OES News 2019/20 Season

Orm Irian

I don't see the Senior Nationals results listed for Switzerland yet?

Ladies:
1​
Alexia PAGANINI
177.18​
2​
Noémie BODENSTEIN
156.05​
3​
Yasmine YAMADA
149.97​

Men:
1​
Lukas BRITSCHGI
205.98​
2​
Nurullah SAHAKA
185.71​
3​
Nicola TODESCHINI
177.91​

Pairs:
1​
Alexandra HERBRIKOVÁ / Nicolas ROULET
129.87​

Ice Dance:
1​
Victoria MANNI / Carlo RÖTHLISBERGER
163.23​
2​
Arianna WRÓBLEWSKA / Stéphane WALKER
154.06​

The Euros team is Paganini, Yamada, Britschgi, Herbrikova/Roulet and Manni/Rothlisberger.

Last edited:

alj5

nimi

For those who missed seeing it in the GP Assignments thread, Loena Hendrickx posted this update on her injuries 3 days ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/B4DAKBjJnxC/

Fingers crossed she will be recovered for the second half of the season!
Ritti just tweeted a link to an article in a Finnish newspaper about Loena doing some skating stunt double stuff for a movie called "Free Skate" earlier this week. (Unfortunately, the article is paywalled.)

My first thought: "Oh no! Does her filming a thing in Finland mean that she's not training and coming back for Euros?!" but then I checked her IG and calmed down. Just a week ago, Loena posted a clip of her practicing her step sq and saying she's "feeling back on track" and wanting "to perform my whole program for u guys" so I guess she's doing good and training. Yay! I assume that a little movie gig like that might not take up a lot of training time and probably pays pretty well? (IIRC the Hendrickxes were/are mostly self-funded.) I really really hope we get to see her programs in Graz!

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Checked out the 4 countries results. What happened to Yanovskaya/who was she skating with?
Where a Bidar and the new partner? What does M.CR pairs mean?

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Continuing looking through the OES nationals: is Arles Levandi a son of Anna Levandi-Kondrashove?

nimi

Last edited:

Dobre

Checked out the 4 countries results. What happened to Yanovskaya/who was she skating with?
Where a Bidar and the new partner? What does M.CR pairs mean?

Yanovskaya & Lukacs haven't competed all season. As far as I can tell, no one has posted any updates on them at all. (No confirmation of a split. No info about looking for a partner. No information about a possible injury). I'm not on instagram, but you might try checking her page to see if she has updated it.

sammyf

Yanovskaya & Lukacs haven't competed all season. As far as I can tell, no one has posted any updates on them at all. (No confirmation of a split. No info about looking for a partner. No information about a possible injury). I'm not on instagram, but you might try checking her page to see if she has updated it.
The Hungarian federation posted this week, that the team is out competition this year due to her injury. http://hunskate.hu/mukorcsolya/uj-bajnokok-szuletnek-negy-nemzet-bajnoksag

text_skate

2010 Olympian Anaïs Morand is now in Ice Cross :eek: and could become the next World Champion in this discipline. She skated pairs with Antoine Dorsaz.

I would die a thousand times. With 80 km/h through a Eiskanal "downhill"

Amy L

Pair girls are nuts! I really liked Morand/Dorsaz back in the day.
:rockstar:Anaïs :respec:

text_skate

Yesterday, in the morning: A portrait by Swiss TV srf about Ice Dance team Gina Zehnder and Beda-Leon Sieber, who are participating at YOG:

Introduction
both train in Zurich (Küsnacht)
Beda is 15, Gina is 14

Hobbies?
Gina: swimming, skiing and dancing
Beda: drawing

What are your flaws/quirks?
Gina about Beda: When he's thinking about sth he's always looking up, and then clicks his tongue.
Beda about Gina: Well, at the moment, I can't think of any (with some silent smile in the back of his eye)

What do you like about about Gina?
Beda about Gina: particularly the confidence she has in him. It's important for a lady in ice dance because she's completely dependent on the man: he has to be there for her, when sth happening, or that he catches her, when falls

Falls?
Happen, plus, sometimes they fall together

Where did they meet?
Both were in the same club, first as single skaters. Their coach, who used to be an ice dancer, suggested to team up

Daily routine?
up in the morning just before 7, breakfast, school until 12.30 p.m., then straight to training until 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 p.m.

How many times?
Train for 6 days a week, on mondays off-ice like ballet and strength training

Relationship off-ice?
same as on-ice. A good off-ice relationship is important. They have it.

The interaction between these two is really heart-warming :swoon:. Gina and Beda are so well-spoken.

Interview with their Dance coach Cornelia Leroy:
First she's explaining ice dance: pairs, no jumps, elements, twizzels, RD with pattern, and FD

In Switzerland it's not easy to find a male ice dancer. The big names in CH are single skaters, nobody for dance to look up, or to be inspired. When figure skaters can do jumps, they stay in singles. It's really an enormous task to fill boys with enthusiasm for ice dance.
Now, they've won the jackpot with Beda and Gina, who are from the same club, and decided to do ice dance. Apparently Swiss fed pushed/nudged the club, and told them to build up new teams. In Küsnacht (Zurich) they have three young teams.
Future of Beda and Gina – Re. YOG: The other teams are skating a lot longer together, the youngsters are just getting started (apprx. 1 y). They did all to qualifiy for YOG (inner Swiss comp). Their coach will be satisfied, when they show, what they can do. For the future, she sees a lot of potential, if they keep going, if they don't get injured.

Both geo-blocked :(, you'll know, what to use :cool:. I'll translate later today: two down, none to go ;).

While looking for a post-competition report, I found a pre YOG report on the ice dance team, choose translator of your choice:

as well as a team website with pics, also of the younger team mentioned in the article above:

I enjoyed their interview and liked their perfomances. I hope they're in for the long run. I see potential, and would be very thrilled to watch them grow. :love: 🇨🇭

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
It must have been a special moment for Gina Zehnder in the YOG opening ceremony - she was the last one to receive the Olympic torch to light the cauldron:

Both Swiss singles skaters skated very well in Lausanne:

Anais Coraducci finished 10th overall (150.89) with this free skate (102.86) yesterday:
She was one of the 4 Olympic flag bearers in the opening ceremony:

Noah Bodenstein placed 7th overall (176.92) with this free skate (116.36) on Jan. 12:
Noah was featured in the Olympic Channel's live show yesterday - a clip:
He also recited the athletes' oath in English during the opening ceremony.

Noémie Bodenstein (older sister of Noah and the Swiss Senior national silver medalist) had a brief skating solo in the opening ceremony (her 2 photos with the mascot, Yodli):

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Unfortunately, Loena Hendrickx's name is no longer listed for Europeans in Graz but one of her latest Instagram stories shows her working out on a treadmill type machine so hopefully her current goal is to be able to compete at Worlds in Montreal? Wishing her all the best.

ETA her Instagram post today:
So many setbacks, so few training sessions ... it's hard! Injury after injury, but the love and passion for this sport is enormous. that’s why I am no longer on the starting list of the European Championship.. I will do everything to come back and do what I love, skate! I want to be able to train again without pain. I want to perform and let everyone enjoy my programs. My goal now is to get healthy and make a new start!
I really appreciate all your kind messages and they help me through this hard time!
Thank you! ♥

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting the link to this Youth Olympics article on Estonia's Arlet Levandi before he competed in Lausanne (he finished 12th of 15 men):
Excerpt:
His coach and mother Anna Levandi (Kondrashova) is a two-time figure skating Winter Olympian (1984, 1988) and 1984 world championship silver medallist. His father, Allar Levandi, competed at three editions of the Winter Olympics (1988, 1992, 1994), taking bronze in the Nordic combined at Calgary 1988.
“Sometimes I think about my parents, that they were Olympians and world-class athletes, and I think maybe I should grow up to their level. That’s what I’m trying to do,” Levandi said.
As his coach and a veteran of the figure skating circuit, Anna knows what a step up the Lausanne YOG are for her son. “I understand really well that it’s too early for him. It’s too big, too serious a competition. But he needs to use this chance.
“I feel how difficult it must be for him, but I’m really proud of him. He’s working so hard and really fighting for it,” she said.
Estonia news articles about Levandi's competition experience at YOG (he will compete in the Mixed NOC Team event tomorrow):

text_skate

Pre-comp piece about Ziegler/Kiefer on ORF, isn't geoblocked

They hope for medal, when they deliver, they think, there is a possibility. They've trained well the last weeks and they're ready. It's something special to skate at home, they say. Even if you're a three time Olympian as Miriam (she skated once in singles). Kiefer is two time Olympian.

There will be an interview on telly this evening in ORF1 (Sport am Sonntag), and they are set to feature a documentary about Austrian figure skating, also this evening (8.15 p.m. ORF Sport plus)

reut

My in-depth interview with Miriam and Severin we published just now:

Miriam Ziegler and Severin Kiefer: upping their game towards home Europeans
http://absoluteskating.com/interviews/2019zieglerkiefer.html

They changed their SP which caused them too many troubles in the first half of the season, went back to the 2018 Olympic program, but with new transitions, elements and costumes.

C

casken

My in-depth interview with Miriam and Severin we published just now:

Miriam Ziegler and Severin Kiefer: upping their game towards home Europeans
http://absoluteskating.com/interviews/2019zieglerkiefer.html

They changed their SP which caused them too many troubles in the first half of the season, went back to the 2018 Olympic program, but with new transitions, elements and costumes.

The "I'm gonna be" program? That made me a fan of theirs! Looking forward to it.

text_skate

Link to docu "Eiskunstlaufen - Die vergessene Sportart" (= Figure Skating - The forgotten sport), geoblocked, but for those, who are in Graz...
It's about figure skating in Austria, online for 6 days.

Interview with Miriam and Severin from yesterday evening, also geoblocked:

In these cases I don't understand ORF. No other TV station will air this. So why block it?

reut

Their ISU bio was updated to say their SP is now "Fortitude by Haevn", which was their SP in 2018-19. I guess that was a mistake?

I don't know who updated their bio, but they were definitely practising "I'm gonna be". :) And Severin wrote me in update for our talk: "We wanted to let you know that after the Grand Prix Events we decided to change our short program and went back to the 2018 Olympic program".

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information