2021 U.S. Nationals will return to San Jose, Calif.; 2022 U.S. Nationals will be in Nashville, TN (Toyota is title sponsor for both)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I could not find the link just by going to the website. Or any way to login to my account. I signed up for the mailing list. Hopefully, they'll send me something soon.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I'm all set! I told myself I wasn't going, absolutely not going (I hate-hate-hate the drive to San Jose because I always take a wrong turn somewhere). Yep, so "Ms. Not Going" just paid for her all event ticket and hotel reservation. (sigh)

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I could not find the link just by going to the website. Or any way to login to my account. I signed up for the mailing list. Hopefully, they'll send me something soon.

I think you have to get into it from a link from a presale e-mail. I tried finding ticket info last night from my SAP Center account and I couldn't. But today I got a presale e-mail and everything worked fine.

Debbie S

When I click on the link, I get a message that the offer is not available and my only option is to "see other events/" Oh well, I'm not buying now anyway,, not sure yet if I'm going.

The fact that they are using "2018" for their offer code suggests that someone might not have a complete clue.

Carolla5501

When I click on the link, I get a message that the offer is not available and my only option is to "see other events/" Oh well, I'm not buying now anyway,, not sure yet if I'm going.

The fact that they are using "2018" for their offer code suggests that someone might not have a complete clue.

Yeah I found that pretty funny too

Debbie S

Well, now an "updated" email from USFS has the code as "2021CHAMPS" and the link works. Except that of course Ticketmaster is using Flash and you now have to give permission for your browser to use it. I find Firefox to be the easiest with that.

AnnM

I got into my account manager but can't find the event. No email from SAP either, despite signing up again over the weekend. Guess it'll be general sale for me. I just want an aisle seat somewhere.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
It looks like the offers are tied to your account. I will call them tomorrow and try to sweet talk my way in. :D

Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I got two different e-mail presale notifications - one from USFS (FOFS, I think) and one from the SAP Center directly because I'm also on their e-mail mailing list. I'm surprised you didn't get the one from the SAP Center e-mail list. You've checked your spam folder, right? :)

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I've got a ticket!

And once again I'm impressed with the customer service at the SAP Center. I filled out their mailing list form and within hours someone called me and sold me a ticket over the phone.

They said this is a pre-sale for people in clubs and stuff like that. I didn't actually buy tickets the last time Nationals was in SJ because I was out of town for half of it (I volunteered instead). And I don't belong to a club anymore. So that's probably why I didn't get a notice.

But it's all good.

AnnM

Finally bought my ticket during the general sale! Ended up with a better seat than I was offered during the 2nd presale lol.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
To be able to host US Nationals, someone needs to bid for it, as mentioned. They need to be able to provide the following:

1. One main competition arena (85' x 200' or 100' x 200' ice surface) with seating for at least 8,000, with 24 hour per day availability on the specific dates USFS has set for the event
    1. With free parking for USFS officials
  2. An additional ice surface for practice sessions with seating for 300, with 24 hour per day availability on all but the final day of Nationals, dates as set by USFS
    1. With free parking for USFS officials
  3. Hotel cluster in close proximity to the competition arena
  4. Hotel Rate: $119 or less
    1. Complimentary access to all meeting rooms at the designated host hotel
    2. Two (2) complimentary suites, one of presidential size for the U.S. Figure Skating President and one for U.S. Figure Skating Hospitality
    3. Free parking at the hotel for USFS officials
  5. Minimum Bid Fee: $750,000 - Local Organizing Committee must guarantee to provide U.S. Figure Skating with a minimum bid fee guarantee of $750,000 plus a 50/50 split of net income
  6. The event will cover all expenses such as airfare, housing, ground transport, per diem and reimbursements of all assigned officials and U.S. Figure Skating event staff (100 people)
  7. The host city needs to have held successful national/international sport events in the past
  8. The host city needs to have enough people in their metro area to be able to sell this event
  9. The host city must be near a major airport
  10. The LOC must also fund and host the development camp held alongside Nationals, providing ice time, etc.

So this isn't cheap or easy to do, and in large part, who gets Nationals depends on who bids for Nationals. I know that USFS has been having fewer and fewer cities bid on these events, due to their large burden and cost.

Carolla5501

I’m honestly surprised they can find as many cities they do willing to pay their price. I don’t think they understand that this is no longer the draw it used to be. I wonder if they’re even breaking even in some of the cities after they pay USFSA.

I also wonder if sometimes we go back to a city because they wouldn’t meet all the requirements but they were willing to meet enough to get USFSA here.

Debbie S

Is that required $119 or less hotel rate only for USFS officials? I've never paid anything that low at a host hotel for Nationals.
Yes, the official/skater/chaperone/coach rate. The rate is less b/c the room amounts are guaranteed....the hotel is more eager to offer a lower rate when they know they will book X number of rooms.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
I was poking around the SAP Center website and watched the video on the concessions. Apparently, cannoli is available on the club level. Please let this be open during Nationals. :lol:

acraven

Well, the Greensboro Coliseum and Convention Center website had a restrictive maximum size for purses and a prohibition on tote bags, and neither rule was enforced at any time. I'm not at all sure San Jose will be enforcing a clear-bag policy. But I'm glad to know it may be. I suppose I can put everything in a large ZIP Lock bag and walk through security with an empty tote bag I can shake upside down in front of the screeners. I think that should work.

azcalder

Well, the Greensboro Coliseum and Convention Center website had a restrictive maximum size for purses and a prohibition on tote bags, and neither rule was enforced at any time. I'm not at all sure San Jose will be enforcing a clear-bag policy. But I'm glad to know it may be. I suppose I can put everything in a large ZIP Lock bag and walk through security with an empty tote bag I can shake upside down in front of the screeners. I think that should work.
The AZ Diamondbacks are enforcing a clear bag rule beginning this season. I'm sure the rest of MLB will follow. I guess it's a sign of the future for all sporting events. Who wants to walk around with all their personal items visible to everyone?

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
To be able to host US Nationals, someone needs to bid for it, as mentioned. They need to be able to provide the following:

[snip]
    1. Two (2) complimentary suites, one of presidential size for the U.S. Figure Skating President and one for U.S. Figure Skating Hospitality

So this isn't cheap or easy to do, and in large part, who gets Nationals depends on who bids for Nationals. I know that USFS has been having fewer and fewer cities bid on these events, due to their large burden and cost.

I get the larger suite for hospitality, but surely the USFS President could set an example by staying in a regular room like everyone else. If the cost of staging the event is discouraging potential host cities/clubs, the USFS President requiring a free "presidential size" suite isn't a good look.

Flip Jump

This was first time in Greensboro and I was told on my flight in that the reason they have had it there 3 times in 10 years is that the arena is very affordable and after a week there I know why. I paid top dollar for row B seats which were folding chairs that had absolutely NO leg room and everybody had to leave there seat to let people in and out. The bathrooms are old broken down and no hooks to hang your bag on. The arena food booths are horrible and many were never opened. The skating crowd are different than other sporting events, as we are there for days and stay each day, 8 to 10 hours. I did like the practice rink adjacent to the main rink. I’m skipping San Jose, but plan to return to Nashville in 2022. I enjoyed my experience there in 1997.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
The AZ Diamondbacks are enforcing a clear bag rule beginning this season. I'm sure the rest of MLB will follow. I guess it's a sign of the future for all sporting events. Who wants to walk around with all their personal items visible to everyone?

I've had to do the clear purse thing at all the golf events I've attended, and I use small makeup bags inside it to hold all my personal items. The only thing that's annoying is it doesn't have a slot to hold my phone so I always have to dig for it.

Debbie S

Tip: if you are looking for a clear tote bag, the merchandise sites of NFL and MLB teams sell them (with team logo affixed). NBA and NHL may too.

It doesn't surprise me that Greensboro ice is cheap...it's a mid-size market, not a major metro area, which is why USFS has been gravitating to those in this era of lessened interest and sponsor money. My city would be perfect but our 60-year-old arena is a disaster with no plans to get a new one anytime soon. :(

I thought the bathrooms in the arena were OK, as far as arena bathrooms go. The stalls I was in had a hook but I remember a few didn't. The bathroom near our section in Detroit last year was very nice, like high-end restuarant-like, but that was b/c it was connected to the corporate entertaining area behind our section and very atypical. I wish Detroit would get another event, but in a warmer season, lol.

TanithandBenFan

Author of the Ice and Edge Series
Forgot to add that at least we don't have to worry about hiding food in a clear purse in SJ since they let us take in full meals in 2018. I brought in lunch and dinner from Whole Foods almost every day.

Amazon has lots of cheap clear purse options in all sizes.

Carolla5501

Clear purses are pretty much required at sporting events. All the college games I go to require them. My university sent a bag for each season ticket holder when they did that. You can generally put a cosmetic bag or a small wallet in there to hide your personal items if you want to. But I expect that eventually this will come to figure skating.

I will go back to Greensboro without any hesitation. But I find it interesting that it’s “cheaper”. does that mean that perhaps USFSA is not getting paid but they want to get paid and is having to actually having to pay?

I do think that there are some places that they go to when no one will pay their fee, and those places are either not paying the USFSA base fee or giving them a considerably smaller fee. Greensboro, Colorado Springs, Lake Placid? There’s a reason we keep going back to some places

Carolla5501

I get the larger suite for hospitality, but surely the USFS President could set an example by staying in a regular room like everyone else. If the cost of staging the event is discouraging potential host cities/clubs, the USFS President requiring a free "presidential size" suite isn't a good look.

Let’s give this the benefit of the doubt and assume that part of that suite is also being used for entertainment

I’ve actually stayed on the floor with the suites in the past. And they were generally lots of people in and out of those suites at all times. So I don’t think it’s just the president needs a fancy big room to sleep in

acraven

The ladies' bathroom lines in Greensboro were shorter than those I've experienced at several other Nationals. (I've been to over 30.)

It's standard to have to stand up to let people past you no matter where you sit.

Row 2 was impossible when we initially arrived at the arena. @euterpe spotted the problem (upon later testing my 5'4" knees were pressed against the back of the seat in front of me), and my other seat-mate took up the issue with our usher. The usher immediately sought out a supervisor. They repositioned the chairs that evening; I think they moved Row 1; there wasn't anything they could do about Row 2. Believe me, anyone who sat in Row 2 owes @euterpe and my other seatmate a big thanks.

We were all annoyed that there was one more seat in the two folding-chair rows than in the first permanent-seat row immediately behind Row 2. We had no arm-rests, and having an extra person squeezed into each row made a noticeable difference; that was the narrowest seating I've had at any Nationals. I don't remember such tight quarters for the two previous Greensboro Nationals.

SkateSand

Cat Servant
The clear bags for the SAP Center are restricted in size (12 X 6 X 12), but there is no limit on the number. So for those who normally bring in a large tote, you can instead bring in two (or more) smaller clear totes. I'm pretty sure they are serious about the clear bags because I got numerous e-mails from the SAP Center on their new clear bag policy when it was instituted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information