Japanese figure skating 2020-21 season news & updates

Sylvia

TBD
Starting a new season thread with these article links posted by @rosewood & @denise3lz in the previous season's thread:
Hidehito Ito of JSF revealed today that they will hold all the six Regionals & Novice Nationals (Sept-Oct) with no spectators due to ********* ***** *********.

Rika Kihira announced that Brian Orser "will come in as her second coach" and that she "hopes to start training in Toronto as early as July":
English article about it.

The 2020-21 national team document (first version) was published by JSF back on April 23, 2020:
https://skatingjapan.or.jp/whatsnew/detail.php?id=49
Direct link: https://skatingjapan.or.jp/common/img/info/2020FS200423.pdf

(I've added nationals placements, Senior and/or Junior, for the singles skaters below.)

"Special" level:

Shoma Uno S1, Yuzuru Hanyu S2, Yuma Kagiyama S3/J1

Rika Kihira S1, Wakaba Higuchi S2, Tomoe Kawabata S3/J2, Satoko Miyahara S4, Kaori Sakamoto S6

Level A:

Keiji Tanaka S4, Shun Sato S5/J2, Kazuki Tomono S6, Sota Yamamoto S7, Mitsuki Sumoto S8, Lucas Tsuyoshi Honda S11/J3

Yuhana Yokoi S5, Rin Nitaya S7, Marin Honda S8, Mana Kawabe S13/J1, Hanna Yoshida S19/J3

Riku Miura/Ryuichi Kihara

Misato Komatsubara/Tim Koleto, Utana Yoshida/Shingo Nishiyama

Level B:

Koshiro Shimada S10, Tatsuya Tsuboi S-wd/J4, Nozomu Yoshioka S19/J5, Yuto Kishina S14/J6, Sena Miyake J7, Kao Miura J8

Yuka Nagai S9, Shiika Yoshioka S10/J5, Mako Yamashita S11, Saki Miyake S12, Momoka Hatasaki J4/Novice A-1, Mone Chiba S18/J6, Chisato Uramatsu S15/J7, Moa Iwano J8

Jingu Ice Messengers (synchro)

"Each reinforced player introduction page will be released [published online by JSF] on Wednesday, July 1st."

Last edited:

denise3lz

2 time national champion and 2002 Olympic representative Yosuke Takeuchi appointed as
"strengthening manager" replacing Yoshiko Kobayashi who served it 8 years.

I remember that he said "By the time next Olympics, men need 4 quads, ladies need 1 or 2 quads".

Last edited:

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Yes! We have to start somewhere, I’m very excited to see what the new season brings. I’m hoping we will see more news like this come out

Miki89

I was hoping Rika could make a coaching change but not TCC. I remember lots of fans were saying how Evgenia would improve greatly once she joins Orser but I don't see that much change after two years. There are others like Elizabet and Cha Jun-hwan whose progress seemed to stagnate. Elizabet eventually returned to Eteri. I think the environment in Toronto is quite different from when Yuna/Yuzu/Javi joined. It is much more crowded, and I wonder how much attention and time will be given to Rika. She seems determined to keep up with the Russians but part of that is also due to politics. It might not be enough even if she does get the quads.

Bellanca

I was hoping Rika could make a coaching change but not TCC. I remember lots of fans were saying how Evgenia would improve greatly once she joins Orser but I don't see that much change after two years. There are others like Elizabet and Cha Jun-hwan whose progress seemed to stagnate. Elizabet eventually returned to Eteri. I think the environment in Toronto is quite different from when Yuna/Yuzu/Javi joined. It is much more crowded, and I wonder how much attention and time will be given to Rika. She seems determined to keep up with the Russians but part of that is also due to politics. It might not be enough even if she does get the quads.
Well said. I pretty much agree with your post. I think it will be quite a different environment, a much more crowded environment, a definite adjustment, but there are coaches (second coach in this case 🤔) and their students who thrive under these circumstances. Of course, the concern is quality time and, as you mentioned, attention. We’re about to find out soon enough. Good luck to Rika! 🙂

aftershocks

Banned Member
I would think a separate thread on Kihira's move to Orser might have been posted by now, since she's a top skater and this is a significant move for her. I only became aware of it today.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
I am a bit out of touch. Are any rinks in Japan open yet for skaters to train at? Thanks in advance if anyone can tell me! :)

kittyjake5

Yes some of the rinks are open. The rinks associated with Universities remain closed. Shoma has been training as a guest skater for 2 weeks now at another rink as his club rink at Chukyo Univ. is closed.

Last edited:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
How could you see much change? When was the last time we saw her skate?

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
JSF held an on-line committee today. They confirmed the 2020-2021 schedule.
*They keep observing corona virus pandemic, though.

Novice Nationals, Oct 23-25, Gunma (ALSOK Gunma Ice Arena)
Jr Nationals, Nov 21-23, Aomori (Flat Hachinohe)
Nationals, Dec 23-27, Nagano (Big Hat)

NHK Trophy, Nov 27-29, Osaka (RACTAB Dome)
*JSF is still waiting for ISU's decision whether or not international competitions will be held, though.

ISF officially decided that they'll hold all the six Regionals and Novice Championships with no spectators. Other competitions are TBD.

It's also announced that Rika Kihira belongs to N High School Tokyo from this coming season (she belonged to Kansai University Kaisers FS Club until 2019-2020 season).

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
2020-2021 season Team Japan

Special
Men: Uno, Hanyu, Kagiyama
Women: Kihira, Higuchi, Kawabata, Miyahara, Sakamoto

A
Men: Tanaka, Sato, Tomono, Yamamoto, Sumoto, Honda L
Women: Yokoi, Nitatya, Honda, Kawabe, Yoshida
Pairs: Miura/Kihara
Ice Dance: Komatsubara/Koleto, Yoshida/Nishiyama

B
Men: Shimada, Tsuboi, Yoshioka, Kishina, Miyake, Miura
Women: Nagai, Yoshioka, Yamashita, Miyake, Hatasaki, Chiba, Uramatsu, Iwano
Synchronized: Jingu Ice Messengers

kittyjake5

JSF held an on-line committee today. They confirmed the 2020-2021 schedule.
They keep observing ******** ***** *********, though.

Novice Nationals, Oct 23-25, Gunma (ALSOK Gunma Ice Arena)
Jr Nationals, Nov 21-23, Aomori (Flat Hachinohe)
Nationals, Dec 23-27, Nagano (Big Hat)

NHK Trophy, Nov 27-29, Osaka (RACTAB Dome)
*JSF is still waiting for ISU's decision whether or not international competitions will be held, though.

ISF officially decided that they'll hold all the six Regionals and Novice Champions with no spectators. Other competitions are TBD.

It's also announced that Rika Kihira belongs to N High School Tokyo from this coming season (she belonged to Kansai University Kaisers FS Club until 2019-2020 season).

I am happy to see that Japan has a "new normal" skating plan for the upcoming season. Good news for the skaters to know that Regionals and Novice Championship
will be held although without spectators.

Last edited:

denise3lz

Difference between April 23 list to Jun 24 list is belonging of Rika Kihira.
It is changed from "(undecided)" to "N High School".

Skaters of Hamada group was changed from "Kansai Univ KFSC" to "Kinoshita Academy" at April 23 list but Kihira was "(undecided)".
It implied her coaching change but no one understand at the moment.

Last edited:

denise3lz

Raise your hand if you thought he was nuts at the time...
IIRC his remark was made at April 2019. At the moment no one surprised about it.
But policy of JSF "strengthening department" (at the moment he was deputy position) lead to increasing injury and slump of skaters last season.
It was inevitable though.

Last edited:

DreamSkates

Well said. I pretty much agree with your post. I think it will be quite a different environment, a much more crowded environment, a definite adjustment, but there are coaches (second coach in this case 🤔) and their students who thrive under these circumstances. Of course, the concern is quality time and, as you mentioned, attention. We’re about to find out soon enough. Good luck to Rika! 🙂
I would think these quality coaches give their quality time. The rest is up to the skater, to put in the work.

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Regionals/Sectionals/other domestic competitions schedule

Tohoku/Hokkaido Regionals, Oct 8-11, Niigata
Kanto Regionals, Oct 1-4, Ibaraki
Tokyo Regionals, Oct 8-11, Tokyo
Chubu Regionals, Sept 25-27, Aichi
Kinki Regionals, Oct 1-4, Osaka
Chu-Shikoku-Kyushu Regionals, Sept 24-27, Okayama

Eastern Japan Sectionals, Nov 5-8, Yamanashi
Western Japan Sectionals, Dec 29-Nov 1, Kyoto

Synchronized Skating Nationals, 2021 Feb 13-14

Eastern Japan Students Championships, 2021 Oct 17-18, Gunma
Western Japan Students Championships, 2021 Oct 23-25, Osaka

National Winter Games, 2021 Dec 5-6, Hyogo
__
Japan Open, TBD

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Memories of Yosuke Takeuchi (the new manager in the strengthening section of the fed). :saint:

2001 Nationals (photo) :plush:

Crying behind Mr Sato at Sochi Olys FS :wuzrobbed
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1275758945466871811/pu/vid/640x360/_bsbzsdShbBDWMQp.mp4

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
During IG Live Yuhana Yokoi revealed musics of her new programs.

SP: Nandemonaiya (from anime Kimi no Na Wa) choreo by Akiko Suzuki
FS: from Tom and Jerry choreo by Misao Sato

ETA:
Other program info

Kaori said somewhere that she plans to continue one of the programs or re-use one of her former programs.

Marin plans to continue La La Land. She re-makes I'm an Albatraoz (which she debuted as an ex number in January) into SP.

Last edited:

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
Hey! Midori started instagram about a week ago. Her posts are nothing special but just her daily life/exercises etc. She wishes people to get power from her IG. On the latest post she was happy to see 2700 people are following her account. She's always/forever so much lovely. 🥰

Lemonade20

If I agreed with you, we’d both be wrong.
Hey! Midori started instagram about a week ago. Her posts are nothing special but just her daily life/exercises etc. She wishes people to get power from her IG. On the latest post she was happy to see 2700 people are following her account. She's always/forever so much lovely. 🥰

Love love her, thanks for sharing!

rosewood

MTT Meter= 177
The US envelope thread reminded me of Dice saying in his recent YT video that he had left the JPN federation and that the US fed contacted with the JPN fed for asking them to release him. Prior to the video he said somewhere (maybe in another YT video? I forgot) that the US fed encouraged him to make a comeback and skate for them. I don't know how much he can catch up with the current field but, if he actually makes a comeback, I wish all the best for his challenge.

Sylvia

TBD
The US envelope thread reminded me of Dice saying in his recent YT video that he had left the JPN federation and that the US fed contacted with the JPN fed for asking them to release him.
Jack Gallagher reported on this story for his blog this past spring and just tweeted the news that Dice Murakami has been released by JSF to compete again for the USA: https://twitter.com/sportsjapan/status/1278898107166494720

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information