Royalty Thread #11: Putting the "Fun" in Dysfunctional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
But back to Meghan... I really, really liked her when she first came on the scene and thought Harry was definitely marrying up. I started having my doubts at the time of the wedding and now think this marriage was a terrible mistake. I soured on it because of the hypocrisy, the ghosting of past friends/family, the incessant whining, the entitlement, and the treatment of people behind the scenes—much of which has never hit the tabloid media. None of this has anything to do with racism.

How do you know all these things? From mostly anonymous news reports and even more anonymous blog and message board posts.

And racism has had a lot to do with all of that. :(

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
She knew marrying him meant representing a country. Other girls like Chelsy broke up with him because they didn’t want that.

Reports say Chelsy & Cressida broke up with him due to the constant media attention, not that they didn't want to represent their country. And you are very judgemental. I don't think any of us can really know what the last 2 yrs have been like for her. Or for him having to see his wife & son ripped to shreds in the media. BTW I know plenty of whites who would be delighted for segregation to be legal again.

mella

Princes William and Harry have issued a joint statement regarding what they claim is a false and inflammatory report in The Times:

Harry and William brand 'false' story about their relationship 'offensive'

Really some of these 'sources' who seek to speak on Harry and Meghan's behave aren't doing Harry and Meghan any favours and I am glad that Harry has issued this joint statement with William denying this.

I'm really pleased they've done this and hope Harry and Meghan's friends will cool it. It's not helpful. And if Harry or Meghan are "briefing" their friends then they should both know better and stop it.

Who wore what broach?

Princess Michael of Kent

The apology makes no suggestion that she did not understand the history of the depiction (so i will assume she understood to some extent that it was offensive even if not the depth of the issue) but even more telling are the quotes attributed to her following an earlier accusation!

allezfred

In A Fake Snowball Fight
The UK have school uniforms.

As do many other countries, including those without royal families. :confused:

Let’s expand here... my white stepson is happily married to a Japanese woman and they live in Japan. He also speaks fluent Japanese. He constantly overhears racist remarks behind his back. For example, a couple of outwardly sweet looking women were going off on how he looked like a monkey because he’s got some body hair (very little, actually), and that’s not the worst of it. It’s been going on for years. Sometimes he calls them up short in Japanese to shame them. Even the government doesn’t recognize his last name as the last name of his kids. They have to use their mom’s maiden name. There was terrible racism from the extended inlaws at their wedding. But you know what? He gets on with it. He loves living in Japan and the Japanese, and has the wisdom to realize that most people don’t think like this.

There is prejudice and ignorance in every society. Doesn’t mean people have to suck it up if they don’t like it.

So if the Japanese are hostile to white people it's after many brutal years of oppression by white people. That's prejudice, not racism.

Japan is not the first country I would think of when it comes to being oppressed by white people. Or the 153rd for that matter. :shuffle:

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
How do you know all these things? From mostly anonymous news reports and even more anonymous blog and message board posts.

And racism has had a lot to do with all of that. :(
What are some of your reputable sources re racism?

Andora

Skating season ends as baseball season begins
Thank you to the posters graciously reasoning with those that have the RBF on pedestals regarding racism.

Anyone claiming it's not about race after Princess Michael of Kent (who Lainey hilariously calls "ofMichael") wore that brooch is choosing their ignorance at this point. It's not all about race, but brushing it aside does no favours for anyone.

The irony is that the person who was born to it is the one who couldn't fit in anymore. Meghan has been lovely and gracious and worked very hard, while Harry has appeared far more uncomfortable than she has. He has hated the press forever and I think he did little to nothing to help her deal with the scrutiny because he can not deal with it rationally himself.

I keep coming back to this idea that many of these decisions were really driven by Harry and his own issues.

What has Meghan herself actually done? That we actually know about and isn't just rumour, like this making Kate cry b.s. She shows up, smiles, is gracious, doesn't seem to preen or draw more attention to herself in a crowd by wearing darker, worker colours. And while it wasn't peaceful, it was after the birth of their son that things really went to pot, starting when they refused pictures at the hospital. What a horrible thing to put new mothers through, Royal or not, and everyone started losing their damn minds. Why do we assume that was Meghan's choice, and not Harry's? But the woman always wears it.

What a stupid and insensitive thing to say, when someone is describing actual examples of racist things that have been said to their faces.

Well, that's really their specialty...

I just hope Harry survives all this. I think he has a very tender and bruised heart.

I'm sure your garbage about his wife is considered very compassionate to him. :rolleyes:

So is ambition. As in blind ambition.

Judy

@Oreo that is such a false equivalency. White people can never "understand" the experience of racism. They can understand prejudice, but not racism, because the white race is the race to which all others are compared (and inevitably considered inferior). I'll never remember how in 7th grade history the teacher said "Eastern culture is inferior. Western culture is superior."

So if the Japanese are hostile to white people it's after many brutal years of oppression by white people. That's prejudice, not racism.

I also don't believe people will ever become less racist. I think laws can be passed to make racism more difficult for people, and there can be policies within companies that fire people for egregious cases of racism (like the radio personality who called Archie a chimpanzee), but the racism will always be there and it will never get better.

Also I hate to say it but "entitlement" and "hypocrisy" are two of the words most lobbed at women of color. It's like Michelle Obama being called a gorilla and also "hypocritical" and "entitled" even though she was none of those things.

where do you live? Just asking out of curiosity. No of course white people can’t understand .. I mean they can understand but they haven’t lived it. I treat all people like people regardless of color or background.

Judy

Reports say Chelsy & Cressida broke up with him due to the constant media attention, not that they didn't want to represent their country. And you are very judgemental. I don't think any of us can really know what the last 2 yrs have been like for her. Or for him having to see his wife & son ripped to shreds in the media. BTW I know plenty of whites who would be delighted for segregation to be legal again.

I would be horrified at any type of segregation. It was so, so wrong to ever have happened in the first place.

canbelto

@Judy I live in NYC. Which is a very diverse place. But the school systems are still segregated in a shameful way.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I would be horrified at any type of segregation. It was so, so wrong to ever have happened in the first place.

I share your horror. But that doesn't change the fact that some people are that hateful.

Of all the things said to Meghan "she didn't know her place" is the worst IMO. That's such a elitist thing to say or think. Not to mention racist.

canbelto

The Queen's statement:

“Today my family had very constructive discussions on the future of my grandson and his family,” the reigning monarch shared in a statement. “My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan’s desire to create a new life as a young family. Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working Members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family.

“Harry and Meghan have made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives,” the 93-year-old continued. “It has therefore been agreed that there will be a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK. These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days.”

Judy

I share your horror. But that doesn't change the fact that some people are that hateful.

Of all the things said to Meghan "she didn't know her place" is the worst IMO. That's such a elitist thing to say or think. Not to mention racist.

Social media is very ugly and I avoid it for that reason. The ugly people will always be there to inflame hiding behind a keyboard. Meghan was very much welcomed into the Royal family. I am happy to see the announcement from the Queen saying they have their support. My niece just moved to Victoria with her boyfriend as he’s training for the navy so I’ll tell her to keep her eye out 😁.

skatesindreams

The Queen has issued a statement.

No details, but it sounds like an agreement has been reached that the Sussexes will split their time between Canada and the UK, and will no longer be "full-time working royals," and will be transitioning away from being dependent on public funds (presumably, the Sovereign Grant).
The best possible result.
I hope that the details come together as smoothly as possible, for all concerned.

Lorac

The Queen has issued a statement.

No details, but it sounds like an agreement has been reached that the Sussexes will split their time between Canada and the UK, and will no longer be "full-time working royals," and will be transitioning away from being dependent on public funds (presumably, the Sovereign Grant).

The statement says very little - just the Queen giving her consent to the decision for Harry and Meghan stepping back. There are still the details to be worked out which we have no idea about - as the Queen says some of those are complex. The public funds could also include the cost to the tax payers of covering their security - to be honest we have no more idea of what the new life of the Sussexes will look like than we did first thing this morning.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
@Oreo that is such a false equivalency. White people can never "understand" the experience of racism. They can understand prejudice, but not racism, because the white race is the race to which all others are compared (and inevitably considered inferior). I'll never remember how in 7th grade history the teacher said "Eastern culture is inferior. Western culture is superior."
This statement is SO ignorant. You do realize that Western culture is not the norm in other parts of the world. It certainly isn't in EASTERN parts of the world. In fact, one thing you should realize if you interact with people from all over the world is that there are plenty of people from Eastern countries and cultures who think that Eastern culture is better and that we Westerners are inferior and to be pitied.

So, yes, White people can be the victims of prejudice and racism. It all depends on where you live. It's actually an interesting experience to live somewhere where your culture and your skin color is considered inferior after growing up in a place where you're on top. It can give you a lot of insight into what is going on in the US today.

MsZem

I see the sea
School dress codes, IMHO, are very much based on the old white man / old boy idea of what people should wear. The sooner they are gone, the better. I had one of my better rants when a teacher told my dd that her wearing a tank top on an extremely hot day “distracted the boys.” :angryfire
School uniforms in Israel = t-shirt/sweatshirt/hoodie with the school logo printed on it. We're a very untiffed nation.

Though there have been controversies involving girls being told not to wear shorts while boys are allowed. It's seen as a sign of encroaching religiosity in the school system.

The BBC on royals who work:

What the BRF can learn from Sweden's royal family:

I get the sense that Harry would love to be like Princess Madeleine and live a quiet(ish) life doing his own thing, working on social issues and occasionally popping over for the obligatory royal appearance. Meghan seems more comfortable being in the public eye than he does, though being a target of the British tabloids isn't fun for anyone.

canbelto

@MacMadame As someone who is Asian I can tell you that standards of beauty very much revolve around white standards of beauty. It's considered beautiful to have big eyes, double eyelids, a sharp nose, high cheekbones, and of course white skin. The plastic surgery industry in Asia to get those features is out of control.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
@MacMadame As someone who is Asian I can tell you that standards of beauty very much revolve around white standards of beauty. It's considered beautiful to have big eyes, double eyelids, a sharp nose, high cheekbones, and of course white skin. The plastic surgery industry in Asia to get those features is out of control.

What you should understand is that most white girls can't live up to it either, the standard persecutes everyone. We're all too tall, too short, too fat, too thin, too sharp-featured round-faced curly-haired pigeon-toed muscular flat-chested bumpy-skinned etc etc. There's a category of white boys who only go out with Asian women and categories of black men who will only date white girls and so on and so on. It truly is an intersectional issue.

MLIS

My read of the Queen's statement is that she told them they're in or they're out, and they chose "out." Her use of their first names, not their titles, and her drawing a distinction between "the royal family" and "my family" makes me think that they are not going to be working members of the royal family going forward, although they will of course always be her grandson and his family. I think the transition period will be to make them fully financially independent, i.e. no funds from the Duchy of Cornwall or any other source, either, but they're not going to cut them off immediately. It really is a remarkable statement from HM the Queen -- I've never seen an official statement on Buckingham Palace letterhead use the first names (and no titles) of senior members of the royal family before. Even something about Zara and Mike, for example, would refer to them as Mr. and Mrs. Tindall. Fascinating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information