UPDATED And The Quad Axel Pursuit ENDS: Malinin!

Jammers

Yesterday, Boyang Jin posted a proposed 4A in his long program. Hanyu has followed suit:

What is wrong with Hanyu and Brian? Yuzuru has had so many injuries this seems to be just asking for him to be carted off the ice on a stretcher. Maybe he's retiring after this season and feels he has nothing to lose but make history yet again. :slinkaway

starrynight

I expect this 4A is all that’s keeping Yuzuru in competition.

I reckon if he lands it, even if it’s at a small competition he’ll hang up his boots. I doubt at this stage he cares about longevity- he’s already won the OGM twice.

And fair play to him. In a judged sport like skating, I think it’s reasonable to have a defined goal like that.

I hope he lands it and can tick it off his list.

Bonjour Sherry

Maybe this is why Yuzuru "Recycled Programs" Hanyu is going back to his long for the FOURTH time.

Plus more Winnie the Poohs from his hoards of Japanese grandma fans.

Marco

I expect this 4A is all that’s keeping Yuzuru in competition.

I reckon if he lands it, even if it’s at a small competition he’ll hang up his boots. I doubt at this stage he cares about longevity- he’s already won the OGM twice.

And fair play to him. In a judged sport like skating, I think it’s reasonable to have a defined goal like that.

I hope he lands it and can tick it off his list.

Exactly. His only motivation.

If he wins 4CCs this week he will have won all the major competitions there is to win for him. And then to make it into the history books with the 4axel would be quite amazing. Didn't Plushenko use to mention the 4axel all the time?

IIRC he was credited with landing the first 4loop but that wasn't a clean landing.

And I think that's why he is returning to old programs - programs that he is familiar with so he can focus his training on the 4axel alone.

I just really, really hope he doesn't injure himself.

bardtoob

I think Yuzuru will land the 4A.

I also think his jumps will be the last thing to go.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Wait, it's.Jing who has 4A.planned which might be a typo. How.did Hanyu.get there??

Fairuza

Exactly. His only motivation.

If he wins 4CCs this week he will have won all the major competitions there is to win for him. And then to make it into the history books with the 4axel would be quite amazing. Didn't Plushenko use to mention the 4axel all the time?

IIRC he was credited with landing the first 4loop but that wasn't a clean landing.

And I think that's why he is returning to old programs - programs that he is familiar with so he can focus his training on the 4axel alone.

I just really, really hope he doesn't injure himself.
Excuse me, what wasn’t clean about ACI 2016 SP 4Lo?

Foolhardy Ham Lint

What is wrong with Hanyu and Brian? Yuzuru has had so many injuries this seems to be just asking for him to be carted off the ice on a stretcher. Maybe he's retiring after this season and feels he has nothing to lose but make history yet again. :slinkaway

It seems short term glory is far more important than long term health.

For starters, Lipinski could give them a talk about her hip surgery.

starrynight

I don’t think you can liken Hanyu to Trusova.

Hanyu is a decade older and at 25 is an adult skating in his grown body and is very much making his own decisions with an adult perspective. He’s also achieved every goal there is and is currently in the final stages of his competitive career. This isn’t a case of risking his career being over before it begins. I would have thought Hanyu would have retired after 2018 ... so if he wants to focus the last bit on a jump that’s fine by me. I expect he’d have retired by now otherwise.

barbarafan

Hanyu has always had a self-sacrificing temperament and a hard head. End result he will do what he wants so if Brian cannot talk him out of things he does as much damage control as he can..Remember Boston worlds- he was training on his own in Japan sending vids to Brian daily. He never told Brian he was injured.He arrived in Toronto one month before worlds for some intensive last minute concentration but could hardly hardly walk on one foot. Brian took the quad toe right out of his programs and did what he could. Since then it looks like he teaches quad toe and keeps it in if picked up quickly without loads of repititions but sometimes switches to quad sal as it is picked up quicker with less chance of usage injury.

Fairuza

I don’t think you can liken Hanyu to Trusova.

Hanyu is a decade older and at 25 is an adult skating in his grown body and is very much making his own decisions with an adult perspective. He’s also achieved every goal there is and is currently in the final stages of his competitive career. This isn’t a case of risking his career being over before it begins. I would have thought Hanyu would have retired after 2018 ... so if he wants to focus the last bit on a jump that’s fine by me. I expect he’d have retired by now otherwise.
There is that elusive 4CC title...

sk9tingfan

Another post-practice interview. See his response after the last paragraph.

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I agree that Hanyu is an adult, and at this point I don’t think Orser can control everything. Orser is coach and in the end his job is to help Hanyu achieve his goals. If Hanyu’s goals are to win 4CC and land a 4A - then I’m sure they came up with the best way to do this.

At this point it’s not like his most devoted fans will love him less for recycling programs or that not winning worlds because he falls on the 4A (or takes everything else out of the program) will mean he doesn’t get endorsement deals.

I personally wish he’d chosen to grow artistically at the end of his career, he is an artistic skater and I think this aspect has stagnated. But that’s me and Hanyu can do whatever he pleases.

as for Jin, it will be interesting if he really is going to do it. Honestly I hope he’d get his consistency and flow back for his 4Lz combo

Carolla5501

I agree that Hanyu is an adult, and at this point I don’t think Orser can control everything. Orser is coach and in the end his job is to help Hanyu achieve his goals. If Hanyu’s goals are to win 4CC and land a 4A - then I’m sure they came up with the best way to do this.

At this point it’s not like his most devoted fans will love him less for recycling programs or that not winning worlds because he falls on the 4A (or takes everything else out of the program) will mean he doesn’t get endorsement deals.

I personally wish he’d chosen to grow artistically at the end of his career, he is an artistic skater and I think this aspect has stagnated. But that’s me and Hanyu can do whatever he pleases.

as for Jin, it will be interesting if he really is going to do it. Honestly I hope he’d get his consistency and flow back for his 4Lz combo

His most devoted fans probably won’t be impacted but people like me are tuning him out

if he does the quad axel, I’m sure it’ll be nice, but unfortunately it won’t overcome the Johnny weir recycled programs. That’s a shame.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Plus more Winnie the Poohs from his hoards of Japanese grandma fans.
His fans span all age ranges, actually.

For starters, Lipinski could give them a talk about her hip surgery.
I'm pretty sure she'd tell him it was worth it. Hasn't she said things like that in interviews? She's certainly implied it before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information