FSU Watch (and judge!) party: 98 Worlds ladies SP - SAT, MAY 30th @ 12pm CDT / 7pm CET

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Scanned through the thread, I can participate if you need more judges. Should be fun. I could be the Slovenian judge and cheat for Mojca Kopac.

Yes, please judge! We're getting close to a second panel. Mojca needs all the help she can get.

Veryyyyy interesting... ANL may throw his hat into the ring....

Go ahead and judge. We should have enough judges for a secondary panel.

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
3) Skater with the largest difference between highest and lowest ordinals, according to the FSU panel

With five judges in, one skater already has a difference of 10 ordinal placements.

8) Whether any skater has a range of at least 1.2 for required elements, which (I believe) was the widest range of the actual panel.

The 1.2 difference for required elements has been matched, but not yet exceeded.

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Is this going to be one-by-one or majority or both? ;)

Fortunately, 98 Worlds was still scored using majority ordinals, so that's how we're calculating.

I'll publish all the protocols/scores once we're done, and if anyone wants to calculate using OBO, please do so. I never got the hang of calculating OBO quickly, and I don't particularly care to learn now. :lol:

Clay

Who is the coach? Everywhere! Everybodeee!
I have changed my avatar to Mojca Kopac and I am campaigning backstage. Mojca is ready to rebound after a rough Olympics. She:

-“really tears into her triple loop”
-“she’s kinda spiffy, she’s got a nice quality”
-Nice straight back on that sit spin”
-According to Dick Button

Plus, she’s had her car washing program for 2 years, so she’s very comfortable with it. Let the chips fall where they may.

mjb52

I'm waiting to do predictions until after the watch party bc I remember nothing whatsoever about this competition!

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
😍

Thank you for a much needed laugh today!!!

Am I allowed to drink while I judge? I think I might need a few after the last 24 hours (and who knows what is to come in the next 24-48).

Please do! In fact, after I uploaded his marks, I suspect our esteemed German judge may have imbibed a drink or two. :lol:

And, yes, putting this together and judging this has been a very welcome distraction to everything that's happening.

D

Deleted member 221

😍

Am I allowed to drink while I judge? I think I might need a few after the last 24 hours (and who knows what is to come in the next 24-48).

I mean, I think several of the judges on the actual panel were drinking. :shuffle: By the time of Laetitia Hubert, we knew who were the happy drunks and who were the mean drunks.

mjb52

I can't believe there's no Russian judge, that's so wrong, I'm tempted to sign up, plus I have Uzbekistan and Belarus to work with, very promising.

J

Jeschke

I think I never awaited 'protocols' of any competition as yearning as these of us :gallopin1

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
Japan wasn’t a powerhouse in the 90s after Sato retired. Ito did get into the top 10 in ‘96 but by 1998 it was down to one. It wouldn’t get back to 2 until Suguri placed 7th in 2001.

Im not sure how you don’t know that Nikodinov decided to take a family trip to Bulgaria in 1998 and wasn’t available as a substitute when named. Since there were no other subs listed, only two ladies went to Worlds.

Ohhhh that was the year, right!!!! Right after Nagano Olys.....

I guess maybe I should cut back on the day drinking relatively soon.....

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
10 Marco HGK
11 skateboy
12 Plusdinfo UAE
13 @Clay SLO
14 @AngieNikodinovLove ANL

OMGGGG,

I love that Im the judge from the country of ANL!!!!!

:40beers:

Should I be relatively sober when I do this?

Added a few moments later: @Erin LOLLL.... thats what I just asked...... What are protocols and practices and standards for judges who drink?

Marco

Im not sure how you don’t know that Nikodinov decided to take a family trip to Bulgaria in 1998 and wasn’t available as a substitute when named. Since there were no other subs listed, only two ladies went to Worlds.

I don't know the details about her trip, but how important is the trip and how NOT hungry is she that she would miss her first Worlds, at home, when offered? She hadn't been to Worlds yet at that point. Most skaters trained hard so that they could compete at Worlds. Skaters like Sarah Meier and Javier Fernandez deliberately stayed on so they could compete at a major comp at home. Way to be a 2nd alternate. Did they offer the spot to Amber Corwin, 6th at Nationals and supposed 3rd alternate?

Angela took that 3rd spot to Worlds in 1999. Wouldn't it have been good poetic justice if US went down to 2 spots after 1998?

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
I don't know the details about her trip, but how important is the trip and how NOT hungry is she that she would miss her first Worlds, at home, when offered? She hadn't been to Worlds yet at that point. Most skaters trained hard so that they could compete at Worlds. Skaters like Sarah Meier and Javier Fernandez deliberately stayed on so they could compete at a major comp at home. Way to be a 2nd alternate. Did they offer the spot to Amber Corwin, 6th at Nationals and supposed 3rd alternate?

Angela took that 3rd spot to Worlds in 1999. Wouldn't it have been good poetic justice if US went down to 2 spots after 1998?

IIRC the story goes that Nikodinov hadn't even been training in serious mode for weeks by the point Worlds was coming around and went on the trip anyways without the USFSA even knowing. I always got the sense that she wasn't too heavily favored by the USFSA for a while and it very well could've been from this, but it was in a relatively weaker period (1999, 2000 with age-ineligible skaters on the podium) so she was always right up there anyways.

I can't say for 100% certainty, but I thought the issue was that there was no other alternate named on the submitted list by the USFSA and therefore her withdrawal meant no other replacement. Or they didn't want to name any other replacement. Something. I was 11 at the time, so... :lol:

ETA- now I'm reading that the reason there was no third entry past asking Nikodinov was because the USFSA thought they'd have a better chance at retaining 3 entries for 1999 with only two skaters. Back then, the results of all 3 skaters counted towards placements for the following season. But, I believe this rule was changed between 1998 and 1999 anyways. Of course they didn't know that was going to happen at the time.

Last edited:

Erin

Banned Member
ETA- now I'm reading that the reason there was no third entry past asking Nikodinov was because the USFSA thought they'd have a better chance at retaining 3 entries for 1999 with only two skaters. Back then, the results of all 3 skaters counted towards placements for the following season. But, I believe this rule was changed between 1998 and 1999 anyways. Of course they didn't know that was going to happen at the time.

I actually remember having discussions on the old FSW in 1998 about the proposals for changing how you qualified skaters at the 1998 ISU Congress and whether the changes would be retroactive to 1998 Worlds or not. I was hopeful that they would be retroactive, because under the rules in place at the time, Canada only qualified one man to 1999 Worlds between Jeff Langdon’s 8th and Sandhu’s 29th, but the new rules, which are still in place to this day, would qualify two men. Someone insisted that the rule would never be passed retroactively. Fortunately, they were wrong.

But anyway, you are right that the US could not have foreseen that the rule would definitely be changed at Congress and that it would be changed retroactively. So it was probably a good call with what they knew at the time to not send a third lady.

I’ve almost finished marking - I will freely admit I was probably the worst judge ever as I was alternating between watching the skating and watching the news last night and then it got very late and I couldn’t finish.

barbarafan

😍

I would say yes as I am sure by their judging most international judges do.

VGThuy

I finished half last night. Before I started, I was self-conscious at my abilities and didn’t think I’d know what I was doing, but I have to say that I’m getting pretty good at finding deductions and determining base values in which to deduct from. Now watch my marks be totally off-the-wall and ridiculous now that I said that.

Plusdinfo

Marks in. What a crappy set of skates! Some of the highlights, though, were British Eurosport commentators (I like them) and the fact that short programs are short! Not hard to see one, mark, go to the next, mark, and repeat.

SPOILER ALERT for people still to judge: Some may call my marks quite clumped, as I didn't have people way down below 4.6 or anything, but I didn't find anyone skating at Jennifer Robinson's speed, jumping like grandma, or anything. Still, I only found some of the 5.1/5.3-type results to be similar and maybe just one instance of having to change my "gut instinct marks" when I saw in my notes that someone had already gotten the exact same marks.

I am willing to post my standings/marks later on if anyone is interested.

Clay

Who is the coach? Everywhere! Everybodeee!
Cue ABC’s intro music! Terry Gannon is introducing Du Yankun right about now

Erin

Banned Member
I finished half last night. Before I started, I was self-conscious at my abilities and didn’t think I’d know what I was doing, but I have to say that I’m getting pretty good at finding deductions and determining base values in which to deduct from. Now watch my marks be totally off-the-wall and ridiculous now that I said that.

I totally just used mine as ordinals and didn't even bother with base values, deductions except in a very rough sense :lol: I really missed IJS. I have to say, I ignored spins a lot of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information