PAIR
Kirsten Moore-Towers / Michael Marinaro
Evelyn Walsh / Trennt Michaud
ICE DANCE
Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier
Laurence Fournier Beaudry / Nikolaj Sorensen
Marjorie Lajoie / Zachary Lagha

Colonel Green

I dunno, Basuback must have really stunned in monitoring because I think they’ve just made their quest to potentially keep two spots even more difficult. I’d love to be surprised, but....
I think they know that’s a write off.

That said, I’m surprised. I guess if they felt the stakes were low they might as well pay off that previous national title.

honey

Yeah, the Bausback choice looks :confused:, but I guess the thing to remember is that we don’t know what monitoring looked like. Maybe she has made some significant strides since December. Or maybe Schumacher had another meltdown. Hard to say without knowing what went down with those monitoring sessions.
I tend to agree though with the thinking that this is likely to be a write off anyway, so does it really matter who goes.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
i think Buasbeck is a decent choice to get the experience at senior level. She did well on the junior circuit with the international judges and is the current Canadian champion. Great that Maddie is going. I’m good with all the team picks.

puglover

After a most disappointing and sad chapter in the history of skating in Canada, including the cancellation of a home worlds, WE HAVE OUR TEAM!! I say - GO GET EM!! We are proud of your perseverance, hard work regardless of less than ideal conditions, your adaptability and hanging on through so much uncertainty. I will cheer my head off for each one of you!!

Last edited:

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
So Skate Canada is sending someone who finished 8th at Challenge to Worlds? I know SC doesn't have many options but why not Daleman or even Schumacher?
They were definitely part of the consideration as far as monitoring. If SC really does think there's no chance at someone (probably Daleman would have the best shot if she was in good competitive condition) finishing top 12, then they very well may have decided just to honor the 2020 results and give Bausback the opportunity as suggested upthread.

But Emily is in the same boat as Roman and Nam were: no one knew that Challenge would be the last national competition. She didn't have to worry about qualifying, and the motivation may not have been there for whatever reason as it may be in a real serious competitive situation. I still think she's going to be one of those skaters really hit by super-analyzed rotations and low PCS, though. Having said that, I would think something must have been above and beyond for Bausback to be sent, such as 3+3 consistency or a full range of triples.

olympic

How does this track with the 2020 Worlds picks. It looks similar. Sorry, but too lazy to look it up myself ... ;)

Colonel Green

How does this track with the 2020 Worlds picks. It looks similar. Sorry, but too lazy to look it up myself ... ;)
Pairs and dance are the same as originally made (Laurence & Nikolaj subsequently had to withdraw), men and ladies are mostly different (Keegan instead of Nam, Madeline instead of Alicia).

Braulio

Tuning up my Body of Work
I think Canada will be and will get in terms of places/olympic quotas (if they use worlds as qualifier)

• top 10 with Keegan (2 spots)
  • Top 10 with Moore Towers/Marinaro (2 spots)
  • Top 16 for Ladies (1 spot)
  • 2 couples in the ice dance in top 10 and could get the magic number 13 to keep 3 spots

I think this team is the best they can afford right now

dramagrrl

Also surprised at the choice of Bausback, but as many have already said, the chance of getting more than one slot in the ladies division is almost nil, so it doesn't matter that much.

Sonata

The logic of sending Bausback due to her being national champion/made last year’s world team is inconsistent with sending Messing, who is not the national champion and did not make the world team last year. He basically lives and trains in the US, was able to go to an ISU GP event because of that, did not have to deal with more severe Canadian restrictions, and now gets to represent Canada over those who are actually living and raised in Canada. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, I just don’t agree with this pick. I suppose they are really banking on him making top 10. But then conversely, if SC is using this type of logic, why send Bausback? Compared to Schumacher and Daleman, she has less a chance of helping the women keep two spots IMO. I’m disappointed by these picks, and they are inconsistent in their logic. Unless SC is telling us that Bausback hit it out of the park during monitoring.

tony

The logic of sending Bausback due to her being national champion/made last year’s world team is inconsistent with sending Messing, who is not the national champion and did not make the world team last year. He basically lives and trains in the US, was able to go to an ISU GP event because of that, did not have to deal with more severe Canadian restrictions, and now gets to represent Canada over those who are actually living and raised in Canada. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, I just don’t agree with this pick. I suppose they are really banking on him making top 10. But then conversely, if SC is using this type of logic, why send Bausback? Compared to Schumacher and Daleman, she has less a chance of helping the women keep two spots IMO. I’m disappointed by these picks.
Simple enough: ladies aren't likely to finish top 12 and therefore their placements don't (really) matter. One of the men needs to finish top 10 or two really decent men, potentially 3 by Nationals next year, are sitting home.

I am not sure that I understand the argument of it being unfair for Keegan because he was born in the States, which you decided to throw in. Everyone has had some kind of restrictions this year. Nam and Roman were in a no-pressure situation at Challenge because their result really didn't matter. If the monitoring swayed towards Keegan being the best chance, then there it is. No different than Roman not getting the Worlds pick last year after completely bombing 4CC.

Sonata

Simple enough: ladies aren't likely to finish top 12 and therefore their placements don't (really) matter. One of the men needs to finish top 10 or two really decent men, potentially 3 by Nationals next year, are sitting home.
Personally I would have preferred they give the second spot to Schumacher for experience. Not sure of the logic with Bausback, her skating skills really need work, but maybe they’re belatedly rewarding her for last year’s championships.

Marco

If all of Bausback, Daleman and Schumacher did poorly at monitoring, I suppose the only logical option is to pick the reigning Champion... Another option, tho less logical, is that since it was Daleman who placed high enough at 2019 Worlds to retain 2 spots for Canadian ladies, she should get that 2nd spot behind Schizas now that spots for next year are not really on the line.

I doubt retaining 2 spots for next year is likely at all so I hope Schizas enjoys her debut (and is not blamed for the virtually inevitable fate).

Last edited:

tony

Personally I would have preferred they give the second spot to Schumacher for experience. Not sure of the logic with Bausback, her skating skills really need work, but maybe they’re belatedly rewarding her for last year’s championships.
I don't disagree that Emily being chosen is odd to me (and I think everyone else), and part of me wishes Skate Canada would've turned this into a production for all to see rather than having a selection committee be the only ones to watch. However, since it may be likely that Bausback was able to blow the other women away, maybe it's better off that we didn't see it all play out.

greenapple

Bausback and Schizas must have skated well in their monitoring sessions to be selected while others who were in contention did not.

Given that Skate Canada did not give Sadovsky - the reigning men's champion - the spot, it would stand to reason Bausback also did not get the nod simply because she is also a reigning champion.

Whatever happened behind the scenes - I hope they all skate lights out in Stockholm.

euterpe

The logic of sending Bausback due to her being national champion/made last year’s world team is inconsistent with sending Messing, who is not the national champion and did not make the world team last year. He basically lives and trains in the US, was able to go to an ISU GP event because of that, did not have to deal with more severe Canadian restrictions, and now gets to represent Canada over those who are actually living and raised in Canada. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, I just don’t agree with this pick. I suppose they are really banking on him making top 10. But then conversely, if SC is using this type of logic, why send Bausback? Compared to Schumacher and Daleman, she has less a chance of helping the women keep two spots IMO. I’m disappointed by these picks, and they are inconsistent in their logic. Unless SC is telling us that Bausback hit it out of the park during monitoring.
Keegan has Canadian citizenship through his grandmother, and he has been representing Canada quite well for the past 7 years. When Keegan switched from the US to Canada, Skate Canada knew that he would continue to live and train in Alaska. That should not make him less 'eligible' than skaters living and training in Canada, as Keegan has the best and most consistent performance record of the 3 top Canadian men.

I don't think Canada will keep 2 ladies spots no matter who goes to Worlds 21. Bausback apparently got the nod because her monitoring sessions were technically superior to the other ladies. Emily's presentation skills are not that great, but then neither are Alison's. Gabby's presentation is far above theirs, but she still doesn't have a consistent 3/3, and her lutz is unreliable.

Vagabond

He basically lives and trains in the US, was able to go to an ISU GP event because of that, did not have to deal with more severe Canadian restrictions, and now gets to represent Canada over those who are actually living and raised in Canada.
Being American has its privileges. :cool:

Of course, if you'd like to send back Piper Gilles, Kaitlyn Weaver, and Keegan Messing, we'll manage to find room for them. :saint:

Last edited:

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
I think Canada will be and will get in terms of places/olympic quotas (if they use worlds as qualifier)

• top 10 with Keegan (2 spots)
  • Top 10 with Moore Towers/Marinaro (2 spots)
  • Top 16 for Ladies (1 spot)
  • 2 couples in the ice dance in top 10 and could get the magic number 13 to keep 3 spots

I think this team is the best they can afford right now
If Messing does finish Top 10, Canada will need to send someone else to Nebelhorn Trophy to secure the second spot for Olympics as per the new qualifying rules.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information