U.S. Ice Dance 2020-21 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Teams competing at Skate America next week - Grand Prix debuts for Cesanek/Yehorov, McNamara/Spiridonov (his Team USA debut) & this also is the Team USA debut for Pate/Bye as a team (and her Team USA debut):

Christina Carreira, 20, and Anthony Ponomarenko, 19: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...hristina-carreira-and-anthony-ponomarenko/362
TRAINING TOWN Novi, MI
COACH(ES) Igor Shpilband, Pasquale Camerlengo
CHOREOGRAPHER(S) Igor Shpilband, Pasquale Camerlengo
RD Music: “Too Darn Hot" from Kiss Me Kate
FD Music: Music from Doctor Zhivago; eta that their updated ISU bio lists these 5 cuts:
Main Title (from "Doctor Zhivago") by Maurice Jarre
Farewell To The Past by Ludovico Einaudi
Lara's Theme (from "Doctor Zhivago") by Maurice Jarre
Love Is A Mistery by Ludovico Einaudi

Molly Cesanek, 19, and Yehor Yehorov, 21: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...ter/-nbsp-molly-cesanek-and-yehor-yehorov/406
TRAINING TOWN Leesburg, VA
COACH(ES) Alexei Kiliakov, Elena Novak, Dmytri Ilin
CHOREOGRAPHER(S) Elena Novak, Alexei Kiliakov, Natalia Skorikova-Hvoyneva, Meredith Jones
RD Music: “Shout" by original Broadway cast of Ain’t Too Proud, and "Walking on Sunshine” from Walking on Sunshine
FD Music (as listed in their updated ISU bio):
Make It Rain by Foy Vance performed by Matt McAndrew
Take Me to Church by Hozier performed by Matt McAndrew

Caroline Green, 17, and Michael Parsons, 25: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/.../-nbsp-caroline-green-and-michael-parsons/357
COACH(ES) Alexei Kiliakov, Elena Novak, Dmytri Ilin and Ramil Sarkulov
CHOREOGRAPHER(S) Elena Novak, Alexei Kiliakov
RD Music: “Screw Loose” and “Baby Baby Baby Baby Baby (Baby Baby)” from Cry-Baby the musical
FD Music: “Conquest of Spaces” and “I Love You” by Woodkid

ETA that the above were last season's programs; they skated new ones for the ISP Points Challenge & they're listed in their updated ISU bio:
RD: Foxtrot: I Turned The Corner (from "Thoroughly Modern Millie") by Gavin Creel, Sutton Foster / Quickstep: What Do I Need With Love? (from "Thoroughly Modern Millie") by Gavin Creel
FD: Dance 4 Me / Nothing Compares 2 U / Raspberry Beret by Prince

Kaitlin Hawayek, 23, and Jean-Luc Baker, 27: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/.../-nbsp-kaitlin-hawayek-and-jean-luc-baker/382
TRAINING TOWN Montreal
COACH(ES) Marie-France Dubreuil, Patrice Lauzon, Romain Haguenauer
CHOREOGRAPHER(S) Marie-France Dubreuil, Romain Haguenauer, Samuel Chouinard, Kaitlin Hawayek, Jean-Luc Baker
RD Music: Selections from Saturday Night Fever - eta that their updated ISU bio lists these 4 cuts:
Swing: Staying Alive (from "Saturday Night Fever") by Bee Gees
Swing: Night Fever (from "Saturday Night Fever") by Bee Gees
Swing: Boogie Shoes (from "Saturday Night Fever") by Bee Gees [new this season]
Swing: You Should Be Dancing (from "Saturday Night Fever") by West End UK Production
FD Music: “Heart of Glass" by Philip Glass and Blondie, and "First Movement" by Philip Glass

Madison Hubbell, 29, and Zachary Donohue, 29: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...-nbsp-madison-hubbell-and-zachary-donohue/401
TRAINING TOWN Montreal
COACH(ES) Marie-France Dubreuil, Patrice Lauzon, Romain Haguenauer, Pascal Denis, Josee Pichet, Benjamin Brisebois
CHOREOGRAPHER(S) Marie-France Dubreuil, Ginette Cournoyer, Samuel Chouinard, Romain Haguenaur, Scott Moir (FD)
RD Music: Burlesque medley by Christina Aguilera ("Express" / "A Guy Who Takes His Time" / "Tough Lover")
FD Music: “Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley and k.d lang; eta that their updated ISU bio lists the middle "bridge" piece titled Pray Gently to the Light by Karl Hugo

Lorraine McNamara, 21, and Anton Spiridonov, 22: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...sp-lorraine-mcnamara-and-anton-spiridonov/398
COACH(ES) Alexei Kiliakov, Elena Novak
CHOREOGRAPHER(S) Elena Novak, Meredith Jones
RD: “Big Spender” and Rich Man’s Frug” from Sweet Charity by Cy Coleman
FD: "Money" and "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd
Link to their new ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00110441.htm

Eva Pate, 20, and Logan Bye, 22: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/figure-skating/roster/-nbsp-eva-pate-and-logan-bye/367
TRAINING TOWN Novi, MI
COACH(ES) Igor Shpilband, Pasquale Camerlengo, Natalia Deller, Adrienne Lenda
RD Music: Selections from Motown The Musical
FD Music: "Say Something" by A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera, and "Primavera" by Ludovico Einaudi
Link to their new ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00110448.htm

Last edited:

azcalder

Teams competing at Skate America next week - Grand Prix debuts for Cesanek/Yehorov, McNamara/Spiridonov (his Team USA debut) & this also is the Team USA debut for Pate/Bye as a team (and her Team USA debut):

Christina Carreira, 20, and Anthony Ponomarenko, 19: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...hristina-carreira-and-anthony-ponomarenko/362
TRAINING TOWN Novi, MI
FD Music: Music from Doctor Zhivago

Molly Cesanek, 19, and Yehor Yehorov, 21: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...ter/-nbsp-molly-cesanek-and-yehor-yehorov/406
COACH(ES) Alexei Kiliakov, Elena Novak, Dmytri Ilin
CHOREOGRAPHER(S) Elena Novak, Alexei Kiliakov, Natalia Skorikova-Hvoyneva, Meredith Jones
RD Music: “Shout" by original Broadway cast of Ain’t Too Proud, and "Walking on Sunshine” from Walking on Sunshine
FD Music: "Make It Rain" by Matt McAndrew, “Make It Rain” by Ed Sheehan, and "Take Me To Church" by Matt McAndrew

Caroline Green, 17, and Michael Parsons, 25: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/.../-nbsp-caroline-green-and-michael-parsons/357
COACH(ES) Alexei Kiliakov, Elena Novak, Dmytri Ilin and Ramil Sarkulov
CHOREOGRAPHER(S) Elena Novak, Alexei Kiliakov
RD Music: “Screw Loose” and “Baby Baby Baby Baby Baby (Baby Baby)” from Cry-Baby the musical
FD Music: “Conquest of Spaces” and “I Love You” by Woodkid

Kaitlin Hawayek, 23, and Jean-Luc Baker, 27: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/.../-nbsp-kaitlin-hawayek-and-jean-luc-baker/382
TRAINING TOWN Montreal
CHOREOGRAPHER(S) Marie-France Dubreuil, Romain Haguenauer, Samuel Chouinard, Kaitlin Hawayek, Jean-Luc Baker
RD Music: Selections from Saturday Night Fever
FD Music: “Heart of Glass" by Philip Glass and Blondie, and "First Movement" by Philip Glass

Madison Hubbell, 29, and Zachary Donohue, 29: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...-nbsp-madison-hubbell-and-zachary-donohue/401
TRAINING TOWN Montreal
COACH(ES) Marie-France Dubreuil, Patrice Lauzon, Romain Haguenauer, Pascal Denis, Josee Pichet, Benjamin Brisebois
CHOREOGRAPHER(S) Marie-France Dubreuil, Ginette Cournoyer, Samuel Chouinard, Romain Haguenaur, Scott Moir (FD)
RD Music: Burlesque medley by Christina Aguilera
FD Music: “Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley and k.d lang

Lorraine McNamara, 21, and Anton Spiridonov, 22: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...sp-lorraine-mcnamara-and-anton-spiridonov/398
COACH(ES) Alexei Kiliakov, Elena Novak
CHOREOGRAPHER(S) Elena Novak, Meredith Jones
RD: “Big Spender” and Rich Man’s Frug” from Sweet Charity by Cy Coleman
FD: "Money" and "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd

Eva Pate, 20, and Logan Bye, 22: https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/sports/figure-skating/roster/-nbsp-eva-pate-and-logan-bye/367
TRAINING TOWN Novi, MI
COACH(ES) Igor Shpilband, Pasquale Camerlengo, Natalia Deller, Adrienne Lenda
RD Music: Selections from Motown The Musical
FD Music: "Say Something" by A Great Big World and Christina Aguilera, and "Primavera" by Ludovico Einaudi
Green and Parsons have changed their music from last year:
Rhythm Dance:
“I Turned the Corner” and “What Do I Need With Love? From Thoroughly Modern Millie by Gavin Creel

Free Dance:
"Dance 4 Me" by Prince
"Nothing Compares 2 U" by Prince
"Raspberry Beret" by Prince

Gris

不做奴才做公民
And I like both programs of G/P. RD music is way better than last year and FD shows great energy. Even the music cuts are better than usual jukebox programs.

RoseRed

I also like both of their new programs. Especially the FD. And even if I didn't, I don't think it's very helpful for a new team to just repeat programs when they're developing their style together (not that I judge any team repeating this year - it makes a lot of sense, but I think there's a real benefit for them just to do a different style this year).

Bellanca

TRAINING TOWN Montreal
RD Music: Selections from Saturday Night Fever - eta that their updated ISU bio lists these 4 cuts:
Swing: Staying Alive (from "Saturday Night Fever") by Bee Gees
Swing: Night Fever (from "Saturday Night Fever") by Bee Gees
Swing: Boogie Shoes (from "Saturday Night Fever") by Bee Gees [new this season]
Swing: You Should Be Dancing (from "Saturday Night Fever") by West End UK Production
So excited and optimistic for H&B! 💥💥

Good luck to all!

Bellanca

TRAINING TOWN Novi, MI
FD Music: Music from Doctor Zhivago; eta that their updated ISU bio lists these 5 cuts:
Main Title (from "Doctor Zhivago") by Maurice Jarre
Farewell To The Past by Ludovico Einaudi
Love Is A Mistery by Ludovico Einaudi
Same goes for C&P! Good luck! Be great! 💫 💫

Sylvia

TBD
Hubbell/Donohue article by Darci Miller:

Local Virginia article on Cesanek/Yehorov:

Sylvia

TBD
Bonnie Ford spoke with Green/Parsons, Chock/Bates, Hawayek/Baker, Charlie White & Sam Chouinard for this ESPN.com story:
Excerpts:
Parsons and Green had decided they wanted to change up the music for their short program, or rhythm dance. So Green applied an old adage: She danced with the one who brought her, persuading her older brother and former partner Gordon to serve as a stand-in until she could train with Parsons again.
It wasn't as simple as it sounds. Sure, the siblings had skated together for 10 years and won the 2019 junior national championship, but Gordon had since left the sport and was looking ahead to his freshman year of college. And the required pattern for the rhythm dance this season isn't the easiest romp around the rink. It's the Finnstep, a showy ballroom quickstep that, as stated on ice-dance.com, calls for "very crisp and tidy timing as well as footwork."
"I do not know all of the boys' steps, so it was kind of just a lot of trial and error," Caroline Green said, laughing. "There was no video, thank goodness. I'm sure it was a little rough. Some of the things I tried -- oooh, they didn't quite work."
They had a useful tool provided by the federation -- an auto-follow camera system called Move N See, which can be used with smartphones or tablets that sync with a watch worn on the ice. The system tracks from multiple spots around the rink and enabled Dubreuil to give the skaters feedback in real time from the big screen in her living room.
"We would record ourselves doing the same movement three different ways, from different angles, and be inspired by the work we did in Zoom on the floor and try to make it ours on the ice," Hawayek said.
"What you can see on video sometimes is deceiving, sometimes it's great and sometimes it's not," Hawayek said. "Marie-France was very happy seeing only a two-dimensional view with this camera, that it worked out well in a three-dimensional way when we got here.
"We got to bring our own flair and creativity to the work. We kind of took the reins a little bit in our career in a way."
They had made good progress on their free dance for the 2020-21 season, but didn't feel it was competition-ready this month -- and traveling to Las Vegas for Skate America would have meant yet another 14 days of quarantine back in Montreal when they returned. Chock and Bates withdrew and will continue training with the goal of defending their national title in January. They also decided to table their new free dance and compete with the same two programs as last year.
"Being an athlete at this level means being adaptable and being comfortable with discomfort -- the difference here is managing not knowing," Bates said. "The unknown is greater than it ever has been. It takes a lot of commitment and faith to continue to put everything into the preparation with that unknown looming. But we still feel very motivated."

Last edited:

LilJen

Reaching out with my hand sensitively
When on EARTH did Jean-Luc Baker become someone in his late 20s??? I guess I got used to seeing him and his former partner, and then him and Kaitlyn, as the "new young" skaters on the scene. . .

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
Good Lord is ANL behind. Looking at start orders for SkAm when did Lorraine pair up with this new partner????

I new Quinn retired...but never knew she already reteamed with someone new...

What is hot-stuff Quinn doing for the future. I loved him so much the more I saw him.

haribobo

Why is summer so hot omg
Last edited:

exNyer

I look forward to seeing Hawayek/Baker's programs every season. Watch their On Ice Perspectives clips and any other practice videos that they are included. They are definitely one of my all-time favorite skaters. However...their FD music is something composed for a psychotic horror film.

Sylvia

TBD
Lynn Rutherford's Team USA article was updated today to include quotes from the Skate America ice dance medalists:
Excerpts:
“So this offseason we looked for different music, but inevitably, we were drawn to the idea of marrying the (Buckley and lang) versions,” Hubbell said. “I think they really show the different sides to ‘Hallelujah’ and kind of a raw, intimate quality, which is definitely something we have in our partnership.”
For choreography, they turned to their friend and former training partner Scott Moir, who with partner Tessa Virtue won two Olympic gold medals for Canada.
“Scott really took a leadership role in creating the program, and it was really lovely,” Hubbell said. “Scott is such a fun person to train with, and now that he has taken that friendship and become more of a mentor and more of a coach for us, it’s really motivational.”
Kaitlin Hawayek and Jean-Luc Baker, who train alongside Hubbell and Donohue, and Chock and Bates, in Montreal, won the silver medal with a compelling free dance to Philip Glass selections, mixed with Blondie’s classic “Heart of Glass.”
The team showed deep edges and smooth transitions in the haunting program, which earned 121.32 points, second to Hubbell and Donohue. On Friday, their fast-paced, highly entertaining rhythm dance to music from “Saturday Night Fever" also placed second. Their final tally was 202.47 points.
“Jean-Luc found the music several years ago,” Hawayek said. “We felt a connection to it, and we wanted to create a story that would be universally understood by all watching (the program).”

layman

I was really moved by Hawayek and Baker's Phillip Glass/Heart of Glass Long Program. I liked the innovative lifts and choreography and the way the couple moved and interpreted the music. I saw incredible difficulty and intricate transitions. I like the closeness and connection between them...both have such wonderful partnering skills.

Sylvia

TBD
Polina Edmunds' latest podcast episode:
"This episode discusses Ice Dance, with several new generation ice dancers with their eye on the Olympics. I chat with Lorraine McNamara, Anthony Ponomarenko, and Logan Bye on partner changes, their ice dance history, and their goals long term in this sport."

Kaitlin Hawayek's post yesterday: https://www.instagram.com/p/CHGTnGKJ_0u/
I have a collection of SKATING Magazine’s stacked in my childhood bedroom with the earliest dating from 2000. I used to check the mail every day at the beginning of the month, excited to see when the newest issue would come and what athletes who I looked up to would be featured.
Fast-forward 20 years and we’re on the front of that magazine that used to provide a sense of inspiration and aspiration for a little Kait. I am very excited for you all to read about how Jean-Luc and I have cultivated such a strong partership over the last (almost) 10 years, and where we’re looking moving forward. Make sure to check your mailbox for the November issue 🖤.

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Logan Bye casually describes his current academic studies around the 20-minute mark of Polina's podcast - he aims to finish his undergraduate degree in Cellular & Molecular Biology AND a Master's degree in Biomedical Engineering with a concentration in Biomaterials & Regenerative Medicine (future of stem cell therapy/treatment) at the University of Michigan by May 2021.

Polina's reaction: "That is so cool. What the heck, wow, that nuts! Damn, I'm just a Communications major." :D

Sylvia

TBD
ICE DANCE
  • Teams placing in the top five (5) in the same event at the 2020 U.S. Figure Skating Championships will receive a bye per rule 2503 (B)(2)(a).
    Madison Chock/Evan Bates, Madison Hubbell/Zachary Donohue, Kaitlin Hawayek/Jean-Luc Baker, Christina Carreira/Anthony Ponomarenko, Caroline Green/Michael Parsons
  • The top four (4) combined total scores from ISP Points Challenge (less top 5 byes) will receive a bye.
    Molly Cesanek/Yehor Yehorov, Lorraine McNamara/Anton Spiridonov, Eva Pate/Logan Bye (only 3 teams competed without automatic byes)
6 Senior ice dance teams without byes registered for one or both U.S. Championship Series ice dance events (Fort Wayne, IN; Leesburg, VA) and all will advance to 2021 Nationals because no virtual Senior dance qualifying event will be held and that means 3 groups/14 teams total (no minimum scores are required to compete at Nationals this season):

Livvy Shilling / Alexander Petrov (in ISP) - S8 at 2020 Nationals
Elicia Reynolds / Stephen Reynolds - S9 at 2019 Nationals
Hilary Asher / Ryan O'Donnell (new) - she was J12 & he S9 at 2020 Nationals
Sophia Domonoske / Garrett Udell (new)
Cara Murphy / Joshua Levitt (new)
Breelie Taylor / Tyler Vollmer - J14 at 2020 Nationals

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
I count 16 Junior teams that originally registered for the (now canceled) U.S. Championship Series dance events in Fort Wayne, IN and/or Leesburg, VA (first 6 teams are listed in ISP):

Katarina Wolfkostin / Jeffrey Chen J2 at 2020 Nationals
Oona Brown / Gage Brown J3
Katarina DelCamp / Ian Somerville J5
Angela Ling / Caleb Wein J6
Elizabeth Tkachenko / Alexei Kiliakov J7
Elliana Peal / Ethan Peal N1 at U.S. Dance Final in Nov. 2019
Helena Carhart / Volodymyr Horovyi N2
Juliette Shadid / Lucas Shadid N3
Samantha Ritter / Jim Wang J10
Vanessa Pham / Jonathan Rogers N8
Mila Guberman / Joshua Soto Int7 at U.S. Dance Final
Claire Cain [N4] / Alexander Colucci (new)
Kelsey Schaub / Kenny Eckert [N7] (new)
Isabella Flores [J13] / Dimitry Tsarevski (new)
Leah Neset / Artem Markelov (new)
Gracie Vainik / Daniel Brykalov (new)

10 teams will qualify for 2021 Nationals based on Free Dance scores only in the virtual qualifying competition.

Sylvia

TBD
Jean-Luc Baker shared OIP's clip of their FD: https://www.instagram.com/p/CIOvKxSp4V-/
I love the way skating feels to this piece of ‘Heart of Glass’ by @blondieofficial with additional composition by @karlhugomusic .

Fan Zone article by Paige Feigenbaum (Nov. 24):

Sylvia

TBD
Chock/Bates article by Darci Miller (Dec. 3):
Chock did suffer a concussion in July, keeping her off the ice for several weeks and setting back the pair's progress. They decided to withdraw from 2020 Guaranteed Rate Skate America in October because they weren't feeling as prepared as they normally would like to be for a competition.
Chock and Bates will make their season debut at the 2021 Toyota U.S. Figure Skating Championships in Las Vegas. The ice dance competition will be held on Jan. 15-16.
It will be their first competition since February 2020.
"Thinking back on that, it seems like such a long time ago," Chock said with a laugh. "Things are going great. We're super happy to be training, we're very motivated, and we know that competitions will resume, and when they do, we're going to be ready, and that's what we're focused on."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information