Medvedeva leaves Orser for Tutberidze

Evgeniafan

Why do some seem so convinced that Orser is glad to be rid of her? His words seem genuine.

and, what does it mean for Medvedeva now that she withdrew from her first event?

I think Brian truly cares about Evgenia, but not having to deal with the Russian federation is probably a relief.

Evgenia is already assigned to the 2nd stage, she will have to get one of the later ones.

starrynight

Is she? At some competitions and at the test skates, she appeared not to be bothered about the mistakes she made.

When I say Medvedeva is results focused I mean she’s one of those skaters who you know within herself really wants to skate and win.

As compared to some skaters who are content to collect a salary or are there because they don’t know any different, and are just being obedient to parents and coaches etc etc

Polaris

Well, a different kind of circus (note Hanyu being damn well stalked at night by the tabloids this week) and because of the language barrier, we don't see the bitchier side of it. But it is only the Russians that bring the Grand Guignol to FS.

Oh he is? What's he been up to in Japan? I don't read Japanese tabloids / news.

Evgeniafan

I
Brian and Tracy are probably drinking expensive champagne to celebrate no longer having to be part of the Medvedeva circus. I've followed Orser since he was a skater and agreeing to coach Med was probably the dumbest mistake I've ever seen him make.

I don't think Brian and Tracy feel that way. Media circus in Russia, I'm sure they will not miss. But Evgenia was well liked at TCC.

Frau Muller

From Puerto Rico…With Love! Not LatinX!
Even if she skates cleanly with her top jumping passes, would Medvedeva have a chance of making top 3 (among Sr-eligible) at Russian Nationals? I truly believe that she’s doing this to set the stage for a future pro career...back in the fold of Mother Russia. Let’s get real. I do wish her well; she’s an adorable personality...probably the most natural among all of the Russian skaters who've retired in the last 7-8 years. Zagitova has the classic face to sell Shiseido but Medvedeva is THE total media-personality package.

Last edited:

Sasha is DIVINE

Well look where Tsury is at now. She traded her back for the Worlds silver medal. She's the worst example to use and proves people's fears about how poorly Tutberidze would handle Med's injuries.

But do we know how Elizabet feels? I would need to see that before rushing into any sort of judgment. Because it may seem sad to some, but there are athletes who are fine with the trade off of long-term damage for those medals. I don't know how Tursynbayeva feels.

I know Tara Lipinski has had numerous injuries and surgeries. But she will probably be buried with that gold medal around her neck. For some people, the injuries are part of sport.

muffinplus

But do we know how Elizabet feels? I would need to see that before rushing into any sort of judgment. Because it may seem sad to some, but there are athletes who are fine with the trade off of long-term damage for those medals. I don't know how Tursynbayeva feels.

I know Tara Lipinski has had numerous injuries and surgeries. But she will probably be buried with that gold medal around her neck. For some people, the injuries are part of sport.

She signed up for Twitter and made an angry post when people started blaming Eteri for her back injury due to making her jump quads

TallyT

Oh he is? What's he been up to in Japan? I don't read Japanese tabloids / news.

Absolutely nothing except quietly training at Sendai Ice Rink (he's done it before at night) but it's Japan and he's Hanyu. So staying in hiding outside the rink at night to snap a few photos of him coming and going are worth money.

Sasha is DIVINE

Even if she skates cleanly with her top jumping passes, would Medvedeva have a chance of making top 3 (among Sr-eligible) at Russian Nationals? I truly believe that she’s doing this to set the stage for a future pro career...back in the fold of Mother Russia. Let’s get real. I do wish her well; she’s an adorable personality...probably the most natural among all of the Russian skaters who've retired in the last 7-8 years. Zagitova has the classic face to sell Shiseido but Medvedeva is THE total media-personality package.

But would she really need to return to Eteri to launch a pro career? I read upthread that she's been doing well in Japan and elsewhere for years. That just doesn't make sense to me.

But show skating is not really my area of expertise so I would have to defer to someone who is. (I have never even enjoyed watching professional skating, let alone shows and exhibitions.)

She signed up for Twitter and made an angry post when people started blaming Eteri for her back injury due to making her jump quads

So she was defending Eteri?

starrynight

Absolutely nothing except quietly training at Sendai Ice Rink (he's done it before at night) but it's Japan and he's Hanyu. So staying in hiding outside the rink at night to snap a few photos of him coming and going are worth money.

Hanyu being a closed book creates an air of mystery which probably makes him more interesting to the tabloids.

Willin

Based on the statements it sounds less like she wanted to go back to Eteri and more that she went back to Eteri because she couldn't train with Orser for COVID reasons. I don't think she has any animosity towards or negativity about her time with Orser.

Given the timing (right after her bad test skates) and the suddenness (Evgenia doesn't seem to be the type to dump Orser with no discussion on her own), I would imagine the Russian federation played a hand in it. Remember, having her train in Russia was an expensive and unusual gamble for them. If it's not paying off with results right now and they have many ladies ahead of her in test skates why keep the extra cost going?

skylark

I have nothing but admiration for Brian Orser and how he's managing this. I believe that his desire and concern are for what's best for Zhenya, and he sees that it's impossible for her to leave Russia right now, and also it's not working to try to coach her from half the world away. I think she needs the real presence of her coach; virtual presence might be enough for some but not for her ... that quality in itself is part of her charm, and her dynamic. Also, I think he'll be relieved not to be part of the circus. When Eteri made Zhenya's switch to his team a personal fight with him, he took a step back and has been careful of his words since then.

I am horrified by the photo of Zhenya with her new/old team. I am not judging anyone who finds it funny, we all have different ways of coping with situations and the lens we view them with. But to me it is just nightmarish. However, I have nothing but admiration for Zhenya's spirit, and I think she'll come through this like the world champion she is.

Tinami Amori

I think Orser’s response was very classy. He displays respect and caring for Medvedeva. He doesn’t want this to be a huge media circus, and good for him.
He had plenty of media circus in his younger days... :)

Why such animosity?
I don't like celebrities who take audience and fans for fools, and "sell them b.s." and what is convenient now but not really true just to get ahead. That's what Med often did in her statements. All that she said and hinted during these 2 years in Canada at TCC contradicts her move back to Eteri and to Khrystalny.

So will anyone believe her when she will sing a different tune now about working with Eteri?

Well look where Tsury is at now. She traded her back for the Worlds silver medal. She's the worst example to use and proves people's fears about how poorly Tutberidze would handle Med's injuries.
Tursy is doing great! In the past year she resumed her music practice, composed several piano pieces, passed exams and was admitted to Moscow Institute of International Relationship (which is one heck of a university to attend). And from her childhood/teen years she had many medals and World Silver Medal.... That's how life should be lived.

My first though when i read the news last night about Eteri and Med.... :) Rembrandt said it so well.

Sasha is DIVINE

Warning: This announcement was very December 25th for me, so I kind of have a lot of thoughts.

I'm very curious if Eteri can work with a female skater over 18 years old.

As in, a skater past her 18th birthday or a skater 19 or older? Medvedeva already worked with Tutberidze when she was 18 and I know it's become popular to say that Zhenya didn't even deserve to make the podium in Pyongyang, but I am of the belief that if Medvedeva hadn't gotten injured in late 2017, she would have her Olympic gold and this would all be a moot point.

I think it's clear that if these were actually "test" skates in any kind of qualitative sense, then Zhenya failed. Also, unfortunately she is not a skinny young Asian man with effortless Polina Edmunds-esque jumps. She needs a hands-on in-rink approach. This whole remote-coaching was never a tenable idea and should have been nixed months ago. The failed(?) cartwheel appeared to be a symbolic cry for help.

Fans have a lot of differing opinions regarding Eteri and her techniques. I personally believe Tutberidze probably knows Medvedeva better than anyone as Zhenya started working with Eteri around 8 or 9 years of age.

They were also one of the best partnerships in modern skating history. It feels like yesterday when Lipnitskaia's growing body betrayed her at 2015 Skate America and it manifested in resentment towards Medvedeva. It's a situation ripe for irony when Medvedeva was in turn usurped by her own teammate Zagitova in a similar fashion in front of the whole world at the Olympics.

Only, as was mentioned upthread, I definitely think Eteri preferred Zhenya to Alina and maybe even wound up feeling guilty she played such an integral part in her favored student just missing out on something they had been working towards together for 10 years.

Anyway, I am not naive or stupid, and I see all the extenuating circumstances in play, but it is nice to see both women being mature enough to let bygones be bygones for now in pursuit of a bigger goal. Brian has also been nothing but classy, but it's not like he really has a choice if Zhenya could not actually enter Canada 🍁 (I keep reading this, but am not sure how true it actually is).

I will admit though, I am very excited about this reunion. The nostalgia alone makes me misty-eyed. I also think if anyone can get Zhenya into the kind of shape she'll need to be to make it onto major teams out of Russia, it's Eteri.

In fact, Eteri could very well be Zhenya's last and final hope. Why not move to Eteri for one last push? It's not the worst idea, because the passing of time stops for no one.

And I say that as one of Zhenya's biggest fans who has loved her since the 2014 Junior Grand Prix Final where she was wearing that brown dress. And even 3 or 4 days ago I was saying if she wants to keep skating, I hope it's because she wants to continue to improve her style and artistry. Cause honey, I'm just not sure the jumps are there anymore.

And I admit I was a bit confused on what the end-goal was. It seemed very unlike Zhenya to just be content with carrying on Fumie Suguri Style. She is fiercely competitive and has won nearly everything in the sport. I don't want to think she is only still skating because of the one thing she didn't win.. because that would be, well.. unrealistic, to put it nicely.

Cause unless a Drop Dead Gorgeous situation happens where everyone but her gets deathly ill and is unable to compete, I can't see her winning in Beijing. Possibly her greatest career achievement is that she went nearly 2 1/2 years without being beaten (including an undefeated season) which is just incredible to think about. But some things are more about timing than anything else.

She couldn't do it (win the Olympics) when she was 18 and already most-likely past her prime physically.. At 22, it would most likely literally take an act of God. Eteri is good, but she's not that good. I'm praying 🙏 she has more attainable, reasonable goals in mind. Like maybe making the Olympics and getting to compete fully healthy. That is still a very tough ask with the depth in Russia, but it's not a goal where she would be doomed to failure.

I wonder how Alina feels about this? I can't wait to watch this play out!

I get the impression that the less Alina has to think about, the happier she is. Also, I imagine she is very busy in her studies to become the next Diane Sawyer.

I just left a little comment on Eteri's Instagram.
Not that she'll care. But I enjoyed doing it.

So did I! 🙈 It was mostly an excuse to practice my beyond-basic Russian. I wrote: "Спасибо Этери и Женя 💗"

And I mean it! They have truly given me my life today!

rambles, multiple

Your concern over people I don't think you even know personally is... well, a plethora of adjectives come to mind, but the one I'm going to start with is alarming. Because your post was a bit unsettled. However, it is certainly worthy of a few more descriptors: fantastical, offensive (for the multiple people you speak about as though you know that you don't know), ridiculous, senseless, confusing, pointless, etc. But I will thank you for the entertainment, because a boy do like to be entertained 😍.

TSL need to locate Doug Hawe for another insider scoop interview.

I think it's safe to say Doug Haw won't be on TSL anytime soon.

Scott512

Its a hard life for the skaters. Falling thousands of times in practice is not good for the back or body. But its the price they pay. Lilbet is still not back. And why come back this season for any injured skater? Its a mess due to C19.

I hope Zhenya can get a mental reboot back with Eteri. its been a rough year for her being quarantined in multiple countries and 3 months in Japan.

Bellanca

Old habits die hard. Never say never, but one spotty, dicey practice, and...

Two stubborn, bullheaded personalities with fiery temperaments to revisit. It should be interesting—drama part 2.

I believe the decision was based on location and convenience—a significant reason for this reunited team. Orser is too far away now (under the circumstances). Their intentions appear genuine, but this will test both Eteri and Evgenia.

ETA: The Zag, Med rivalry is so last quad - been over and done for a long time. Other challenges lie ahead, but this is not one of them.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I hope Zhenya can get a mental reboot back with Eteri. its been a rough year for her being quarantined in multiple countries and 3 months in Japan.
Old saying: when you chase after two rabbits at once, you don't cat any. Med went to Japan under a false pretense, and was trying to outsmart everybody thinking she can get ice-time, while all others were on quarantine in their respective countries. She got stuck there instead, and made many Japanese fans angry.

VGThuy

Honestly, she may as well return to Eteri. I didn’t see much improvement under Orser and in fact she still skates like she did when she was with Eteri except her jumps are worse. It’d be one thing if her skating skills improved immensely and her jumps got bigger, but they didn’t. If she’s going to skate that way anyway, might as well go back to the coach who put her at such a disadvantage with that technique in a first place because she knows how to work it.

Scott512

Warning: This announcement was very December 25th for me, so I kind of have a lot of thoughts.

As in, a skater past her 18th birthday or a skater 19 or older? Medvedeva already worked with Tutberidze when she was 18 and I know it's become popular to say that Zhenya didn't even deserve to make the podium in Pyongyang, but I am of the belief that if Medvedeva hadn't gotten injured in late 2017, she would have her Olympic gold and this would all be a moot point.

I think it's clear that if these were actually "test" skates in any kind of qualitative sense, then Zhenya failed. Also, unfortunately she is not a skinny young Asian man with effortless Polina Edmunds-esque jumps. She needs a hands-on in-rink approach. This whole remote-coaching was never a tenable idea and should have been nixed months ago. The failed(?) cartwheel appeared to be a symbolic cry for help.

Fans have a lot of differing opinions regarding Eteri and her techniques. I personally believe Tutberidze probably knows Medvedeva better than anyone as Zhenya started working with Eteri around 8 or 9 years of age.

They were also one of the best partnerships in modern skating history. It feels like yesterday when Lipnitskaia's growing body betrayed her at 2015 Skate America and it manifested in resentment towards Medvedeva. It's a situation ripe for irony when Medvedeva was in turn usurped by her own teammate Zagitova in a similar fashion in front of the whole world at the Olympics.

Only, as was mentioned upthread, I definitely think Eteri preferred Zhenya to Alina and maybe even wound up feeling guilty she played such an integral part in her favored student just missing out on something they had been working towards together for 10 years.

Anyway, I am not naive or stupid, and I see all the extenuating circumstances in play, but it is nice to see both women being mature enough to let bygones be bygones for now in pursuit of a bigger goal. Brian has also been nothing but classy, but it's not like he really has a choice if Zhenya could not actually enter Canada 🍁 (I keep reading this, but am not sure how true it actually is).

I will admit though, I am very excited about this reunion. The nostalgia alone makes me misty-eyed. I also think if anyone can get Zhenya into the kind of shape she'll need to be to make it onto major teams out of Russia, it's Eteri.

In fact, Eteri could very well be Zhenya's last and final hope. Why not move to Eteri for one last push? It's not the worst idea, because the passing of time stops for no one.

And I say that as one of Zhenya's biggest fans who has loved her since the 2014 Junior Grand Prix Final where she was wearing that brown dress. And even 3 or 4 days ago I was saying if she wants to keep skating, I hope it's because she wants to continue to improve her style and artistry. Cause honey, I'm just not sure the jumps are there anymore.

And I admit I was a bit confused on what the end-goal was. It seemed very unlike Zhenya to just be content with carrying on Fumie Suguri Style. She is fiercely competitive and has won nearly everything in the sport. I don't want to think she is only still skating because of the one thing she didn't win.. because that would be, well.. unrealistic, to put it nicely.

Cause unless a Drop Dead Gorgeous situation happens where everyone but her gets deathly ill and is unable to compete, I can't see her winning in Beijing. Possibly her greatest career achievement is that she went nearly 2 1/2 years without being beaten (including an undefeated season) which is just incredible to think about. But some things are more about timing than anything else.

She couldn't do it (win the Olympics) when she was 18 and already most-likely past her prime physically.. At 22, it would most likely literally take an act of God. Eteri is good, but she's not that good. I'm praying 🙏 she has more attainable, reasonable goals in mind. Like maybe making the Olympics and getting to compete fully healthy. That is still a very tough ask with the depth in Russia, but it's not a goal where she would be doomed to failure.

I get the impression that the less Alina has to think about, the happier she is. Also, I imagine she is very busy in her studies to become the next Diane Sawyer.

So did I! 🙈 It was mostly an excuse to practice my beyond-basic Russian. I wrote: "Спасибо Этери и Женя 💗"

And I mean it! They have truly given me my life today!

Your concern over people I don't think you even know personally is... well, a plethora of adjectives come to mind, but the one I'm going to start with is alarming. Because your post was a bit unsettled. However, it is certainly worthy of a few more descriptors: fantastical, offensive (for the multiple people you speak about as though you know that you don't know), ridiculous, senseless, confusing, pointless, etc. But I will thank you for the entertainment, because a boy do like to be entertained 😍.

I think it's safe to say Doug Haw won't be on TSL anytime soon.
I haave never heard anyone say Zhenya should not have been on the podium in 2018 olympics. That is LOL funny. The ? was always gold or silver.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
I just saw this on a news outlet and ran here to see if you guys were all discussing it and of course!!

It’s like a Telenovela!!

I did see a couple days ago with the Russian test skate she was at the board talking to Brian on the phone and everything seemed great. Were there any signs? Was she not adaptable to Canada or did she really want to go back once other students left?

Scott512

Old saying: when you chase after two rabbits at once, you don't cat any. Med went to Japan under a false pretense, and was trying to outsmart everybody thinking she can get ice-time, while all others were on quarantine in their respective countries. She got stuck there instead, and made many Japanese fans angry.
They should forgive her. Zhenya is human. She thought she could do the shows and get ice time in Japan. It backfired. No one knew at that point what would happen C19 wise and that all sports would be shut down for months. Zhenya gambled and lost. Now she gambled going back to Eteri. I hope she wins that gamble.

Tinami Amori

Zhenya gambled and lost.
She did not just gamble! Gambling is good. She also lied, twisted facts and disregarded rules (if we're talking about her Japan attempt).

Good Gambling is when you only bet honestly and only your own resources which don't affect others.

Scott512

She did not just gamble! Gambling is good. She also lied, twisted facts and disregarded rules (if we're talking about her Japan attempt).

Good Gambling is when you only bet honestly and only your own resources which don't affect others.
I think she wore masks etc. Some in Japan were frustrated she was there so long. But Zhenya couldnt leave.

Tinami Amori

I think she wore masks etc. Some in Japan were frustrated she was there so long. But Zhenya couldnt leave.
She went there during the harshest times, when most countries were going on quarantine and asking people to stay where they are, telling her fans that she wants to start practicing for the Ice Show (which was on a verge of being cancelled). She made it sound (in her Russian IG) as if organizers invited her, but they did not and had nothing to do with her coming to Japan alsmost 2 MONTHS earlier than the stated date. She wanted to see if she can get ice time while other competitors were on quaranteen.

Had she said honestly that she is going to Japan to look for ice-time, then no problems, "fast feet is what feeds the wolf". But she wanted to hide the fact that she wants a skating advantage, and lied about her intentions inventing "Ice Show" as a reason.

Scott512

She went there during the harshest times, when most countries were going on quarantine and asking people to stay where they are, telling her fans that she wants to start practicing for the Ice Show (which was on a verge of being cancelled). She made it sound (in her Russian IG) as if organizers invited her, but they did not and had nothing to do with her coming to Japan alsmost 2 MONTHS earlier than the stated date. She wanted to see if she can get ice time while other competitors were on quaranteen.

Had she said honestly that she is going to Japan to look for ice-time, then no problems, "fast feet is what feeds the wolf". But she wanted to hide the fact that she wants a skating advantage, and lied about her intentions inventing "Ice Show" as a reason.
Where do you get all these sayings from? ;) I like this one about the wolf. I dont think Zhenya is as stealthy as a wolf. Like I said she gambled on her move to Japan and it backfired. She rolled the dice and they came up craps.

Well if Zhenya went to Japan 2 months before the shows then it was for ice time first hoping Japan would not completely shut down life and sports and ice skating rinks. But that happened and the shows were cancelled and Evgenia was stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information