From Russia With Love [#38]: Fall/Winter 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

NAOTMAA

With the news of Evgenia's withdrawal I don't like the insinuations that some people are already giving that she's being forced into things. People are acting like she's being physically abused by Eteri and TAT. Like she's a prisoner or something without a brain of her own.

We've known her for over 5 years and by now people ought to know just how determined and focused she is on obtaining her goals. How much she pushes herself. People may be telling her what she needs to do to win or giving suggestions but I have no doubt she's the driving force.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
At 10, she probably won’t be quite comparable to her older sister yet. Let’s give her time to show us what she can do. She hasn’t even competed at the younger novice nationals yet.
:confused: Fair enough, but Zhilina already had lovely spins at 10 so I was just interested to know if her sister was a talented spinner as well. Sorry if that was an unreasonable question!

lala

@Tinami Amori some days ago
"

I have no doubt that Pluschenko contacted Rika by social media or email with a proposal "come to our rink, etc.", just like he did with everyone else. Rika, probably in good Japanese tradition, replied "thank you, i will think about it". In Japan (from personal experience) people rarely say "no" bluntly. In many cases one is more likely to say "it will be difficult" or "i have to think about it" or something similar that is other than "no" but does not mean "yes". Well, silly Pluschenko probably thinks "she is thinking about and considering it" ... :) "

https://www.nikkan-gendai.com/articles/view/sports/279649/2 -google translate

Information on "studying under Plushenko" to Rika Kihira who gave up going to Canada

According to European media such as Russia, the name of the Russian emperor has emerged as a new coach to replace Mr. Orser. Evgeni Plushenko (37), who stood at the top of nine times in total at the Olympics, World Championships and GP Finals. Currently, he runs skating classes in Russia, mainly in Moscow, and is working hard to train the next generation of top skaters, mainly juniors.

Kihei is currently communicating with Mr. Plushenko of Moscow through online such as SNS and receiving specific acting advice.

Kihei has been whispering a feud with coach Mie Hamada, who has been instructed for a long time, due to a disagreement over the practice method. It is said that the reason why the coach was changed from Canadian to Russian this time is because he prioritized overcoming the challenges, although it was influenced by the corona wreck.

Kihei is improving his jumping and skating skills by succeeding in the quadruple salchow, which is said to be difficult for girls to practice in the off-season. On the other hand, there remains a problem with expressiveness, which is said to be inferior to overseas players. The aim is to improve his level by studying under Plushenko, who used his expressive power to express emotions as a weapon when he was active.

Can the Russian coach's guidance destroy the Russian stronghold?

:D

Skibean

I guess that answers the question about how Medvedeva’s training has been going. I was looking forward to seeing what new progress would be made with Eteri. Hospitalization doesn’t sound good.

hanca

Values her privacy
St Petersburg Federation posted Panin Memorial roster (scheduled for the next week, will be closed to the audience)

Victoria Vasilieva/Nikita Volodin and Stanislava Bislobokova/Dmitri Yalin in pairs!
Also, season debut of Anastasia Gubanova and the return of Aleksandr Petrov
Pairs:
Akhanteva-Kolesov
Vasilieva-Volodin Isn’t this their first competition?
Vislobokova-Yalin I didn’t see that coming! But in my view it won’t last because she can’t jump. Their first competition.
Pavlova-Spiridonov It will be also their first competition.
Solovieva- Ivanov Their second competition if we count the test skates, where they did very well.

I would really like to see the videos, if they are available!

Tinami Amori

That was a bad google translation. But even so, it says that "in the European meadia, aka Russian media", so the info exists only in Russian media, nowhere else. Because "where else" it says that Kihira announced her coaches - Lambiel and Hamada. And yet the Nikkan Gendai says that Kihira had a fight with Hamada, and that's why she is getting advise from Pluschenko.

I have no doubt though that Pluschenko IS giving/posting Kihira advise without being asked. He will do anything for publicity, his wife demands it of him, it makes them money. And if he does advise Kihira, i wonder how Trusova and Kostornaya feel about it, given that Kihira is their main foreign rival....... :rofl:

Tinami Amori

Tarasova/Morozov will not participate in Grand-Prix Moscow, but plan to participate in segments 4 and 5 of the Russian Cup.

Bigbird

I wonder, given what is going on around the world, will this years nationals really be necessary? This season just seems dead on arrival. Shouldn't they just regroup for the Olympic season? So many illnesses and injuries. Sad.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
I wonder, given what is going on around the world, will this years nationals really be necessary? This season just seems dead on arrival. Shouldn't they just regroup for the Olympic season? So many illnesses and injuries. Sad.

I thought so too before remembering that there are sponsor and broadcast/streaming considerations, as well as skaters’ genuine desire to compete, plus we the fans’ wish too see them. 💕

hanca

Values her privacy
Of course the nationals are necessary. How else to decide who should be getting financial support? If they continue to pay to whoever they have been paying this season without the nationals, then they would not be giving anyone else chance to earn the funding. And in some disciplines, it is not a good idea to assume that someone is great because he/she/they were great a year ago. For example, Tuktamysheva went from 1st at the worlds (and 2nd at the nationals within the same season) to 8th at the nationals the following season. That meant decrease of funding, because she suddenly wasn’t on the main team, but only on the reserve. And someone else had a chance to get the funding instead. Or another example, if they keep funding as it is, skaters like Osokina will miss out on funding. Last year she was only tenth, but I think she has a good chance to get into top six and get into the main junior team for funding.

Ena Grins

I hope we're able to have some modified versions of Nationals and Worlds - it's been managed in other sports already. But I also hope that skaters like Medvedeva who are dealing with serious injuries don't rush to come back too fast - with everything that's going on, this is at least a recovery and rebuilding opportunity for some.

(But the funding issue hanca just pointed out is worth considering too.)

Bigbird

I thought so too before remembering that there are sponsor and broadcast/streaming considerations, as well as skaters’ genuine desire to compete, plus we the fans’ wish too see them. 💕

Or couldn't they not do it without the spectators? It looks like that will be the safest bet. Just do livestreaming right?

hanca

Values her privacy
But injuries are happening every year. In fact, this year, because skaters had to take extended tome off, many injuries got time to finally heal. And yes, some skaters do get the virus, at the moment we know already about 4, but considering how many skaters there is, it is still not very significant numbers to be a reason to cancel the nationals.

ETA: I believe some competitions will be without audience. It is very kind of them that they are streaming it.

hanca

Values her privacy
Rylov had two surgeries, one to remove some cyst, and then another one to remove not sure whether tonsils or adenoids. They hope they will be able to do 4th and 5th Russian cup events, and possibly also the Russian GP event.

Rylov’s mother is now in hospital, it seems she has pneumonia as a complication of Covid 19.

Poor guy, he is not having a good time at the moment!

Tinami Amori

Update on Nugumanova's leg injury (said to be a break)
"I did not go to see a doctor. I continued to train on pain killers".

In a nutshell: A month ago she was walking on a street, twisted her hill to the side, and felt a sharp pain. Then pain pretty much went away and she could walk still. They (she and team) that it is just a sprain, and continued to train on pain medications, because in a certain position the leg did hurt. And so it went on like this. Then one day she fell (on the ice) and landed hard on the hurt leg. She then went to the doctors, got an ex-ray, doctors told her it is a fracture/break, but it grew back together.

Now she still feels some discomfort inside the leg, so she chose not to participate in the 2nd Russian Cup for now. She is still training, and follows all the prescribed procedures. She says "the time will heal it".

She plans to skate at the Panin Memorial competition in St. Petersburg, if all continues to go well.

Scott512

"

I have no doubt that Pluschenko contacted Rika by social media or email with a proposal "come to our rink, etc.", just like he did with everyone else. Rika, probably in good Japanese tradition, replied "thank you, i will think about it". In Japan (from personal experience) people rarely say "no" bluntly. In many cases one is more likely to say "it will be difficult" or "i have to think about it" or something similar that is other than "no" but does not mean "yes". Well, silly Pluschenko probably thinks "she is thinking about and considering it" ... :) "

Information on "studying under Plushenko" to Rika Kihira who gave up going to Canada

According to European media such as Russia, the name of the Russian emperor has emerged as a new coach to replace Mr. Orser. Evgeni Plushenko (37), who stood at the top of nine times in total at the Olympics, World Championships and GP Finals. Currently, he runs skating classes in Russia, mainly in Moscow, and is working hard to train the next generation of top skaters, mainly juniors.

Kihei is currently communicating with Mr. Plushenko of Moscow through online such as SNS and receiving specific acting advice.

Kihei has been whispering a feud with coach Mie Hamada, who has been instructed for a long time, due to a disagreement over the practice method. It is said that the reason why the coach was changed from Canadian to Russian this time is because he prioritized overcoming the challenges, although it was influenced by the ********* wreck.

Kihei is improving his jumping and skating skills by succeeding in the quadruple salchow, which is said to be difficult for girls to practice in the off-season. On the other hand, there remains a problem with expressiveness, which is said to be inferior to overseas players. The aim is to improve his level by studying under Plushenko, who used his expressive power to express emotions as a weapon when he was active.

Ye the Russian coaches can ruin the Russian stronghold. If Sasha and Aliona aint what they used to be the door is open for others at the next worlds and olympics when that would not have been the case if these 2 stayed at TT.

Super Sasha is already ticiked off at Plushenko for bringing in Princess Aliona when Sasha was supposed to be his main pupil! 😜 Now if Plushy brings in Rika Sasha will have another great girl to deal with and Sasha and Alena are kept apart from each other on the ice I think thats ridiculous. But it is what it is.

Hey Plushy Sasha doesnt ant any more sensations in the ladies discipline. ;) Okay?

Scott512

Update on Nugumanova's leg injury (said to be a break)
"I did not go to see a doctor. I continued to train on pain killers".

In a nutshell: A month ago she was walking on a street, twisted her hill to the side, and felt a sharp pain. Then pain pretty much went away and she could walk still. They (she and team) that it is just a sprain, and continued to train on pain medications, because in a certain position the leg did hurt. And so it went on like this. Then one day she fell (on the ice) and landed hard on the hurt leg. She then went to the doctors, got an ex-ray, doctors told her it is a fracture/break, but it grew back together.

Now she still feels some discomfort inside the leg, so she chose not to participate in the 2nd Russian Cup for now. She is still training, and follows all the prescribed procedures. She says "the time will heal it".

She plans to skate at the Panin Memorial competition in St. Petersburg, if all continues to go well.
Can you imagine the outrage if Little Liza was training at TT with EG with a leg fracture and on painkillers? The outrage would be palpable. Liza said she did not go to see a doctor but trained on painkillers. Hmmm. Ive said my piece. Man these athletes are so tough. I get some plantar fasciatis and its the end of the world and this girl and others like her are out there training on a broken leg thanks to painkillers. There is so much to admire about that and to worry about too

Scott512

St Petersburg Federation posted Panin Memorial roster (scheduled for the next week, will be closed to the audience)

Victoria Vasilieva/Nikita Volodin and Stanislava Bislobokova/Dmitri Yalin in pairs!
Also, season debut of Anastasia Gubanova and the return of Aleksandr Petrov
Thanks or the info. I was wondering about Nastya G. I have heard nothing about her since he Russian Cup final in February and wondered if she was even still skating. Such a nice skater too. I figured many skaters woud stop once the pandemic closed rinks for a few months. Let see what Nastya can do now that she is hopefully through puberty. Ive always appreciated her interpretation, feel and artistry. :cool:

Good luck to VV in pairs. She was promising in singles so she her switch to pairs was shocking. :confused: I think pairs would be great for Nugumanova is singles doesnt pan out for her. She is tiny and has a dynamic personaility and artistry and would be perfect for pairs

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Can you imagine the outrage if Little Liza was training at TT with EG with a leg fracture and on painkillers? The outrage would be palpable. Liza said she did not go to see a doctor but trained on painkillers. Hmmm. Ive said my piece. Man these athletes are so tough. I get some plantar fasciatis and its the end of the world and this girl and others like her are out there training on a broken leg thanks to painkillers. There is so much to admire about that and to worry about too

Frankly, I'm horrified. I'm no medical expert, but this sounds like an extremely bad idea.

lala

Ye the Russian coaches can ruin the Russian stronghold. If Sasha and Aliona aint what they used to be the door is open for others at the next worlds and olympics when that would not have been the case if these 2 stayed at TT.

Super Sasha is already ticiked off at Plushenko for bringing in Princess Aliona when Sasha was supposed to be his main pupil! 😜 Now if Plushy brings in Rika Sasha will have another great girl to deal with and Sasha and Alena are kept apart from each other on the ice I think thats ridiculous. But it is what it is.

Hey Plushy Sasha doesnt ant any more sensations in the ladies discipline. ;) Okay?

Do you know what Sasha wants, what she thinks or just believe every rumour of the Russian "sport journalism" wich looks like the worst tabloid? You couldn't read a real evidence, real story from a specified person! We could read an article without proof everything is only speculation plus Tinami's tales... :D I understand the Eteri fans and Plushenko haters really would like to see that! ;) But their desire will not be fulfilled.:plush: For example Elena already denied the speculation about her and Aliona. :respec:

Scott512

Do you know what Sasha wants, what she thinks or just believe every rumour of the Russian "sport journalism" wich looks like the worst tabloid? You couldn't read a real evidence, real story from a specified person! We could read an article without proof everything is only speculation plus Tinami's tales... :D I understand the Eteri fans and Plushenko haters really would like to see that! ;) But their desire will not be fulfilled.:plush: For example Elena already denied the speculation about her and Aliona. :respec:
Sasha and Aliona not skating on the same ice and having seperate coaches puzzles many. :confused: That did not happen at TT. Everyone gets treated the same there which may be why they arent there anymore. I hope they are happy at PA. The pressure on them to deliver major titles will be immense. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information