The Dance Hall 7: Tripping the Light Fantastic 2019-2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

VGThuy

program choice seems to only take teams but so far. g/f have had some great programs that really suit them and their incredible skills and they still get hosed year after year.

and it really bums me out that a team with the talent of h/d can get dumped so badly over program choice. while i dont like the music of their current programs, the construction and choreography of their fd especially stands out in the current field with so many couples relying on open holds, less intricate transitions, and a lot of stopping and starting/moving in one place.

I’ll give you stopping and starting to some extent for this season’s FD, but I never thought they were known for having closed holds or intricate transitions. In fact, a lot of the time they are on two feet and quite open and some people think it gives some of their programs a look of an exhibition, including this current FD. But I do see your point that the rest of the field is pushing that to the limit thanks to the choreo sequences and what-not. The emphasis on entertainment and crowd-pleasing choreography is inspiring more posing and stopping and starting.

Ka3sha

Family trees, Russian Ice Dance edition:

Ivan Bukin - son of Andrei Bukin
Jonathan Guerreiro - son of Svetlana Lyapina
Annabelle Morozov - daughter of Nikolai Morozov, TAT’s god-daughter.
Andrei Bagin - grandson of Leonid Khachaturov ( the Chairman of the Coaching Council of the Russian Figure Skating Federation)
Diana Davis - daughter of Eteri Tutberidze

And now we also have Valery Angelopol , Oleg Ovsyannikov’s nephew , in the mix. He and his partner are coached by Krylova, btw :)
I liked them at Junior Nationals, hope they will get a JGP event next year

Last edited:

oleada

I know I’m way behind, but when did Spain announce their world team and what was the reasoning?

Dobre

What is the junior pattern for next season?

(I'm good with the polka. It's been a while).

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title

Last I heard, Westminster Waltz next season, and Maple Leaf March under discussion for the following... but that might have changed.

Dobre

Thank you both.

Going from the waltz to the polka seems like a difficult switch program-construction wise for teams trying to compete at both levels this coming season, but I'm happy they have switched to the polka for the seniors as it is upbeat and has been a long time since we've seen it done. Are the juniors using the folk dance theme also?

PinkRose

Thank you both.

Going from the waltz to the polka seems like a difficult switch program-construction wise for teams trying to compete at both levels this coming season, but I'm happy they have switched to the polka for the seniors as it is upbeat and has been a long time since we've seen it done. Are the juniors using the folk dance theme also?
I’ve seen H/K’s FD twice. First time I thought and said here that it looked like it was dancing them. The second time my feeling was, she’s just not a good enough dancer to pull this off. The opening and closing of the body and the contrast that creates is inherent in any dance genre, or to put it differently, a you need to be able to truly move different parts of your body through all spatial planes. She kind of stays in the “scapular plane” all the time, for lack of a better way to describe it. It’s the same kind of limitation I feel when I watch the likes of K Weaver, Stepanova, P Gilles or the Shibutanis.

But I’ve always preferred S/D anyway, as I like their performance quality and think they’ve been having engaging programs for a few seasons.

Reportedly the Westminster Waltz.
Last I heard, Westminster Waltz next season, and Maple Leaf March under discussion for the following... but that might have changed.

junior rd for next season is the Quickstep

barbarafan

Highway robbery I feel for piper and Paul I guess politics go along way Madison chick falls on her ass and they win ok.
Does that mean that Piper's skating skills have now improved so much that they are in the ball park of the top teams? Now that they are Canada#1 I have not heard or read anything about that.

Dobre

General housekeeping after the Egna Dance Trophy and Bavarian Open:

Has France officially named their 2nd dance team for Worlds yet? I do not know if Lauriault & Le Gac's score at the Bavarian Open was relevant or not, but FYI it was 172.11, which is 0.04 below Galayavieva & Thauron's score from Europeans. Also Reed & Ambrulevicius won the event ahead of L&LG by a couple more points than they finished above G&T at Europeans. And Galayavieva & Thauron's score at the Egna Dance Trophy was 179.14 so I'm assuming if this wasn't decided yet, that Galayavieva & Thauron are in the clear now?

Turkkila & Versluis won the Egna Dance Trophy with a score of 182.88. They finished 14 points above Orihara & Pirinen, and in the process, T&V defeated Galayavieva & Thauron and Mueller & Dieck. We've had a few different posts about Finland's criteria for Worlds posted, but the last poster who responded to one of my inquiries thought Finland would just go with the Egna results. Which seems very likely considering the point spread and at least two relevant teams in between the Finnish teams.

Meanwhile, Mueller & Dieck seem to have confirmed their spot for Worlds by defeating Urban & Steffan at Egna.

Ichilov & Abecassis didn't get their World minimums.

Roy & Pietrantonio did get their World minimums, though I assume Tessari & Fioretti have Italy's second berth.

Top three Canadian junior teams at the Bavarian Open were Bronsard & Bouaraguia, D'Alessandro & Waddell, and Makita & Gunara. It seems likely that will be the team for Junior Worlds.

ETA: Oh, yes. And in case anyone missed it, Russia's Junior World team is Shanaeva & Narizhnyy, Ushakova & Nekrasov, and Davis & Smolkin.

(Sorry @Ka3sha. I guess Khudaberdieva & Somerville can swap stories from the sidelines and pay the usual brand-new-team toll).

Last edited:

nimi

Turkkila & Versluis won the Egna Dance Trophy with a score of 182.88. They finished 14 points above Orihara & Pirinen, and in the process, T&V defeated Galayavieva & Thauron and Mueller & Dieck. We've had a few different posts about Finland's criteria for Worlds posted, but the last poster who responded to one of my inquiries thought Finland would just go with the Egna results. Which seems very likely considering the point spread and at least two relevant teams in between the Finnish teams.
Back in December, the selection criteria for Worlds was the highest points average of 3 best competitions of the season. It seems they went and changed the criteria a month ago; the Fed's website now says the selection is made on the basis of SB score, which means T/V will get the spot.

heartyxo

I’d say Chock&Gilles are on a similar level (they’ve both improved and aren’t as bad as some say) and they’re both definitely better than Stepanova.

It seems that people have started criticising C/B's skating again as soon as they've gone back to being a real threat. People kind of took a break the last 2-3 years when she was injured and their results were stagnating, meaning they weren't going to beat other people's favorites. The criticism was valid back in 2015 when they were at the top and that was a genuine problem but even though they're not the best now they are much better than they were before. They'll never be the fastest/most powerful skaters. I think they know that just as well as us. But they are very precise and what their FD shows is how aligned they are in every detail. What has gotten them back to the top is the way they have focused on what makes them special.

Last edited:

AquaLady

Turkkila/Versluis are becoming one of my favourite teams. They are just beautiful to watch... So much potential! I really hope they get the world spot!

ostile17

General housekeeping after the Egna Dance Trophy and Bavarian Open:

Has France officially named their 2nd dance team for Worlds yet? I do not know if Lauriault & Le Gac's score at the Bavarian Open was relevant or not, but FYI it was 172.11, which is 0.04 below Galayavieva & Thauron's score from Europeans. Also Reed & Ambrulevicius won the event ahead of L&LG by a couple more points than they finished above G&T at Europeans. And Galayavieva & Thauron's score at the Egna Dance Trophy was 179.14 so I'm assuming if this wasn't decided yet, that Galayavieva & Thauron are in the clear now?

Meanwhile, Mueller & Dieck seem to have confirmed their spot for Worlds by defeating Urban & Steffan at Egna.

Ichilov & Abecassis didn't get their World minimums.

Roy & Pietrantonio did get their World minimums, though I assume Tessari & Fioretti have Italy's second berth.

Top three Canadian junior teams at the Bavarian Open were Bronsard & Bouaraguia, D'Alessandro & Waddell, and Makita & Gunara. It seems likely that will be the team for Junior Worlds.

ETA: Oh, yes. And in case anyone missed it, Russia's Junior World team is Shanaeva & Narizhnyy, Ushakova & Nekrasov, and Davis & Smolkin.

(Sorry @Ka3sha. I guess Khudaberdieva & Somerville can swap stories from the sidelines and pay the usual brand-new-team toll).

Tessari & Fioretti have announced their split right after Euros.

dancing_on_ice

I’d say Chock&Gilles are on a similar level (they’ve both improved and aren’t as bad as some say) and they’re both definitely better than Stepanova.

It seems that people have started criticising C/B's skating again as soon as they've gone back to being a real threat. People kind of took a break the last 2-3 years when she was injured and their results were stagnating, meaning they weren't going to beat other people's favorites. The criticism was valid back in 2015 when they were at the top and that was a genuine problem but even though they're not the best now they are much better than they were before. They'll never be the fastest/most powerful skaters. I think they know that just as well as us. But they are very precise and what their FD shows is how aligned they are in every detail. What has gotten them back to the top is the way they have focused on what makes them special.

I feel like a lot of people form opinions about teams as soon as they are introduced to them, and those opinions don't change even as the skaters change and become stronger. Madison Chock's skating skills have improved dramatically since 2011, and Evan Bates has also become a better performer since then, which was most noticeable in their Fever program last year. Yet, the opinions that were formed when they first teamed up in 2011 are still largely the same opinions now. It is true that Madi spends a lot of time in the air in her programs right now, but that's just choreographing to their strengths. They have interesting lifts, and the character program allows Madi to shine. Why not highlight those aspects? Any good team should be trying to showcase their strengths and cover up their weaknesses.

Ka3sha

We all love ice dance and figure skating (and pretty much everything in life) for various reasons, and it’s what makes it great.
For me, skating skills and good basics have always been crucial in ice dance, that's why I love it so much. I miss difficulty in step sequences - close dance holds, real one foot step sequences (when was the last time we had it? 2014/15 season?) and etc. Difficult or interesting and unique steps executed in synch, on a great speed and with deep edges would excite me much more than some difficult lifts (in general). I do believe that all teams should be rewarded for their strengths and get high GOEs for their best elements, but basics should not be forgotten. For example, lifts take what? 7sec + 7sec (or 12 if you choose a combination) + 7sec + 1 choreographic one - it's not that much for 4 minutes free dance, IMO. Teams can get well-deserved 22-23 points on these elements and no one is denying it, but I would prefer if teams spend other 3 and a half minutes (minus spin and twizzles) actually skating, not dragging each other or dancing while standing on two feet. That's the way I feel it :)

On a random note, lifts discussions made me remember one of the programs from Russian version of Dancing on the ice few years ago. I remember that once TAT criticized Petr Tchernyshov and his partner for not doing enough lifts and then next week they come up with this.

Colonel Green

Italy has lost three senior dance teams in one year with a free berth available? (And multiple well-reputed Italian dance coaches in multiple countries). This is nuts. What is going on?
The state of Italian ice dance has been a bit mystifying to me for a bit. I really noticed it at JGP Italy with the seriously unimpressive performance of all the noteworthy Italian junior teams gathered in one place -- some teams with some nice qualities, but nobody who looks much like a rising star, and the gap between Guignard/Fabbri and the rest of the senior field is quite wide. G/F will be hanging in through the next Olympics, no doubt, so there's some time to sort things out, but with all the ice dance infrastructure they have in Italy, it's a curious state of affairs.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
On a random note, lifts discussions made me remember one of the programs from Russian version of Dancing on the ice few years ago. I remember that once TAT criticized Petr Tchernyshov and his partner for not doing enough lifts and then next week they come up with this.
Love the extreme thinking here "she's telling us we don't do enough lifts, so let's just do one long 3 minutes lift, just to show her"

nimi

The state of Italian ice dance has been a bit mystifying to me for a bit. I really noticed it at JGP Italy with the seriously unimpressive performance of all the noteworthy Italian junior teams gathered in one place -- some teams with some nice qualities, but nobody who looks much like a rising star, and the gap between Guignard/Fabbri and the rest of the senior field is quite wide. G/F will be hanging in through the next Olympics, no doubt, so there's some time to sort things out, but with all the ice dance infrastructure they have in Italy, it's a curious state of affairs.
The team who was not at JGP Italy but who went on to win the jr Nats got the JWC spot. We'll see how they'll fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information