Royalty Thread #13: Zooming in on our favorite royals

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershocks

Banned Member
Beatrice and Eugenie both were memorable brides. Their dresses suited each of them perfectly! Beatrice's wedding seems more romantic due to it's simplicity and privacy. It would be nice if Eugenie and Beatrice were able to be as stylishly consistent in their everyday wear, which is often hit or miss. They are full-figured with beautiful complexions, similar to the Queen in her youth. Perhaps retro styles are more complementary for Beatrice. The champagne color of her borrowed vintage dress went perfectly with her coloring.

In recent news, it's been revealed that Beatrice is the first royal bride in a long while to depart from the tradition of having a wedding band made from Welsh gold. Edo worked with jewelry designer, Sean Leane to create a gorgeous, platinum Art deco wedding band to match the fabulous engagement ring that Edo designed for Beatrice. Edo also wears a wedding band, like Harry. Most royal men and some married-ins choose not to wear a traditional wedding band.

It's better that way.

CP Victoria's wedding dress remains the best - of this century, at least - but Beatrice looked wonderful on her big day.

This is a lovely dress on CP Victoria. And it is similar (as ryanj07 said earlier) in its simple, classic style to Meghan's wedding dress (which had slight fit issues probably due to her losing weight in the lead-up to her wedding day). Meghan's veil as @JJH said, is everything. It's stunning, gorgeously made, and the statement value still holds since what it stands for remains part of what M&H will continue to work on via their roles with the QCT.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The below article shows a second released photo of Prince George ahead of his 7th birthday, tomorrow:

Royal Reviewer video with additional photo I hadn't seen of Edo & Beatrice on their wedding day, plus wedding and engagement ring pictures, and a view of what the chapel looks like inside, although it's not a photo of the recent royal wedding that took place there. This review also provides details on the evening wedding reception, with a group of 14 friends and family. Social distancing guidelines were followed. Bea & Edo and some of the guests slept over inside glamping pods set up on the grounds of Royal Lodge:

An article that discusses the evening wedding reception:

ETA:
A nice rundown on Beatrice's life growing up, with cute pictures of her & Eugenie, and brief interview clips:

Last edited:

Brenda_Bottems

Banned Member
Needless to say,I am pleasantly surprised Beatrice chose such a classy and ladylike ensemble. I was expecting something modern and gaudy.

-BB

loopey

I think Beatrice's dress is my favorite of the 4 (Kate, Meghan, Eugenie & Beatrice - I can't remember Zara's, lol). I think the puffy sleeves were an homage to her mother's dress.
I have to confess, even in the 80's I did not care for Diana's dress. I loved Fergie's and thought it complimented her beautifully. Having said that so far as the younger royals, here's my list of favorites:
1) Best Dress: Eugenie.
2) Best Veil: Meghan.
3) Best Hair/Makeup: Zara.
4) Best Tiara: tie - Meghan and Beatrice
5) Best entire package head-to-toe: Kate. (Although she didn't wear my favorite dress, veil, or Tiara, she was just stunning, her carriage and sophistication remarkable, and she is my overall favorite "royal bride package").

loopey

Royal adjacent since she married at Kensington Palace Gardens (okay, not really lol) but Nicky Hilton probably has my all time favorite wedding dress. I just love the lace detail and that gorgeous train and veil.
Yes, although not from a royal wedding, this dress was magnificent!

MsZem

I see the sea

aftershocks

Banned Member
I believe baldness comes through the mother, so William can blame Diana for his hair (or lack there of). :p

No, it's Diana's father and paternal grandfather, though I don't know if it should be called 'blame.' It's just genetics. LOL! Plus, there's a certain amount of pattern baldness on Charles' side as well through his father's and both of his grandfathers' lines. Fortunately, with Grandpa Middleton's thick, full head of hair, the Cambridge boys shouldn't have much to worry about re hair loss in their 20s and baldness by their 30s.

ETA:
Another private 'royal' wedding, this time in a Monaco civil ceremony:

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member

^^ In the latter episode, the updated salmon hor d'ouevre sounds delicious!
Wild Scottish salmon cured and cooked with salt, Scottish malt whiskey & heather honey, then thin-sliced and rolled into rosettes; crème fraîche is mixed with horseradish, then dabs of this dip are placed on Scottish oat cakes (wafer thin); the salmon rosettes are placed on top of each oat cake and garnished with sprigs of watercress topped off by a small sprinkling of additional heather honey.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
The episode, Recreating Secret Recipes of the Coronation, is interesting for a number of reasons. They dig back into coronations of the past, which is fascinating and informative. I enjoyed how the chef, Paul Ainsworth, updated various recipes. The episode is also instructive in how historical features are added into the mix.

The section on George IV and his extravagant coronation feast tells us a lot about the opulence and decadence of that era in British royal history. George IV (as Prince Regent) is responsible for renovating and greatly expanding Royal Lodge on the Windsor estate, as I learned from the book I mentioned previously. I was not familiar with the Royal Pavilion at Brighton where George IV held many of his sumptuous feasts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Pavilion
The lavish coronation feast of George IV was held at London's Westminster Hall. It's fascinating to realize, as the archivist notes, that at the time of George IV's coronation, "Britain was the richest, most powerful country in the world." Due in no small part of course, to the human slave trade, in addition to military exploits and colonization. George IV's gluttony and overeating speaks to never being satiated from excess. This is reminiscent of Henry VIII's gluttony and bloody tyranny.

BTW, the references to George III being 'mad,' I always find maddening. ;) He had undiagnosed porphyria (a genetic disease unknown at the time, caused due to inbreeding). So he didn't suddenly become mad. He was driven mad by the terrible, torturous treatments administered by his ignorant doctors which only worsened and aggravated his condition.

Back to the food: That Crème à la Carême dessert, passed down from George IV's French chef,
is so tempting, but too rich for me with those ingredients. Still, it sounds yummy. Maybe I can find a way to adapt it with less rich alternatives. The King's French chef, who "invented haute cusine."
Sponge fingers brushed with kirsch liqueur & soaked in orange jelly from a packet positioned around the sides of a cake pan, with orange jelly placed on the bottom of the pan; sponge topper is also brushed with kirsch; for the filling: egg yolks & sugar, milk & vanilla forming a custard; mix in candied orange pieces and cream; Refrigerate to set, and then flip upside down to remove the pan. The jellied bottom is now on top and the sponge topper is the base.

I would use coconut milk and/or coconut cream with crème fraîche, and substitute dried cranberries instead of candied orange; also probably a light cranberry or raspberry flavored jelly instead of orange jelly.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Looking like the Middleton genes are still dominant, which bodes well for his future hair ;)

Continuing with cute royal kids, CP and Sofia each have a kid who favors them:
Just an FYI from USA Today

Is hair inherited from mother or father?
Hereditary balding is complicated, and the popular notion that it's inherited solely from your mother is incorrect. Blaming a single gene for baldness is too simplistic — in reality, your chances of losing hair are determined by a complex host of genes from your mother and father, along with some environmental factors.

aftershocks

Banned Member

In the above episode, the Scottish chef, Anna Haugh, mentions that Queen Victoria's daughter, Princess Beatrice, wore her mother's wedding dress at her own wedding to Prince Henry of Battenburg on July 23, 1885. This bit of historical information seems to enhance the speculation that at some point it might have been planned for the current Princess Beatrice of York to wear/adapt an old gown of her grandmother's for her frequently delayed, but ultimately triumphant and private, scaled-down wedding to Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi on July 17, 2020.

Last edited:

starrynight

If Kate and Meghan couldn't do it, neither will Beatrice.

Beatrice’s dress is something that regular people would wear though. Honestly I think it’s the nicest royal wedding dress seen in decades. I think that’s down to the fact that it was designed as a party dress first.

Not in a million years would a normal bride wear something heavy and plain like Meghans dress. Also Kate’s was a style that wouldn’t capture the interest of a regular wedding.

clairecloutier

Also Kate’s was a style that wouldn’t capture the interest of a regular wedding.

If I were a current bride and had anything like Kate's figure, I would have definitely loved to wear her dress! Not sure why you think it wouldn't appeal to people??

Although I like almost all of the royal wedding dresses, I think that Kate's dress is maybe the most "perfect" of all, because it has a mix of both modern and classic elements that I think will keep it looking timeless for decades. And to my eye, it's one of the most "regal" of all the gowns. And of course, just a perfect look for Kate herself.

But like I said, I do really like almost all the royal wedding dresses, even Diana's. As a child of the 80s, I will always have a fondness for her billowy romantic gown, and I agree with whoever said that it had a point of view to it. And although I've never been much of a fan of Camilla, I have to give her points for achieving a near-perfect, classy "second wedding" look with her pale blue lace dress. I did really love Beatrice's dress as well. And again, it was a perfect look for her.

Last edited:

antmanb

Not in a million years would a normal bride wear something heavy and plain like Meghans dress. Also Kate’s was a style that wouldn’t capture the interest of a regular wedding.

Really? My guilty pleasure is Say Yes To The Dress and they have both a UK and Lancashire version of the show and people still enthusiastically ask for a "Kate Middleton" dress on that show (and it' been over 9 years since they married!).

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Really? My guilty pleasure is Say Yes To The Dress and they have both a UK and Lancashire version of the show and people still enthusiastically ask for a "Kate Middleton" dress on that show (and it' been over 9 years since they married!).

OMG the UK version! I can't remember the main host's name but to a US viewer he is so camp. We seldom get that version but it's fun to watch. And he comes up with the perfect look for every figure. I don't know how he does it.

antmanb

OMG the UK version! I can't remember the main host's name but to a US viewer he is so camp. We seldom get that version but it's fun to watch. And he comes up with the perfect look for every figure. I don't know how he does it.

For Say Yes To The Dress UK it's David Emanuel who designed Princess Di's wedding gown.

The Lancashire version has Gok Wan as the host.

antmanb

I've only ever see the Gok one. Fun! (What kind of name is Gok anyway? :lol:)

He's brilliant! He hosts a show called "how to look good naked" where he unpacks a lot of people's body issues and it's really interesting. He suffered from eating disorders when he was younger and has a very interesting things to say on it.

But this has well and truly veered off topic :lol:

MsZem

I see the sea
Camilla will get us back on topic with her excellent mask - that's Queen Mathilde-level mask use!

On a more serious note, Prince Joaquim underwent surgery for a blood clot in his brain. He is expected to fully recover, but yikes.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
It's shortened and anglicized from Gwok-hing, which is Chinese.

And why the laughing face? Laughing at people's names is rude and narrow-minded.

Sorry, I thought it was probably a childhood nickname. I had no idea he was Chinese. No offense meant.

Lorac

ballettmaus

Although I like almost all of the royal wedding dresses, I think that Kate's dress is maybe the most "perfect" of all, because it has a mix of both modern and classic elements that I think will keep it looking timeless for decades. And to my eye, it's one of the most "regal" of all the gowns. And of course, just a perfect look for Kate herself.

The only thing I don't like about Kate's dress is the V neck. I would have preferred something else. Other than that, I think it's beautiful.

I also liked Meghan's dress. I wasn't a fan of the fit but the dress was beautiful, too.

But like I said, I do really like almost all the royal wedding dresses, even Diana's.

I only ever saw pictures but as a child and early teen, I was into princesses, so, of course, I loved her dress. (And every dress that an actress portraying mid-19th century royalty wore. The bigger the better ;) )

aftershocks

Banned Member
Not in a million years would a normal bride wear something heavy and plain like Meghans dress.

:huh:

Meghan's wedding dress was made of silk cady with a silk organza underskirt. That's NOT an overly heavy fabric. The fit could have been better in the midsection area, but the looser fit was likely due to Meghan having lost weight in the week leading up to her wedding day (not an unusual occurrence for most brides). And certainly not surprising in view of everything that was going on behind-the-scenes that still has not been fully revealed. ETA: As well, Meghan is short-waisted which probably makes proper fitting for her a bit more difficult. The silk cady wedding dress fabric was also prone to a bit of wrinkling, but all told, it was a dress that suited Meghan's style preferences beautifully. Her second dress for the after party is actually more Meghan's vibe, and is probably what she would have chosen for a normal, non-royal wedding ceremony (not just for the after-party).

A thoughtful commentary piece about Meghan's wedding dress:
"It was not a Cinderella choice, not one that spoke of fantasy or old-fashioned fairy tales, but one that placed the woman proudly front and center. It underscored Ms. Markle’s own independence by divesting her of frippery, while also respecting tradition ..."

As for your OTT comment about 'normal brides,' there's plenty of evidence that knock-offs of both of Meghan's wedding dresses were made and sold to future brides in the aftermath of the May 2018 royal wedding:

Also, below are some other 'not-so-normal' brides wearing somewhat similar styles to what Meghan wore (Meghan's dress was apparently inspired by Audrey Hepburn's Givenchy wedding gown styles in film and in real life).

Princess Angela of Liechtenstein's wedding gown from 2000 is almost exactly the same as Meghan's (which Angela designed herself) - a sbs comparison; I like Angela's larger bouquet better:
More on Princess Angela and her wedding gown:

FYI: Queen Margrethe of Denmark's wedding gown does seem made of heavy fabric. :p It is also similar in it's style simplicity to Meghan's wedding gown:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/123778689738584432/ (She was not Queen when she married)

Except for its neckline, Queen Silvia of Sweden's wedding gown is also very similar to the style of Meghan's Givenchy gown:

Ditto Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden's gorgeous wedding gown with its boatneck design has a very similar style simplicity to Meghan's wedding gown:
https://www.hellomagazine.com/royal...-princess-brides-royal-wedding-dress-display/ scroll down
Take a closer look at the gorgeous simplicity of Crown Princess Victoria's gown:
Very similar to the classic simplicity of Meghan's gown. All of these similar gowns with their simple lines, exquisite fabrics and finely crafted construction are absolutely timeless. Although the simplicity may not be everyone's preference, it is the simple, clean design elements which make these styles timeless, and that cannot be said of many royal or otherwise wedding gown choices.

Your take has most definitely been refuted. ;)

Additional examples:

scroll down

As well, here's a feature on 38 historic wedding gowns:

ETA:
Princess Sofia of Sweden wore a similar style to Meghan's Stella McCartney 'after-party' halter dress a month after the royal wedding:

Princess Sofia has another recent connection to Meghan DoS, in that Sofia was recently named as one of Vogue's new 'Forces for Change' honorees, in recognition of her training and volunteer efforts in assisting medical workers during this current crisis:

LOL @starrynight, I must add that although 'silk cady' is considered to be a heavier weight fabric due to its 2- to 3-ply thickness, it's not that heavy. Cady's finest characteristics are said to be its softness, stability, stretch and durability:
"Silk cady seems to have become famous because of the marriage of Prince Harry to Meghan Markle. Her wedding dress was made of the fabric and now it seems to be a very popular item to use."

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
News about Beatrice's honeymoon in the south of France. Reports are that Edo and Beatrice are planning a longer honeymoon getaway in August, which is well known to be the month that British royals go away on long holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information