Skate Canada Names 2021 World Championships Team

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I wonder who the reserves are because with the potential for positive tests, we may see a record # of reserves get to compete this year.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Does she? None of her students have really done anything. They tend to flatline. I worry about Bausback if she stays with McLeod

I agree that it doesn't matter who amount are women go. The result will be the same.
With the only caveat being if none of them place high enough to get an initial entry and it has to be attempted later this year. I’m not keeping close track of additional entries, but it certainly has to be over 40 at this point and possibly even more after any video monitoring. That’s near 20 ladies out of the running immediately after the SP.

Judy

Being American has its privileges. :cool:

Of course, if you'd like to send back Piper Gilles, Kaitlyn Weaver, and Keegan Messing, we'll manage to find room for them. :saint:
Other than a certain Mrs. :mitchell: , we Americans are only too happy to take in immigrants. :)
Lol. Does anyone know how it works with a country losing the hosting of worlds? Will they try and give it back to them at some point? Tokyo lost worlds.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
So Skate Canada is sending someone who finished 8th at Challenge to Worlds? I know SC doesn't have many options but why not Daleman or even Schumacher?
Likely because she is the current Canadian champion and the challenge she already had a bye for and like Nam and others it was an opportunity for feedback early in the season. The key was the monitoring that has been going on recently as opposed to in November. Would be my guess..

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
I dunno, Basuback must have really stunned in monitoring because I think they’ve just made their quest to potentially keep two spots even more difficult. I’d love to be surprised, but....

Im pleased with the ladies team. Cant wait to see what Madeline can bring! She shoulda been higher at Nats last year if ya ask me.

What are Gilles & Hot Stuff skating to?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Does she? None of her students have really done anything. They tend to flatline. I worry about Bausback if she stays with McLeod

I agree that it doesn't matter who amount are women go. The result will be the same.

She's coached skaters who have gone to the Worlds, Olympics, GP events, and nationals. And the "Champs International Skating Centre" that she runs, and was recruited to run, was initially set up and funded by Skate Canada. (The Skate Canada BC/YK section office is literally right upstairs from the rink.)

So, yes, she has pull. I agree, though, that her skaters tend to have great successes and then flatline.

Erin

Banned Member
Yeah, my comment wasn't an endorsement that McLeod should have pull. I can't think of a single student she has coached who hasn't had issues (to varying degrees) with jump technique, basic skating, and consistency. But for whatever reason, it's evident by the way Skate Canada treats her athletes that she still does have pull, regardless of my opinion of whether she should.

Anyway, I do agree with the general consensus that Canadian ladies are unlikely to end up with two spots in any event, although good for them if they prove me wrong. And on a more positive note, my comments about some of the McLeod technique and consistency issues aside, I did really enjoy Emily's skate at Canadians last year.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

That was only after Skate Canada begged and pleaded Osmond and Rochette into coming back.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

I was talking about all categories
Outside of ladies, the other categories all have pretty defined groups of people worth sending based on their histories. Dance and pairs, especially (though since they all train in a handful of places, you could technically monitor most of them even if you were just focusing on a handful).

barbarafan

Outside of ladies, the other categories all have pretty defined groups of people worth sending based on their histories. Dance and pairs, especially (though since they all train in a handful of places, you could technically monitor most of them even if you were just focusing on a handful).
fair is fair

Colonel Green

Well that is the catch....If anyone is better now than former whatever placers then they should be going.
Monitoring is useful, but it doesn't completely override skaters' overall histories and in particular their competitive track record. I don't care how Nicolas Nadeau looks in training right now, the federation would (and should) never send him to Worlds based on his past few seasons. Ice dance, of course, has a pretty inflexible hierarchy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information