From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrynight

I just heard (listening to TSL) that Medvedeva is in hospital with 'rona. Is that true? They are also saying that Eteri has/had it. Is that true?

Bigbird

I just heard (listening to TSL) that Medvedeva is in hospital with 'rona. Is that true? They are also saying that Eteri has/had it. Is that true?
We will know soon enough. Things are not easy with XYZ in Moscow. In truth holding this competition with spectators was spectacularly reckless. If the same obtains for Nationals the consequences could be dire for the federation.

Scott512

Alena has yet to go back to her best form though, we can see that she had 2 UR calls (which were fair anyway) and by the end of her program she was really out of steam, her last spins were laboured. But overall she did better than her first competition of the season so there is hope. At her best, I do not see anyone beating Alyona in term of quality and PCS.
Trusova though, I just hope she is not injured.
I'm a little concerned about aliona not having her triple axle back yet. Not close to last year's form but still very good obviously.

as for Sasha I thought they were going to perfect the free skate with 3 quadruple jumps and then at some point moved to 4 maybe next season. why the rush? this season is a wash no matter what. It's next season that matters most if there is a next season and if there is the Winter Olympics in 15 months.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Whoever RISD professor was, I disagree. I don't think artists need to be older or mature or have a body of work, especially a consistent body of work. If they produce art, even once, they are an artist, whether they mature or not, IMO. If they are young or raw, they can still be artists, even if they are not finished.

Ka3sha

Mishin and his aphorisms are unparalleled :)

About Liza:
To praise Liza? Write it like that: 'Buckwheat porridge needs no bush' (Russian saying for 'Good wine needs no bush')
About Guliakova and her triple axel:
- Referring to your own terminology, has Gulyakova's triple axel "woken up"?
- It suffers from insomnia. Has no regular sleep and wakefulness.
About Kolyada:
- Kolyada won the third event in a row this season.
- When Misha came to me, we talked with him and I formulated: "Misha, you are my two-year project." I am criticized for following this path very carefully, but I want to say that it has just begun. When I was a young coach, my motto was "Hurry! Hurry! Hurry!"
- Does Plushenko remind you of yourself in youth?
- Let's assume that I have not heard this question. I won't mention the names of God and Zhenya in vain. And we are talking about Misha. I feel a great responsibility on myself. They say that a small bird in a cage is better than a crane in the sky (Russian saying for 'A pie in the sky'). But a wonderful crane flew into our cage. That is why it is necessary to treat it with care.
He also mentioned that 'Ave Maria' was another option for LP this season.

Sylvia

TBD
It was confirmed that Med has c-o-v-i-d several days ago.
Is there a link to an article?

ETA - was it this one? https://m.sports.ru/figure-skating/...azilas-koronavirusom-telegram-kanal-mash.html

This article cites Medvedeva's Instagram post that merely mentions "a bad cold":
TASS, November 22. Russian figure skater Evgenia Medvedeva said that she had a rather difficult illness. The athlete wrote about this in a story on Instagram.
The 21-year-old Russian woman due to health problems missed the stage of the Grand Prix series in Moscow, which ended on Saturday.
"Thank you all for worrying about my health. I had complications due to my back, as well as a bad cold. I would like to omit details about the cold, since I am 21 years old, I am young, and it is wrong to talk a lot about health and sores. just that it's hard enough, "Medvedeva wrote.
"But I am already on the mend, recovering for more than three weeks. In a few days, I hope I will be in service," she added.

Last edited:

Bigbird

It was confirmed that Med has c-o-v-i-d several days ago.
But why do they refer to it as everything but XYZ? I see pneumonia, cold? Why aren't they taking it more seriously? What if one of their prized athletes really paid the price? Doesn't matter? The factory can produce more? It's just crazy.

starrynight

But why do they refer to it as everything but XYZ? I see pneumonia, cold? Why aren't they taking it more seriously? What if one of their prized athletes really paid the price? Doesn't matter? The factory can produce more? It's just crazy.

Probably because there could be issues for the training camp if it was public that several people there had 'rona, I suspect. Training might be shut down etc.

Bigbird

Probably because there could be issues for the training camp if it was public that several people there had 'rona, I suspect. Training might be shut down etc.
So that is more important than the health of the kids and parents? Craaazzzy!!!!

karmena

Because it is Russia. A soviet spirit never dies there, and never ever will. Lying and covering is a norm. et is only a tool in the hands of old soviet mechanism under the disguise of figure skating.

Natanielle825

Wait, I can't read Russian. Evgenia said she has a cold and Anna said she has pneumonia...where does it confirm they have corona?

Tinami Amori

Is there a link to an article?

ETA - was it this one? https://m.sports.ru/figure-skating/...azilas-koronavirusom-telegram-kanal-mash.html

TASS, November 22. Russian figure skater Evgenia Medvedeva said that she had a rather difficult illness. The athlete wrote about this in a story on Instagram.
The 21-year-old Russian woman due to health problems missed the stage of the Grand Prix series in Moscow, which ended on Saturday.
"Thank you all for worrying about my health. I had complications due to my back, as well as a bad cold. I would like to omit details about the cold, since I am 21 years old, I am young, and it is wrong to talk a lot about health and sores. just that it's hard enough, "Medvedeva wrote.
"But I am already on the mend, recovering for more than three weeks. In a few days, I hope I will be in service," she added.
At the beginning of the article she states (in russian) that she is over "heavy/severe cold" and not KNW.

People who hate Sambo-70 and Eteri's success are trying to spread rumors that it is KNW at Sambo. So far it sounds like lies. For example Medvedeva has not been to training for weeks, longer than 3 weeks that she said she's been sick. Tutberidze appears often on the recent photos of other skaters practices, she is at the rink training.

If ANY person at Sambo-70 was diagnosed with XXXXX, the whole group, even the whole rink would be shut down, just like with the group that has Stepanova/Bukin, who did not have it, but someone in the group did. Not by Russian skating federation, but by Rospotrebnadzor organization, who cares very little about "olympic hopes" and is dealing now with increasing victim numbers.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

About the earlier multiple comments about "why Boikova/Kozlovsky fans started to dislike them".

Few times last year some fans thought Kozlovsky acted ungracious, one time he was showing too overt of a happiness (shaking his fists/making faces) when the canadian team (their direct competition at that event) did not do well. Then at the next event again he shook his fists and growled. While other skaters also shake their firsts sometimes, Kozlovsky's "shakings" and facial express where aggressive and more common for commercial wrestling or boxing events. At this last event Kozlovsky said something like "We are were we belong (in 1st) and the rest are where they belong in line, behind us". That's considered obnoxious and even rude to other skaters.

Boykova said a few things too that upset people. Of the ones i remember, first she said something like "the only real music is classical music, the rest, like pop and country is not real music". Then her comments about Crimea, it was not the fact of "complaining" but "how and what". It's hard to explain in short, but Crimea (weather it is Russian or Ukrainian) is known for its holistic qualities, the air/water/nature. It was NEVER a luxury resort destination. It had (back in USSR) many spa-clinics for asthmatics and people with respiratory issues. The whole purpose of going to Crimea (and i spend all summers there from 2 yrs of age until 14) is to intake air/water/sun, not to luxuriate. Well Boykova complained about "too many people on a public beach", and "too long of a hike to a nice lagoon", not enough luxuries and that is is not "like in foreign resorts".... as if she traveled and stayed at those "luxury foreign places". Kozlovsky had to explain her post later, softening it down to "she only wishes the best for Crimea".

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
About the earlier multiple comments about "why Boikova/Kozlovsky fans started to dislike them".

Few times last year some fans thought Kozlovsky acted ungracious, one time he was showing too overt of a happiness (shaking his fists/making faces) when the canadian team (their direct competition at that event) did not do well. Then at the next event again he shook his fists and growled. While other skaters also shake their firsts sometimes, Kozlovsky's "shakings" and facial express where aggressive and more common for commercial wrestling or boxing events. At this last event Kozlovsky said something like "We are were we belong (in 1st) and the rest are where they belong in line, behind us". That's considered obnoxious and even rude to other skaters.

Boykova said a few things too that upset people. Of the ones i remember, first she said something like "the only real music is classical music, the rest, like pop and country is not real music". Then her comments about Crimea, it was not the fact of "complaining" but "how and what". It's hard to explain in short, but Crimea (weather it is Russian or Ukrainian) is known for its holistic qualities, the air/water/nature. It was NEVER a luxury resort destination. It had (back in USSR) many spa-clinics for asthmatics and people with respiratory issues. The whole purpose of going to Crimea (and i spend all summers there from 2 yrs of age until 14) is to intake air/water/sun, not to luxuriate. Well Boykova complained about "too many people on a public beach", and "too long of a hike to a nice lagoon", not enough luxuries and that is is not "like in foreign resorts".... as if she traveled and stayed at those "luxury foreign places". Kozlovsky had to explain her post later, softening it down to "she only wishes the best for Crimea".
You are kidding, right. We all complain. No reason she should not. If it was her first time there perhaps she was disappointed.

I have complete confidence that Moskvina will get them schooled right out of questionable or controversial deeds or statements.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'll defend my comments once and then leave it alone. I think Kostornaia has some of the best skating skills and musicality of the senior ladies and I really enjoy watching her. I'll use a quote from an art professor at the Rhode Island School of Design to explain where I'm coming from - "Remember though, that even the greatest talent and drawing skills will only take you so far. In the end, it’s the creativity, innovation, and ideas that matter. Artists need to think, make choices, and express opinions in their work. This critical thinking process is what distinguishes an artist from someone who is simply technically adept in drawing." So yes, Alena is very talented, no doubt about it. But to me, earning the title of Artist requires many years of experimenting with different styles, learning from different people, cultivating a viewpoint, and creating something original and personal.
Interesting perspective. I differ with it somewhat. I mean no disrespect to your professor. I just have a different perspective. Some of it is rooted in my own experiences.

First, I agree that talent will take you only this far. I would add that without hard work and persistence talent alone will not take you very far. One of my painting teachers said - there are no short cuts to greatness. So I am in agreement about the time factor, but I apply that to becoming a great artist, not to becoming an artist.

I don’t believe that one must wait for years, try different styles, experiment, etc. before being recognizEd as an artist. I have seen some young people produce great art, because they developed their natural talent through hard work In a relatively short time.

From my perspective, Anyone who produces art is an artist. It could be at different levels. Whether it is painting, figure skating, ballet, music, etc. It could be classical, traditional, abstract, or any other style. It does not depend on the number of years or versatility.

I don’t believe that Van Gogh or Monet were not artists at the start of their careers as painters. Each had his own unique style, even in their early works.

I would not put down technical skills. To quote Dick Button, you can’t create great art without great technique. That is why there is such emphasis on mastering the technique.

Since we are discussing a certain figure skater-

Kostornaia already has the technique and she has natural talent. She is very artistic on the ice. Some others have to develop their art, so it takes them longer. In my mind Alena K. is already a very good artist and she will become an even better Artist. I don’t feel the need to wait for several years to recognize her as an artist.

I also disagree that one must experiment with different styles to be considered an artist. Each artist has his/her own style and preferences. They are going to follow their natural instinct in their creativity. Experimentation may help someone develop (and I think many do) but it is not a prerequisite for becoming an artist, in my opinion.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Reba McIntyre said on AGT to a young country contestant (Kadie Lee). You have more stage presence than I did in my 20's. If you work hard and are COACHABLE" you will go far.

In figure skating, you need natural talent, excellent basic skating skills, musicality, and hard work.

Also, you kind of need to be in the right place at the right time..............that you have less control over.

Ka3sha

Channel 1 video about Kolyada’s ‘Nureyev’ (The White Crone) program. Was filmed back in August/September when Averbukh and Mishin’s team were working on the choreo + some new ‘behind the scenes’ footage from Rostelecom

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information