2021-22 ISU Grand Prix assignments announced

VGThuy

I am very hesitant to get on the Karen Chen Express. I really thought when she first burst onto the Nationals scene and won a bronze that she would be HUGE and competitive with the Russians. Then she was on the way with her fourth place at Worlds leading up to the Olympics and I thought she'd be a threat for a medal. And THEN..... excuses, poor performances, more excuses. I love her skating, but I made my mistake the first time. I don't or can't have any confidence in Karen. Sadly.
That’s not the point though. Someone said Mariah deserved an Olympic spot over Karen even if Mariah placed below Karen at Nationals. The season hasn’t started yet, so what makes Mariah at the moment more deserving to go to the Olympics? Karen, as volatile as she is, placed 4th at Worlds. That’s a big deal.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Also didn't realize it's the other host-countries who have some/all say in who gets assigned their site.
And sometimes, they don't have a say: there's a selection order by draw among the Feds, like a draft order (without being able to formally trade round picks). All of the members of each selection group have to be assigned before the hosts can start on the next group, starting with host selections (where there can be TBAs). If you're the last host to pick, and there's only one skater in group 7-9 without a second assignment, then you get that skater, unless it violates another rule (like three-max-per-country rule). Or the host that picked before you couldn't take the last skater in a group because they already had three from that country, and you need to take that skater, which could mean having to choose a stronger skater/team than you'd hoped for. Plus there's some also unwritten, but widely accepted rule that a Fed can nix an assignment of one of their skaters/teams for back-to-back assignments, especially those with considerable travel demands.

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
That’s not the point though. Someone said Mariah deserved an Olympic spot over Karen even if Mariah placed below Karen at Nationals. The season hasn’t started yet, so what makes Mariah at the moment more deserving to go to the Olympics? Karen, as volatile as she is, placed 4th at Worlds. That’s a big deal.
I agree with you, for sure. In fact, I think Mariah should be the last person of the top to be on the Olympic Team. Karen is by far a better skater, it's just the 'competitor side' Karen could improve upon (placing 4th at Worlds twice shows she has a competitive instinct in there). I see the team already as Alysa and Bradie. I know I shouldn't let skaters "rest on their laurels", but Alysa is twice national champion and Bradie the reigning National champ and they have both done their part for reviving/continuing interest in USFS over the last four years. So the last spot is between Amber, Karen, and then Mariah. And who knows what new girl from juniors will arrive at Nationals this year. I want Amber, because I don't see Karen with ultra-c or clean 3/3, and Amber can at least go for it, it's not like either of them are medal threats.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I do think medals are important; they bolster reputation of a federation. Mariah and Brady have shown they can produce. Let's hope Karen's luck can change. What's a fair expectation for Amber?
I think Karen has shown she can produce, though she doesn't have any medals to show for it. Two 4th place finishes at Worlds, 4 years apart, are nothing to sneeze at. And last year's 4th place at Worlds is going to earn her a fair bit of credibility with the federation since without it we wouldn't have qualified 3 ladies for the Olympics.
I am very hesitant to get on the Karen Chen Express. I really thought when she first burst onto the Nationals scene and won a bronze that she would be HUGE and competitive with the Russians. Then she was on the way with her fourth place at Worlds leading up to the Olympics and I thought she'd be a threat for a medal. And THEN..... excuses, poor performances, more excuses. I love her skating, but I made my mistake the first time. I don't or can't have any confidence in Karen. Sadly.
And look where the Russian ladies who she was competitive with when she burst on the Nationals scene are... Apart from Liza T none of them are on the GP representing Russia this year. Like Bradie, Karen came at us with a technical arsenal that was competitive with her Russian and Japanese peers but each successive crop of Russian girls have added 3As and quads to their jump arsenals. It's a big ask to expect every single woman to be like Liza and add a 3A or quad just to remain competitive.

MsZem

I see the sea
I'll never understand why the US ladies are so interesting to people. Personally I'd rather see more OES getting assignments, across all disciplines.

With that in mind, I'm surprised that Jones/Boyadji got one and the Israelis didn't. Unless Krasnopolski has split with yet another partner?

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I'll never understand why the US ladies are so interesting to people. Personally I'd rather see more OES getting assignments, across all disciplines.

With that in mind, I'm surprised that Jones/Boyadji got one and the Israelis didn't. Unless Krasnopolski has split with yet another partner?
Yes, more Olgas and Leeonas!!! I also like Mete. And Kurakova. And Safonova, and now Gracheva. Shabotova. You name it!!!

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
I wish all those Russian skaters who will never see the light of day at an international would move to another country. Gubanova, Samodurova, Gulyakova, Tsibinova, Tarakanova, Nugumanova, etc. If someone has the talent, they shouldn't be held back on the international stage just because their country is TOO talented.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
We have the US Women we have. The have their inconsistencies and their vulnerabilities, depending on the technical panel, which their protocols show.

Since 2018, the top or only two American Women made the Top 10 in every Worlds, and the lowest the third Woman placed was 12th. Chen's 4th is the highest placements US Women have had in this Olympic cycle, with Tennell coming in 6th (2018) and 7th (2019) as the top-placing US Woman. Since 2011 (to count the last ten Worlds), Chen's two 4ths (2017, 2021) are comparable to Gold's (2015, 2016), only surpassed by Wagner's silver (2016) and 4th (2012). She was also less than a point out of 10th place in PyeongChang.

SkateFanBerlin

I think Karen has shown she can produce, though she doesn't have any medals to show for it. Two 4th place finishes at Worlds, 4 years apart, are nothing to sneeze at. And last year's 4th place at Worlds is going to earn her a fair bit of credibility with the federation since without it we wouldn't have qualified 3 ladies for the Olympics.

And look where the Russian ladies who she was competitive with when she burst on the Nationals scene are... Apart from Liza T none of them are on the GP representing Russia this year. Like Bradie, Karen came at us with a technical arsenal that was competitive with her Russian and Japanese peers but each successive crop of Russian girls have added 3As and quads to their jump arsenals. It's a big ask to expect every single woman to be like Liza and add a 3A or quad just to remain competitive.
With the 3rd spot depending on Nebelhorn, right? Not Karen's issue, but just saying...

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
With the 3rd spot depending on Nebelhorn, right? Not Karen's issue, but just saying...
This is where I think Alysa should be the one to go to Nebelhorn. Even without ultra-c you can depend on her landing everything else, get those 3/3s into the second half. I could see Mariah Bell not being clean or not having clean reliable 3/3s (well yeah, that's all she does really). Let Alysa go, and start her senior career off with a win and start the momentum early. Then it's also "her spot" in my mind. Karen made it possible to compete for a third spot, but Alysa would have 'won' that third spot is my reasoning.

SkateFanBerlin

I said it and I'm sticking with my story. Of course, season has not started. Based on the past I would say Mariah is more likely to be on a GP podium than Karen. If that happened and Karen was ahead of Mariah at nationals it would not be an easy call for USFS.

SkateFanBerlin

This is where I think Alysa should be the one to go to Nebelhorn. Even without ultra-c you can depend on her landing everything else, get those 3/3s into the second half. I could see Mariah Bell not being clean or not having clean reliable 3/3s (well yeah, that's all she does really). Let Alysa go, and start her senior career off with a win and start the momentum early. Then it's also "her spot" in my mind. Karen made it possible to compete for a third spot, but Alysa would have 'won' that third spot is my reasoning.
We really haven't seen her since nationals. As I recall she wasn't skating that well last year until nationals. Would like to see her in a club competition this summer. What is ultra-c?

ЭPiKUilyam

Banned Member
We really haven't seen her since nationals. As I recall she wasn't skating that well last year until nationals. Would like to see her in a club competition this summer. What is ultra-c?
Ultra-C just refers to a difficult element. Like a 3axel or a quad. Someone recently posted a Wiki that further describes it.

skatfan

I miss being able to talk about US ladies in terms of being medal threats. Not just so-and-so plus so-and-so could equal sending three skaters to the Olympics.
Well, anybody except the Russians are on the outside right now, so we have plenty of company around the world. I hope for pretty clean skates for our US ladies - that would make me very happy.

VGThuy

This is actually the first time I've seen it used, but I'm not part of Skating Twitter or social media, so maybe that's why. Even though I'm a gymnastics fan, I never heard the term "ultra-C" until I just looked it up.

VGThuy

It’s been used forever in the google-translated Russian skating articles I’ve seen.
Define "forever". I haven't really read Russian skating articles in the past few years because I stopped closely paying attention to ladies. In Russian articles I've read about ice dance and pairs and even some men, I haven't seen it used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information