From Russia With Love (#36) Spring into Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

Veronika Zhilina (novice champion) and her sister doing on-the-floor real Can Can... :cool:

More skating and dance moves mixes to music. She is good!

Ka3sha

Upside down world: a famous Russian football coach, Leonid Skutsky, gives an in detail interview about figure skating, top ladies, Eteri Tutberidze, recalls some stories about 11 y.o. Pluschenko (they grew up in the same town) and tells about love his to this sport.

Tinami Amori

Upside down world: a famous Russian football coach, Leonid Skutsky

Leonid Slutsky (no relashions to Irina) as a coach a) has been fired or asked to write "a note of voluntary departure" from practically every Russian and foreign team he ever worked for. At the end of 2016 he was fired from the position of Head Coach of the Unified Russian Team. UK Chelsea Team fired him. Then had few jobs with minor level teams. One of them was Netherland Team SBV Vitesse, he had issues there, and was allowed to "resign of his own initiative.

b) He had "friends in the right places" in the Sports Ministry (who was recently fully discharged and fired for corruption and inadequate handling of critical issues, including the Minister Kolobkov, who is an interested party in Med/Canada/Orser financial arrangement and many more :D) and in December 2019 was appointed head coach to the Team "Rubin" Kazan, who is holding a 13th (average to low) ranking in the Russian Premier League.

In the Ministry of Sports up in top ranks who can "pull a lot of strings" there were few "interested parties" in the whole "Medvedeva Situation", which leads to the rivalry between CSKA and Khrystalniy. Slutsky owes his job to these "top former ministry people" and will follow their party line and say what he is expected to say... which is the typical stuff: Eteri is bad, Zagitova is bad, Tarasova is always right and the greatest, Medvedeva is great, CSKA is great (CSKA was rumored to be next stop for Meda.)

Those Ministry people, including the Minister, were just fired for corruption... but they have leverage still and probably "still collecting" from some of the people they helped because of "connections" and not for "sports principles"... :)

Tinami Amori

Some fun from Alexandra Trusova... :D no animal was hurt in filming this video..

She caught one of the last "Swan Lake" shows at Bolshoi, just before everything in sports and entertainment got suspended or cancelled.

starrynight

I've been reading on social networks that Medvedeva is now in the northern Japan city of Hachinohe and is training on privately leased ice. Does anyone know any more details about this?

Also apparently Tutberidze is back in Russia.

Last edited:

muffinplus

I've been reading on social networks that Medvedeva is now in the northern Japan city of Hachinohe and is training on privately leased ice. Does anyone know any more details about this?

It's hard to say because a bunch of this is from Twitter...and you know how reliable/sane people there are...

I mean, you really have to take Twitter with a grain of salt. Tatiana Tarasova said in her radio interview she is "training" in Japan with Japanese skaters, but it's hard to know what this means (does it mean she is on ice?)

But at the same time it could be true...which really makes the whole story that "organizers made her travel" untrue or did she really go there for training?

EDIT

I did read the Tarasova interview and she did say not everyone is on equal terms and in same conditions and in the same sentence says that people are training in Japan, so that strongly suggest to me she means on ice training. But again, does Tarasova really know or is she speculating? :lol:

Last edited:

starrynight

I'm presuming that Medvedeva must have contacts in Japan to access ice in a regional city. This international dash for ice time is quite intriguing to observe unfold.

I wonder what visa Medvedeva is in Japan on? If it's a tourist visa, she'll have up to 90 days to stay. Which is another couple of months.

Ka3sha

It's hard to say because a bunch of this is from Twitter...and you know how reliable/sane people there are...
From Hanyu’s fans on Twitter. And this is even more telling.

Re this situation with Japan:
As far as I understand, each prefecture has it’s own rules and regulations regarding this situation. Hachinohe is located on the north of the country and closed all rinks for Golden Week holiday that is celebrated in Japan from the end of April till the beginning of May.
I see no reason to assume that Medvedeva would have some connections to organize some private training sessions at a closed rink in small city in a foreign country, especially given current circumstances.

Re Tarasova: She has been openly encouraging Russian Sports authorities to open rinks and closed training centers (like Novogorsk) for skaters so they could train there for quite some time already. Do you think she really checked the information before saying it out loud? She said something like “skaters in some Asian counties are already training on the ice” (not providing any sources, obviously) to justify that rinks should be opened in Russia ASAP.

starrynight

I see no reason to assume that Medvedeva would have some connections to organize some private training sessions at a closed rink in small city in a foreign country, especially given current circumstances.

I presumed she would, because she doesn’t speak Japanese and moving to a regional place without assistance for accommodation and to book ice time might be difficult.

okokok777

Here is a brief summary of what's been discussed on social media. The sources of the information is all coming from individual users on Twitter and from the 4/27 TAT interview - so the reliability is questionable.

- A butcher tweeted that he saw Zhenya buying meat at Hasshoku Center in Hachinohe

- Another user claimed that Zhenya was training at Flat Hachinohe Ice Rink. Flat is not a closed rink. It is open to the public on weekdays and open to pre-reserved spots on the weekend and on holidays. As someone else mentioned, it is being closed from today until 5/6.

- In the aforementioned interview, TAT said that Zhenya was training in Japan with other skaters. Most elite-level skaters train in prefectures that were heavily affected by the pandemic (Tokyo, Osaka, Hyogo, etc.) so there rinks were closed. Aomori has only had 23 recorded cases and hasn't taken the same measures as the aforementioned prefectures - which is why Flat is still open.

Tokyo is about a 3.5 hour bullet train ride away from Hachinohe, Aomori. Local governors from the Tohoku region (where Aomori is located) have made several announcements asking people not to visit their prefecture due to their older population and relatively weak medical infrastructure (about 30% of their population is over 75 vs. ~17% in Tokyo). IIRC Japan's constitution does not allow them enforce strict lock-downs - so states of emergencies and requests from the government are their main alternatives. For example, prefectural governments can ask businesses to shut down and reveal the names of those that ignore their request i.e. relying on public pressure for them to shut down. This is a big part of the reason that certain Tokyo residents were facing criticism for deciding to "wait out" the situation in rural areas.

As I stated earlier, all of this is coming from non-official sources and Zhenya has not directly responded to any of the claims - so I will refrain from any strong opinions until more information is shared. I hope this was able to add a bit more clarity.

Bigbird

Look we all know that lockdown has the TAT having a psychotic break. We all know this right? Soon enough she'll snap out of it.

lala

poor dog to be owned by Plushy...

I don't understand what did you want to say. He has eight dogs. He adores the animals. There is a video on YT when he found a kitten in a hospital parking lot. After this he gave that kitty to the leader of his fan club. We can see that black cat over the years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOo7RfflL10 - Евгений: Знакомьтесь, Аксельбуша! / Meet Axelbush! :saint:
I find it ridiculous how he cares of Axelbush fondnessly. What a hard man!:D

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_kixhODlYY/ 4 dogs from 6

And poor Fifa, he owned by Plushy! yes! https://www.instagram.com/p/B9J8q9KAY8p/ and poor Lord https://www.instagram.com/p/B7jIpyOCO26/ :p not to mention this https://www.instagram.com/p/Bxab3PUjRHK/ :lol:

Ka3sha

New interview with Anastasia Mishina and Aleksandr Gallyamov

Also, I somehow ended up listening to Lina Fedorova's interview with Victoria Sinitsina on Instagram. Usually it's Nikita who does all the talking, so it was interesting to get to know Victoria's thoughts (and it's her 25th birthday today).
Lina asker she why she decided to break up with Ruslan and take those risks to team up with Nikita - she knew she could do more and that (being an Olympian and 7th in the World) was her maximum with Ruslan. She was 18 when they moved to the States and that was a huge change in everything. She continued growing and her body became more feminine. Due to these changes and the difference in food she gained some weight and at some point Marina Zueva put her on the weight-scale and said that she won't let Victoria come to the rink until she looses 3,5 kilos. So Victoria had stop eating, wrap herself in a plastic wrap and start running as much as she could. She also recalls that there were two rinks at their training center in Detroit - the one where Marina coached and the second one for other athletes/coaches. So she used to come to the second rink, pay additional money and skate there by herself.
She was asked how she dealt with hate and critique, since that hate was everywhere on social media, people said that she was weak, not good enough for Nikita and etc. Victoria admits that hate can stimulate you to be better, but also at some point she had to stop using social media. But she wasn't deaf and blind, she knew what people had been saying and she understood that she has to work more and more in order to become as strong skater as Nikita. Marina, their choreographer (Aliona? Not sure I got her name) and Nikita helped a lot - they were encouraging her, Marina sometimes advised to just go to the choreo class, stand in front of the mirror and let yourself be - to dance, make silly faces and etc.
During their first season with Nikita they indeed wanted to prove that they are good enough, that they are better than I/Z , so there was some kind of stupid rivalry. But it was a completely wrong attitude, and they failed. She admits that it's indeed a bit strange to compete against someone you had skated with for that many years. Yes, you focus on yourself and the work you have to do, but also some thoughts and comparisons come to your mind and then go.
Yes, they had to deal with a lot of injuries - both her and Nikita. When Nikita wasn't skating (like when he had a surgery on his shoulder in 2016) she just did dance classes, worked on her basic skills, did a lot of stroking and etc. 'You have to believe in each other to get through all the shit' (c)
Russian Nationals in 2018 when Nikita injured his leg right during the free dance was a turning point for them. They became angry with themselves because they had failed so many times, so they changed their attitude towards training, calmed down, became more focused, regrouped and start working. She was the one who got in touch with World Champions in Argentinian tango who choreographed their Rhythm dance last season , they started working on it and everything went just as it should - they enjoyed their programs, preparation was really good but also she got a knee injury that screwed some part of the season.
About 2020 Europeans and her emotions - she was just exhausted after the free dance and understood perfectly well that no matter how small the margin was after the RD, they couldn't beat clean P/C, so she was also a bit relaxed in the mixed-zone (or waiting zone with sofas ), didn't closely follow P/C's skate. And then people started taking like 'hmmm' and 'uhhh' and she got interested. In the end she just ended up with happy tears and was shocked about the outcome.

Last edited:

muffinplus

Also, I somehow ended up listening to Lina Fedorova's interview with Victoria Sinitsina on Instagram. Usually it's Nikita who does all the talking, so it was interesting to get to know Victoria's thoughts (and it's her 25th birthday today).
Lina asker she why she decided to break up with Ruslan and take those risks to team up with Nikita - she knew she could do more and that (being an Olympian and 7th in the World) was her maximum with Ruslan. She was 18 when they moved to the States and that was a huge change in everything. She continue growing and her body became more feminine. Due to these changes and the difference in food she gained some weight and at some point Marina Zueva put her on the weight-scale and said that she won't let Victoria come to the rink until she loses 3,5 kilos. So Victoria had stop eating, wrap herself in a plastic wrap and start running as much as she could. She also recalls that there were two rinks at their training center in Detroit - the one where Marina coached and the second one for other athletes/coaches. So she used to come to the second rink, pay additional money and skate there by herself.
She was asked how she dealt with hate and critique, since that hate was everywhere on social media, people said that she was weak, not good enough for Nikita and etc. Victoria admits that hate can stimulate you to be better, but also at some point she had to stop using social media. But she wasn't deaf and blind, she knew what people had been saying and she understood that she has to work more and more in order to become as strong skater as Nikita. Marina, their choreographer (Aliona? Not sure I got her name) and Nikita helped a lot - they were encouraging her, Marina sometimes advised to just go to the choreo class, stand in front of the mirror and let yourself be - to dance, make silly faces and etc.
During their first season with Nikita they indeed wanted to prove that they are good enough, that they are better than I/Z , so there was some kind of stupid rivalry. But it was a completely wrong attitude, and they failed. She admits that it's indeed a bit strange to compete against someone you have skated with for that many years. Yes, you focus on yourself and the work you have to do, but also some thoughts and comparisons come to your mind and then go.
Yes, they had to deal with a lot of injuries - both her and Nikita. When Nikita wasn't skating (like when he had a sugary on his shoulder in 2016) she just did ballet classes, worked on her basic skills, did a lot of stroking and etc. 'You have to believe in each other to get through all the shit' (c)
Russian Nationals in 2018 when Nikita injured his leg right during the free dance was a turning point for them. They became angry with theirselves because they failed so many times, so they changes their attitude towards training, calmed down, became more focused, regrouped and start working. She was the one who got in touch with World Champions in Argentinian tango who choreographed their Rhythm dance last season , they started working on it and everything went just as it should - they enjoyed their programs, preparation was really good but also she got a knee injury that screwed some part of the season.
About 2020 Europeans and her emotions - she was just exhausted after the free dance and understood perfectly well that no matter how small the margin was after the RD, they couldn't beat clean P/C, so she was also a bit relaxed in the mixed-zone (or waiting zone with sofas ), didn't closely follow P/C's skate. And then people started taking like 'hmmm' and 'uhhh' and she got interested. In the end she just ended up with happy tears and was shocked about the outcome.

Is the recording of the Victoria interview available online?

starrynight

Look we all know that lockdown has the TAT having a psychotic break. We all know this right? Soon enough she'll snap out of it.

Well I think everyone is a bit like that at the moment. I think that if Medvedeva has been the lone Russian skater who has managed to side-step the lockdowns, she might frustrate some people back in Russia who are sick of themselves and their skaters being shut inside.

After all, Kostornaya has recently given an interview of how she feels like she is sitting inside 'suffering' in Moscow.

Bigbird

Well I think everyone is a bit like that at the moment. I think that if Medvedeva has managed to side-step the lockdowns, she might frustrate some people back in Russia.

There is nowhere to get with this. The best place to be is in your own home. With the progress being made now towards a viable treatment or cure we are looking at a severely depleted grand prix season. It would be best everyone conserve their energies, focus on studies and other things which may have put on hold and pray for a cure. So many believed that they had this thing beat, and they began lifting sanctions too fast only to see cases spike.

There is no need to think she'll have any real advantage. She is alone without her training mates and her coach. She will have to start from scratch like everyone else. In the coming months many may decide to simply retire. But when this all passes there will be hopefully a new set of athletes to admire. No skater can exalt themselves above the sport or this virus. We will get through this but not necessarily within the timelines we've envisioned unfortunately.

Bigbird

Lina asker she why she decided to break up with Ruslan and take those risks to team up with Nikita - she knew she could do more and that (being an Olympian and 7th in the World) was her maximum with Ruslan. She was 18 when they moved to the States and that was a huge change in everything. She continued growing and her body became more feminine. Due to these changes and the difference in food she gained some weight and at some point Marina Zueva put her on the weight-scale and said that she won't let Victoria come to the rink until she looses 3,5 kilos. So Victoria had stop eating, wrap herself in a plastic wrap and start running as much as she could. She also recalls that there were two rinks at their training center in Detroit - the one where Marina coached and the second one for other athletes/coaches. So she used to come to the second rink, pay additional money and skate there by herself.
During their first season with Nikita they indeed wanted to prove that they are good enough, that they are better than I/Z , so there was some kind of stupid rivalry. But it was a completely wrong attitude, and they failed. She admits that it's indeed a bit strange to compete against someone you had skated with for that many years. Yes, you focus on yourself and the work you have to do, but also some thoughts and comparisons come to your mind and then go.
Yes, they had to deal with a lot of injuries - both her and Nikita. When Nikita wasn't skating (like when he had a surgery on his shoulder in 2016) she just did dance classes, worked on her basic skills, did a lot of stroking and etc. 'You have to believe in each other to get through all the shit' (c)
Russian Nationals in 2018 when Nikita injured his leg right during the free dance was a turning point for them. They became angry with themselves because they had failed so many times, so they changed their attitude towards training, calmed down, became more focused, regrouped and start working. She was the one who got in touch with World Champions in Argentinian tango who choreographed their Rhythm dance last season , they started working on it and everything went just as it should - they enjoyed their programs, preparation was really good but also she got a knee injury that screwed some part of the season.
Just goes to show the grass is never really greener on the other side. Nikita in particular had to learn somewhat how to work in a partnership and learn to respect the persons around him. They have improved a lot, kudos to her. She is still not an equal but rather a great foil like Averbuch's partner (Lobacheva?) was to him and Jane Torville was to Dean. When Katsalapov skated with EI there was an electricity that these two will never possess, because it's either you have IT or you don't they way C/P do. The reason being was she was more than an equal she challenged him and he had to step up his game. But good on them for pulling themselves together.

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski

Thanks for translating for us. I’ve watched this team with a mix of admiration and frustration for a while now, and it’s a shame that the CV has hit just at the time when Vika and Nikita were beginning to form a serious challenge. I think Vika has shown immense strength of character to make the partnership work, in the face of a lot of opposition and disparaging comments. She mightn’t be as flashy or charismatic as Elena, but she has the tenacity Elena lacks.

Bigbird

Thanks for translating for us. I’ve watched this team with a mix of admiration and frustration for a while now, and it’s a shame that the CV has hit just at the time when Vika and Nikita were beginning to form a serious challenge. I think Vika has shown immense strength of character to make the partnership work, in the face of a lot of opposition and disparaging comments. She mightn’t be as flashy or charismatic as Elena, but she has the tenacity Elena lacks.
Elena didn't lack tenacity, Katsalapov just broke her BS meter. She was a hard worker she just personality wise was not a good match for Katsalapov. Just for the sake of pride alone S/K could not fail. Could not. Too much of an investment made.

muffinplus

As I stated earlier, all of this is coming from non-official sources and Zhenya has not directly responded to any of the claims - so I will refrain from any strong opinions until more information is shared. I hope this was able to add a bit more clarity.

Someone also posted that the fact that she posted a video herself in cherry blossom gardens in full bloom indicates that she did travel to the North and is no longer in Tokyo, since cherry blossom season is long over there at this point 🤷

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information