From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
If anyone is interested in Russian junior pairs, someone on Russian forum said that Yalin now skates with Valerie Ponosova. I have never heard of her. From the remark someone else made, she is probably not very good. She had been doing pairs with someone else before, but didn’t even do Russian cups, so they couldn’t be that great.
"Ponos" means "diarrhea" in Russian, so this post is hilarious on so many levels.

Tinami Amori

Anna Shcherbakova now gets the Nike contract.
"We are one team, like never before"
(fotos and video - 4 pages on this link)

PS. Anna's foto-shoot in TATLER magazine, modeling dresses with Alina, Sasha, Aleona.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Some recent interviews translated by FS-gossips.

With Daniel Gleikhengauz

Julia Lipnitskaya

Aliona Kostornaia

Elena Ilinykh (and Sergei Polunin)

(sorry if some of the links have already been posted)

hanca

Values her privacy
"Ponos" means "diarrhea" in Russian, so this post is hilarious on so many levels.
I am sure the poor girl will change her surname, so that it is not so hilarious for some individuals.

Actually, her skating is better than I expected. The fact that she didn’t compete with her previous partner at the Russian cups made me think that they must be completely useless, but it doesn’t seems so bad. Ok, she is not Kostiukovich, she doesn’t have Kostiukovich’s personality and the spark, but her skating is reasonable and she seems to have a pretty decent jumps - triples, and don’t look as if they were landed only by accident.

Amy L

Volsozahar, Trankov, and their daughter have left for Russia. They decided to finally leave Florida because they are worried that the borders will be totally closed and they didn't want to be stuck indefinitely. They will go back to their home in the Moscow suburbs and quarantine - - I know they have a single family detached house and maybe something that qualifies as a yard. They had been posting a ton of instastories of their daughter running around a playground, them at the beach, etc. Now that they are expected to totally stay indoors, I suppose they decided to go to their house instead of being stuck in the small apartment they had been renting in Estero.

Tinami Amori

Volsozahar, Trankov, and their daughter have left for Russia.

They departed MIA, landed in JFK, the flight was rather empty. In JFK they were not sure if there are seats available on Aeroflot ex JFK to SVO.

But at the last minute (just now) they did get good business class seats and on their way.
See "stories" they are on the flight to Moscow!!! got great location in business class cabin!:40beers:

Amy L

See "stories" they are on the flight to Moscow!!! got great location in business class cabin!:40beers:

Tanya recently updated:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-DR5mNHqp2/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

In summary, they were waiting in the plane 2.5 hours due to a computer problem, then the flight was cancelled. :eek: They were promised that families with children will be the first to get on another flight, so it looks like their long journey is delayed even more...

Tinami Amori

Tanya recently updated:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-DR5mNHqp2/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

In summary, they were waiting in the plane 2.5 hours due to a computer problem, then the flight was cancelled. :eek: They were promised that families with children will be the first to get on another flight, so it looks like their long journey is delayed even more...
thanks! also... watch the "stories"....🤢

Tinami Amori

starrynight

According to this tweet, Inna Goncharenko is considering the option of training some of the national FS team in quarantine in Novogorsk. However has been warned not to consider it.

taz'smum

'Be Kind' - every skater has their own story

According to this tweet, Inna Goncharenko is considering the option of training some of the national FS team in quarantine in Novogorsk. However has been warned not to consider it.

There are more important things than sport at stake here.

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
The original interview in ria.ru - Goncharenko herself is not considering anything, as she has no team members training with her. She does say that in order to keep the athletes in shape it would be a good idea to keep them in Nogorsk as not everyone has the facilities to train home.

starrynight

The original interview in ria.ru - Goncharenko herself is not considering anything, as she has no team members training with her. She does say that in order to keep the athletes in shape it would be a good idea to keep them in Nogorsk as not everyone has the facilities to train home.

The whole world is in exactly the same position. The rinks are closed from Russia to Canada to USA to Australia to all of Europe.

So it's not like Russia is at a disadvantage. At the end of this, everyone is just going to have to get back into it and do their best. And who knows what will happen in some countries with sports budgets given the spending required on health and economic stimulus.

I expect we will see a season of reduced technical content. But on the flip side, I wonder if skaters will be performing with more heart because of the challenges it's taken them to get back on the ice - and also a new life perspective. I think this has already given many of us a new perspective on things in our lives.

Honestly, I'll just be so glad to see things get to when sporting competitions are back on that I won't care if the standard is just triple or double jumps or double twists etc for a while. Fortunately, skating is a thing that can easily survive a reduction in technical content.

Last edited:

Rina RUS

:) It is Marinin's birthday (March,23). He says his son did this montage and his daughter was the director (his wife chose the pics)

As for the congratulations from Yagudin... I thought his post had only some nice words, so I thought it was boring to translate, but there is also a dialogue, and I think their dialogue is really funny. :)

alexei.yagudin: My dear friend, I don't know men who are better or who are more honest than you! You are a cultured person, you've read many books, you are well-educated, you are handsome, you have a wonderful family, kids, you are the best partner, your wife is charming!!!! You are perfect and your family is perfect! I don't know what I can wish you! Oh, I know: I wish you money!! Much money - especially now, in these "scary" times, as they say!!!!! Love you! Adore you!
marininmax: Thank you, my friend! If I need money, I'll ask you to give me some )
alexei.yagudin: I've no money! It is crisis now! But I'll give you some
In Russian the word order of this short sentence ("But to you I'll give") means much: "I wouldn't give to someone else, but as for you - I will give"

starrynight

@starrynight , am not sure what is your point ,am just telling you what the original article said.

I was just talking about the issue of all the athletes stopping training. I know you were just providing a more accurate translation. I’m not arguing or anything. Maybe it was confusing to quote you :)

The brakes have just been put on the speeding freight train that is Russian skating and I was honestly wondering how long it would be until the prospect of isolating the skaters off in a remote training base was suggested. Some rugby coaches in Australia desperately tried to suggest the same thing of isolating athletes in regional towns so they could keep playing but in the end they had to face reality and shut down.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

The whole world is in exactly the same position. The rinks are closed from Russia to Canada to USA to Australia to all of Europe.

So it's not like Russia is at a disadvantage. At the end of this, everyone is just going to have to get back into it and do their best.
Oh gee you're just so eager for Russians to have to deal with equal level playing field... we'll that's not happening... Russian ladies are and will be still the best...

Well.... elite skater (and even not elite) are coming to practice - 2-3 in a group. All it takes is turning on lights in a rink and paying extra to Zamboni guy to work for 4 hours.. The rest of the rink infrastructure is down, but the ice and light and music is working.

And if you need proof...... here it is... in print.... So there goes your hope to "hold back the Russiand and make them like every body else".... :)

"St. Petersburg rinks are still training skaters in-spite of XXXXXX. The Ice Academy, the Jubileiny and other rinks holding practice sessions". The skaters had to give the rinks an exemption, sign a document a waver that they will not hold rink responsible for consequences, adults themselves, for kids their parents.

Velikovs, Moskvina, Mishin continue to train as long as a skater gave them a waver. Leonova is skating too and very happy about it......

this google translates well.

And while Moscow rinks announced that they are closing down.... yes, no public sessions, non-ice events, no kids' groups or 2nd and 3rd level groups.... yes a lot inside is shot down, no admins, etc.. they are not fully functional... except for ice, lights and occasional zamboni... Trainers all have keys and security codes to get inside and to turn on the lights for 5-6 elite skaters....;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information