UPDATED And The Quad Axel Pursuit ENDS: Malinin!

caseyedwards

Well chen is like in patrick Chan 2010-2014 area of domination so people need to add upgrades to challenge like Hanyu did upgrades to beat Chan

bardtoob

So apparently this private-now-public video clip of Nathan's 4A attempt was filmed by someone who was at the closed practice at the Orleans arena in Las Vegas on Monday, Oct. 26 (for the yet-to-be-aired team singles event):

I'm impressed that Nathan can squeak out 4 and 1/8th rotations on an Axel entry, especially since he used to be Axelly challenged. However, getting that additional 3/8ths is always the challenge with Axels.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
I do believe someone will land a Quad Axel. A quint can’t be far behind. It feels like more and more skaters are retiring earlier because it does take a toll on their bodies. So why not make the most of a limited skating career and set an ambitious goal? Looking forward to when it happens, regardless of who gets it first.

Tinami Amori

Lets wait and see if anyone lands 4A cleanly and more than once, and more than one person.... and then worry about 5A.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I do believe someone will land a Quad Axel. A quint can’t be far behind. It feels like more and more skaters are retiring earlier because it does take a toll on their bodies. So why not make the most of a limited skating career and set an ambitious goal?

Because it could cause physical problems that could affect them for the rest of their lives. Like skaters who do too many triple jumps and then end up having hip replacements at a comparatively young age.

Natanielle825

I bet some days Hanyu wishes he never mentioned that damn quad axel - now the expectation of him to do it by the Olympics is immense, not to mention his competitors are racing to get there first. None of these attempts look close to me - I'll believe it's possible when I see it.

caseyedwards

Because it could cause physical problems that could affect them for the rest of their lives. Like skaters who do too many triple jumps and then end up having hip replacements at a comparatively young age.
This happens in every sport. Some of my favorite pitchers: Tommy John surgery! Some of my favorite football players: concussion retirement. Like I can’t even believe still that andrew luck retired! I don’t even believe it!

Carolla5501

I bet some days Hanyu wishes he never mentioned that damn quad axel - now the expectation of him to do it by the Olympics is immense, not to mention his competitors are racing to get there first. None of these attempts look close to me - I'll believe it's possible when I see it.
And unfortunately his competitors are actually coming up with new programs and doing a good job while he spent last year doing recycled programs that weren’t done well because he’s working on a quad axle. The truth is the search for the quad axle is putting him father behind

He needs to step away from the quad axel and make sure everything else he does, he does perfectly IMHO. He can still win but he can’t keep opening the door for his competitors

syzygy

This happens in every sport. Some of my favorite pitchers: Tommy John surgery! Some of my favorite football players: concussion retirement. Like I can’t even believe still that andrew luck retired! I don’t even believe it!
This. When one is at the top of most sports, they're not going to be healthy. Most sports aren't actually good for you when you do them intensely. Sports are insanely hard on the body no matter which sport it is.

Polaris

And unfortunately his competitors are actually coming up with new programs and doing a good job while he spent last year doing recycled programs that weren’t done well because he’s working on a quad axle. The truth is the search for the quad axle is putting him father behind

He needs to step away from the quad axel and make sure everything else he does, he does perfectly IMHO. He can still win but he can’t keep opening the door for his competitors

He has won everything already, several times over. Maybe his goal is more the quad axel and less winning.

Carolla5501

Some of you apparently have never done competitive sports. Because if you had you would know that competitors don’t just turn it off. The only reason he’s going to the quad axle is to beat Nathan. This is not about history, he’s already got all the history he needs. This is about winning.

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Some of you apparently have never done competitive sports. Because if you had you would know that competitors don’t just turn it off. The only reason he’s going to the quad axle is to beat Nathan. This is not about history, he’s already got all the history he needs. This is about winning.
Exactly, he is always setting a new goal. Look how much he has already accomplished. If he wants to go for the Quad Axel, don’t judge him. Cheer him on. Yes, it’s a risk, but it’s his risk and choice.

DreamSkates

It seems similar to some ladies adding a triple axle but that didn't guarantee a total winning score.

Sylvia

TBD
Bumping up this thread that was started just over 2 years ago (pre-pandemic) ...

ETA:

Artur Dmitriev Jr. fell out of his opening 4A< (10.00 BV, 5 points received for the attempt) in his 2022 U.S. Nationals Senior Men's free skate.

Yuzuru Hanyu fell on his attempt in his 2022 Olympics FS (4A< -1 = 4 points).

The current base value for a cleanly landed 4A is 12.5 points.

Last edited:

On My Own

It can only happen in the off-season after 2023-24 can't it? I don't remember if the BVs can be updated any off-season. (They've already published the current ones, it remains at 12.5)

bardtoob

Lorenzo Magri's post includes the same 4A clip and a photo with Ilia ("I have heard that this jump was not possible many times. Then comes a guy who succeeds and makes the history of this sport. Congrats Ilia Malinin @quadg0d and the team 👏 4A 💥 exciting camp here in Colorado 🔥🇺🇸"): https://www.instagram.com/p/CdeQ44lOz3e/

Might I say that it is actually a pretty jump.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...

Sylvia

TBD
"The off-season for skaters is not only a time for a long-awaited rest, but also an opportunity to study new elements at a calm pace. Including complex and risky ones, which, for example, the Russian Petr Gumennik takes. The figure skater from St. Petersburg began to train the quadruple axel." (June 21, 2022):
“I was interested to know his advice on how to train the quadruple axel, what exercises. I will prepare for the attempts of the quadruple axel,” suddenly issued a 20-year-old figure skater Pyotr Gumennik, commenting on his summer consultations with Rafael Arutyunyan. True, he immediately added that he would not fanatically strive to perform a complex element at all costs. “If I am not sure that I will go in and jump, then I will not fight,” Peter clarified. - Jumps should be entered only when there is confidence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information