skates/

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Bin Yao has come out of retirement to coach the national team again.

In the third last paragraph of this news posted on General Administration of Sport of China's website, he is referred to as the Head Coach and Team Leader of the national training team of Singles and Ice Dance.

Last edited:

greenapple

Bin Yao has come out of retirement to coach the national team again.

In the third last paragraph of this news posted on General Administration of Sport of China's website, he is referred to as the Head Coach and Team Leader of the national training team of Singles and Ice Dance.
That would be the best news the Chinese Skating team has probably heard in a very long time. I so hope this change will be a positive one for Han Yan and that he will now be treated with the respect he deserves.

Last edited:

greenapple

As no mention was made of that discipline in that government release, it would seem probable that Zhou is still in charge of the pairs teams.

Marco

That would be the best news the Chinese Skating team has probably heard in a very long time. I so hope this change will be a positive one for Han Yan and that he will now be treated with the respect he deserves.
I hope this means he is all well and no longer bothered by the health issues that plagued the latter years of his coaching career, instead of being dragged out of retirement to prep the national team for the Beijing Olympics against his will and health concerns.

I do wonder if this is too little too late because his expertise was always in pairs; and I doubt he would be able to turn around the ladies and dance situation in such short time given the limited talent available and their lack of sharp international accomplishments. The men are down to one spot, so unless Yan Han suddenly (re)gains his quads over the summer, I doubt he can make it over Jin Boyang with 3-4 quads.

Now if Yao Bin is setting his sight beyond Beijing onto 2026 and even 2030, it is high time they start to seriously screen talents and give them the resources they need. There are simply not enough top singles and dance coach in China let alone choreographers and what not.

Colonel Green

I do wonder if this is too little too late because his expertise was always in pairs; and I doubt he would be able to turn around the ladies and dance situation in such short time given the limited talent available and their lack of sharp international accomplishments. The men are down to one spot, so unless Yan Han suddenly (re)gains his quads over the summer, I doubt he can make it over Jin Boyang with 3-4 quads.
Does dance really need to be turned around? Wang & Liu have been developing nicely under I.A.M. guidance.

Marco

Does dance really need to be turned around? Wang & Liu have been developing nicely under I.A.M. guidance.
My understanding is they really want a team medal at the Beijing Olympics. At this stage I doubt ladies and dance can help that course.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
My understanding is they really want a team medal at the Beijing Olympics. At this stage I doubt ladies and dance can help that course.
China has an excellent dance team, Wang/Liu...scored hits with Chaplin & Black Swan programs recently. I love them.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I agree.
China has an excellent dance team, Wang/Liu...scored hits with Chaplin & Black Swan programs recently. I love them.
Wang/Liu are a good team, but for the team event, they aren't going to finish ahead of the teams the US, Russia, Canada, Italy, France & Great Britain (who are all likely to qualify) put on the ice in the RD, which is going to hurt in the overall standings.

And then, their points in the other events start to matter. Even if Team China manages to make it to the FS/FD portion of the team event, they're still looking at 4th place finish at best from W/L in the FD. It's hard to say how much Japan can take advantage of their far stronger singles skaters to make up the difference in dance and pairs placements in both portions, but Team Japan is helped by the fact that they'll only lose 1 point in the FD portion (assuming their team finishes 5th to China's 4th).

Jammers

A year ago i was thinking China was the favorite for the Bronze medal at the Olympics especially with them being at home but with Jin declining and Japan now having a decent Pairs team i think Japan is the team to beat for Bronze.

skatingguy

decently
A year ago i was thinking China was the favorite for the Bronze medal at the Olympics especially with them being at home but with Jin declining and Japan now having a decent Pairs team i think Japan is the team to beat for Bronze.
It's pretty close between Canada & Japan.

Sylvia

TBD
GSD thread for the 2022 team event in which we can speculate/discuss :): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/2022-olympic-team-event.106941/

It's too bad China pulled out of WTT this past April because I would have liked to have seen Ashley Lin get the chance to make her international debut for China. She and Hongyi Chen were very close in the virtual skate-off China had for the 2021 Worlds spot.

greenapple

A fun English interview with Chen Lu that includes her 12-year-old daughter Anastasia Petrova.

livetoskate

A fun English interview with Chen Lu that includes her 12-year-old daughter Anastasia Petrova.

Thanks for this info. So strange to see her now as someone in her 40s. It's great to see her & her daughter.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Xiangyi An's fanpage posted an update on July 19:

She had surgery to remove a fibroma in her right hand. The surgery and recovery went well but she couldn't do jumps as of that day. It would take 1 month to fully recover. During the recovery time she passed the middle school graduation exams of biology, geography and information technology.

Both of her SP and FS will be choreographed by Richaud again but it's uncertain whether she will use them this season. Her gala program will be Giselle choreographed by Genrikh Srentenski. Here are clips of this program.

She hadn't been vaccinated or notified to take part in any competition (as of July 19, of course).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information