From Russia With Love (#36) Spring into Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

okokok777

Someone also posted that the fact that she posted a video herself in cherry blossom gardens in full bloom indicates that she did travel to the North and is no longer in Tokyo, since cherry blossom season is long over there at this point 🤷

Ooh thank you for pointing that out - I completely forgot about the cherry blossom calendars! According to this, Tokyo's full bloom dates were from mid-March to early-April and the season ended on the 6th. Aomori's are from mid-April to early-May. It started on the 17th and is currently in full bloom. Considering that she got into Japan in early April, that would suggest that the video was taken in the north.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
Ooh thank you for pointing that out - I completely forgot about the cherry blossom calendars! According to this, Tokyo's full bloom dates were from mid-March to early-April and the season ended on the 6th. Aomori's are from mid-April to early-May. It started on the 17th and is currently in full bloom. Considering that she got into Japan in early April, that would suggest that the video was taken in the north.
I love the Japanese way of doing things, like the cherry blossom calendar and the weather forecast that tells you whether or not your laundry will dry outside on a given day! 😂

Ka3sha

Is the recording of the Victoria interview available online?
Could be somewhere here

I just checked, all her previous interviews (Samarin, Tuktamysheva, Samodurova, Stepanova) were saved on IGTV

Perky Shae Lynn

Thanks for translating for us. I’ve watched this team with a mix of admiration and frustration for a while now, and it’s a shame that the CV has hit just at the time when Vika and Nikita were beginning to form a serious challenge. I think Vika has shown immense strength of character to make the partnership work, in the face of a lot of opposition and disparaging comments. She mightn’t be as flashy or charismatic as Elena, but she has the tenacity Elena lacks.
Omg this Elena lacked tenacity narrative is such bs. She didn't lack anything. She lacked a partner with a manageable personality and good work ethic (looking at you Nikita).

happycamper2554

Omg this Elena lacked tenacity narrative is such bs. She didn't lack anything. She lacked a partner with a manageable personality and good work ethic (looking at you Nikita).

Let's not.pretend elena was some perfect partner. It's been well established that the Problem was both.of them. Did Nikita handle the break up great?no. But hes not solely in the wrong.

starrynight

I think Elena was a very talented person from an artistic perspective, but just didn't have the temperament for the endless daily grind of being an athlete.

From what I recall reading, she used to be very passionate and involved during the creation/choreography process at the start of the season, but once that was done and it was all about run throughs, repeating elements etc etc etc her interest waned. Which I get - maybe it is a bit boring just doing the two programs for an entire year. I think the adrenaline and fear of a home Olympics got I/K through it.

She's someone I could see being a very effective show skater. I'd like to see her do more of that.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Thanks to @Ka3sha's link tried to listen to the other interviews Fedorova did. First of all she is horrible - her vocabulary is of a 10y.o. and she sounds like a stupid 7yo. Out of an hour of an `interview' that's imho the only worthy parts.
anyway, Stepanova:
  • she gained a lot of weight with the beginning of the quarantine, it's mainly on her behind and she explains the difference between the fat behind and the muscled behind. Now she is getting back to shape
  • she loves her body the best during the vacation when she does not train too much and has slightly less muscles
  • her parents are athletes in different sports. She liked skating hence her parents took her to the ice rink. She herself never thought of any other sport
  • her first coach was Chebotareva (coach of Kolyada and Konstantinova)
  • she is too tall for the triple jumps - she couldn't land them, her falls looked funny. She is taller than Kostner and the only tall skater with more or less equal height is Sotskova
  • when she was trying out with Bukint there were more or less queues of girls to try out with him.
  • as far as Stepanova knows Bukin's only previous partner was Ilinykh.
  • when they tried out Bukin was 13, Stepanova was 11. Bukin had highlights in his hair and brackets. Stepanova was looking weird in her stupid hat.
  • on their first senior season they fell from the very first lift
  • on Papadakis/Cizeron - Stepanova really likes that team and what they do. What they do looks so beautiful and so right that they can afford slightly less defined steps. Previously the dancers did some kind of characters that existed - the Nutcracker, the Swan lake etc- it's all lovely but it all existed before. Papadakis/Cizeron brought something new to the figure skating and they did it so well. Stepanova thinks they deserve their marks, even when they made mistakes they are forgiven - during the steps if the girl falls the +3 makes no sense, but generally yes, they do deserve their marks, Stepanova gets goosebumps when watching their programmes, she listens to the music they use etc.
  • after the competitions when they think they were undermarked they might speak to each or with the coaches emotionally, but when she reads the protocols deeper she knows they are indeed not leaders, they are forever second. In order to get out from that situation they need more than just be slightly better, they need to be a lot better.
  • one of the examples - they are faster than most of the teams who are placed higher in the worlds. But only now Stepanova feels that they are becoming a pair. They still have work to do on the lines, on being a pair - for example when they dismount from the element and they grab each other's arms only now they do it without being too visible. They still have a lot of work to do. They know their potential and they know they have a place to grow - it would be worse if they didn't realize where they have to improve. Stepanova knows what she has to work on, what Bukin has to work on.
  • they were super ready for the worlds, they changed the 2nd part of the programme and her dress.
  • the 2018 Olympics - Bukin and the coaches were very down, Stepanova was worried, but she was not killing herself. She was trying to be supportive. They were told to keep practicing because all these letters that were sent and there was a slight chance they would be allowed. Stepanova didn't want to go to the pre-Olympics camp - what for? to keep someone nervous? to just hang around? At some point Stepanova voiced her opinion and the coaches/Bukin agreed with her. Had they been invited in the end they would just fly straight from Moscow. The hardest time for her was that between and not knowing. Her reaction to not invitation was `oh well, ok'.
  • when Stepanova/Bukin first teamed bu she had a crush on him and was chasing him a bit. Bukin didn't pay any attention to Stepanova. It probably cooled her down. And then Bukin woke up and he missed the attention he was getting. So then he was the one to bring flowers and attempted to gain Stepanova's attention, including bringing her 181 roses when they participated the Bestemianova/Bukin's show in Korea. He lit candles in her hotel room, Stepanova entered it was so freaking hot there. She was a bit sorry - she had no feelings for him and she felt bad - Stepanova is generally not into fishing for attention. Nothing happened in the end, he was down for a while, but quite soon after he found a girlfriend and all went back to normal and they are very good friends, even more so - they are very close. Bukin has a gf he lives with. Stepanova is not in a relationship right now.
  • she really wants to have a family one day. She doesn't want to date just for the sake of dating. Hence she takes relationships seriously. It's hard being a female athlete and in a relationship - she doesn't have time and power after the practices to cook/clean and serve. She is waiting for a person who would understand all that.
  • many people mention how reserved Stepanova is - that Bukin is the one who shows the emotions, especially in the K&C. Stepanova gives all she has on the ice and she is exhausted in the K&C and has no emotions left. She does not want to show too many emotions, though she is very emotional inside. It's the other way around in the practices - Stepanova is more emotional and Bukin has to endure.
  • she loves it when they teach each other things on the ice and coach each other with Bukin. Instead of just being helpless and asking the coaches to help with every little thing.

p.s. while I dislike Stepanova's way of speaking I haven't spotted a single mistake. Guess there is something about the St. Petersburg athletes and the correct Russian vs the Moscow athletes...

Tinami Amori

Send her back to Russia!': Japanese fans want skate star Medvedeva KICKED OUT of country after accusing her of flouting lockdown (english version)

There are more details in russian publications, these google-translate fairly well. Some japanese fans sent messages to the Russian Embassy, asking to place Medvedeva on one of their "rescue of the citizents flight" which Russia has arranged with Aeroflot (these are weekly charter flights). It is true, there are periodic flights ex Tokyo to Moscow because there were many Russians in Japan at the time of the closing of boarders announcement. Medvedeva did not take any of these flights after she learned the show is cancelled and moved to June 2021, a year ahead, she has no business to stay in Japan. But instead she chose to stay for personal advancement, to practice and to gain unfair advantage over other skaters, including japanese ladies. People are noting it. Especially since the region she travelled to has very hight senior citizen population (subjected to xxxxx) and the region's officials issued a request for foreign tourists and others NOT to come to their territories. There is also a mention that: Japanese show organizers did NOT invite Medvedeva to come to Japan, especially since it was quite obvious that the show will be cancelled (although not official at the time), that all of this was on her own initiative. Some Russians are questioning "who is paying for all this, Medvedeva or the Federation. (this is a summary from several articles. and there is some more in them.)

MK-RU

News.ru

Life.ru

#Medvedeva fans abroad should invite her team; her&her mother, to their country. She is not welcome inJapan in a state of emergency.We canât stand troublesome person anymore.
She said she was here for the show, but the show was already postponed for a year. No need to stay here
— cerezo (@cerezo70350516) April 29, 2020

えっちゃん
@etsuko666
@RusEmbassyJ
あなたの国のエフゲニア・メドベージェワ選手は入国拒否前に滑り込み入国しました。
今年6月に予定していたアイスショー「セーラームーンPrism On Ice」の為の来日と聞いていましたが東京オリンピックの延期、フィギュア世界選手権の中止からアイスショーの中止・延期も予想出来たはず。
07:34 - 27 апр. 2020 г.

This is not going in a right direction, especially since there was an insident where during a show in Japan the earthquacke happened, and Medvedeva said "it's simply because i just skated"....

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
#Medvedeva fans abroad should invite her team; her&her mother, to their country. She is not welcome inJapan in a state of emergency.We canât stand troublesome person anymore.
She said she was here for the show, but the show was already postponed for a year. No need to stay here
— cerezo (@cerezo70350516) April 29, 2020

You know fan sentiment is rapidly turning against Medvedeva when pillars of the figure skating community like @cerezo70350516 are outraged. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

muffinplus

You know fan sentiment is rapidly turning against Medvedeva when pillars of the figure skating community like @cerezo70350516 are outraged. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I know you are going to dismiss this because it's Tinami and some crazy twitter posters, but Medvedeva has actually gotten a lot of criticism in places I normally see positive comments about her

Last edited:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
The Russian media quotes the same fan several times in several papers. The same media is also enraged Trusova was in Egypt with the headline `Can that family be controlled at all!?' The highlights of the same author include masterpieces such as `Efimova revealed her new swimming suit', and well, general reprints of the skaters' instagrams. So far I haven't found a single article or interview of the said author. Assume she is seriously good in clicks, doubt she knows what's the difference between an Axel to a Samarin.
News.ru are slightly better than mk,ru - at least they reprint the others' interviews rather than writing an article based on the instagram (aka their highlight is Alsu Kaumova's interview (anyone remembers that skater? No? Well, apparently she gave an interview where she said more or less nothing, but she said `Tutberidze' 3 times)).
The life.ru highlights include `mother dumped her son the athlete because of his sexualre preferences' (a photo of a hot guy on a beach) and `I wasnt' feeling my body at all' (a photo of a bare chested hot guy)
All 3 quote the same Japanese account, which, frankly, they could had written themselves using a google translate.

I mean... I started some rumours here myself (the Ilinykh/Soloviev was my April 1st joke, I think), so seriously, they should pay me for the articles - I can come up with much better s@#$

muffinplus

Like what?
Because to me it seems to be a #1948593 round of a stupid ubers’ war.

For example, there is a lot of negative posts in a FS subreddit where she normally gets positive comments. Not sure what that has to do with ubers, as not everyone criticizing her is a Zagitova/Hanyu/ or some other uber (maybe a lot are but not all) 🤷

At any rate, I find that anything negative here about Medvedeva gets dismissed as BS herejust because it is posted by you know who. Well, I mean, I do get why her posts get dismissed, but the reality is, it's not just ubers

Last edited:

Bigbird

I think Elena was a very talented person from an artistic perspective, but just didn't have the temperament for the endless daily grind of being an athlete.

From what I recall reading, she used to be very passionate and involved during the creation/choreography process at the start of the season, but once that was done and it was all about run throughs, repeating elements etc etc etc her interest waned. Which I get - maybe it is a bit boring just doing the two programs for an entire year. I think the adrenaline and fear of a home Olympics got I/K through it.

She's someone I could see being a very effective show skater. I'd like to see her do more of that.
This is also not completely correct as Katsalapov was jointly labelled as lazy. There were also times when he was resistant to work. What has helped him now is that his girlfriend is a workaholic because she has no choice but to. I/K were just not suited to each other. I can also imagine her walking out on a rehearsal if he's just being a jerk. We were just fortunate to have them for the time we did.

Gris

不做奴才做公民
I do think flying to Japan for a show that was very likely to be postponed was a bad judgement from Medvedeva. But if you only read the online vitriol against her right now you'd think that the C-19 is started by her. :rolleyes:

Tinami Amori

this info about Medvedeva was posted in Yandex news japan, and yes some call this publication "sensationalist" but it does not mean it posts lies.

Use google translate, go down to comment section, and find many posts by japanese readers who critique Medvedeva's actions, and over 1400-1500 "agree likes" under most of them.

1500+ japanese readers can not be all crazy or Medvedeva haters....... :D

I post info and opinion which some people on FSU don't like to read, because they view Medvedeva as a "heroe who stood up to Eteri and the Russian sports system". This is a complete b.s. Because Medvedeva stood up to nobody, she was pissed off at Eteri for not arranging a win for her by restricting Zagitova, so she made as much of stink as possible. If she won the Olympics she would have left competitive skating, and stuck with doing shows and having TV and sponsors' appearances. For example she (being almost sure she'd win) signed a TV deal with Russia Channedl #1 to do "Ice Age Kids" and few other FS TV shows specials. etc.

None of her actions had to do with "wanting to try different, with another coach, another system"... At Khrystalniy she trained side by side with Trus-Shcherb-Kost and knew darn well that once they are seniors she has no chance and no chance to win the coveted Gold at the next Olympics. She had no problem remaining at Khrystalniy if the club was willing to accomodate her demands for certain special conditions, the kind of conditions that even Hanyu or Kwan would ask for (aka - queen-bee treatment).

But she fooled most of her fans very well... both western and russian... and sold them "the poor Baryshnikov against evil USSR" story. So congratulations, Medo-defenders - you've been jiffed and taken for a ride... :D

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Liza Tuktamysheva’s new 2020/21 short program will be to ‘Spartacus’, choreo by Anna Cappellini and Luca Lanotte.
They had another option - something by Madonna, but in the end chose Spartacus.

From interview with Mishin, will try to translate it tomorrow

starrynight

I do think flying to Japan for a show that was very likely to be postponed was a bad judgement from Medvedeva. But if you only read the online vitriol against her right now you'd think that the C-19 is started by her. :rolleyes:

I think the whole world is in a grump. I think it's also because literally everyone else's fave is sitting around with no ice and there's a suggestion one skater got it through pretty calculated means... well, that's always going to draw a massive target on your back.

I'm not sure if I'm criticising her ... I think I'm just more astounded at how single minded she is at getting what she needs to skate.

When you look at this, you see that she was never going to tolerate a coaching situation where she was just going to be pushed out by a heap of younger kids and gracefully agree to be put out to pasture. It's kind of fascinating. We certainly haven't seen the last of Medvedeva - not if this is how obsessed she is at continuing to skate.

Tinami Amori

From interview with Mishin, will try to translate it tomorrow
I'll just take the liberty and translate the heading of the article, and the question that lead to it... :D
-- В последнее время развернулась дискуссия о долголетии в фигурном катании. Ваша позиция?
-- Отвечу так: можно кататься долго, можно кататься коротко, но нужно кататься хорошо.

Q: Lately there is a discussion taking place about length of the skating career. What is your position?
AM: This is my answer: one can skate for a long or for a short time, but either way one must skate well (while skating one must be good at it).

Tinami Amori

She lied, misrepresented her reason for going to Japan, used a trip to Japan to find a rink to skate as she is not stupid to think that when every event in Japan is getting cancelled her show will go on. Then she stayed in Japan after her show was moved 1 year ahead, missing several charter flights on Aeroflot, and then travelled up north to see if she can buy ice time, in a region which SPECIFICALLY asked citizens and tourists not to come because of the high elderly population.

After she arrived to Japan on the 1st of April, she posted many messages and participated in several joint federations' and athletes' actions to convince other athletes to "please stay home and practice, we're the athletes are strong and indurent and we all must be doing it for the common good"..... she posted it on April 10th, just when the first charter flight on SU from TYO was leaving... :D

How to have fun while staying on quaranteen at home:

Russian fans correctly think she has a double standard and once too often results to "cheating", "special connections", demands for special treatment, and all other "methods". She has a history now of using tricks to get ahead.

Just because every "caugh and sneeze" of her messages, actions, comments, etc., is not translated on FSU, does not mean she "does not do it". Some of you on FSU are just not aware of EVERYthing she did/said/manipulate, like russian skating fans and followers are, some of which were originally Medvedeva fans, including me (untill Spring 2018).

The vitrol is not about her going to Canada, even if she presented that myth to the western audience. It's about her many ugly actions that affect skaters/fans/some others in Russia.... Many are infuriated that all these years she deceived and continue to deceive the fans and other skaters.

Last edited:

starrynight

I wish we could talk about Medvedeva without it going off the deep end.

Skaters change coaches all the time to find something that suits them as they grow older and their needs alter. It was years ago. Zagitova has retired - the whole thing is over. I can’t believe we are still talking about it like this.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I wish we could talk about Medvedeva without it going off the deep end.
Skaters change coaches all the time to find something that suits them as they grow older and their needs alter. It was years ago.
The coach change and moving to Canada is a long gone issue, it has not been that much of an issue in Russia, but it has been used by Medvedeva as a myth to gain support and sympathy, and those who are not preview to some "finer details" about her unfortunately buy this myth and a few more, like the "broken boot" at RN..... :D

All her dishonesty, manipulations, actions and words that follow for the last two years, is what keeps on brining the critique. Her swindle with that trip to Japan has NOTHING to do with "changing coaches", especially not with Japanese fans who are worried and don't like what she does in their country.

Zagitova has retired - the whole thing is over. I can’t believe we are still talking about it like this.
Retired??!!! you must be talking to her in private... :) Because that is not what she said. She said she is suspending competitive skating for the rest of the season, to figure out what she wants to do. Same as many skaters, like V/M, G/G, Sasha Cohen, Katarina Witt...

Tinami Amori

News.ru are slightly better than mk,ru - at least they reprint the others' interviews rather than writing an article based on the instagram (aka their highlight is Alsu Kaumova's interview (anyone remembers that skater? No? Well, apparently she gave an interview where she said more or less nothing, but she said `Tutberidze' 3 times)).
So glad you mentioned Alsu Kaumova, that interview was very interesting.

Alsu skated at Khrystalniy, with Medvedeva, has some interesting insites about those times, there are more than "3 mentions about ET". Alsu also describes how she transfered from a competitive skater to a figure skating judge, how she enjoys this work, and now studying for technical specialist certificate. She also talks about how the judges work, the age issue, ET's training methods.

Here is that interview, google-translates ok.
Headline: "Tutberidze - is classy and kind. I don't know why Medvedeva made such choice to leave".

Oh, and speaking of comments about Tutberidze...... :D Lately Tarasova changed her tune about ET. In a radio interview she said this, quoted partially in print.
"Tutberidze does not mock/torture her students, they just work harder than others".

• Eteri is a great coach. She has a bench full of skaters. Outstanding coach. A whole bench of great skaters - the girls alone are worth something.
  • She works fanatically. Works to an extent of an aortic rupture. She works for 12 hours. I generally adore it and really respect. Yes, it’s hard for her to work. And who promised it would be easy?

Last edited:

Japanfan

Send her back to Russia!': Japanese fans want skate star Medvedeva KICKED OUT of country after accusing her of flouting lockdown (english version)

Is it not okay to go to parks or grocery shopping in Japan?

I can see that skating in a closed rink would certainly invite criticism and anger.

Medvedeva did not take any of these flights after she learned the show is cancelled and moved to June 2021, a year ahead, she has no business to stay in Japan. But instead she chose to stay for personal advancement, to practice and to gain unfair advantage over other skaters, including japanese ladies. People are noting it. Especially since the region she travelled to has very hight senior citizen population (subjected to xxxxx) and the region's officials issued a request for foreign tourists and others NOT to come to their territories. There is also a mention that: Japanese show organizers did NOT invite Medvedeva to come to Japan, especially since it was quite obvious that the show will be cancelled (although not official at the time), that all of this was on her own initiative.

And that too.

This is not going in a right direction, especially since there was an insident where during a show in Japan the earthquacke happened, and Medvedeva said "it's simply because i just skated"....

Offensive in general, but particularly in Japan, where humility is highly valued.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information