The Dance Hall 8: Join the Maskerade 2020-2021

Dobre

2020 YOG bronze medalists and U.S. Junior Dance silver medalists Katarina Wolfkostin & Jeffrey Chen have debuted their Junior FD to "Exogenesis: Symphony, Part 3: Redemption" by Muse

:rolleyes:Seriously. This is the problem with doing well enough for Shpilband to notice you. The next season you get handed someone's tired old program.

Ka3sha

Interview with Maria Kazakova/Georgi Reviya (GEO)

Ka3sha

Zhulin confirms that Sinitsina/Katsalapov will be competing at Russian Cup event #2 next week in Moscow (October 10/11). Nikita had a back injury, so they had to withdrew from the test skates and missed few weeks of training.

Jordan from OIP mentioned on his Instagram that he yesterday filmed Habbell/Donohue and Hawayek/Baker for the 2nd round of IPS.

heartyxo

I’m very worried about Chock and Bates.

When they said it was a “small injury” I was kinda optimistic, especially as it seemed that they were back on the ice, but I’m less so now. I heard Russian forums talking about her getting a concussion (no idea where they got that from, but I guess it’s a possibility? But it definitely seems she’s the injured one). I just hope they’re not downplaying it and it’s not 2017-18 all over again. I also hope they don’t lose out politically and momentum-wise, but I think they could, especially with improved programs from H/D.

dancing_on_ice

When they said it was a “small injury” I was kinda optimistic, especially as it seemed that they were back on the ice, but I’m less so now. I heard Russian forums talking about her getting a concussion (no idea where they got that from, but I guess it’s a possibility? But it definitely seems she’s the injured one). I just hope they’re not downplaying it and it’s not 2017-18 all over again. I also hope they don’t lose out politically and momentum-wise, but I think they could, especially with improved programs from H/D.

I'm worried about that too. My main hope is that they find a competition to debut their new programs before GP/Nats (if either of those happen). I'm unsure how seriously scores from ISP should be taken, since we don't get to see protocols, and the video quality can really distort scores and judges perceptions. As for what the injury was, there's nothing that's really come out about it. I hope we will see a USFS article which gives more details later in the season once they're ready to make their season debut.

Overall, not too surprised that C/B aren't going to be at the second chance, since it sounds like they only recently got back on the ice during the IAM Live, and three weeks isn't enough time to get competition ready, especially since they were off the ice so long before that too.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series

In Jordan's video of H/D and H/B, I paused it and am 99% sure I saw Madi and Evan in the background on the ice. It looked like they were bowing to a coach, perhaps finishing up a lesson. So at least they're back on the ice :)

ETA: Madi and Evan are listed on the Skate America roster!

Last edited:

Dobre

Kaliszek & Spodyriev are noticeably missing from the GP list. Has anyone heard if they dealing with another injury?

And I'm assuming that something is up with Mueller & Dieck as they are not only not listed here but also didn't compete at Nebelhorn.

Colonel Green

Some preliminary Grand Prix thoughts:

Skate America
  • Chock/Bates vs. Hubbell/Donohue the headline matchup, which I'd presently advantage for the latter given the former's injury/lost training time.
  • Hawayek/Baker looking to keep some distance between them and the teams trying to take their bronze medal spot.

Skate Canada International
  • Gilles/Poirier are out in front, but I feel like there's any number of ways the other two podium spaces could go.
  • Fournier Beaudry/Sorensen I would ordinarily favour for the silver medal spot, but there's some continued ambiguity around how he's doing physically post-surgery, and we obviously haven't seen them compete in a while. Then you have Fear/Gibson, Lajoie/Lagha and Smart/Diaz also from the IAM camp; and I'd throw in Soucisse/Firus, because while I'd call this an outside shot after two straight disappointing seasons, the Lanes' camp essentially opted not to bother with new programs this year and focus all on getting back to competitive shape, so one could imagine a scenario where that approach paid dividends and they really surprise people. But let's not get @Wyliefan's hopes up too much just yet.

Internationaux de France
  • Papadakis/Cizeron and Guignard/Fabbri go 1-2, not much drama there.
  • But then you have the bronze medal match, where Lauriault/Le Gac are coming off an absolutely awful season and looking to resume their post as French #2. Will the teams they lost to last year put up a fight? There's also the Lithuanians, but they've been sort of in-between coaches and with a French judging panel it'd be a big ask.

Rostelecom Cup
  • Sinitsina/Katsalapov vs. Stepanova/Bukin, whoever recovers from injury better gets the gold.
  • Bronze medal match as Zahorski/Guerreiro, similar to Hawayek/Baker, look to put down the challengers.

Not really much to say about the other two.

Last edited:

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Your concern is appreciated. :lol: I'm hoping for good things from that quarter, but we'll just have to wait and see.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
Last edited:

litenkyckling

I want to like M/S but... she's just so much stronger than him and its glaringly obvious and I find it distracting? Maybe it's because I'm not used to seeing her with him though...

(I'm only basing this off the RD as I didn't manage to catch the FD)

heartyxo

I agree on M/S- he's alright but looked "off" throughout. I found both of their programs boring TBH.

My favourites: both of H/B's, esp their RD, G/P's FD and I really enjoyed Pate and Bye as well!

H/D's programs are probably better than the last 2 years, but not the sort that will catapult them back to US #1. I just don't get why they're using Hallelujah again- it doesn't seem like a great idea.

litenkyckling

This is not related to the skating at all BUT in terms of RD costuming:
  • I would like Logan Bye to wear a tie matching Eva's adorable dress please
  • Christina's dress always looked nice but more of an orange-y red but on this camera it was such a lovely more raspberry red - so pretty!

J

Jeschke

And I'm assuming that something is up with Mueller & Dieck as they are not only not listed here but also didn't compete at Nebelhorn.
M/D just skated a test event in Dortmund. They presented a new RD and old Coco Chanel FD
You can find footage in german thread.

And they were added to IdF few days ago too.

So at least this german team is still around. I would 'worry' more about the absolute silence from Koch/Nüchtern.

Sylvia

TBD
Turkkila/Versluis are getting back in the game, which is great to see after they had to miss last season.
Finland held its first domestic competition last weekend and the here were the results of the senior dance event:
Juulia TURKKILA / Matthias VERSLUIS 184.30 1 1 (73.36 in RD, 110.94 in FD)
Yuka ORIHARA / Juho PIRINEN 162.30 2 2 (65.37 in RD, 96.93 in FD) - invited to their first GP (France)
More info is linked in the Finnish news thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-news-2018-onwards.104367/page-7#post-5871305
Kaliszek & Spodyriev are noticeably missing from the GP list. Has anyone heard if they dealing with another injury?
@mkokos82 posted an update here in GSD: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...lections-announced.107631/page-3#post-5872252

First 2 articles in this season's "Getting To Know" series from IDC:

France's Natacha Lagouge & Arnaud Caffa (4th at Nebelhorn - their 2020-21 season program music is listed in their ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00108167.htm ):

Italy's Carolina Moscheni & Francesco Fioretti:

Orm Irian

Internationaux de France
  • Papadakis/Cizeron and Guignard/Fabbri go 1-2, not much drama there.
  • But then you have the bronze medal match, where Lauriault/Le Gac are coming off an absolutely awful season and looking to resume their post as French #2. Will the teams they lost to last year put up a fight?
Galyavieva/Thauron just achieved some actual levels in the Finnstep in their RD at Masters de Patinage after a season-long drought of the things, so I'd say they're definitely not going down without a fight.

Ka3sha

So, Morozov/Bagin became the first team to officially qualify to Russian Nationals this year. They placed first at RC#2 in Moscow after Sinitsina/Katsalapov were forced to withdrew.

Victoria has a knee injury and they had to stop in the middle of the FD yesterday. According to Zhulin, she had a surgery sometime in the off-season. And here the painkillers didn’t help, so she couldn’t continue skating. They still intend to compete at RC#3 in Sochi in two weeks.
RD:https://youtu.be/pvq78uB1CsQ
FD (first half of it): https://youtu.be/kf2cKMUhB3k

Dobre

Victoria has a knee injury and they had to stop in the middle of the FD yesterday. According to Zhulin, she had a surgery sometime in the off-season.

It sounds like team S&K and Z were the walking wounded. Better this season than next, but I am sorry to hear about the knee injury.

Colonel Green

From the IAM Instagram post on the cancellation of IdF:

2BV0wvv.jpg

Dobre

Skate America starts today!!!:rollin:

Thoughts?

I'd say the most pressure is on Hawayek & Baker. Will they separate themselves or splat? Inquiring minds want to know.

Or can Green & Parsons take out Anthony & Christina on the pattern? And give us grouchy Igor moment? (Will Igor be there? Who knows? Someone who has been responsible & read the practice thread).

Can Hubbell & Donohue take advantage of whole skating event basically to themselves, or will Zach zach & wind up quarantined somewhere between the podium & Montreal?

Will I survive watching Lorraine skate with Spiridinov? (It is hard to know. Will likely require frozen Halloween candy, but she is still fabulous).

Will I be able to watch Logan skate with Navarro 2.0 without wishing he was 3 inches taller & able to skate with Lorraine? Indubitably not.

May everyone please have a safe & wonderful time! And may we see them again later in the season🙏.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information