UPDATED And The Quad Axel Pursuit ENDS: Malinin!

Sylvia

TBD
From ISU - Ilia Malinin (USA) lands first quad Axel (Sept. 15): https://www.isu.org/figure-skating/...in-usa-lands-first-quad-axel?templateParam=15

Washington Post last night may have been the first major news source to have published something online? (September 14, 2022 at 11:29 p.m. EDT) - by Les Carpenter: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/2022/09/14/ilia-malinin-figure-skating-quad-axel/
Ilia Malinin, the 17-year-old figure skater from Vienna, Va., who has quickly captivated the sport with an array of seemingly effortless jumps, became the first skater to ever land a quadruple Axel in competition Wednesday night at the U.S. International Figure Skating Classic in Lake Placid, N.Y.
Malinin, who had previously landed the elusive jump in practice, led with the quad Axel during his free skate routine, hitting it in a far corner of the ice. The sparse crowd in the nearly-empty arena immediately seemed to know what he had done and roared loudly as he completed the jump.
His performance Wednesday helped him get past a disappointing sixth-place finish in short program and win his season-opening event.

NBC Sports' Olympic Talk:

Associated Press:

Eurosport:

Last edited:

chewy

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I haven’t seen the video but my at the moment reaction seeing Ilia was that he still had space between his knees and hang time to do a quint axel in the future. It was massive and spanned the entire hockey circle and looked So Easy.
The jump was so high, his head almost went out of the frame on the video, lol.

Sylvia

TBD
Reuters (LOL at Ilia's jump face photo):

USA Today:

Bleacher Report:

Olympics.com: https://olympics.com/en/news/figure-skating-ila-malinin-quadruple-axel

CBC Sports used Associated Press' text & embedded social media posts by Risport Skates (great publicity for their boots!) & Johnny Weir: https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/winter/figure-skating/figure-skating-malinin-quad-axel-1.6583930

Last edited:

gkelly

We won't see a quint in competition until they're added to the Scale of Values.

So if skaters want to add those elements to the repertoire, they'll need to start showing them off in online videos and competition practice sessions, to get the ISU on board.

On My Own

So if skaters want to add those elements to the repertoire, they'll need to start showing them off in online videos and competition practice sessions, to get the ISU on board.
In 2019, I remember some skaters (very very young Russians) showing them off on harness, but they were nowhere close to being rotated.

I think ISU needs to consider adding 4+4s first. I think some have spoken about training those. But even that seems distant.

Anyway, 4A is already something many considered distant. Now it's happened. Surely quints and 4+4s are also within future athletes' reach.

gkelly

In 2019, I remember some skaters (very very young Russians) showing them off on harness, but they were nowhere close to being rotated.

I think ISU needs to consider adding 4+4s first. I think some have spoken about training those. But even that seems distant.4

Anyway, 4A is already something many considered distant. Now it's happened. Surely quints and 4+4s are also within future athletes' reach.

4+4 is already legal in a free skate. So once a bunch of skaters start showing those successfully in the free skate, it can be added to the men's short program.

Before it can be added to the women's short program, they would first need to allow quads at all either as the solo jump and/or in the combination.

On My Own

4+4 is already legal in a free skate. So once a bunch of skaters start showing those successfully in the free skate, it can be added to the men's short program.
Yeah that's true, but I don't think the base values encourage the skaters to add 4+4s to their layouts (which then discourages them from seriously training those combos). Whereas a 4T+4T in the SP is a huge boost. I don't know if the ISU will take this into consideration though.

Last edited:

leilaofpaper

It would be insanity at this stage, but theoretically someone could do an all quad free program.

Like imagine someone doing the following:
4A, 4F, 4Lz, 4Lo, 4F4T, 4Lo4T, 4Lz1Eu4S. If I’m calculating correctly that would be 107.7 points on base value alone.

And that’s not even the most difficult quad layout you could have.

I’d imagine you’d need a few hip replacements though, so for now I’d rather skaters stay healthy. Interesting to think about though, given how quickly the quad revolution has occurred.

Kateri

void beast
It would be insanity at this stage, but theoretically someone could do an all quad free program.

4A, 4F, 4Lz, 4Lo, 4F4T, 4Lo4T, 4Lz1Eu4S. If I’m calculating correctly that would be 107.7 points on base value alone.

And that’s not even the most difficult quad layout you could have.

I’d imagine you’d need a few hip replacements though, so for now I’d rather skaters stay healthy. Interesting to think about though, given how quickly the quad revolution has occurred.
You're repeating 4 quads in that layout, though, can only repeat two.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝

ugggg

i prefer this layout

delayed axel, shoot the duck into a 2T, charlotte into a 2S, 2A/2T, spiral sequence, layback with no biellmann and a 2L/2Lo

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
More article links that I haven't yet posted (same quotes by Ilia):

Washingtonian (local coverage):
Virginia figure skater Ilia Malinin just did something that no other ice athlete has ever accomplished: On Wednesday night in Lake Placid, he landed a quad axel—a stunning four-and-a-half revolution jump—in a competition.
The 17-year-old skater was born in Vienna and attends Marshall High School in Falls Church.

Ilia Malinin Grabs Figure Skating’s Holy Grail: A Quadruple Axel (this WSJ article by Louise Radnofsky is behind a paywall):
https://www.wsj.com/articles/first-quad-axel-ilia-malinin-skating-hanyu-11663266362
Excerpt from the beginning:
The jump that finally broke the biggest barrier in figure skating wasn’t landed at the Olympic Games, under the bright lights of a packed arena with millions watching on television.
It wasn’t conquered by Yuzuru Hanyu, the two-time Olympic champion on a quest to claim it as his own, or Nathan Chen, the reigning Olympic gold medalist who had briefly explored whether it was within his own impressive range.
And there was barely anyone there to see it.
The elusive quadruple axel—four and a half rotations in the air, from a tricky forward takeoff—was instead landed cleanly in competition by a Virginia teenager in a near-empty rink in Lake Placid, N.Y. on Wednesday night at an obscure early season competition.
Ilia Malinin, a 17-year-old American coached by parents who themselves had skated for Uzbekistan, has a title that nobody can take from him: He can call himself the first person ever to nail the quad axel.
(Along the way, he also happened to win the 2022 U.S. International Figure Skating Classic.)
The quad axel had long been considered a holy grail in figure skating, and some of the greatest names in the history of the sport have had their eyes on it. Hanyu staked the last years of his competitive career on attempting to land it when it counted. Chen’s flirtation with the jump gave way to winning an Olympic gold medal that had previously eluded him. Artur Dmitriev Jr., the man who had perhaps been in the hunt the longest, fell short with an under-rotated attempt at the U.S. Championship at the start of the year.

CBS Sports:

The Guardian:

Fox News:

NY Post:

RIA Novosti's Anastasia Panina:

P.S. Thanks to the Admin. who has updated the original thread title! :) (this thread was begun on Feb. 4, 2020)

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Thanks @clairecloutier! :) (reposting here from her "A Divine Sport blog" thread):
Here's my look back at Ilia Malinin's historic quad Axel last week.

Excerpts:
I was there in Lake Placid, watching the opening moments of Malinin’s long program, when he suddenly launched himself upward. I thought, “Wow, that is a lot of air.” Then I realized what had happened: The quad Axel. Forty-four years after the first triple Axel, Malinin had produced the quad Axel. It was amazing–and still feels a bit surreal.
“In the future, we’re planning to add a little bit more quads even,” he said the day after his long program. “I haven’t landed [quad] loop yet or [quad] flip. But I have them in training.”
Perhaps there will be more history-making moments from Malinin in the future. But I’m not sure any will ever top his historic accomplishment of the quad Axel. That feat opens a new era in the history of men’s skating. We can only wait now to see where it leads the sport.

Last edited:

ice coverage

Excerpts from Paul Wylie's big-picture thoughts on Ilia's achievement:

... Four and one-half rotations in the air, landing on one foot, gliding on the edge of a blade on a sheet of ice. And just like that, what had once been unthinkable became part of humanity’s repertoire.

Quadruple Axels, moon shots, four-minute miles, Miracles on Ice, they all remind us that expectations and limitations are but mental constructions. ... It’s always tempting to believe there is simply no more we can do; we have reached our limit. Then someone strives, works creatively to come up with new and better techniques, equipment and training and bravely accomplishes it.

... I want to relish the fact that I just experienced seeing the Quad Axel. It speaks to my heart and says, what am I asking of myself today? Is there something I can do that is outside my impossible? ...

(published Sep 22)​

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information