Medvedeva leaves Orser for Tutberidze

LoopCombo

Alysa also has one the best 3A's. So you expect a skater with multiple triple axels and multiple quads not to smoke Bell and Tennell? It will be 3 nats in a row for Alysa and I predict for Anna as well. :) The pressure on Sasha and Aliona will be huge and Anna never bothered by anythng will 3 peat at Russian nationals!

Alysa almost skids to a halt before jumping her 3A, which usually looks underrated as well. Obviously, I don’t think that judges, particularly US judges at US nationals, are going to rank skaters like Bell and Tennell above Liu and her ultra-c elements, but that doesn’t mean I personally as a fan think that Liu is a better skater than they are. Not at this stage in her career. To me, she’s promising but being hyped beyond her current ability because she’s the only US lady trying ultra-c elements. She’s a good competitor, and she’s got fight to go for those hard jumps. She seems joyful. She’s also slow and has weak skating skills, and I’m just not personally a fan of pre and underrotated jumps or slow skating. I feel similarly about Anna Shcherbakova’s quads, even though I like her skating otherwise. A lot of people’s criticisms of the average Eteri girl can be applied to Liu as well.

Tinami Amori

Not a word about Mishin or even that they have already discussed potential names or anything.
I did not say it was Mishin. I said "seemed like Mishin" because Medvedeva would not agree to anything but a top coach... ;)

I also hope that Tarasova does not try to wiggle her way into Khrystalniy to "advise" Medvedeva. If i remember correctly she already tried to do that, and it did not work out... :)

LoopCombo

Not according to the judging criteria. And that's what counts when it comes to winning.

That is very true, but by those same judging criteria, is Liu is really a podium threat for beating Kamila, Trusova, or even Shcherbakova, not to mention Kihira or Young You? Other people may think so, but I personally think at her current level no chance. I may eat my words later, but that doesn’t bother me. I like being surprised.

Scott512

Alysa almost skids to a halt before jumping her 3A, which usually looks underrated as well. Obviously, I don’t think that judges, particularly US judges at US nationals, are going to rank skaters like Bell and Tennell above Liu and her ultra-c elements, but that doesn’t mean I personally as a fan think that Liu is a better skater than they are. Not at this stage in her career. To me, she’s promising but being hyped beyond her current ability because she’s the only US lady trying ultra-c elements. She’s a good competitor, and she’s got fight to go for those hard jumps. She seems joyful. She’s also slow and has weak skating skills, and I’m just not personally a fan of pre and underrotated jumps or slow skating. I feel similarly about Anna Shcherbakova’s quads, even though I like her skating otherwise. A lot of people’s criticisms of the average Eteri girl can be applied to Liu as well.
Then why do they score so high? That the game these days. I miss artistry too.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
That is very true, but by those same judging criteria, is Liu is really a podium threat for beating Kamila, Trusova, or even Shcherbakova, not to mention Kihira or Young You?
She's more of one than Bell or Tennell. Which is who you were comparing her to.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
"She is psychologically broken’Eteri Tutberidze says she will try and help Medvedeva regain her confidence on the ice"

Found the above comments on my Google feed. Any one know who is talking about whar?

giselle23

I think it’s more of a perceived betrayal by Eteri from Medvedeva’s perspective, especially since she was 17 or 18 at the time and she’d just lost the Olympic gold so she had trouble seeing the bigger picture. That might be what people mean by a betrayal. I don’t see how Eteri could have done anything different either, given her commitment to give everyone their best chance. That was her job. Also, I agree Zagitova won fair and square — with her superior tech content and good programs, I don’t really know how the judges could have given the win to a skater with a flutz and without a loop combo over a skater with a solid triple lutz-loop, plus the backloading, which was really exciting and difficult. At the time, I was cheering for Medvedeva, but I understood why Zagitova won.

Didn't Zagitova win by 1 point or something nearly as close? Evgenia's flutz had nothing to do with Zagitova winning. And neither did the judges, except unintentionally, in their scoring. What doomed Evgenia's chance for gold was Alina's higher tech content along with her PCS, that ballooned as the season went on. It was obvious to me, at least, that Evgenia probably couldn't win with Alina scoring 9+ in components.

Sylvia

TBD
"She is psychologically broken’Eteri Tutberidze says she will try and help Medvedeva regain her confidence on the ice"

Found the above comments on my Google feed. Any one know who is talking about whar?

Scott512

Eteri trying to solve a skater's psychological problems is like Trump trying to put an end to the practice of name-calling. :lol:
If President Trump a 2 time 2 time 2 time Nobel Peace Prize nominee can foster unimaginable and unforseen peace between North Korea and South Korea, UAE and Israel and Kosovo and Serbia then Eteri Tutberidze can solve a skaters psychological issues. ;) I prefer the word issues to problems.

Zhenya will regain some lost confidence and mental toughness just by being home. This will be fascinating to see unfold. I hope Zhenya has good things happen this season whatever this unique season becomes.

Bigbird

The child is past her prime. Maybe she has come back to Eteri to map out a retirement strategy. She is noticeably weaker than all the girls. One cannot say if its because of so many years of extreme dieting or just her nature. But I hope she can wrap up her career with class.

Natanielle825

Alysa also has one the best 3A's. So you expect a skater with multiple triple axels and multiple quads not to smoke Bell and Tennell?
Lol no. It's Amazing that she can do a triple axel but it's small and slow. I believe it will get better as she gets older but rn if she was a senior it would glaring against the triple axels of Kostornaia, Kihira, You, Tuk.... And as far as I know she doesn't have multiple quads. She can sometimes land an underrotated quad lutz on one foot. Poor quality costs a lot of points and if she continues to compete them that way before she can actually do them, she will lose to internationally no matter how much the USFS drools over her.

Natanielle825

But I hope she can wrap up her career with class.
I hope so but idk if Eteri cares about such a thing. She was perfectly happy to let Alina end her career sobbing at the GPF. Kind of a side note but that really rankled me. I was happy to hear Alina say going into the 2020 season that she was now skating for herself not for results. Then I'm pretty sure she proceeded to cry at every competition. If I was Eteri before Russian nationals I would have said, "You are the Olympic champion. Everyone in that audience loves you and will give you a standing ovation no matter how you skate. If this is your last performance, go out there with a smile and skate your last skate for yourself and your country because you deserve it." Not, "Oh, you don't have a chance at the podium and you fall sometimes so stay home if you want and cry about it."

VGThuy

Lol no. It's Amazing that she can do a triple axel but it's small and slow. I believe it will get better as she gets older but rn if she was a senior it would glaring against the triple axels of Kostornaia, Kihira, You, Tuk.... And as far as I know she doesn't have multiple quads. She can sometimes land an underrotated quad lutz on one foot. Poor quality costs a lot of points and if she continues to compete them that way before she can actually do them, she will lose to internationally no matter how much the USFS drools over her.

People were saying the same thing about Nathan Chen circa 2016 and Vincent Zhou circa 2017 and beyond. Anyway, the original post you quoted was about Alyssa beating Bell and Tennell.

Scott512

People will be singing a different tune when Alysa cruises to her third straight national championship in January. That is if they even have it. Bradie had a breakthrough season making the GPF but changed coaches because Alysa has Bradie and Mariah realizing they need to do much more scoring wise. In fact with Canadian shakting struggling the good ole US of A is the only team besides Japan that could challenge a very deep Russian team for team gold in the next winter olympics. That is because of Alysa and Nathan. If Alysa score huge in the ladies team competition that could put America in the mix. We know the Russian girls will score big so Alysa will need to as well.

Skibean

I never got the impression that Alina enjoyed skating. She seemed happy at the Olympics, but I don’t recall she skated a clean program after that, and she seemed to either cry or look miserable at every competition.
Zhenya seems to have a love for skating, or she would’ve given up by now. I really admire her grit and determination. She also has one of those personalities that makes her hard to dislike. Very outgoing and friendly.
But- is it true she was talking to other coaches about a transfer before test skates? If so, I feel bad for Orser. He may have truly been in the dark

Skibean

Didn’t Alina become World Champion a full year following the Olympics - 2019?
She did. I can’t remember if she skated clean or not at that worlds. Major props to her for her world title, but i remember all the drama leading up to Worlds that year. She didn’t want to compete. She looked miserable.
And this is nothing against Alina at all. She’s a nice girl and obviously a huge talent to go out there and win when it seemed painfully obvious it was the last place she wanted to be.

All my post was initially saying is that Alina never seemed to enjoy skating. Especially after her Olympic win.

Scott512

She did. I can’t remember if she skated clean or not at that worlds. Major props to her for her world title, but i remember all the drama leading up to Worlds that year. She didn’t want to compete. She looked miserable.
And this is nothing against Alina at all. She’s a nice girl and obviously a huge talent to go out there and win when it seemed painfully obvious it was the last place she wanted to be.

All my post was initially saying is that Alina never seemed to enjoy skating. Especially after her Olympic win.
Yes Alina skated 2 clean programs to win worlds like in the olympics.

Back to Zhenya. Many are outraged at her return to TT and EG while others are more open to this idea such as moi since it was the pandemic that caused it to happen and Zhenya had no to her viable options I think Zhenya got assurances things will be different with Eteri this time around. I also think there is a secret master plan in effect for Zhenyas career from the Rusfed and Eteri! :cheer2::cool: That is what probably won Zhenya over to going back.

LoopCombo

She's more of one than Bell or Tennell. Which is who you were comparing her to.

You might be right. I know the US federation seems to think so. I guess with her pre and underrotated jumps, I wondered if maybe Alysa wouldn’t be as successful with them anymore by the Olympics. It was a speculation about her technique holding up in the future, but I mean she’s changed coaches now and is still young so I might be wrong. If she can’t do quads or triple axels, though, I don’t think she could beat Bradie or Mariah at the Olympics, and that is what I meant.

LoopCombo

Didn't Zagitova win by 1 point or something nearly as close? Evgenia's flutz had nothing to do with Zagitova winning. And neither did the judges, except unintentionally, in their scoring. What doomed Evgenia's chance for gold was Alina's higher tech content along with her PCS, that ballooned as the season went on. It was obvious to me, at least, that Evgenia probably couldn't win with Alina scoring 9+ in components.

Agree with you, but part of Alina’s higher tech content was not having a flutz. Even if Evgenia’s and Kaetlyn’s flutzes weren’t called, judges are aware that it’s there. That’s my personal opinion though. Definitely agree about Alina’s increased PCS in the Olympic season being the biggest factor, but also, I meant exactly what you just said about the judges: they scored the competition, which Alina happened to win with their scoring. I wasn’t implying anything more. If I was a judge, I’d give a better score to the better tech too, if it was well executed, as Alina’s clearly was.

Perky Shae Lynn

The move is strategic. When Medvedea moved to Canada, she was still competitive. She needed a different approach, as she was no longer a 95lb child. But the back injury did her in. There is no NA professional skating market to speak of. She isn't a celebrity. College may be a great idea in theory, but she still wants to skate. What is the point of having huge expenses - and nothing to show for it?

In Russia, she is still not winning anything. But she doesn't have any living expenses, and training expenses are controlled. She'll do TV, go to acting school, show her art, design costumes - whatever. That's what it's all about. Do people really think she is making the move for purely skating reasons?

LoopCombo

People were saying the same thing about Nathan Chen circa 2016 and Vincent Zhou circa 2017 and beyond. Anyway, the original post you quoted was about Alyssa beating Bell and Tennell.

Sorry, I tried to clarify my original post in another post. I meant that Liu would be beaten by Bell and Tennell if she loses her quad and 3A, which with how she jumps them now looks like a possibility to me. And regardless of whether she can continue to beat Bell and Tennell with them, she will lose internationally until she improves the quality of those elements. I hope she does improve.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
The move is strategic...

In Russia...she doesn't have any living expenses, and training expenses are controlled. She'll do TV, go to acting school, show her art, design costumes - whatever. That's what it's all about. Do people really think she is making the move for purely skating reasons?

Exactly what I’ve been saying for the past two days. This is about setting the stage for a pro career in Russia. 🇷🇺

Maximillian

RIP TA
But- is it true she was talking to other coaches about a transfer before test skates? If so, I feel bad for Orser. He may have truly been in the dark

I think given the circumstance and how people's approach to daily living is always TBD, right now, I wouldn't be so hard on her. It was probably becoming clear to her that returning to Canada was untenable but she probably didn't feel like opening up a conversation that might not have to be opened up until it was absolutely necessary. I don't know about anyone else, but I really don't like starting a conversation about ending a relationship, be it personal or professional until I absolutely have to.

Tinami Amori

She did. I can’t remember if she skated clean or not at that worlds. Major props to her for her world title, but i remember all the drama leading up to Worlds that year.
Not only she skated clean SP and FS to win World 2019 Titles, she also won first place and medals at several GP events that year and next year.

Her coaching team, based on interviews and videos, their comment, her comments, do give her a complete freedom to chose, to skate or not to skate competitively. Alina herself tells the truth, she has no motivation at present, she won all possible titles, but she is not ready to give up skate and keeps waiting for "that motivation wave". She is also scared like many others "to leave the only career and occupation that she knew all her life" and to fall into a state of "nothingness" and get depressed. She smartly chose to do commercial projects, and to attend university in a field she is interested in.

Eteri and Team has NOTHING to do with Alina not skating. They support her either way, she has her place at the rink, her dressing room, her ice time, her training (there are fotos of all this that come up occasionally on IG and other social media).

Several people mentioned that she has a beautiful new SP which she is practicing. She chose to do Ice Age for now, and that is smart, it is a lot of money, and in-line with her education in Media/Journalism. She is doing things that she had no time to do before, like walk around Moscow at night, and look around (she's been in Moscow for years and never done this).

Cherub721

YEAH!
Several people mentioned that she has a beautiful new SP which she is practicing. She chose to do Ice Age for now, and that is smart, it is a lot of money, and in-line with her education in Media/Journalism.

I was hoping she would do the test skates just to show her programs, with no expectation of her competing this season (Sotnikova did it in 2016-17 season). Perhaps she'll skate the programs in shows. BTW Tinami do you know when Ice Age will be broadcasting? There was a promo posted online but it just said "soon."

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I know the US federation seems to think so.
They would be insane not to promote Alyssa who has harder tech content, did well on the JGP, and is still young.

Sorry, I tried to clarify my original post in another post. I meant that Liu would be beaten by Bell and Tennell if she loses her quad and 3A, which with how she jumps them now looks like a possibility to me. And regardless of whether she can continue to beat Bell and Tennell with them, she will lose internationally until she improves the quality of those elements. I hope she does improve.
You are assuming she will lose what tech advantage she has, not improve anything else, and that Bell and Tennell won't lose anything as they get older, which definitely happens as well.

Sure, if you assume the worst about Liu's skating future and the best about Bell and Tennell, she won't be beating them someday. I don't assume that. History shows that the older skaters struggle to add harder technical content, sometimes lose what jumps they have and top out on their PCS. (I mean no insult to Bell or Tennell's PCS but if you are near the top, there is less room to improve.) Younger skaters continue to improve PCS and retain or improve their TCS as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information